Profile for A. Lee > Reviews

Content by A. Lee

A. Lee "AL" (Oxford, United Kingdom)

Relaxation Mask -  Total Darkness with your Eyes Open
Relaxation Mask - Total Darkness with your Eyes Open
Offered by Relax UK Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! :), 9 May 2015
This is very good. After years of experimentation with blackout blinds and different types of mask, I started to desperately design a product in my head exactly like this. Then I found that someone had already made it! Yay! However, sometimes it shifts a bit during sleep and light gets in via the front, BUT all you have to do is go to bed with one eye mask over this mask. And if you're reading this, you probably already have a few eye masks already. You will still be able to experience the joy of being able to move your eyeballs while sleeping. THANK YOU.

Japanese for Busy People: Kana Version Bk. 1 (Japanese for Busy People Series)
Japanese for Busy People: Kana Version Bk. 1 (Japanese for Busy People Series)
by Ajalt

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for grown ups., 19 Nov. 2011
This is a very good book. It is well-designed and illustrated, and the aesthetics of the book inspire me to study it.

If you buy the kana version, you are forced to learn and practice hiragana and katakana from the beginning, which is vital to your studies in Japanese. I would recommend that you learn the kana from the internet before you buy the book, just because it's frustrating to receive the book and not be able to read it immediately (there is a chart in the front of the book but it doesn't give you tips on remembering the kana, it's just for reference). Kanji are completely ignored in the first book - there are mixed views on this, but I am rubbish at remembering Japanese vocabulary and so being forced to write things out phonetically using the kana helps to reinforce in my mind both the pronounciation of words and the idiosyncracies of the Japanese spelling system. Kanji are introduced in later books.

Grammar-wise, the book is light on explanation and also omits mention of the informal forms of verbs. Regarding the explanations, I think that there is enough in each lesson for the purposes of that lesson. There is one weakness - which is remedied in book II - but if you want to avoid some rote memorisation, you might want to do some Googling about the general rules for forming the te-form and changing from dictionary form to nai-form. Apart from this, I would say that the use of drills means that you will acquire an instinct for what is correct, even if you don't understand why, and this reflects the way we naturally acquire our own native languages. Regarding the omission of the informal forms, I think that trying to teach everything at once is confusing, so I like the book's approach. I have just purchased Book II, and the informal forms are covered in there.

The stories and themes are based in work environments, which makes it more relevant to adults, but in terms of content and vocabulary, I'd say that the vocabulary isn't business specific - it can be used in all situations, as it is all basic stuff. Also, I survived my first two months in Japan using the vocabulary in Book I - it's surprising how little you need to survive and make yourself understood!

I also like that the book is divided into 25 short lessons, each covering a few points; as a "busy person", I find that I have just enough concentration, tolerance and time to get through one lesson in a day. Sometimes with learning, especially independent learning, it's important just to be able to keep up the momentum to keep progressing, and I think that this series helps you to do that.

Property Law (Longman Law Series)
Property Law (Longman Law Series)
by Roger Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for detail, bad for the basics., 15 Feb. 2008
We use this at Oxford for the Land Law course. It is utter pants if you're just starting out and want to know what the hell is going on, but once you have a grasp of the basics, it is good for further reflection and nitty-gritty analysis.

British Government and the Constitution: Text, Cases and Materials (Law in Context)
by Colin Turpin

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, and timesaving in academic emergencies, 8 Sept. 2007
This book is brilliant, with well-written introductions to various aspects of constitutional law complemented by excerpts from key theorists and cases, which help illuminate the controversy over public law principles.

Public Law (Clarendon Law S.)
Public Law (Clarendon Law S.)
by Adam Tomkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 8 Sept. 2007
An excellent introduction to public law concepts, and worth buying for its historical perspective on the separation of powers doctrine in England.