Profile for Suze > Reviews

Content by Suze

Suze (Tyne & Wear)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Vegas to Varanasi (Fortytude Series Book 1)
Vegas to Varanasi (Fortytude Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Holiday Reading, 14 Mar. 2016
I downloaded this book for free and finally got around to reading it - and I'm very pleased that I did! It's a witty book which is always a plus with me and I found it to be a quick, easy read - I'd recommend it for a holiday book. I loved the descriptions of India - the author has a talent for making the scenes there come alive. At times the book is very 'American' - I don't say that as a complaint, merely an observation. For example there are several 'ya think's in there. I'd definitely read other books by Shelly Hickman on the strength of her style in this one.

Danger in Academia (Sliding Sideways Mystery Book 2)
Danger in Academia (Sliding Sideways Mystery Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars More Chick-lit than Mystery, 29 Mar. 2015
I've just finished this book and found it very easy reading. The writing style is easy going but I don't think it can really be classified as "A Mystery" - it's more like Chick-lit about a young woman's life and the development of a relationship with a barely explored or explained mystery somewhere in the background. It would make a good holiday read which you can pick up and put down without losing the main thread of the book in the intervening hours. In essence, a pleasant, non-taxing read for when you need to while away a few hours.
Don't be misled by the genre - if you like a good mystery story and want to be fully engaged with plot development and character-led books, stick to something like a Kellerman or Fairstein.

R.BAWA.® Pack Containing 5 Parts. Black Leather Wallet Case FOR SONY XPERIA SP + 2 Screen Protectors + 2 Stylus Pens

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing quality, 21 Mar. 2014
I bought this phone case to replace a much cheaper version in the same style. The cradle on the previous one broke after a couple of months so I had high hopes for this one - well, it had to be better if it was more expensive didn't it? Wrong!
Sadly, it's not even the end of March (and I bought this at the end of January) and this cradle has already broken at the end - leaving a sharp, jagged edge - and cracked near the power button. Perhaps the inner phone cradle in all of these type of covers is just not strong enough or too brittle to withstand everyday wear and tear. The two that I have bought certainly were not. I won't be buying another in this style and will either buy one of the "pouch" types or a gel cover.

At Last (The Elizabeth Gardner Trilogy Book 3)
At Last (The Elizabeth Gardner Trilogy Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Really Disappointed!, 15 Dec. 2013
I absolutely loved the first book I read by this author - These Foolish Things. The writing was great, I loved the characters and I loved the interaction of the main characters in the book. The character dialogues were witty and I couldn't wait to read more and I actually kept reading this author's blog to find out when the next book was due to be published.
I downloaded this latest book a few weeks ago and I noted from the book details that it was a bit shorter than the first book, but I was prepared for that and I finally got around to reading it this weekend. It only took a couple of days but really the content could have been condensed into far less.
Too much of the beginning of the book is given over to describing how many times they kiss each other on the cheek, for minutes, kissed away tears, kissed passionately, kissed tenderly, etc. I understand that they love each other, that it's new love and they need to touch each other frequently, but this feels like overkill.
The conversations between Ty and Elizabeth seem to have lost their teasing edge for the most part and that makes them less lively characters as a result. Yes there are still some interesting exchanges between them, but for the most part, the characters in general lost much of their roundness and life this time around.
I don't think there was enough going on in this book to justify its length and it felt like it had been padded out to justify another book. I don't know if that's going to happen, but I won't be rushing to buy it if it does.
This author clearly is skillful writer and I'd thoroughly recommend the her first book, but don't expect the same sort of enjoyment if you also buy this one. I've read many books which are a lot worse than this one, but I began to read this with high expectations after These Foolish Things and it was this that caused the disappointment.

Prologue (to These Foolish Things by Susan Thatcher) (The Liz Gardner Trilogy.2)

1.0 out of 5 stars Only 5 pages! Don't bother - not worth it, 30 July 2013
First of all, there is nothing wrong with the quality of this piece of writing it's the QUANTITY and overall content that I take issue with.

I read the book which follows this Prologue (These Foolish Things) and really enjoyed it. I love this author's style so I looked at her author page on Amazon and came across this prologue. I was quite happy with its bargain price of 77p so downloaded it. Had I looked more carefully at what I was downloading, I might have noticed that it gave an estimated length of 5 pages but I didn't check the details until afterwards, so I'm giving you advance notice of what you're buying.

The prologue is no more than a 5-10 minute read and is set, oddly enough, 10-15 years (I'm guessing here) AFTER the end of These Foolish Things. Something major has happened to one of the characters and Liz begins to reflect on the past . . . cue opening credits for These Foolish Things. There, I've summarised the whole piece in 2 sentences and saved you 77p! Also, don't believe the "Product Description"; it relates to the main book and not this prologue.

