Profile for Joey > Reviews

Content by Joey

Joey (London)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Lenovo MIIX 3 7.85-Inch Tablet (Intel Atom Z3735F 1.33 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC, Camera, Wi-Fi, Windows 8.1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant apart from short battery, 17 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good tablet. It was pretty simple to start up and does everything our laptop does. It is fast and responsive and pretty much a bargain for £99.

My only niggle is the battery life - we have been using the cable it came with to charge it up but have had to do so everyday when it hasn't been used excessively.

Remington IPL6500 I-Light Pro Hair Removal Device
Remington IPL6500 I-Light Pro Hair Removal Device

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact IPL machine, 26 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a compact IPL machine for home use. It is relatively easy to use, let down only by the fact the instructions aren't that clear for when the machine is ready. As another reviewer has already pointed out, it beeps for a short while and when the green light remains static, it is ready to go.
You then need to select a level according to skin tone and the body part you want to pay attention to and then press a button to get flashing. The wand helpfully indicates when you have it in the right position so you can't really go wrong.
Time wise, it was quicker than I thought, a bit longer than shaving (as you would expect) but less than half an hour for legs.
Highly recommended just read the instructions first.

Now That I've Found You
Now That I've Found You
by Ciara Geraghty

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 14 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my second CG book. I loved Lifesaving for Beginners and was really eager for her next book.

Now that I've found you is an unlikely love story - lots of other reviews have provided a precis so I won't repeat but needless to say, both characters have an emotive back story and CG's effortless writing means you can't help but become involved in their tale.Very much recommended.

Nespresso by KRUPS Pixie Clips Capsule Coffee Machine, Black/Yellow Neon
Nespresso by KRUPS Pixie Clips Capsule Coffee Machine, Black/Yellow Neon

5.0 out of 5 stars Nespresso Pixie Clips, 28 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great slimline product. We have a Dolce Gusto machine but quite frankly, it is large and bulbous and living in a small flat with a tiny kitchen, it just took up too much space. The nespresso machine is a perfect space saving coffee machine.

It was really easy to set up, literally took it out the box and plugged it in. The instructions were clear and was very quick and easy to perform the machine rinse. The water heated up within seconds and the coffee tastes great.

The yellow bits are interchangeable with the black panniers, I don't think we'll bother with these but can see that they would add a splash of colour to a kitchen.

Overall, a simple to use and efficient coffee machine

Miele Complete C3 Celebration EcoLine Plus Hard Floor Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, 4.5 Litre, 800 W, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and powerful, 18 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like this hoover. It is lightweight and smaller than the Henry we had been using so perfect for a small flat, or I guess for anyone lugging it up and down stairs. It was really easy to assemble, taking only a few minutes to put together and the pole is extendable/retractable so literally "fits any size".

I don't think we've had any other Miele products but you really can tell from the quality of it that it is built to last. It is really quiet when it is on,and although I'd never paid any attention to the noise with our other hoover, hearing how quiet this one was really made me notice the difference. From what I understand, it is a lower wattage than most other hoovers, however, I did not notice any difference, in fact, it picked up more dust and fluff than our battered old hoover.

It also comes with some accessories which are stored in the cover, brilliant solution as I couldn;t tell you where the ones for the old hoover are now! All in all, it seems like a lot of thought has been put into the design and working of this machine and it really is useful.

Highly recommended.

Philips Double Contour 4-in-1 Ladyshave Sensitive HP6368/02
Philips Double Contour 4-in-1 Ladyshave Sensitive HP6368/02

4.0 out of 5 stars Phillips Ladyshave, 9 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It has been years since I used a ladyshave but was very glad to receive this item. It is lightweight, a nice design and comes with a little cleaning brush and bag to keep it in as well as a charger. It would be easy to take with you if you were going away for the weekend etc.
The instructions state it takes ten hours to fully charge and I think you would get several turns before more charging is required. I used mine on dry skin but instructions also state it can be used in the water. It gave a close shave, not as close as a normal razor but it was really easy to use, one simple on/off button. It didn't clog and didn't require lots of cleaning.
It's currently on Amazon for around the £30 mark which I think is about right. It feels sturdy and was overall impressed with the result. Being really picky, I would have liked a shield to go over the rotating heads when it is packed away - storage is a premium in my house so with lots of things in the bathroom cabinet together it would just have made me happier.

Revlon PhotoReady Eye Primer and Brightener - 2.4 ml
Revlon PhotoReady Eye Primer and Brightener - 2.4 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Natural looking but watery, 9 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using this for the last week or so and have a mixed review. The positive is that this is a natural looking primer/under eye concealer. The downsides for me are that the twisting cap at the bottom is rubbish; one second the brush is dry and the next, the liquid is gushing out - it really is all or nothing. The other thing I would say is that it is quite watery/not as thick as other products on the market so there is a lot of excess that I need to wipe on a tissue after each use.

The Extra Virgin Kitchen The No 1 Bestseller: Recipes for Wheat-Free, Sugar-Free and Dairy-Free Eating

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but expensive, 5 Feb. 2015
I became a bit more food conscious around 6 months ago. I have no illness, intolerance or allergy that means I need a restrictive diet but I have been wanting to put goodness in so to speak.

