Profile for Quality Reads UK Book Club > Reviews

Content by Quality Reads ...

Quality Reads UK Book Club "Quality Reads UK" (London, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Sojourners in Shadow
Sojourners in Shadow

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Club Pick, 5 Aug. 2013
Sojourners in Shadow by Steven Beeho
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Reviewed by Author's Fried - Quality Reads UK

Favourite setting ... As bloody as the scene was, I really liked the fight sequence when Lotus fights the writhers. It was as if Transformers crossed paths with Anaconda. Definitely, unique.

Favourite scene .... When Dynamo talks about the humans dying out and how the cyborgs will carry on.

Favourite quote ... "You will hate yourself for your own thuggery in time because you will bear the brunt of the repercussions."

Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book from the author.

Four Paws (The Quillective Project Book 1)
Four Paws (The Quillective Project Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Club Pick, 18 July 2013
Cover - All of us loved the cover, it was simple and even though some of us needed awhile to figure it out, it was meaningful.

Formatting / Appearance - There were no issues at all.

Content - I think the purpose this book was written and the fact that all proceeds are going to charity should be reason enough to buy the book. If you need more motivation, here's why my book club and I liked the book. The poems are well-written and you know it comes from the author's personal experiences with their own pets. This would be a good book for a classroom or for a family to read together.

What I liked - Each author's perspective was different and the poems were about different animals. Talk about taking creativity to new heights. My book club members and I will definitely be recommending this book to others.

What I didn't like - Nothing comes to mind.

Rating - 4 / 5 stars.

Disclosure - I received a complimentary copy from the author which did not affect my honest opinion.

How You Leave Texas
How You Leave Texas

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Club Pick, 9 July 2013
Was the book description accurate? In most ways, yes. I was looking forward to reading about these four women. We've all left home in search of something different and I looked forward to reading these stories. The description was close to what was given in the book.

How did you feel about the opening / ending sequences of the book? Each story was unique but many of us at the book club did not appreciate the open ended, "you figure out" endings. If the author was going for a "Who killed JR Ewing" moment, this was an epic fail. The stories were good up to the ending and you're left discussing the "ifs and maybes" with your book club members.

Was this book worth reading? Tough one. I liked the idea. I liked the women in the stories. What I didn't like was the over use of "and". At one point, we counted "and" 5 times in a single sentence. It wasn't a long sentence but it could have been separated by a semi-colon, or broken up into two sentences. I would recommend this book to readers who don't mind a few glitches but the book does need a good polish.

Time and Space
Time and Space

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Club Pick, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Time and Space (Kindle Edition)
Was the book description accurate? The book description definitely let me know what to expect and I loved the names of the characters - Time, Space and Hope. Ironically, when we were discussing this book, the movie "In Time" with Justin Timberlake was showing on Paytv. The play with words and their double meanings definitely made this book interesting.

How did you feel about the opening / ending sequences of the book? I preferred the ending. Throughout the book, you feel like you're in a race and sometimes pushed between time and space. But as the book ends and things are wrapped up, you can't help but appreciate such excellent writing.

Was this book worth reading? Yes, this is a definite read. It won't be a light read but if you want a book that makes you think and sucks you in, this is definitely the book for you.

The Titan Drowns (New Atlantis Time Travel Romance Book 6)
The Titan Drowns (New Atlantis Time Travel Romance Book 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Club Pick, 3 July 2013
Was the book description accurate? The book description was accurate and the time travel bits definitely got me interested. I liked how the writer combined time travel elements, romance and the Titanic. In some ways it was like Downton Abbey meets a more modern London.

How did you feel about the opening / ending sequences of the book? The beginning dragged a little bit for me. Be it the character development or the long descriptions on each setting, I enjoyed the book once I reached 20% onwards and several book club members agreed with me.

Was this book worth reading? If you are looking for a good escape into a different era and sizzling romance, this is definitely a book I recommend. The poetic writing style has you engrossed in most sections and you can't wait to get to the end.

