Profile for Kuruvilla Abraham > Reviews

Content by Kuruvilla Abraham

Kuruvilla Abraham (Chennai, India)

Shantaram
Shantaram
by Gregory David Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars I was there, THEN!, 27 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Shantaram (Paperback)
What I absolutely love about SHANTARAM that it is about a particular part of Bombay (Colaba/Cuffe Parade)generally South Bombay, in 1983, which is where I lived too at the exact same time! This is not likely to happen to me again in any other book I may read and it is a TREAT. When he describes a bar like Leopolds on Colaba Causeway, I can feel the heat and the humidity and even hear the noise made by the defective bearings in the overhead fans!

I just love this book and I havent finished reading it yet!

Long Road Out Of Eden
Long Road Out Of Eden
Offered by Media Vortex

4.0 out of 5 stars What happened to "One Day At A Time"?, 24 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Long Road Out Of Eden (Audio CD)
First the introduction, The Eagles were my generations Beatles, so for all of us 40 somethings, a new Eagles album after all these long years, was reason to Party!

Overall, I like it, cant say I love it yet, but I'm sure I'll get there! Standout for me is Henley's "Too Busy Being Fabulous" and I totally love anything that Walsh does, he's the rock'n'roller in the band, and that's where I come from.

Which brings me to the big question.

What happened to "One Day At A Time" Walsh's song about his alcohol problem? They showcased it on the Farewell I DVD and it is MAGNIFICIENT! As good as anything they've ever done, which is why genius is genius, period.

Maybe Walsh is saving it for a solo album?

Maybe I should be asking this question on the Eagles band website?!!!

4 Stars!

UB40
UB40

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brill!, 6 Jun. 2007
This review is from: UB40 (Audio CD)
I agree 2. I've had this album for over 20 years and I still really enjoy listening to it. There isn't a bad song on it and while the other reviewers haven't mentioned it, "You're Always Pulling Me Down' is the standout. This is the album that turned me onto UB40 for life. Buy it. No way will you regret this one.

Queen - The DVD Collection: Live At Wembley Stadium (Two Disc Set) [2003]
Queen - The DVD Collection: Live At Wembley Stadium (Two Disc Set) [2003]
Dvd ~ Queen
Offered by MY APPLE

3.0 out of 5 stars May and Taylor should be ashamed, 26 Feb. 2007
I was absolutely appalled by the video quality of this DVD. For starters it's 4:3 which is pathetic for what was supposed to have been the "biggest rock concert stage EVER at the time" and what's worse is that the video quality is grainy throughout. The camera on John Deacon is the worst, you can barely see a thing through a Deacon shot.

This is a LOUSY tribute to Freddy and May/Taylor should be ashamed of themselves. When Olivia Harrison can re-release the 1971 Concert Fpor banglaDesh in 16:9, what exactly was Queen's problem for a concert that was shot in 1986?!!!

To cap it all there is an interview with the film maker on the second DVD and he goes on and on about what a great job he did! Taylor and May should watch the Eagles Farewell Tour II to understand how good DVD picture quality can be and that is all night shots when this concert took place mostly in bright daylight!!!!

The only thing that kept me from destroying this DVD is the music which is simply awesome.

Now, May/Taylor will re-release this concert AGAIN, this time in 16:9 with digital crisp picture quality and a DTS mix and guess what? Suckers like us will go buy it again.

They never deserved you Freddy. Deacon is the only one who emerges from this with some credit because he refused to be involved in this crappy rip off of a project and that probably explains the atrocious pictuire quality on the Deacon shots!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2011 4:09 AM BST

The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over [DVD]
The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over [DVD]
Dvd ~ Glenn Frey
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the SOUND you dummies!, 22 July 2005
I am amazed that no review talks about the quality of audio on the DVD! HFO set the DVD standard for hi fidelity with it's absolutely MIND BLOWING, DTS audio stream. For the last 10 years, hi fi and home theater stores have played Hotel California from HFO to prospective customers, simply because it makes their equipment sound better than it is!
Watch this DVD on a good quality Home Theater system and prepare to have goose bumps all the way thru.
Musically the Eagles are as tight as ever. "Love will keep us alive", a new song at that time, stands up there with anything The Eagles have ever done. An Eagles Classic.
My personal favorite on the set, is Joe Walsh's surreal vocal on "Help me make it through the night".
Enjoy, you lucky people! personally, I cant wait to get my hands, eyes and ears on the new Farewell Tour 1 DVD!

The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD]
The Rolling Stones: Four Flicks [DVD]
Dvd ~ AC/DC
Offered by SmokeCDs

3.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD Set...But, 2 Dec. 2004
Let me start by putting this in perspective. I've been a lifelong Stones fan, since I was 5 and THEY were 5!(As a band) I used to sing "Mother's Little Helper" in the shower!
Their Licks Tour, allowed me to see them LIVE for the first time in my life and it was one of the great moments in the 41 years I've been around.
Now to get to "Four Flicks" The image quality is great the sound is great but only 1 of 4 DVD's is in 16:9 format and the Stones STILL dont see the need to have DTS sound. And I JUST invested in my big ass 42" Plasma Panel HDTV! :-(
Having said that, Four Flicks is a treat. I have Babylon, which is a better concert than any of the 3 on Flicks but the image and sound quality SUCK. What's nice about Flicks is that you get to see and hear long forgotten favs like "Going to a Go-Go" and it's an awesome feeling to sing along to a song u last heard 20 odd years ago!
If you love the Stones, Flicks is a buy.