I have had this book a few weeks and have cooked several of the recipes. I would say that I have quite an extensive pantry with herbs, spices, oils, vinegars etc and was surprised by the fact I hadn't heard of some of the stuff in this book and the amount of things I hadn't even tried. My first port of call was the Chia bon bons - personal taste, I didn't like them, I now know chia seeds are not my thang.
I also make the quinoa with fennel and harissa; AMAZING. The harissa is going to be a firm staple in my house from now on, it was delicious and easy to make and clearly far better than shop bought. I'm not a massive fan of fennel but the flavours in this recipe complemented each other perfectly.
Last night saw the sticky wings and chilli dipping sauce. Again, personal taste, I didn't like the sauce but the sticky wings were great. My boyfriend practically licked the plate and was surprised when he realised it was from this book.

I've also made the banana loaf with home made nutella - quite bitter but you know it is better for you than the sugar filled, additive ridden stuff in the shops.

The greatest revelation to me was the Spiraliser - raw courgette was not something I would have thought appetising but I've had it every day for lunch at work!

My main gripe with this book is the cost of the ingredients. I have been using "healthy" cookbooks as I said for the last 6 months, For a family of 3, I have been feeding us all on about £60-70 per week. The week I decided to plan our menu from here, our shopping came to over £120!!! As I said, I have a very well stocked pantry but found the things I lacked were really expensive (Chia Seeds were £7!!!, Barley malt extract £6 so you can see how having to buy 6 or 7 ingredients adds up). The other thing I found was that there was a section on "Spiralised meals" - having never heard of a spiraliser let alone eaten the end product of one, I found myself paying £15 on top of the £20 for the book for a utensil I didn't know I needed, however, it has opened up a whole new world to me! I'm just skint until payday as a result!!

If you NEED to be wheat/gluten/something free then this book is definitely a great investment. If you are wanting to be a bit healthier or discover new ingredients/experiment then I would suggest looking at Susan Jane's website first as most if not all the recipes are on there for free and you can plan what you might want to get.

Davina's 5 Weeks to Sugar-Free: Yummy, easy recipes to help you kick sugar and feel amazing

4.0 out of 5 stars Hate to say it but I like it, 5 Feb. 2015
I was dubious about buying this book primarily because Davina irritates me, however, having been sugar conscious as opposed to sugar free for a fair few months and having seen sample recipes in the Sunday supplements, I gave it a go.

I have to say, I am very impressed. I almost detracted another star due to all the pictures and Davina-isms in the recipe introductions but felt mean spirited as I genuinely like the recipes.

I have been making her Granola for about 4 weeks now and have it every morning with almond milk. It is really filling and tasty. It is also really good it you have kids that want to help in the kitchen. My 3 year old actually asks every week when we are making it (not that he actually eats it, he just likes making it).

The best recipe by far is Davina's Power Balls. I've got a fair few "healthy" cookbooks each with their own variation on healthy chocolate type treats but these are by far my favourite. Everyone who has tried them has asked for the recipe and even my boyfriend eats them without whinging about it "not really being a treat".

The book also contains good family dinner recipes, however, if you have a lot of cookbooks like me, you will spot some similarities to other books. The pork mince chilli is really nice and is very similar to the turkey one in Gwynnie's book but it's nice to change it up every now and then.

I have detracted a star as I found this to be quite pan and utensil intensive and the kitchen is always in a state after. Secondly, the cooking times and portion sizes seem to be a bit off. I've found some things take a lot longer to cook (hash browns) than the book says and have put this down to the fact Davina says she uses an Aga, not sure if this is the reason. Also, some of the recipes say "10 servings" where I only get 7 (the granola but I'm probably just being a gutser) and others like the soups and stew go a LOT further which is no bad thing but it kind of leaves you up in the air as to how much you're actually cooking if you are trying to plan for the week.

Highly recommended for those wanting an introduction to sugar free cooking and becoming a bit more conscious about it.

Philips Sonicare AirFloss HX8222/02 Rechargeable Power Flosser Pink
Philips Sonicare AirFloss HX8222/02 Rechargeable Power Flosser Pink

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So, 5 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been wanting one of these for ages and my first impression was one of disappointment, however, after a few weeks of using it, I'd say I just had high expectations that weren't met. My overriding thought on this product is "adequate".
It does the job and removes all those stubborn little bits between teeth and is FAR more easy than wrestling with actual floss or those little floss sticks you can buy. My niggles are that there is no storage case for when it is not in use. Living in a small new-build flat, I don't have room to keep all my toiletries etc out and need to pack this away into a cupboard. There is no protective covering for the head and just think for the price, it should be included. Also, you need to ensure you spray out all the water after each use or the next time you use it, you get a really stale taste. I have found it impossible to tip any left over water out due to the design of the well.

All in all, it does the job but think there are a few improvements that could be made. I've seen reviews for similar products and do agree that they are not worth the price tags they attract and would be disappointed if I paid more than £25 for this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17