Profile for PaulH > Reviews

Content by PaulH

PaulH "BD" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 (PC/Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and solid, 28 Jun. 2015
Just great for the amateur photographer

Cafédirect Fairtrade Espresso Vivo Coffee Pods (6x10 Pack) (Nespresso® Machine Compatible)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, and good value, 27 Dec. 2014
My favourite coffee taste, and these fit perfectly in the Nespresso machine. Never had any problems with these at all.

Mens Womens Dunlop Novelty Slippers Funny Gift Present Size 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Mens Womens Dunlop Novelty Slippers Funny Gift Present Size 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Price: £10.00 - £15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall good, but quality is low, 27 Dec. 2014
When these arrived, the seam to the rear of one of the claw slippers was open, and the stuffing was coming out. It wasn't worth the effort of returning it and waiting for a replacement, so I've stitched it up. Apart from this, the 8-9 size are a tight 'cozy' fit for me (normally an 8.5). They are comfortable, though.

Wahl Dual Head Personal Trimmer Nose Nasal Ear Eyebrow Clipper Rinse Clean Battery Powered Wet & Dry Grooming Shaver Set

1.0 out of 5 stars Mine arrived complete with someone else's nasal hair, 7 Nov. 2014
Put the battery in, and it didn't work. Just couldn't get it started. Probably because the battery compartment was scratched and stained. Then I was horrified to see that someone before me had got it to work, because there was still some hair on the trimmer end.

iOttie Easy One Touch XL Universal Car Mount
iOttie Easy One Touch XL Universal Car Mount

5.0 out of 5 stars Sticks forever, and holds firmly, 7 Nov. 2014
Finally a mount holder that I can stick onto the dashboard of my Focus - its texture has meant that other non-sticky mounts loose their suction too quickly. But this 'sticky' mount doesn't leave any residue. There is a button in the centre of the holder which is pressed in when the phone is positioned, triggered a snappy closure of the arms to hold it in place. This snap feels a little harsh, so I tend to hold it when it happens to avoid it crashing into the phone.
I have an HTC One (M7), and it fits very well in the mount. However, it's worth noting that one of the bottom arms of the holder partially covers the micro-USB slot on the phone (which is not central but on the right-hand side), but a slight shove to the side rectifies this.

The Little Book Of Letting Go: A Revolutionary 30-day Program to Cleanse Your Mind, Lift Your Spirit and Replenish Your Soul
by Hugh Prather

2.0 out of 5 stars Would be good without the Christian references, 5 Sept. 2014
There's too much about ‘god’ in here for my liking. At first I was enjoying what I was reading, with some valuably pithy stories and some good, useful common-sense approaches to tackling worry. But about a quarter of the way through the book, out of nowhere, ‘God’ and ‘the Divine’ starting creeping into the narrative, and it began to alienate me. Don’t get me wrong, there are some very good thoughts, techniques, and exercises in here, but I am an atheist and felt disappointed that I was having to make the effort to negotiate around the religious statements (being bathed in God’s light, references to the Bible, etc) to get to the good points. Then it became too much, and I gave up on the book. I couldn’t help but feel disbelief (pun intended) at the temerity of teaching the reader how to take responsibility for their own thoughts and actions whilst simultaneously dispensing their sense of wellbeing to the benediction of a mythical deity.

If you’re a Christian, you will probably really enjoy this book. If you’re not, it could be a very good lesson in controlling your impatience.

Mindfulness at Work For Dummies
Mindfulness at Work For Dummies
by Shamash Alidina

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a replacement for a counsellor, but it's a very good start, 28 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I went through a period of suffering from extreme stress and anxiety at work. It had a profound physical and emotional effect on me, to the point where it made me sick. I think a lot of us know this feeling of being overwhelmed and a sense of uselessness. I turned to mindfulness from a recommendation from a friend, and got this book to kickstart my research. And I'm really glad I did.

