Profile for a biography reader from the town of Darwin's birth > Reviews

Content by a biography re...

a biography reader from the town of Darwin's birth

The Life of Rebecca Jones
The Life of Rebecca Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating., 14 Aug. 2017
Fascinating. I have always known a (factual) version of this story because these blind boys were also my mother's cousins, or second cousins or something similar. The story inspired me even as a child because those boys were clever and did well. I don't speak Welsh, sadly nobody thought it was worth the bother of teaching me, so I read this little book in English. No doubt something was lost in translation, but do read it because it paints a fascinating picture of early twentieth century rural Wales. The descriptions chime with all the stories my mother and aunt told me of farm life in the 1920s and 30s. They were an educated bunch of people though, despite modest circumstances, living on tenant farms. My grandfather and mother both went to University; Aberystwyth and Bangor. There seems to have been a desire to educate themselves off the farm where life seems to have been very hard work. I have never heard of, and certainly don't know the writer of this book, but rather weirdly we are distantly related.

Eavesdropping on Jane Austen's England: How our ancestors lived two centuries ago

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting book on socail history, 20 Oct. 2013
This book is very readable. It gives an interesting view on Georgian England. It's about daily life, not politics. It makes reference to many first-hand Georgian accounts of daily life including Jane Austen's letters, various vicars' diaries and letters, and foreigners writing home. It is not a reference book for students of history, but someone interested in social history will be unlikely to be disappointed.

The Autobiography of Charles Darwin
The Autobiography of Charles Darwin

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well worth reading - not to be missed free on Kindle, 13 Sept. 2013
This book was written by Darwin for his own family to read rather than you and me. It is therefore, remarkably personal and intimate. You can hear his 'voice' through the pages. You can feel his humanity. He becomes almost alive. It is worth reading for this reason alone, It is, of course, full of facts about his research and books. It is free on Kindle, it is only a little book and surprising easy to read. Give it a go!