Profile for J. Winmill > Reviews

Content by J. Winmill

J. Winmill (Lincoln United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Offered by marvelio-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars It takes two, 14 July 2016
This review is from: 2 (Audio CD)
Another great album from Florent Pagny. I have only recently discovered him ( where on earth have I been?) If you haven't heard any of his music this is a good starter. A range of styles- all duets. As stated by other reviewer, the opening track- We are the Champions- by Queen, is a stormer, with fantastic crisp orchestration. Though the rest of this album is in French and Italian, all of the songs are accessible due to the fact they are melodic, whimsical at times, and with really great vocal lines from Pagny and the other contributors. Every track a strong track.Pagny is known for moving across music genres with real skill, this one should appease most. Definitely worth a purchase.

CD SINGLE DEAD OR ALIVE - STOCK AITKEN WATERMAN You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) / In Too Deep 7-track CARD SLEEVE REMIXES

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Buzzin', 12 Jun. 2016
Not a great deal to say about this release apart from the fact that it has the difficult to find Buzzing Bees Mix, alongside the regular Performance and Murder mixes. In too Deep (Off Yer Mong and 7") also included. Even though I have the trillion various reincarnations of You Spin Me Round, still had to buy this for the Buzzing Bees Mix. Great

Everybody's Grammar: Bk. 3
Everybody's Grammar: Bk. 3
by James Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody needs one., 12 Jun. 2016
The days of trying to get decent grammar books that you can get the kids to work through seem to have long gone. I found book 2 in the back of a cupboard and have been using it continually. Book 3 extends grammar ideas into creating longer texts and looking at how language works at different levels. Great as a continuation from Book 2 or as extension activities for G and T students at KS3. This book should be reprinted!

We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) [DVD]
We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tilda Swinton

5.0 out of 5 stars Film making at its best., 12 Jun. 2016
Mother or Child? Had the DVD for a couple of years but didn't watch it because so much had been said about it and I needed to watch it on my own terms. Today was the day. It is most definitely the best film I have seen of recent years. The poor reviews of this film are those from people who expect every film to have a linear narrative structure- you have to allow this film to breathe and open itself up. The point about the child/mother relationship is interesting, as an alternative reading I would suggest that it is about how some children are just born psychotic and it has nothing to do with parenting at all. It's a film that really questions where your sympathies lie. It makes you change your viewpoint. Makes you question your pre-conceptions. On a simple level it makes you consider what it must be like for the parent of someone who commits atrocities and where we as a society place the blame. The performances in this film are superb. It's a masterpiece of film making.

The Count of Monte Cristo: Highlights from the Musical
The Count of Monte Cristo: Highlights from the Musical

5.0 out of 5 stars Dramatic and powerful, 23 Jun. 2015
This sits very comfortably alongside 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' and 'Jekyll and Hyde'. The orchestrations are dramatic; violent at times. The casting and singing are excellent. All in all a great recording. Definitely a worthwhile addition to fans of Wildhorn and anyone looking for a new musical that isn't just a collection of other people's songs.

No Place In Heaven
No Place In Heaven
Offered by mrtopseller

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointingly morose, 22 Jun. 2015
This review is from: No Place In Heaven (Audio CD)
Should we compare to previous albums or take it on its own merit? I was expecting something poppy and upbeat and even though the odd track appears to be optimistic the lyrics are lamenting the past or the breakdown of relationships or about not being able to be who we ( he ) wants to be. I found the album as a whole quite difficult to listen to and felt quite miserable by the end of it; the repetitive negativity of the lyrics. He doesn't seem to like himself or his life very much if indeed the lyrics are autobiographical. If this is a purposeful change in direction, an opportunity to be taken 'seriously' then so be it. Some people may like it, I just don't want to listen to pain and anxiety on a 'pop' album.

Orchestral
Orchestral

5.0 out of 5 stars Fade to Grey won't fade away., 18 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Orchestral (Audio CD)
I had similar feelings about buying this album, some trepidation that it might just not work, however I was also surprised, delighted, ecstatic that it has been pulled off with great aplomb!
Each of the tracks (apart from Love Glove) starts with an orchestral introduction before the song comes in proper. The arrangements are dramatic and really create an image of grandeur, danger and drama. The songs are then sung through with a combination of synths and orchestra, which creates a whole new palette for the songs to be heard in, greater depth, a wider sound, just a different listening experience.
The opening of 'Damned Don't Cry' is fantastic and a brilliant opener to the album. 'Mind of a Toy' I actually preferred to the original. I absolutely loved 'Night Train' - the opening orchestral arrangement is like the soundtrack to an old black and white silent movie, it really sets the scene, the rest of the song becomes quite campy as a result but had me smiling from ear to ear. I was a little disappointed with 'Visage' as the original had real moments of oomph which I thought the orchestra would match instead going for a much more calmer experience.
The vocals have been re-recorded and are much clearer and, I have to say, in some cases the lower register appears to be easier for Mr Strange to handle. Having read the other reviews it's interesting to note the difference of opinion in favourite tracks but I think this just goes to show that we all have our favourites and different tastes and there is probably something for everyone here. I actually think the versions from 'Hearts and Knives' grabbed my attention more in this recording than the original album, they seem to sit more comfortably. So despite a couple of minor niggles, I am still keen to give this album five stars due to its audacity, delicious darkness and sheer enjoyment. Thanks for giving us something other than another remix album, best of or b-sides and rarities that we are plagued with from our favourite 80's groups.

Nike Getasandal Mens Slip On Flip Flop Sandal Size UK 8
Nike Getasandal Mens Slip On Flip Flop Sandal Size UK 8

5.0 out of 5 stars If the shoe fits...wear it!, 6 Dec. 2014
I bought a pair of these at the airport once to go on holiday with, they lasted me for years despite wearing them constantly at home and subsequent holidays. They are great for mooching about indoors and outdoors. They fit as expected and are extremely comfortable. As a result I have bought anther pair when my previous pair ran out. Would definitely recommend for anyone who just wants a comfy house shoe if you don't like wearing slippers, or for beach wear or for walking out and about on holiday. They are sturdy whilst being comfortable and flexible. A great purchase.

Minutes And Seconds - Live
Minutes And Seconds - Live

5.0 out of 5 stars Having seen Alison Moyet live on this tour, my ..., 6 Dec. 2014
Having seen Alison Moyet live on this tour, my remarks on leaving the concert were, ' really hope she releases a live album of this concert', so I was ecstatic when she did. The main reason being, Alison has changed the arrangements, style, tempo to some of her well known songs and given them a new life. Coupled with an a superb voice that doesn't fail to deliver in live performance this is definitely a worthwhile purchase.

The Art of Alien: Isolation
The Art of Alien: Isolation
by Andy McVittie

5.0 out of 5 stars A great coffee table book with interesting detail on the creation ..., 6 Dec. 2014
A great coffee table book with interesting detail on the creation of the game. In some ways this goes beyond the 'making of' books released for the films as they are dealing with a new story and characters and so there is interest in the way the game was created focussing back on Amanda Ripley as a character, mentioned in Aliens but also followed through in some of the later stories and graphic novels- it is great to see her as a character in her own right here. Nicely put together, glossy. It allowed me to imagine and create my own story and 'film in my head' by giving enough back story and the visuals through the artwork. I admit wholeheartedly to being a fan of the franchise and would recommend this to anyone who has a burning interest in the Alien saga.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6