Profile for Lanarklad > Reviews

In the Electric Mist [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tommy Lee Jones
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Southern soup - tasty., 25 Mar. 2017
This review is from: In the Electric Mist [DVD] (DVD)
Very atmospheric down there in the Deep South and that was partly what made the film enjoyable. That and the superb Tommy Lee of course.
However I'm not convinced that the novel was successfully adapted for the movie. The story seemed disjointed in places, perhaps because a book can elaborate better than a screenplay can.
I'd still recommend anyone to go watch the film.

Islay: Pevensey Island Guides
Islay: Pevensey Island Guides
by Norman S. Newton

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential guide, 10 May 2011
I got this book before visiting Islay for the first time last week. I took it with me and referred to it while there. It is packed full of information and has some very lovely photos. It described very clealy all the places I visited and now that I have been, I'll read it through again. The historical outlines were fascinating and got my imagination running with the stories of the Lord of the Isles and the old clan rivalries.
Two negative points...the map is not detailed enough, but I solved that by buying an OS map and though it mentions all the bird life, without pictures I wouldn't know a chough from an albatross!

Isolation Songs
Isolation Songs

5.0 out of 5 stars A real find, 25 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Isolation Songs (Audio CD)
I came across Ghost Brigade purely by chance on Last.fm. They were suggested because I like Opeth and Katatonia. After listening to a few tracks from Isolation Songs I thought I'd take a chance on the album. I have not been disappointed. If you are into this kind of music I highly recommend this band. Just need to see them live now!

Irish: The Remarkable Saga of a Nation and a City
Irish: The Remarkable Saga of a Nation and a City
by John Burrowes

5.0 out of 5 stars A great social history, 7 Jun. 2009
If you are like me a Scot of Irish descent who lives or has lived in Glasgow and the west of Scotland you will immediately connect with this story. Written in a clear and detailed way about what the Great famine was truly all about and how the thousands fleeing starvation came to work and live in the late Victorian powerhouse of industry that existed at that time. The navvies, railway workers, iron and steelmen and of course the miners, they all get a mention but more than that it explains the effects of two cultures merging. It wasn't easy then and can still be a problem now. Here's why.
I couldn't put this down its just so personal. A must read.