Profile for Bobby Elliott > Reviews

Content by Bobby Elliott

Bobby Elliott (Erskine, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Coach Yourself: Make Real Change in Your Life
Coach Yourself: Make Real Change in Your Life
by Anthony Grant

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - doesn't say much, 13 Dec. 2001
I don't know what I expected from this book since I don't normally go in for "life style" or "life change" books. I don't have any major crises in my life - and this book is really intended for people who want to change their lives. So unless you're pretty unhappy about yourself and/or your life then avoid this title. I'm neither so I found most of the book irrelevant. If you're life simply needs a "tweak" rather than a major overhaul then choose something like "The 80:20 Principle".

Simply Brilliant: The Competitive Advantage of Common Sense
Simply Brilliant: The Competitive Advantage of Common Sense
by Fergus O'Connell

3.0 out of 5 stars OK - but there are better books on this, 24 Oct. 2001
Quite interesting. And some stuff worth noting. But mostly... erm... common sense! There are better books on simplicity ("Simplicity") and better books on management ("80:20 Principle"). But not bad, well written - if a little predictable and uninventive.

Introducing Freud
Introducing Freud
by Richard Appignanesi

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea - badly done, 25 Sept. 2001
This review is from: Introducing Freud (Paperback)
The idea of putting across complex concepts in a comic-book is good - and this book is certainly easy to read. But it's let down by poor explanations. Complex concepts are skimmed over and you're really not much wiser having read this book....

The Future Just Happened
The Future Just Happened
by Michael Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read - but nothing special, 16 Aug. 2001
This book is like the TV series - quite interesting at the time but instantly forgetable. The book is actually a collection of short stories about young people who have used the Internet in unusual ways. Most of the stories are interesting - but some are not! There's a much better book in Michael Lewis than this - he hints at it when he discusses politics, the fall of Communism and the New World Order. But this one is OK - if you want to read a few interesting anecdotes about the Internet. Wait for the paperback.

Online Communities: Supporting Sociability, Designing Usability
Online Communities: Supporting Sociability, Designing Usability
by Jenny Preece

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, 8 July 2001
This book is presented as an academic study of online communities - but it lacks the rigour of a serious academic work. No new research is presented and the data is all second hand (and questionable). But that's not my main problem with it. The book just doesn't tell you much about online communities. I'm a regular user of Web-based communities and learned very little that I didn't know already. It completely omits to discuss the largest emerging area of online communities - e-groups.... These services are likely to take over online communities but are not even mentioned in this book. But I did read it all and I did find some parts interesting and there are not many books in this area so I might recommend it. But much better books will follow.

Being Good: An Introduction to Ethics
Being Good: An Introduction to Ethics
by Simon Blackburn

2.0 out of 5 stars Muddled and hard to read and understand, 8 July 2001
This book tries to find a philosophical rationale for ethics - and fails. The book is surprisingly boring for a small book, and I found it confusing and badly organised. I had no idea where the book was going and how the various chapters were meant to link together. I admit that I know very little about philosophy before I started to read this book. Unfortunately, I still know very little about it having read this book. The author's views come across very clearly - which is OK if you agree with them - and a pain if you don't. 'Think' us a much better book.

Simplicity
Simplicity
by Edward de Bono

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, worthwhile - but also disappointing, 26 Feb. 2001
This review is from: Simplicity (Paperback)
First the good points about this book - making things simple *is* important so this book imparts an important message; it's also short; and it's cheap. Now the bad news...It's lacks fore thought, it lacks structure, it's repetitive, it's almost entirely bereft of good examples (maybe he doesn't have any). Would I recommend it? Yes - it's a quick, cheap read which (possibly because of its repetition) reminds you of the importance of making things as simple as possible...

Weaving the Web: The Past, Present and Future of the World Wide Web by its Inventor
by Tim Berners-Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read - but the author is a bit annoying!, 17 Jan. 2001
This is a good book by any standards - well written, good pace - and very interesting if you have an interest in computers or the Internet. It's not too technical and provides a unique inside into the creation of the World Wide Web. It's probably the best book I've read on the history of the 'Net. BUT the author comes across as a bit of a pain - self pity (about not exploiting the Web) and a little frustrated. This aside, get this book if you have an interest in the Internet.

Business at the Speed of Thought
Business at the Speed of Thought
by Bill Gates
Edition: Audio Cassette

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book on how to do business in the 21st Century, 8 Jan. 2001
I really enjoyed this book. I work in the public sector and thought that some of it might be irrelevant to me - but it was all very interesting. The book really describes how any organisation - private or public - should use information technology. The book is well written and easy to read - you can dip in and out without losing the thread. If you work in an IT-backward company (like me) do your IT Officer a favour and give him a copy of this book.

The Science of Secrecy: The Secret History of Codes and Codebreaking
The Science of Secrecy: The Secret History of Codes and Codebreaking
by Simon Singh

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to cryptology, 12 Nov. 2000
This is the best (and most accessible) book on the subject that I've read. I only caught one episode of the series on TV (it looked good but I was too busy to see any of the rest) but it tempted me into buying the book. Money well spent. The book is designed as an introduction into the subject and I found it an interesting and easy read. Having finished the book in a few days I consider myself much more knowledgeable about the subject. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in privacy and encryption - but especially the beginner. It should be mandatory course text for every student in the Information Age!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9