Profile for Joey > Reviews

Content by Joey

Joey (London)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Taylors of Harrogate Espresso Coffee Capsules Nespresso Compatible Kenya Heirloom (Pack of 6, Total 60 Capsules)

4.0 out of 5 stars Rich coffee but not as strong as an 8, 15 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These Kenyan coffee capsules are Nespresso compatible and come in packs of ten, in small and compact boxes, so good if you are short on storage space.

The blurb says these have a fruity taste which almost put me off, however, having sampled them I am a fan (I couldn't detect any "fruit" - probably my unsophisticated palette!). These pods taste richer than the blue pods Taylors are also selling and probably my favourite of the two. As other reviewers have mentioned, the strength guide is a bit misleading, the coffee, in my opinion is more of a 4/5 than an 8.

Taylors of Harrogate Espresso Coffee Capsules Nespresso Compatible Colombian Huila (Pack of 6, Total 60 Capsules)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not strong, 15 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like the packaging of these nespresso compatible coffee pods and was drawn in by them. They come in packs of ten in compact boxes - each pod is not individually wrapped so is good if you don't have much storage space.

The coffee itself is smooth and rich, however, as I think other reviewers have stated, the strength guide is misleading. I think these are marketed as a 9 on the strength guide but I would put them more as a 4. If you are looking for strong coffee I would give this a miss but it suited my taste. They have gone down well with anyone who has visited my house.

The Sun in Her Eyes
The Sun in Her Eyes
by Paige Toon

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 3 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Sun in Her Eyes (Paperback)
I am a MASSIVE PT fan and have been looking forward to this release for the last year.

Amber is married to Ned and when her father is taken sick in Australia, Amber immediately flies back to nurse him. Amber's life in London hasn't been going so well - her marriage needs work and she has been made redundant. Back in her old home town she comes across her unrequited teenage love, Ethan and old feelings resurface. The book then follows Amber and the decisions she makes about her marriage and Ethan.

I really like that PT has created a love story out of a less than perfect situation. In the last year or so, I have lost my interest in "chick-lit", struggling to identify with 20 something protagonists (I'm mid 30s) who have great careers, great clothes and are just missing the perfect man in their life, only to get him, lose him temporarily and then get him back. With The Sun In Her Eyes, PT has shown what happens at the end of that fairytale, that your life doesn't stay perfect just because you bagged the man of your dreams. It shows that actually, circumstances do take a toll on relationships and that yes, you will still find other people attractive and examines the choices Amber makes. It wasn't the story I was expecting, Ethan certainly wasn't a stereotypical love interest but PT managed to make me fall in love with him (and out) just as Amber did. I loved that the ending wasn't "clean" and really want a sequel to find out what happens a few years down the line.

I think PT has an incredible skill in her writing - her books are easy to read and the prose is by no means heavy, but what is there packs a punch. I have read all of her books and have felt everything that is being described as it if is happening to me. I genuinely felt Amber's panic when she received her test results, I felt her distress when Ned told her about Zara, I felt her confliction over feeling jealous and righteous but also wanting Ethan too...I could go on and on.

In case that leaves you in any doubt, I highly recommend this and any of PT's other books. If you haven't read any before then you are in for a treat, for all the rest of us we now have another year to wait...(thank goodness it is nearly Jessie Jefferson time!)

All This Has Nothing To Do With Me
All This Has Nothing To Do With Me
by Monica Sabolo

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 3 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a strange book...it details a broken heart through the use of photos, charts and diagrams but didn't hit the mark for me. The photos look like exhibits in a court case!

I think I have really missed the point with this book, it felt disjointed and random and wish I could have felt the emotion other reviewers have noted when reading this.

What She Left
What She Left
by T. R. Richmond

1.0 out of 5 stars Good concept that didn't hit the mark (for me), 22 May 2015
This review is from: What She Left (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is not very often that I cannot finish a book and I feel unfair in awarding this only one star as I have not seen it through to the conclusion, but having thought about it for a few days, I can't come up with anything more.

Alice is a student who is found drowned. Her college professor decides to piece together her life through social media posts, diary entries and newspaper clippings. The narration to the tale comes in the form of the professor's letters to a friend. I was so impressed by the concept that I was really looking forward to reading this book - the idea that a single life could be captured through the words of others combined piqued my interest and maybe gave myself unrealistic expectations.

I found the first few pages ok, I wasn't immediately drawn in, but sometimes a book is a slow burner. I struggled through the first encounter with the professor which is when my heart began to sink. The professor is beyond pompous, he is so arrogant in his writing that I began to get annoyed very quickly. I ploughed through the ensuing diary entries and social media updates but just struggled with the changing time scales and didn't feel like the voices were markedly different from each other. I gave up about 20% of the way in as I didn't feel it would get any better.

I'm sure some people will love this, but I'm afraid it was not for me.

GILDA Aha Lotion
GILDA Aha Lotion

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected...., 22 May 2015
This review is from: GILDA Aha Lotion (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This turned out to be a different product to what I was expecting. The image appeared to be a milky coloured liquid so I was expecting a cream of some sort but what I got was a spritzing tonic which is applied before a moisturiser.

The label also says it is an exfoliator but I'm not really sure how...I'm not an expert but my only experience of exfoliating has involved a grainy texture which this doesn't have and doesn't require rubbing in....

I've used it each morning and evening for the last two weeks and on the plus side, can say a little goes a long way, so considering it is around the £40 mark is fairly good value for money. I have relatively sensitive skin and have had no issues with this product.

Clearblue Plus Visual Pregnancy Test Sticks - Pack of 2
Clearblue Plus Visual Pregnancy Test Sticks - Pack of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Treid and tested..., 22 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's hard to know what to say about a stick that you pee on.... I've used several brands of pregnancy tests before and not really sure what sets Clearblue apart from the rest, but they are my brand of choice, and it seems, many others.

Their sticks somehow seem more reliable than other brands, a bit more sturdy and in my experience at least, very accurate (particularly the digital one).

This stick has a fatter wand to pee on and is ergonomically designed - it has a slight angle to it to alleviate fears you might not "hit" it. Bit pricey for monthly users but will be the ones I return to for confirmation of any other home test results!

Lenovo MIIX 3 7.85-Inch Tablet (Intel Atom Z3735F 1.33 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC, Camera, Wi-Fi, Windows 8.1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant apart from short battery, 17 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good tablet. It was pretty simple to start up and does everything our laptop does. It is fast and responsive and pretty much a bargain for £99.

My only niggle is the battery life - we have been using the cable it came with to charge it up but have had to do so everyday when it hasn't been used excessively.

Remington IPL6500 I-Light Pro Hair Removal Device
Remington IPL6500 I-Light Pro Hair Removal Device

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact IPL machine, 26 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a compact IPL machine for home use. It is relatively easy to use, let down only by the fact the instructions aren't that clear for when the machine is ready. As another reviewer has already pointed out, it beeps for a short while and when the green light remains static, it is ready to go.
You then need to select a level according to skin tone and the body part you want to pay attention to and then press a button to get flashing. The wand helpfully indicates when you have it in the right position so you can't really go wrong.
Time wise, it was quicker than I thought, a bit longer than shaving (as you would expect) but less than half an hour for legs.
Highly recommended just read the instructions first.

Now That I've Found You
Now That I've Found You
by Ciara Geraghty

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 14 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my second CG book. I loved Lifesaving for Beginners and was really eager for her next book.

Now that I've found you is an unlikely love story - lots of other reviews have provided a precis so I won't repeat but needless to say, both characters have an emotive back story and CG's effortless writing means you can't help but become involved in their tale.Very much recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18