Profile for Joey > Reviews

What She Left
What She Left
by T. R. Richmond

1.0 out of 5 stars Good concept that didn't hit the mark (for me), 22 May 2015
This review is from: What She Left (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is not very often that I cannot finish a book and I feel unfair in awarding this only one star as I have not seen it through to the conclusion, but having thought about it for a few days, I can't come up with anything more.

Alice is a student who is found drowned. Her college professor decides to piece together her life through social media posts, diary entries and newspaper clippings. The narration to the tale comes in the form of the professor's letters to a friend. I was so impressed by the concept that I was really looking forward to reading this book - the idea that a single life could be captured through the words of others combined piqued my interest and maybe gave myself unrealistic expectations.

I found the first few pages ok, I wasn't immediately drawn in, but sometimes a book is a slow burner. I struggled through the first encounter with the professor which is when my heart began to sink. The professor is beyond pompous, he is so arrogant in his writing that I began to get annoyed very quickly. I ploughed through the ensuing diary entries and social media updates but just struggled with the changing time scales and didn't feel like the voices were markedly different from each other. I gave up about 20% of the way in as I didn't feel it would get any better.

I'm sure some people will love this, but I'm afraid it was not for me.

GILDA Aha Lotion
GILDA Aha Lotion

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected...., 22 May 2015
This review is from: GILDA Aha Lotion (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This turned out to be a different product to what I was expecting. The image appeared to be a milky coloured liquid so I was expecting a cream of some sort but what I got was a spritzing tonic which is applied before a moisturiser.

The label also says it is an exfoliator but I'm not really sure how...I'm not an expert but my only experience of exfoliating has involved a grainy texture which this doesn't have and doesn't require rubbing in....

I've used it each morning and evening for the last two weeks and on the plus side, can say a little goes a long way, so considering it is around the £40 mark is fairly good value for money. I have relatively sensitive skin and have had no issues with this product.

Clearblue Plus Visual Pregnancy Test Sticks - Pack of 2
Clearblue Plus Visual Pregnancy Test Sticks - Pack of 2
Offered by pharmacysaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Treid and tested..., 22 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's hard to know what to say about a stick that you pee on.... I've used several brands of pregnancy tests before and not really sure what sets Clearblue apart from the rest, but they are my brand of choice, and it seems, many others.

Their sticks somehow seem more reliable than other brands, a bit more sturdy and in my experience at least, very accurate (particularly the digital one).

This stick has a fatter wand to pee on and is ergonomically designed - it has a slight angle to it to alleviate fears you might not "hit" it. Bit pricey for monthly users but will be the ones I return to for confirmation of any other home test results!

Lenovo MIIX 3 7.85-Inch Tablet (Intel Atom Z3735F 1.33 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC, Camera, Wi-Fi, Windows 8.1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant apart from short battery, 17 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good tablet. It was pretty simple to start up and does everything our laptop does. It is fast and responsive and pretty much a bargain for £99.

My only niggle is the battery life - we have been using the cable it came with to charge it up but have had to do so everyday when it hasn't been used excessively.

Remington IPL6500 I-Light Pro Hair Removal Device
Remington IPL6500 I-Light Pro Hair Removal Device

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact IPL machine, 26 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a compact IPL machine for home use. It is relatively easy to use, let down only by the fact the instructions aren't that clear for when the machine is ready. As another reviewer has already pointed out, it beeps for a short while and when the green light remains static, it is ready to go.
You then need to select a level according to skin tone and the body part you want to pay attention to and then press a button to get flashing. The wand helpfully indicates when you have it in the right position so you can't really go wrong.
Time wise, it was quicker than I thought, a bit longer than shaving (as you would expect) but less than half an hour for legs.
Highly recommended just read the instructions first.

Now That I've Found You
Now That I've Found You
by Ciara Geraghty

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 14 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my second CG book. I loved Lifesaving for Beginners and was really eager for her next book.

Now that I've found you is an unlikely love story - lots of other reviews have provided a precis so I won't repeat but needless to say, both characters have an emotive back story and CG's effortless writing means you can't help but become involved in their tale.Very much recommended.

Nespresso Pixie Clips Capsule Coffee Machine by KRUPS - Black/Yellow Neon
Nespresso Pixie Clips Capsule Coffee Machine by KRUPS - Black/Yellow Neon

5.0 out of 5 stars Nespresso Pixie Clips, 28 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great slimline product. We have a Dolce Gusto machine but quite frankly, it is large and bulbous and living in a small flat with a tiny kitchen, it just took up too much space. The nespresso machine is a perfect space saving coffee machine.

It was really easy to set up, literally took it out the box and plugged it in. The instructions were clear and was very quick and easy to perform the machine rinse. The water heated up within seconds and the coffee tastes great.

The yellow bits are interchangeable with the black panniers, I don't think we'll bother with these but can see that they would add a splash of colour to a kitchen.

Overall, a simple to use and efficient coffee machine

Miele Complete C3 Celebration EcoLine Plus Hard Floor Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, 4.5 Litre, 800 W, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and powerful, 18 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like this hoover. It is lightweight and smaller than the Henry we had been using so perfect for a small flat, or I guess for anyone lugging it up and down stairs. It was really easy to assemble, taking only a few minutes to put together and the pole is extendable/retractable so literally "fits any size".

I don't think we've had any other Miele products but you really can tell from the quality of it that it is built to last. It is really quiet when it is on,and although I'd never paid any attention to the noise with our other hoover, hearing how quiet this one was really made me notice the difference. From what I understand, it is a lower wattage than most other hoovers, however, I did not notice any difference, in fact, it picked up more dust and fluff than our battered old hoover.

It also comes with some accessories which are stored in the cover, brilliant solution as I couldn;t tell you where the ones for the old hoover are now! All in all, it seems like a lot of thought has been put into the design and working of this machine and it really is useful.

Highly recommended.

Philips Double Contour 4-in-1 Ladyshave Sensitive HP6368/02
Philips Double Contour 4-in-1 Ladyshave Sensitive HP6368/02

4.0 out of 5 stars Phillips Ladyshave, 9 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It has been years since I used a ladyshave but was very glad to receive this item. It is lightweight, a nice design and comes with a little cleaning brush and bag to keep it in as well as a charger. It would be easy to take with you if you were going away for the weekend etc.
The instructions state it takes ten hours to fully charge and I think you would get several turns before more charging is required. I used mine on dry skin but instructions also state it can be used in the water. It gave a close shave, not as close as a normal razor but it was really easy to use, one simple on/off button. It didn't clog and didn't require lots of cleaning.
It's currently on Amazon for around the £30 mark which I think is about right. It feels sturdy and was overall impressed with the result. Being really picky, I would have liked a shield to go over the rotating heads when it is packed away - storage is a premium in my house so with lots of things in the bathroom cabinet together it would just have made me happier.

Revlon PhotoReady Eye Primer and Brightener - 2.4 ml
Revlon PhotoReady Eye Primer and Brightener - 2.4 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Natural looking but watery, 9 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using this for the last week or so and have a mixed review. The positive is that this is a natural looking primer/under eye concealer. The downsides for me are that the twisting cap at the bottom is rubbish; one second the brush is dry and the next, the liquid is gushing out - it really is all or nothing. The other thing I would say is that it is quite watery/not as thick as other products on the market so there is a lot of excess that I need to wipe on a tissue after each use.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18