Profile for Neil Gall > Reviews

Content by Neil Gall

Neil Gall (Edinburgh, UK)

Cycling Weekly
Cycling Weekly

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible app, 22 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Cycling Weekly (App)
The content may be good but it's hard to get at because the app is so horrible to use. Strange rotation effects on launch, tiny text and inconsistent response to page turn gestures. One of the worst newsstand apps I've tried on kindle.

Deadly Harvest: The Intimate Relationship Between Our Heath and Our Food
Deadly Harvest: The Intimate Relationship Between Our Heath and Our Food

2.0 out of 5 stars Good start, descends into good and bad food lists., 25 May 2012
I enjoyed the first third of this book where it discusses how our paleolithic ancestors lived and ate, and how our modern day food supply compares to this. However, following this the book descends into frankly condescending lists of good and bad foods to eat. I'd much rather see more detail - backed by evidence rather than assertion - along the lines of the first section and make my own mind up, thanks. Also, I don't really buy the premise that there has been zero evolution in humans in the past 10,000 years. Surely a subset of the population were entirely intolerant to grain and they didn't survive the invention of agriculture? And other than a local evolution how else do you explain the minority of humans today (most of whom live in the same parts of the world) who can tolerate lactose to some extent? This book has some interesting ideas, but is fundamentally flawed in these regards.

The Boy Who Biked the World: On the Road to Africa
The Boy Who Biked the World: On the Road to Africa
by Alastair Humphreys

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and educational adventure for young readers, 13 Dec. 2011
I gave this to my 8 year old son the other day and he was instantly engrossed. In fact I had to take the book away from him so he would go to sleep that evening! He says it's exciting and fun but also he's learning about other countries and how people live there. At the rate he's getting through the book we'll be itching to get the sequel before long.

I've read another of Alastair Humphreys' books so I know he's a captivating writer. This book proves he can do the same for a younger audience. I love the way it's laid out with handwritten notes mixed in with the text, and once my son has finished it I can't wait to read it myself.

Samsung CLP-325W  Colour Laser Printer (Wireless)
Samsung CLP-325W Colour Laser Printer (Wireless)

1.0 out of 5 stars I sent it back after two weeks, 26 Oct. 2011
I really liked the look of this printer, and it seemed very good value at the price too. Unfortunately it didn't live up to these impressions. The manual and software installation instructions were awful, leaving me quite confused about how to set it up with my iMac. I wasn't impressed with the software once it was installed - it just felt out of place on the Mac, like a cross-platform application or something ported from Windows.

As this was my first upgrade from inkjet to laser, initially I was impressed with the printer itself, even though I felt the colours were a touch over-saturated when printing photos. But it started dropping its wireless connection requiring a power-cycle to restore. Then after a few days it developed a very faded patch down the left of each page that no amount of redistributing the toner would fix. We did our best to troubleshoot these faults but again the manual was next to useless with unhelpful diagrams, poor layout and a general lack of detail.

After this catalogue of bad feelings about this product I decided to send it back and replace with an HP. I'm generally happy with other Samsung products I own so I thought it would be a good brand to buy, but this product just feels like too many details have been skipped over and ultimately the performance is not good enough at this price point.

Gear4 PG360 iPod Transmitter - AirZone FM Follow Me
Gear4 PG360 iPod Transmitter - AirZone FM Follow Me

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice features but awful sound quality., 2 Mar. 2010
I got one of these to replace a Belkin Tunebase which failed suddenly. I had to tune the car radio manually as the search skipped past the channel the AirZone was transmitting on. I also had very little success with it on the iPhone's own power - it had to be connected to the car's power via th mini USB connector.

I initially was impressed with the features such as Follow Me and showing the current track name on the RDS radio display. There was absolutely no cellular radio interference. But it quickly became apparent this is the worst sounding FM transmitter I have heard (and I have used quite a few). Perhaps modern pop music with no dynamics would sound ok, but I made the mistake of hitting play on the Classic Rock genius mix on my iPhone. The sound is very mushy and overcompressed and with a very uneven frequency response. I'm no audiophile (or I wouldn't be using an FM transmitter), but this is really is awful. A track with a bass intro, for example, sounds fine until the other instruments come in then the bass disappears. The overall level wobbles around with cymbal splashes and vocal dynamics, and overall is completely unsuitable for listening to music.

When commuting I usually listen to podcasts, which are mainly speech, so I held out hope the AirZone would be fine for this. On Monday morning I got in the car and the AirZone - 3 days out of its box - would not power up. It was sent back and I never got to hear the audio quality for speech.

Conclusion: do not buy.

Sennheiser MM50iP Stereo Headset with integrated microphone - tailormade for the iPhone - Black
Offered by magicdiscounts

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful sound, very disappointed, 20 July 2009
I bought a pair of these to go with my iPhone as I'd been so pleased with my previous Sennheiser CX-300s, on which these are supposedly based. I was very disappointed - the sound quality is vastly inferior, very harsh and tinny with no bass whatsoever. Even Apple's stock earphones sound much much better. Glad I didn't pay the full original price.

HP Photosmart 335 Compact Photo Printer
HP Photosmart 335 Compact Photo Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Two failures out of two, 30 Dec. 2005
I overcame my reservations about buying HP because I liked the compact product design. Unfortunately the first one I got printed green streaks across the photos, so I returned it. The second one jammed its print carriage as soon as I switched it on, so it's going back for a refund. Having suffered their computers at work, I've always considered HP's reputation for quality to be unfounded and I should have listened to my original worries.

Sony DAV-SB100 Home Theatre System MP3/ JPEG playback
Sony DAV-SB100 Home Theatre System MP3/ JPEG playback

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound, great price but awful usability, 25 April 2005
I bought this system five months ago based on the reviews that said the sound quality was the best at the price point, and the sound quality is indeed excellent, as is the quality of everything about this system... except the remote control.
This products suffers from a common Sony fault - a terrible user interface. The most common functions are crowded onto a handful of keys, which often have to be pressed repeatedly to get to where you want. Switching the audio source from DVD to TV for example takes four (count them!) keypresses. The remote is however filled with dedicated keys for obscure functions that I've never pressed. The meaning of the most commonly used buttons depends on the current state, making multi-remote macros impossible.
I know I'm super-critical as I have a background in interaction design, but my wife also finds it hard to operate so this fault alone knocks my rating from 5 down to 3.