Profile for Tangerine > Reviews

Content by Tangerine

Tangerine "tangerineman" (North Yorkshire)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
LEGO 41101 Friends Heartlake Grand Hotel
LEGO 41101 Friends Heartlake Grand Hotel

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully imposing and fun lego set, 4 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Without doubt this set has the 'wow' factor! It is a huge set, a big build and took plenty of time for my 6 year old to complete (which required significant assistance from myself). The Grand Hotel makes a fantastic centrepiece to any lego sets you have - especially if they are from the 'City' or 'Friends' range. It was a delight to construct, the pool and revolving doors particularly appreciated features. It would have been lovely if there was four rooms rather than 2 but all in all there is little to be critical of.

At the current price (£92) this would, in my view be a fantastic main Christmas present (my apologies for raising that time of the year in the summer but it is simply an observation of mine). So imposing and such a great build. It is a well designed building and the construction of it easy to follow. I'd suggest children around the ages of 9 or 10 could probably do much of this themselves. My daughter did well on some elements but I was heavily involved in the building (which I appreciated greatly!). The fact remains that younger children will still enjoy it (my youngest loved this and the sheer size of it as a main set in the numerous ones we have was quite evident), you just have to accept a greater role in the construction which if you are like me won't be an issue!

Lego have done it again for me. Five figures, a huge central structure (in lego terms) as well as a large number of additional pieces such as the taxi/car make this a good value set. It is a challenge for perhaps younger lego fans but with encouragement and some help the Hotel is soon built. We have taken some time to build this (we started over Father's day weekend) and since we have incrementally got there but the building is as much a part of it. The enjoyment my children get from roleplaying with the figures in the hotel is a delight to see and I just can't fault the beauty of lego in this regard. It remains a firm favourite and we will continue to purchase additional sets to compliment this one. The only issue is that the lego, when we lay out everything, is like a little town in itself and we have little room for any other toy!! It is a small price to pay for the fun and enjoyment this set contributes too which in its own right is enough for hours and hours of play and fun. An absolute joy.

McLevy, The Collected Editions: Part One Pilot, S1-2: Nine BBC Radio 4 full-cast dramas including the Pilot episode (BBC Physical Audio)
by David Ashton
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars An old fusty sandwich - but a very tasty one!, 23 Jun. 2015
At last it would appear that the supreme McLevy plays are to be fully released. With ten series in total many have been left to own 8 if they are lucky. This first collected set then offers the first two series (8 episodes in total) with the added bonus of the pilot which I had never heard before. McLevy follows the diaries (with some poetic licence) of James McLevy the great Edinburgh thief taker. A cast of super actors and written by the tremendous David Ashton I cannot fault these stories. It is an utter delight and I cannot wait for more. I just hope they release them all so I can basque in the glory of these wonderful plays. For those who have never heard any of them I urge you to give them a try. It is a wonderful set of performances (the main characters played by Brian Cox, Siobhan Redmond, David Ashton and the excellent Michael Maxwell-Perceval) - this is not to detract from the others either who all play their part in contributing to this wonderful drama. Magical, there is nothing else to say!

LEGO 41104 Friends Pop Star Dressing Room
LEGO 41104 Friends Pop Star Dressing Room

5.0 out of 5 stars You are on the stage in 5 minutes!, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With the stage set it was obvious that there had to be a dressing room one too. This is a charming set, which I would say at its price point a good deal. I don't always feel that way about these sets but in this instance I think it is priced right. As ever my eldest daughter helped construct and whilst the 'lights' around the mirror were a little fiddly she found the basis of this pretty straightforward to build. Watching her follow the instructions and put the set together remains something I am fascinated by and she is much more confident than she was when she first started. She is methodical in her approach like me which amuses me. But construction aside the set once built (and combined with the stage set) offers an alternative and additional level of play which my children have really enjoyed. Once again then Lego have hit the target - a good value set that compliments other sets in this 'Pop-star' range really well.

LEGO 41105 Friends Pop Star Show Stage
LEGO 41105 Friends Pop Star Show Stage

5.0 out of 5 stars True Lego spirit at its heart, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Lego 'stage show' has been another well received set. Given its intended age range of 7-12 my 5 year old found this a little more challenging in the construction phase and needed quite a bit more help with several more fiddly bits to construction than we have previously encountered. However, that meant I got to build more so I was quite pleased. I remain unsure about lego sets for boys or girls but I also accept Lego know their market and these sets in the 'Friends' range appear very popular indeed. We have a large number of them now and my daughters love them.

The set, once built, allowed for imaginations to run wild with various figures taking their turn on the stage! This leads neatly to one of my slight criticisms of the set in that Lego could easily provide 4 figures rather than 2 - for me, this would be more generous and reasonable. It is a slight criticism all the same. Overall though I do feel this set feels a little out of place with the others in the range which are town based - even the ranch feels better placed within the context of the sets we have. This, I know, has several elements (there is even a Tour Bus!) but it did feel a touch out of place. Perhaps this is just me but overall, seeing my children play with it and the other sets they have let me know one thing for sure. Lego remains an addictive toy that allows wholesome fun for hours and hours. It may not be quite the same when I were young - you got a box of bricks and made it up as you went along - but in many ways that remains - it is just more directed with a build already pre-planned you still 'play' and the outcomes are all unknown. For that lego, I salute you. You still got it!