It's a long book (~380 pages) and there are audio downloads to listen to as well, so it's an investment in time. I found myself becoming a little impatient as I wanted immediate and full results, and it felt that some chapters were not directly appropriate to me (there are a few chapters on applying mindfulness to your organisation as a leader, which I am not). However, I did notice that after the third chapter (which feels like the first chapter that is not background info), and applying the suggested practices, I was already starting to move myself away from the fight-or-flight panics that had affected me, and after the six chapter I was calming down my monkey mind which was swinging from one random thought to the next and able to follow a more structured and constructive approach to my thoughts and actions.

The book is not perfect, and sometimes may even feel a little patronising, but it's worth working through. And I would say that, of the 20 chapters, if you are not looking to apply this to your team or your company (i.e. this is just for you), then you can skip 6 chapters straight away, so the investment is already reduced. Of course, it's a shame that there isn't any feedback mechanism that you would get with a counsellor or trainer, but for the price, this is a great first step.

Durex Extra Safe Condoms - Pack of 24
Durex Extra Safe Condoms - Pack of 24

4.0 out of 5 stars Thick, strong and not very very long, 25 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think we all know the drill here. These are less likely to break than the thinner condoms, which is a plus. But they also reduce sensitivity, with is not a plus. Wear these and it takes a lot more effort to get to nirvana, which could be great in itself, and could also help tone your abs, thighs and buttocks, so don't go thinking this will be an easy ride...

Philips Sonicare HX6511/44 EasyClean Sensitive Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX6511/44 EasyClean Sensitive Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toothbrush at a reasonable price, 31 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have fixed wire braces on top and bottom jaws and I was finding that the round heads of all other electronic toothbrushes just didn't work for me, so the long, standard-shape brush on this means I get more contact on the teeth above and below the braces. The single head that comes in the package is a little stingy (working on the braces will wear these out quite quickly, and they're not cheap), and for me a little too soft (but to be fair it is a Sensitive toothbrush), but replacement heads I have are firmer and make my teeth feel much more squeaky clean. Replacement heads also have different colour rings at the base to enable multiple members of the family to use the same electronic base.

The two minute timer is a great idea, and is broken down into 4 sets of 30 seconds, each notified with a clear break in the vibrations, which means you can pay good and equal attention to each quarter of your mouth. The motor cuts out after this, but it allows you to continue for another 30 seconds if you need a little more scrubbing. If you stop the toothbrush to pause, it will continue with the timer from where it left off if you continue within 30 seconds.

There are no changes or configurations that the user can make to the duration, the motor speed, etc.

If you're coming from a manual brush to an electronic brush, this is a great introduction. Even though the toothbrush motor ramps up over a period of days, starting more gently then getting faster to allow your teeth and gums to acclimatise to it, the first few times you use it will give a pleasurable tingle from the vibrations.

The battery lasts for a very long time: easily more than two weeks. Charging is done by standing the toothbrush on the supplied base (with shaver plug). It's a small base, and the nodule the toothbrush base slots onto is a little small too, so it can be easily knocked off if it's not on a sturdy and flat surface.

I've very happy with this, knowing I can also take it on holiday without needing to bring the charging base with me.

Ultrasport Amazon Paddle Set of 2 Each Paddle Length 122 cm Plastic
Ultrasport Amazon Paddle Set of 2 Each Paddle Length 122 cm Plastic

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly sturdy for lightweight plastic paddles, 31 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got these as a secondary set of oars to support a sturdier set for my inflatable kayak, and I have to say that, despite being made of plastic, these are surprisingly sturdy. Out of necessity we have been using them as a primary set over the past few days, and they have functioned very well for us.
The yellow paddles are about 6 inches in width and 10 inches in length, with grooves running to the tip. They can be set up as either two individual oars, or the plain round tubes can be joined together to create a double-ended paddle. There are no rubber rings that we have on our other set to prevent water running onto the hands (and that also seem to be in the photo), but these are not the type of paddles you would use for heavy-duty kayaking, so that's not a huge deal. They are very light and easily portable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8