Profile for Chubworth > Reviews

Content by Chubworth

Chubworth (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Simply Delish Sugar Free Instant Lime Jelly 8 g (Pack of 8)
Simply Delish Sugar Free Instant Lime Jelly 8 g (Pack of 8)
Offered by Broadway Candy Co

1.0 out of 5 stars A shame..., 22 Aug. 2017
Really wanted to like this - loved the colour and how firm it was within minutes. But it was unpleasantly sweet, almost imperceptible lime flavour and then half an hour of griping gut pain afterwards for both me and the old man. Back to Hartleys....

The Widow
The Widow

4.0 out of 5 stars Great plot development, 25 July 2017
This review is from: The Widow (Kindle Edition)
A well plotted book - one of those where I needed to check back to see whether the timeline had gone back or forward but soon got into the rhythm. I liked the roundness of the characters in that they all had fallibilities and none were wholly sympathetic (I'm contrary like that)

The Threat Level Remains Severe
The Threat Level Remains Severe

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine comic writing, 25 July 2017
Loved the writing here and the characters in the first half. I was less taken with the plot trajectory of the second half however but think this author is a talent to watch.

Office Politics: How to Thrive in a World of Lying, Backstabbing and Dirty Tricks

4.0 out of 5 stars I survived to tell the tale, 25 April 2014
Working with someone who must have been the model for the boss combining all three psychopath, narcissist and machiavellian tendencies to make "The Dark Triad" (I think that was her maiden name), I found this to be one of those books where "Oh my God, that's so true!" kept bursting forth. Luckily by the time I bought this book, I'd already resigned and was on my way to work for a saint but had I been forced to stay, I may have been able to repurpose this book as a suppository.

Sign of the Cross (A Spike Sanguinetti Mystery)
Sign of the Cross (A Spike Sanguinetti Mystery)
by Thomas Mogford

1.0 out of 5 stars I made a mistake, 25 April 2014
I bought this because I was interested in the Maltese setting. I was deluded. This is a nasty little book revelling in violence towards women and with no redeeming features. Several hours that I won't get back again (why did I read to the end? Error!)

The Van
The Van
by Roddy Doyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the finest book ever written, 25 April 2014
This review is from: The Van (Paperback)
I treated myself to reading this again after about 15 years. It was a joy from start to finish. Apart from the comic set pieces (cleaning the van, Bertie teasing Bimbo about his mother in law) this is a sensitive portrayal of tender relationships, none more so than the friendship of middle-aged men in the midst of existential crisis. With chips.

A Bit of a Do
A Bit of a Do

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious writing, 25 April 2014
This review is from: A Bit of a Do (Kindle Edition)
David Nobbs is massively underrated. This is a marvellous book with its successive dos, the Homeric epithets applied to the cast who turn up regularly for them and the wit of the author's observations. I'm glad I didn't see the TV version with David Jason, mainly because I have little time for this over-rated "star" but also because it would have robbed me of the joy of seeing these people as I imagined them to be. This book contains some of the finest comic writing that I have read, well paced and brilliantly judged.

Instructions for a Heatwave
Instructions for a Heatwave

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately a chucker, 25 April 2014
As stated before, my golden rule for book success is whether I feel like hoying it across the room at the end (or even before the end if it really sucks). I read this on Kindle so the chucking was lodged in my imagination. The chucking also happened very close to the end which at least meant that I was enjoying it enough to keep reading but that the ending was so irritating that, having got that far, the disappointment was palpable.

The Politician's Husband [DVD]
The Politician's Husband [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Tennant

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 25 April 2014
This was cliched and thin. We gave it about 20 minutes before hoiking it out of the DVD and watching a Columbo repeat instead (the one with Jack Cassidy as The Great Santini, if you're interested...) and it is now on its way to Oxfam, Hammersmith.

The World at War - The Ultimate Restored Edition [2010] [DVD] [1973]
The World at War - The Ultimate Restored Edition [2010] [DVD] [1973]
Dvd ~ Peter Tiffin
Offered by Sunset-Games

5.0 out of 5 stars Larry has made it impossible for me to listen, now, to news reports about Ukraine, 25 April 2014
My first memory of watching this was 1983, I think. I was off school with a heavy cold and feeling massively sorry for myself. I watched the episode about the Holocaust. I stopped feeling sorry for myself. However I am not recommending this as a rather expensive and wordy substitute for Night Nurse; instead this is a prime example of the old school of TV documentary which were designed for thinking people who could cope with complicated concepts and could hold information in their heads for more than two minutes. Larry Olivier gives us a special treat with his mannered pronunciation of "Yoo-Krayyyne", Hitler's stormtroopers the "Ess Aah" and so forth. Marvel too at Albert Speer's weirdly tiny eyebrows. The talking heads are authentic and varied such as the chirpy cockneys in the pub. The most mesmerising, however, is Trudl Junge, Hitler's secretary. Such an incredible story.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5