Profile for drfrot > Reviews

Content by drfrot

"drfrot"

The Rough Guide to Wales (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
The Rough Guide to Wales (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
by Mike Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Another solidly researched title, 19 Sept. 2004
Very good indeed. As usual Rough Guides put Lonely Planet to shame.
I've lived in Swansea for a year now and discovered things I never knew by reading this book!
Great for planning days out - no nonsense advice.

Airdrawndagger
Airdrawndagger
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic, 2 Sept. 2004
This review is from: Airdrawndagger (Audio CD)
I heard this at a friend's and instantly went out and bought it. I can honestly say it's been the most consistently played album in my entire collection. I listen to it over and over and over and over again, and keep coming back to it month after month.
It's beautiful, from beginning to end - and when the delicate closing strains of Wavy Gravy fade you find yourself automatically on the edge of your seat waiting to hear the electronic throb of Drempels kick back in on the repeat.
If you're a fan of intelligent, soulful, beautifully chilled out dance music then you MUST buy this album.
You will not be disappointed.

The K&D Sessions
The K&D Sessions

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential to your collection, 9 Feb. 2004
This review is from: The K&D Sessions (Audio CD)
...reviewers of this double album must sound a bit like a stuck record. But just to reiterate: if you've happened upon this album by one of those chance Amazon recommendations from an album you like, then you *must* buy it! It's one of the first albums I would say *everyone* should have in their music collection - it is without fault!

Nothing Changes Under The Sun
Nothing Changes Under The Sun

4.0 out of 5 stars The Hare and the Tortoise, 1 Feb. 2004
It's only when I realised this had surreptitiously become one of my most frequently played albums that I felt compelled to write a review.
I really didn't like 'Nothing Changes Under The Sun' to start - I'm not sure whether it was the rave reviews setting my ears up for a fall , or what. But after a couple of listens it went back on the shelf with all the other big bangs, and started gathering dust...
I played it a couple of months later and thought it probably warranted a few more listens, and so began a love affair with Blue States. Firstly, it refused to leave my stereo. Then it found it's way into my car. Now it's become such an integral part of my life I had to buy their second album for more input (not half as good, although I'm retaining an open mind considering my previous folly).
Let it grow on you. It'll insinuate itself in there and before you know it, you'll be prompted to write a review too.
"I wish everybody would be quiet, and nice, and don't throw rocks, and don't shoot guns..."

Emotional Technology [Canada]
Emotional Technology [Canada]
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Technology. Emotional and kicking., 27 Aug. 2003
Ah, BT. It has been a voyage, hasn't it? Every so many years another one pops up from nowhere and my life is changed yet again. It's testament to such a talent that there's never any hype, you never know it's coming, and yet his music elicits such passion. I accidentally happened upon Emotional Technology, thinking Yes, it's about time, isn't it? and then could find it in only one store in the whole of Leeds. And as you hand over your money - instantly and with real anticipation - it makes you feel like part of a club, doesn't it?
His albums have matured over time, and in the vein of artists like Massive, each album has pushed the frontiers that little bit further back. 'Movement In Still Life' was a fantastic album with real staying power and tunes beautifully crafted to stretch your eyeballs to the limit, but I ultimately found myself listening to parts of it, rather than the whole. 'Emotional Technology' is a distillation of every good thing BT has ever done.
On first listens I couldn't help but draw comparisons with MISL - the hard edged rap was reminiscent of those old opening tracks (yet more accessible somehow), but from the very second 'Somnambulist' kicks in like a beam of light through the darkness you'll find yourself grinning uncontrollably, realising within minutes that you're about to be party to something really quite special.
There's diversity, as with his other albums (most notably MISL), but with far more coherence, bringing us a complete album - so much so that I often even leave 'Circles' playing despite this being the most difficult track on the album (but infectiously memorable all the same). For me, the best albums excite instantly - with tracks like 'Somnabulist' and 'Communicate' - but then take you on a journey through several other 'best on the album' tracks sequentially, while all the time the initial favourites continue to grow in appeal. By the end, the whole thing is indispensible.
Running through the entire album - its one truly uniting factor - is the quality; the attention to detail. You only have to read the credits to realise the unfathomable amount of time and effort willingly spent in utilising cutting edge production techniques to ensure an all round fantastic listening experience. BT is a man who clearly lives for music, and I am merely grateful that the outlet of this incredible talent is so much my music.
The best example of this, and the height of the album for me - after many many listens - has to be 'The last moment of clarity'. Dark, intense, relentless, uplifting and precise, it will never fail to entrall me.
As another reviewer put it:
"BT, like Orbital, may be criminally overlooked when it comes to those who have changed the face of dance music. It's said that it's the "quiet ones who change the universe, the loud ones just take all the credit..." Well once again BT is 'quietly' pushing the boundaries. Others will get there later and claim the new sub-genre as their own, but you'll always hear it here first"
I couldn't agree more. It's an essential album. Shame on anyone who rates it at anything less than 5.

Dial 'M' for Monkey
Dial 'M' for Monkey

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by its cover, 30 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Dial 'M' for Monkey (Audio CD)
Oh dear. I was so looking forward to this release, and when I saw the plush, shiny, beautifully produced CD package which arrived on my doorstep I thought I was in for a treat exceeding that provided by Animal Magic.
Sadly this could not be farther from the truth. All the thought and energy seems to have gone into said packaging, and the resultant music is a major let-down. By forsaking vocal samples and homogenising his sound, the boy Green has produced something so bland it has sadly crossed that fine line between genious chillout and elevator music.
Sad to say it, but a great disappointment.

100th Window
100th Window
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Unmistaken Identity, 27 Feb. 2003
This review is from: 100th Window (Audio CD)
Okay, there have been mixed reviews here, and I would agree you do get the feeling listening to the album that it's the work of one not many. But all this aside, it's still an achingly beautiful piece of work in places. It's certainly not left my stereo since I got it. The only dud is 'A Prayer for England', which just doesn't sit comfortably on this album. Otherwise it's brooding, it's dark, it's sinister. It's Massive, and I wouldn't want them any other way. Sceptics need to listen to 'Everywhen' and 'Small Time Shot Away', preferably late at night, in the dark, with headphones. Then tell me this is not a brilliant album. Five years was too long to wait, but definitely worth every minute.