It really doesn't add anything to what happens in the following book and I feel that it ought to have been included in the book and become the first few pages of These Foolish Things anyway and certainly not issued as a stand-alone piece of writing - this smacks of a publisher getting greedy and looking to make more money! (**I've just checked and this Prologue IS the first few pages of the paperback so I don't know why kindle readers were made to pay extra for it!)

As this series of books is billed as a trilogy, I suspect that we'll learn more about what the major incident was, as well as an explanation of what happened in the "intervening years" anyway so my advice to you would be to read book 2 and then save your money and buy book 3 if and when it's published and just don't bother with this one!

These Foolish Things
These Foolish Things

4.0 out of 5 stars A Witty Romance, 29 July 2013
For someone who doesn't usually read much romantic fiction, I seem to be reading a fair bit lately! However, I'm very pleased to say that I'm happy I got around to reading this book: it is one of those rare books that really makes you enjoy the wit of the main characters. Liz is full of defensive humour and self-deprecating one-liners tho' she can also use her intelligent wit to wither her opponents. She is a thoroughly likeable, credible character - someone you'd like as a loyal friend.

I loved the build up to the romance but whilst I found the courtship exciting and realistic the "will-they/won't-they" element of their romance went on just a little too long. I found myself thinking "oh for goodness sake get on with it!" but having said that, the writing was always very good if a bit too extensive at that point.

Oddly enough, towards the end I felt it all went a bit too fast which seemed out of character for Liz and I felt this part could have been prolonged! But overall, this was an excellent read and I love this author's style. The emotionally-charged scenes were very well written and I often read the words with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. I have seen that there is a prologue to this book for sale at 79p as I write and I think I'll have to invest in that as well.
My criticisms are fairly minor really and I'd say that this book is definitely worth a read.

More Ketchup than Salsa: Confessions of a Tenerife Barman
More Ketchup than Salsa: Confessions of a Tenerife Barman
by Joe Cawley

4.0 out of 5 stars Experience the difficulties from a safe distance, 26 July 2013
I've had this book on my "to read" list for quite some time and I'm pleased I finally got around to it. I only know Tenerife as a tourist - and I visited back in the 1990s so I found many of the descriptions of the ex-pat communities and British Pubs very familiar.
I enjoyed the author's style very much and loved his humourous turn of phrase. Very rarely, I found some of the situations "over-described" but for the most part my interest was held.
I experienced all of the panic - albeit from my safe position as reader - as the two couples tried to become successful pub owners virtually overnight and couldn't wait to discover how their often difficult and tricky situations were resolved. I always found myself rooting for them and was quite relieved that all of my culinary and entertaining disasters occurred in the safety of my own home and not in front of a crowd of hungry strangers!
I liked the main characters and will eventually get the sequel. It will make me look more closely at British run pubs abroad even more closely too.

No One's Child
No One's Child

3.0 out of 5 stars Oddly Distant, 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: No One's Child (Kindle Edition)
I did find this book interesting and was saddened at the life this child was forced to lead but it felt like it was written by someone else and not by the child at the centre of the story. At times, it just felt like a straightforward narrative record of an event - the way you would describe a journey from A to B with not very much "feeling". As a reader, I always felt on the outside with no emotional ties to the characters as details were few and far between. It may be that such a dispassionate style helped the author record the events of her life accurately, but for me, it seemed to be lacking something.

Woman at Willagong Creek (Jessica Hart Vintage Collection)
Woman at Willagong Creek (Jessica Hart Vintage Collection)

4.0 out of 5 stars Standard Love Story, 26 Jun. 2013
I downloaded this book as a freebie to have as a holiday read. It's a formulaic love story - I'm sure that the ending won't surprise you - but this author's style is good and there were some scenes which made me feel quite emotional and my eyes filled with tears as she described scenes and character responses so vividly.

I don't very often read love stories, but wouldn't hesitate to read another by this author when I needed something light for a holiday.

Just This Once (Escape to New Zealand Book 1)
Just This Once (Escape to New Zealand Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent first novel, 26 Jun. 2013
I downloaded this book when it was free as I was loading up my kindle for a holiday. I enjoyed the idea of it and found it easy reading. I loved the idea of the international "gay mafia" just waiting to help clueless women find "the dress". The main characters were engaging enough, but I found some of the sex scenes tedious and overly and gratuitously detailed - did they really add that much to the story? Certainly not for me, but I may be in the minority.

I'm not a fan of rugby, but there wasn't too much detail to make it boring for me. Might be worth a read, but recommend cautiously to Grandma!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4