Profile for Mrs. Samara Levy > Reviews

LORD of the Supernatural: Out of the occult and into the arms of Jesus
LORD of the Supernatural: Out of the occult and into the arms of Jesus
by Mattia Harris-Bolton

2.0 out of 5 stars Very difficult to read, 11 Aug. 2013
I feel quite bad giving this book such a low rating as it is clearly a very personal outpouring of this lady's life. My critiscism is not with the story or the message, but in the way it is written.

I originally bought this book as someone I know has been involved with various aspects of the occult. I wanted to give him a book that might help him to see how this may have had an unwholesome influence on his life and how the power of Jesus can overcome this. I am glad that I decided to read it first. I will say that I have only managed to get about halfway through it as it is not written in a way that is easy to read. I couldn't believe that a book written in this way could be published. I looked up the publisher and realised that it is a self published book.

Basically it needs to be fully edited and rewritten in parts if it has even half a chance of being successful and being taken seriously. The grammer is very poor and each chapter, no matter how many pages is one long paragraph with no breaks. It reads in quite a disjointed way and can be a bit confusing. If it were completely rewritten I'd like to give it another try but as it stands I probably won't read it all, and wouldn't feel comfortable lending it to anyone.

The Cross and the Switch Blade
The Cross and the Switch Blade
by David Wilkerson
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't want to put it down, 11 Aug. 2013
This is a compelling book which is so easy to read. It tells the most extraordinary story of how God will do the most amazing work through someone who is prepared to live completely by faith and follow God's direction. I can't recommend this highly enough.

Chasing the Dragon
Chasing the Dragon
by Jackie Pullinger

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I had to buy two copies so I always have a copy to lend out, 11 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Chasing the Dragon (Paperback)
I read this book for the first time about 17 years ago. It made a big impression on me then. I recently read it again and still found it mindblowing the second time around. This is the true story of a woman who was prepared to give up a comfortable life in the UK go and work as a missionary in the Walled City in Hong Kong. Historically this was a city of drug dens, traids (gangs) and prostitution. It demonstrates how God will do the most amazing things through someone who is prepared to give up everything for Him and put their trust in Him. Once you get into this book it is hard to put it down. I can't recommend this highly enough.

Learn To Read With The Alphablocks - Phonics Next Steps Volume 2 [DVD]
Learn To Read With The Alphablocks - Phonics Next Steps Volume 2 [DVD]
Offered by Assai-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong with this, 11 Aug. 2013
My nearly four year old son loves this and really enjoys watching it. I like that fact that he finds it entertaining but that it is educational too.

They Speak With Other Tongues
They Speak With Other Tongues
by John L. Sherrill

5.0 out of 5 stars Baptism in the Holy Spirit, 11 Aug. 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book. Sherrill takes a fairly conservative journalistic approach to researching and presenting the history and experience of the baptism in the Holy Spirit. He writes as someone that has not personally experienced this phenomenon but, through his research, becomes quite fascinated by it and eventually decides to go for it. It is well written and easy to read. Definitely recommended.

Winnie's Amazing Pumpkin
Winnie's Amazing Pumpkin
by Valerie Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful pictures and a cute story, 9 Feb. 2011
My 17 month old loves this book. I did think there might be too many words to get through to keep his interest but he is really taken with the pictures and he is completely mesmerised from start to finish. There are so many details to keep him focused and he loves the fact that the pumkin turns into a helicopter at the end. A great book - we will definitely be buying more from this series.

Clap and Sing (Amazing Baby) (Amazing Baby)
Clap and Sing (Amazing Baby) (Amazing Baby)
by Emily Hawkins
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Stimulating and lovely, 7 Jan. 2010
My 18 week old was given this book & CD for Christmas and it's been a definite winner. The CD is brilliant with funky, modern arrangements of traditional nursery rhymes. Each one is in a completely different style and very modern and my baby loves it when we do actions to Row your boat, The grand old Duke of York, Once I caught a fish alive etc. I love it so much I'm going to buy some of the other books with CD's in the range.

Half of a Yellow Sun
Half of a Yellow Sun
by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy subject but well written and easy to read, 23 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Half of a Yellow Sun (Paperback)
As someone that knows very little about Nigerian history I found this very informative. It gave me a strong sense of what life might have been likein Nigeria in the 1960's for both white ex pats in addition to the Nigerian middle and upper classes.

It created a very harrowing picture of how a country can change rapidly from a prosperous, beautiful place into a living hell where savage deaths become a part of every day life, and how people "fighting for the cause" loose sight of other people's humanity.

The clearest picture that this book paints is that of civil war being one of the most destructive things that can happen within a country. It depicts how insignificant and worthless people's lives become in favour of a political cause. It also shows how far removed the politics of civil war really are for every day people living in the country for whom surviving, and eating from day to day is a fight.

In spite of being heavy going in terms of the subject matter, it is very well written and easy to read.

Animal's People
Animal's People
by Indra Sinha

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 23 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Animal's People (Paperback)
I found the first few pages of this book quite hard work as it starts off with Animal, the main character, being quite cocky as he debates whether or not to tell his story. I wondered whether it would continue in this vein but it did settle fairly quickly into a more consistent narrative voice that I found easier to relate to.

One thing that comes across is the honesty of the character. He shares his most intimate feelings, hopes and desires regarding issues of life which some people might find uncomfortable to discuss. However, it comes across as very genuine. At the start of the story I found Animal's manner quite irritating but warmed to him as the story progressed. It is hard not to become fond of Animal, warts and all, as the book goes on.

This book was very easy to read, yet dealt with some harsh realities that are day to day life for many people in the world. It gives a good insight into life in the slums, while showing the very definite sense of honor held by the people who have no choice but to accept that life. Well worth reading.

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars A great escape, 28 Dec. 2004
A captivating book written in a simple yet elegant style. It sesitively describes the love and sense of pride felt by a native African for her home country and the way of life there.
Mma Ramotswe makes sense of life through her day to day encounters with her friends and the people she meets. Her philosophies are beautifully described and she is shown to grow through the book from a young girl with a poor experience of marriage who develops into a more mature able to learn to love and trust again as she accepts her soul mate's proposal.
A great book which is easy to read and very absorbing.......having read this one you'll want to read the rest of the series!

Page: 1 | 2