INK: Eight Rules To A Better Book
INK: Eight Rules To A Better Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise, perfect and definitely handy., 1 Jun. 2013
Cover - We loved the palm print of ink and the little blotches of ink. It's a light take on what a writer's hand looks like after 'tackling' a blank page and yet it symbolises what can be meant about the conflicts an author faces when trying to finish a novel.

Formatting / Appearance - There were no issues at all. And we especially liked the marker pen headers for each chapter.

Content - We've started reviewing self-published books since late November 2012 and noticed the string of issues that can go wrong for a self-published author. I think this is a handy guide for anyone starting out on his or her self-publishing journey. Most of the basic issues are tackled and authors are able to evaluate what will suit their books and what will not. This isn't the first book we've read by the author but it was definitely different from Dark Prairies.

What I liked - The bit when he evaluates "Do I care?" This is especially true for readers. Like it or not, we need to feel the connection and care for the characters in a book before we truly appreciate it. Being in a book club, we know that different characters reach out to different readers so this section on "Do I care?" was definitely something we could all relate too.

What I didn't like - Nothing comes to mind.

Rating - 5 / 5 stars.

Chasing Pigeons
Chasing Pigeons

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs Polishing, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Chasing Pigeons (Kindle Edition)
Was the book description accurate? Ummmm, what book description? If I don't know what your book is about, how am I going to decide whether I want to read it or not?

How did you feel about the opening / ending sequences of the book? Forget the opening and ending sequences. I found this book tedious. The byline says the book has had an editor. This is not apparent when you read the book. At least 3 adjectives are used in almost every sentence. Missing words occur more than once. For instance, the main character does not "sit next TO him", she sits "next him". The use of commas & "and"s are not entirely accurate which does not make for a comfortable read. When a new person speaks, their speech needs to go in a new paragraph and lastly, thoughts need to be differentiated by either a new paragraph or italics. Some already appeared in italics and some didn't which made me going back and trying to understand who was saying what and who was thinking what?

Was this book worth reading? I think if it is given a good polish, then it will be worth reading. Right now, you spend too much re-reading the sentences to understand the story.

Beyond Escape
Beyond Escape

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance & Mystery, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Beyond Escape (Kindle Edition)
Was the book description accurate? It was spot on and I looked forward to reading more about how Kim dealt with the collision of her past and present.

How did you feel about the opening / ending sequences of the book? Both were equally good and I definitely liked the chemistry between Camillo and Kim. The moments were so passionate despite Kim trying to sort herself out.

Was this book worth reading? For those who like a little bit of romance topped with a good mystery, this book definitely for you. Kim is a character that comes with many flaws which makes her human and easy to connect with.

THE GARDEN: The Unauthorized Biography of Adam and Eve
THE GARDEN: The Unauthorized Biography of Adam and Eve

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-written and extremely interesting, 20 May 2013
Post to blog and GoodReads.
5 stars.

Was the book description accurate? I liked the book description and it provided a good summary about what the book was about. Although, nothing prepared my book club members and I for the interesting read.

How did you feel about the opening / ending sequences of the book? The ending sequence. This book is filled with many secondary characters and although confusing at times, it was absolute fun to see where and how they all ended up.

Was this book worth reading? This is most definitely one of the best books I have come across in a long time. The writing is flawless and it raises some very interesting questions on an everyday subject. Do you believe what you are told or do you question it?

Influence: Body Language Silent Influencing: Employing Powerful Techniques for Influence and Leadership (Leadership Influence Project and Team Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 May 2013
Was the book description accurate? Yes, the book description was accurate and readers will know what to expect from this handy non-fiction book.

How did you feel about the opening / ending sequences of the book? The opening sequence offers better background as to why you would actually need this book for business or personal relations. I think the most important thing to note is that the book touches on how your non-verbal actions actually influence decisions and reactions from people.

Was this book worth reading? A lot of research has gone into this and this was an educational book that I will keep close to me for a long time. If you are looking at improving interpersonal skills, then this is definitely the book for you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12