Profile for Mike Carew > Reviews

Content by Mike Carew

Mike Carew "Mike" (Berkshire, UK)

Zanussi ZAN150A EasySteam Mop
Zanussi ZAN150A EasySteam Mop

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Reliable, 17 Sept. 2017
Reliability is poor. Maybe due to hard water, but who knows. Second one I have owned and they both gave up after a year or so. This time 7 days after the one year guarantee. Avoid this product

Grimm Season 6
Grimm Season 6

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 April 2017
This review is from: Grimm Season 6 (Amazon Video)
Great stuff

Slap Shot
Slap Shot
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 April 2016
This review is from: Slap Shot (Amazon Video)
One of the true great films

Dark Space (Book 2): The Invisible War
Dark Space (Book 2): The Invisible War

5.0 out of 5 stars I just love a space opera, 5 Aug. 2013
And this is one of them. The pages keep turning (alright the button keeps clicking) and we move from one cliff edge to the next. As with the first book we are left wanting more. Just how will mankind get its act together to survive? Will Alara and Ethan be re-united? Just what role will Hoff play if he ever becomes an Admiral again and will Tova and her kind look upon humans as something other than food?

This is a great deal of fun. Like all good story tellers, Jasper leaves us always wondering what next, waiting on the edges of our seats with our mouths open. I really am looking forward to the next book in this series.

Dark Space
Dark Space

4.0 out of 5 stars Old Fashioned Space Opera, 1 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Dark Space (Kindle Edition)
I bought this because I wanted a bit of escapism through science fiction. I hadn't read a book of this sort for a long time, and was looking to simply enjoy it. And I did. This had elements of Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Start Trek, Starship Troopers and probably some others as well. I felt in need of more when I got to the end and felt that this could be the prologue for a much larger story. We have only just left the Dark Space, and have yet to meet the big bad enemy (insects ala Starship Troopers) and the other life forms. So much to look forward to. I cannot give this more than 4 now, because the story i only beginning. But it does have great potential.

This is the first time I have read anything from Jasper T Scott. He will be on my reading list in future. I used to read Asmimov, Herbert, Heinlein, Lem, Le Guin etc. I hope that Scott rekindles my interest in this genre.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Coding is a Proffession, 13 Aug. 2012
This book challenges the coder to become a professional practitioner. Many coders behave like tradesmen rather than professionals and therefore get treated that way. The clean coder behaves like any other professional and expects to be treated that way. So what does it mean to behave like a professional. Its hard work but it also sets you apart. Bob challenges us to work hard to keep sharp. To understand all aspects of the profession and not just the bits we like. He also helps us with how to deal with pressure. All in all this is a great book which you may find challenging in behaviour terms.

Bob also pays me a complement in the preface, Thanks Bob

Just For Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary
Just For Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary
by Linus Torvalds

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight into the person behind Linux, 6 July 2001
Linus turned out to be that strange combination of what you expected and what you didn't. He is certainly a geek who spent a large amount of time hidden away working at his computer. However I found his views on Open Source refreshing and his general outlook on the industry and life, to be unexpected. Following his travels from Finland to California revealed alot about why he has succeeded and how it has changed him.
Linus in certainly unlike the rest of the key figures in the computer industry and I hope that we get many more like him.