Profile for K.Davies > Reviews

Content by K.Davies

K.Davies (Wales, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls
The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a book - an experience!, 26 Jun. 2017
Emilie Autumn has created something very original and innovative with this ebook. If you enjoy autobiographies, fantasy fiction, puzzles, ciphers, and tea - you will love this book. The story itself jumps between the real life story of Emilie's time at a psych ward in the US and the tale of Emily (with a y) and her time at the Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls in England. Emilie is brutally and sometimes painfully forthright and open about the circumstances surrounding her suicide attempt and her bipolar disorder, while Emily (with a y) is delightfully naive at the beginning, growing into a strong woman as the novel progresses. A must read. Dive into the puzzles, try to get your head around them as there is SO much hidden content to explore here.

From the Blues to Your Shoes
From the Blues to Your Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues rock with raw energy, 9 Feb. 2016
This is an excellent album. Featuring 5 original songs and 5 covers, this trio straddle the line between rockabilly and blues and do it with style and panache. James Oliver is a whirlwind on the guitar. This mp3 version only contains the 5 originals but it is definitely worth a listen. If you like blues, rockabilly, or just good music, give it a whirl. You'll be very glad you did.

The Lost
The Lost
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously different kind of thriller, 22 April 2015
This review is from: The Lost (Amazon Video)
I found this movie when I happened across Marc Senter's excellent work in 'The Devil's Carnival' and sought out his previous work. This low-budget yet incredibly stylish movie doesn't disappoint.

Other reviewers have given short synopses of the story so I won't talk about the story and go over old ground. I'm not familiar with Jack Ketchum's work so I'm afraid I can't comment on how similar the film adaptation is to the novel, but what I do know is that the movie is incredibly well-shot and acted. From the very first scene where Ray happens upon the naked girl in the woods, you know this is a very different kind of movie. It's twisted but in an almost delicious way. I was led along by Marc Senter's flawlessly charming portrayal of Ray until he grabbed the gun and then I felt my guts churning with horror. I note other reviewers have commented that much of the film is slow; however I can't agree with them. The 'slow' parts in my opinion are central to the plot. They give us an insight into the messed-up life that Ray leads and an insight into his character as well as (rather skillfully) introducing the other main characters. There's Jen (Ray's somewhat devoted girlfriend), Kath (a bad girl who Ray falls passionately for) and also Sally (a housekeeper at his mother's motel who is dating a much older man). There are also other minor characters introduced such as Dee Dee who works at the local food place, Ray's mother, and a couple of others. We are also introduced to Detective Charlie Schilling who relentlessly pursues Ray.

I thought the pacing of this movie was excellent, and very true to the genre. From a psychological point of view the pacing works seamlessly with Ray's mindset. Fast and frenzied and impulsive at the beginning; before becoming slow and reflective until the last 30 minutes or so where it speeds up again as Ray loses it. I was gripped throughout which was helped by the excellent performances of the cast. Marc Senter in particular gives a stellar performance in the lead role. I was also impressed by the performances of the three main female leads, especially Robyn Sydney who plays Kath. Her portrayal of the bad girl with an emotional past rang very true and was believable.

This is not a horror in the usual sense of the word - it's not a gorefest. There's enough blood to get the point across but it's not gratuitous. Where this film shines is as a thriller or psychological horror. It feels very similar to Darren Aronofsky's 'Pi' in the way that it focuses intensely on the main character and his mindset.

I rented this but I think I may be adding the DVD to my collection after this. Very impressed.

Tarot Illuminati
Tarot Illuminati

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't open it!, 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Tarot Illuminati (App)
I'm sure this is a great app but whenever I try to open it in my Fire phone it keeps saying it has stopped. All other apps working fine. Not happy as I paid £3.95 for something I can't use :(

Fire HD 7, 7" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB (Magenta) - Includes Special Offers
Fire HD 7, 7" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB (Magenta) - Includes Special Offers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 27 Dec. 2014
Excellent tablet. Fast and responsive, with the colour options a great way of personalising your tablet a bit. Good range of apps available in the Amazon Appstore. Kindle books look clear and easy to read and the backlight brightness can be adjusted which makes it easier to read in lower light without hurting your eyes. I bought this as an upgrade to my older Kindle Fire and I wasn't disappointed. It is intuitive and easy to use.

The Bright Side Man Tin
The Bright Side Man Tin
Offered by Dragon Toys UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, unconventional gift, 27 Dec. 2014
Bought this as an unconventional Christmas gift for my husband. He loved it, and he's quite hard to buy for.

Briyte ® Teeth Whitening Pen # The Best Whitening Pen # Tooth Whitening... .FREE UK POSTAGE....Non Peroxide..How To Get white teeth Best cleaning Portable pens bleaching Dental care for home and travel produces gel strips has Briyte crest on pack , Gel Pen Kit

2.0 out of 5 stars Made my teeth weak, 27 Dec. 2014
Easy enough to use, and tastes pleasant, but I cannot recommend it as it made my teeth very weak. Within a week of using it, I found that my tooth enamel looked very thin and my teeth began to chip very easily. I ended up throwing it in the bin.

Best in Beauty: An Ultimate Guide to Makeup and Skincare Techniques, Tools, and Products
by Riku Campo

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for beginners and makeup aficionados alike..., 27 Dec. 2014
This is a very informative book, written in clear English with not too much jargon. The pictures are very artistic but give life to the chapters they accompany and the advice is simple to follow. I particularly like that Riku has contributions from hairstylists, nutritionists etc to give further, specialised advice and guidelines. I also love that Riku has provided skincare and makeup ideas for each age group. He also states that no face shape or skin type etc is more beautiful than another, which is refreshing. Overall, this book encourages you to work with your natural beauty, unlike some books I have read of this type which are prescriptive and can be condescending. An excellent book.

WHITECOUGAR'S JOURNALS: the diaries of a Wiccan Witch! (Witchcraft and Wicca books)

5.0 out of 5 stars A real journey through the Craft..., 20 Aug. 2014
I love this book. I finished it in one day and have re-read it several times since. MommaWhiteCougar's written voice is so real and true and at times I felt like she was sitting across from me and having a conversation with me. Her voice is so personal but so exploratory at the same time.

I loved it and I will probably continue to re-read this often. I have been a Pagan myself for 12 years but I wish there were more books like this. Please write more, MommaWhiteCougar!

Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]
Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jillian Michaels

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings pain - but good pain!, 20 Jun. 2012
I'm relatively unfit but always enjoyed watching Jillian on the US Biggest Loser. I like her motivational style and her sense of humour, plus her workouts get results. I purchased this DVD on the strength of other reviews and I am pleased to say I am not disappointed. I'm not going to lie to you, it hurts and you will be panting for breath and silently cursing her, but the buzz I get after completing the workout is incomparable - and I'm still only on Level 1! I feel stronger in my arms, my thighs and my abs already, and that feeling kicked in the very next day.

You will need hand weights and a yoga mat (or a rug) for the DVD. Two bottles of water and my living room rug did just fine for my first workout though so don't let that put you off. If you're serious about shaping up and you're not frightened of a challenge, buy this DVD.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3