LEGO Friends 41094: Heartlake Lighthouse
LEGO Friends 41094: Heartlake Lighthouse
Offered by Toybroker-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely lego set, 16 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another Lego Friends product and yet another that has been enjoyed almost as much by me in the construction than in the play my daughters have had with it. The eldest of my children loves building lego products but found this one (at 5 years of age) the toughest of the sets she has encountered (and we have many!). However, she embraced the challenge and when built I certainly think it helps her appreciate it all the more when she plays with it. This set is rather nice and I particularly like the ice cream 'sign' that sits outside the shop. I think this is about right in terms of price also so a good value set which is impressive when its finished. It presents a nice challenge and is another thumbs up from this house, a lovely lego set.

LEGO Friends 41093: Heartlake Hair Salon
LEGO Friends 41093: Heartlake Hair Salon

4.0 out of 5 stars Short back and sides please!, 16 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughter has really got into lego and I have enjoyed seeing her become as interested in it as I did when I was younger (and if I am honest - still am!). I remain a little unsure whether it was necessary to have a specific 'girly' lego - lego was universal and never stopped my sister from playing with it. This slight doubt aside I take it for granted that Lego know their market. This hair salon set is nicely made and my daughter (who is 5 was able to construct the majority of this on her own with very little help from me). This is the beauty of lego, the freedom it offers with easy to follow instructions but also the possibilities it allows the builder to alter the design slightly as they see fit. Ours is very slightly different from the instructions but it still works - lego remains supreme for this and whilst I still prefer the random blocks in a box and let your imagination free type situation, these pre-designed sets still offer these possibilities. A nice set, which my only criticism is that it is a little too expensive. Otherwise, very good.

Russell Hobbs 21200 Aura Hand and Stand Mixer - White
Russell Hobbs 21200 Aura Hand and Stand Mixer - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Budget dual mixing machine, 6 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This hand/stand mixer has some real good points. Firstly, it has a nice sized metal mixing tin and being able to be used in two functions means this product has two distinct uses and in some respects that is quite a handy thing. So does it work? The short answer is yes. It does mix up ingredients (for a sponge cake for example) although you do need to give it a little bit of help by drawing some parts of the mix into the centre of the mixing bowl. I did notice that the more ingredients you put in, the harder the mixer worked - and whilst this is obviously expected, it was straining more than I thought it would.

The rotating mixing blades mean the mixing bowl spins as the mixture is formed - again though, this is hit and miss - it sometimes works, it sometimes didn't. If it doesn't you can manually do it if you wish. My main issue with the unit though is how unstable to the mixer seems when in in the stand position. It locks in but this doesn't feel particularly stable and even more so when you power this thing up - even on the lower settings the thing shakes a little more then you'd expect. However, this is a budget product and although you can tell, it does stir up the ingredients (if you help a little) to a nice consistent mixture.

The results then are good and if you are looking for a budget mixer this is well worth some consideration. Overall, not bad at all.

DelTex® Replacement USB Charging Charger Cable Cord Lead For Fitbit One Wireless Activity Sleep Tracker
Offered by DMB Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Well priced and well made, 6 Jun. 2015
Having lost a charger cable for the fitbit one we needed a replacement. This is a well made yet better priced alternative to the 'official' replacement and I really can't tell the difference. Well worth it in my view, a good product.

Bosch AQT 35-12 Plus Pressure Washer
Bosch AQT 35-12 Plus Pressure Washer
Offered by Toolstop_Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact pressure washer with decent performance and clever all in once lance, 5 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Bosch 35-12 pressure washer certainly has the 'feel' of a well made product. Being a Bosch item I'd expect no less. It is also very compact - smaller than the K2 Karcher I have (which I never see as friends and family always borrow it). I also have a Nilfisk which has been excellent but developed a fault a few months ago. Having moved storage space was at a premium so this was an interesting option to try. I love my Karcher but I don't really consider it mine anymore and with the Nilfisk having got injured (probably due to the constant use it received) I was eager to try this.

I like how the cables fold into the unit neatly and the way the handle flips down for even more space saving. The unit comes with a '3 in 1' lance so unlike any other pressure washer I have ever used you don't have several attachments (if you wanted a patio cleaner you would need a separate attachment for that) but with this as is you simply turn the head of the lance and it applies three different pressures. One is low pressure (to be used with the detergent - which itself is pumped into the unit via a hose which although they work aren't great as they can fall over easily). The second is like a dirt blaster (very high pressure) and the third is like the standard pressure for everyday use.

Performance then, was ok. I had expected a little more grunt but still, once the water had got into the unit and any kinks in the cables were corrected (I have seen these time and again affect the quality of performance) the unit worked well. I wasn't as impressed as I was using the Nilfisk and Karcher but this space saving pressure washer can do what I would call the lighter/medium jobs - bicycles, patios that aren't huge etc. A heavily soiled car or patio would possibly test this pressure washer.

So, generally not too bad. Small and with a clever all-in-one lance it means you aren't changing attachments (which I have never been bothered about frankly). Performance was ok and whilst I expected a little more power it will still do a useful job in helping clean garden furniture, toys, cars and bikes. And for that I am sure it will be well appreciated.

BT 1000Mbps Broadband Extender Flex Kit - Twin pack
BT 1000Mbps Broadband Extender Flex Kit - Twin pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Improved internet connection with a 'simple' plug!, 4 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These broadband extenders are a useful product and I have found it has improved connection for my upstairs television quite significantly. The box is nicely constructed and within it are the two extender plugs, two ethernet cables and a user guide. Setup is easy and the guide really clear on what the flashing lights mean. Once set up you can use the device you are targeting with the other plug and in theory you should have improved internet access on that device. In my case it has improved the television upstairs quite markedly and I am impressed. The plugs are well made too but one slight gripe is the price. However, in my experience they work and I think you can link up more plugs as well to the same network so I have to say, it is a thumbs up from me. Really good!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20