Profile for Denise4891 > Reviews

Content by Denise4891
Top Reviewer Ranking: 96

Denise4891 (Cheshire)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Manuka Doctor ApiRefine Flawless Primer 30 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiRefine Flawless Primer 30 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Mattifying and calming, but not quite flawless, 2 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a fan of primers for making my foundation last longer and avoiding that mid-afternoon shine that I get on my T-zone if I don't use on. This primer has a slight beigish colour which blended in well with my natural skin tone and it gave my skin a more even and balanced tone, though not completely 'flawless' (I wouldn't expect that from a primer anyway). It definitely seemed to have a mattifying effect on the foundation I applied on top.

I didn't experience any irritation but if you have sensitive skin you should do a patch test first, and if you're allergic to bee stings you should avoid all the Manuka Doctor products which have bee venom in them.

At the current selling price of £15.99 there are cheaper primers on the market but this one definitely worked for me.

Manuka Doctor ApiRevive Restorative Hair Mask 100 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiRevive Restorative Hair Mask 100 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Silky smooth hair, 1 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a thick and creamy hair treatment which is intended to be left on for 7-10 minutes and then rinsed off. I used it for the first time tonight and it has left my dry and over-processed hair feeling silky and smooth without weighing it down. It has a pleasant smell which lingers even after blow-drying and using styling products.

It's recommended that the product be used once or twice a week but I think I'll probably be using it just once at weekends, when I have more time to wait for it to do its work. I'm very impressed with the results so far.

Daisy in Chains
Daisy in Chains
by Sharon Bolton

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, dark and clever, 30 May 2016
This review is from: Daisy in Chains (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sharon Bolton is my absolute favourite thriller writer. I was blown away by the first of her books I read (Awaking, back when she was SJ Bolton) and, while I did enjoy her police procedural novels featuring DC Lacey Flint, my preference is always her stand-alones. This latest one is a cracker.

Maggie Rose is a lawyer with a sideline in writing true crime novels about the cases she’s involved in and for championing the rights of prisoners. She represents men who have been convicted of heinous and barbaric crimes, not necessarily because she thinks they’re innocent, but rather because she spots errors and inconsistencies in the way their cases were handled which offend her sense that everyone, guilty or innocent, is entitled to a fair trial.

Hamish Wolfe is a handsome and charismatic former surgeon who has been convicted of the murders of three women and is suspected of being involved in the disappearance of a fourth. A cult has built up around him, a rather odd group of people, including his mother, who believe in his innocence despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Hamish wants Maggie to represent him and, together with his acolytes, he sets ab0ut wooing her from prison.

As with Bolton’s other works there’s a strong female lead character, albeit a rather strange and prickly one, and the writing is intelligent and suspenseful. The twist/big reveal, which I was starting to suspect as the ending approached, might have come across and over-sensational and unbelievable in the hands of a less skilful and experienced writer, but in this case it was credible and gripping. This is dark, creepy and intelligent thriller writing at its best. I loved it.

Rodial Dragon's Blood Hyaluronic Moisturiser SPF15 50 ml
Rodial Dragon's Blood Hyaluronic Moisturiser SPF15 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but very nice, 30 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Rodian Dragon's Blood moisturiser contains wrinkle-fighting ingredients such as hyaluronic acid and gransil and dragon's blood (a plant resin) for plumping. There's also an SPF 15 which makes it suitable for daytime wear during the summer.

The packaging is smart and modern-looking and contains a list of ingredients if you need to check for allergies. The moisturiser itself is a white lotion with quite a sweet but not overpowering fragrance. I found it sank into my skin quickly and was non-greasy. I was able to apply foundation and powder on top within a minute of applying it, without the smeary or 'bobbly' effect you can get with some moisturisers.

It's pricy, but if I was able to get it at a reduced price I'd certainly consider using it again.

Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Restoring Night Cream 50 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Restoring Night Cream 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Very rich, soothing and plumping moisturiser, 30 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Restoring Night Cream is part of a range of products which contain manuka honey and purified bee venom. The blurb describes the way the bee venom is collected (in a method which claims not to harm the bees) and you must do a patch test before using it to ensure you don't react in any way with the active ingredients.

After applying the cream my skin immediately felt soothed and hydrated. It's quite a rich cream (it also contains cocoa butter) so great for the neck and decolletage area too, My skin definitely feels smoother and plumper in the mornings after a few days of using it.

I'm impressed with my first use of a Manuka Doctor product. At £16.99 (current Amazon selling price) it compares very well with my usual Liz Earle moisturiser so I'll seriously consider using it again.

Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 Anti-Ageing Featherweight Moisturiser SPF15, 50 ml
Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 Anti-Ageing Featherweight Moisturiser SPF15, 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight moisturiser, ideal for summer daytime use, 30 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 is a lightweight daytime moisturiser with a sun protection factor of 15. My mum has been using it for about a week now and is happy with the hydrating and brightening effect it has on her skin. It sinks in easily and provides a good base for make-up. The lightweight formula is ideal for summer and the price is reasonable too.

ManCave Natural Survival Gift Set
ManCave Natural Survival Gift Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, funky gift set, 27 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’m reviewing this product as a gift set, rather than individual products (though I’ve received feedback from the giftee already that the body wash smells great and the moisturiser and shave balm are very soothing).

Firstly I was surprised to see that all the products are full size rather than travel size, which is what I normally expect with gift sets. (The blurb on Amazon makes no mention of product sizes.) The sizes are as follows:

Face Wash – 125 ml
Face Scrub – 100 ml
Moisturiser – 100 ml
Lemon & Oak Shower Gel - 200 ml
Shave Gel – 150 ml
Post Shave Balm - 100 ml

They are presented in a funky box which will appeal to men from late teens onwards. I think the set represents good value for money and makes a great gift.

STABILO NEON Set of 4 - Highlighter
STABILO NEON Set of 4 - Highlighter

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than pound shop highlighters, 24 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried cheap highlighters (ie 4 for £1) from the pound shop but they're always too faint and dry up really quickly. These are not expensive but they leave a good deep mark on the paper (but not too deep you can't see what you're highlighting) and I've been using the yellow one a lot today and there's no sign of it drying out. Definitely worth paying a little bit extra for.

When She Was Bad
When She Was Bad
by Tammy Cohen

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 22 May 2016
This review is from: When She Was Bad (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’m a big fan of Tammy Cohen’s psychological thrillers and in my opinion this is her best to date.
It’s a novel with two apparently disparate and unconnected plotlines. The main storyline takes place the office of a London recruitment agency where a ball-breaking new boss has been brought in to shake things up and get results. She’s very unpopular with the close knit group of colleagues she’s been brought in to manage, and favours a ‘divide and rule’ style of management, sneakily pitting them against each other and planting seeds of doubt amongst them regarding the loyalty and friendship they had taken for granted from their workmates.

The other strand features an American psychologist who is forced to look back over a case she worked on 20 years ago when she hears that one of her former patients has been involved in a shocking crime in the UK. The case involved a young girl and her brother who had been the subject of sickening neglect and abuse by their parents, and as the two storylines evolve it becomes clear that they are closely linked.

The workplace tensions and back-stabbing portrayed in the recruitment office will strike a chord with many workers, and the poignant story of the little girl and her brother and the efforts being made by social workers and psychologist to rehabilitate and humanise them is moving but chilling at the same time. It’s a very clever and tightly written thriller which kept me guessing almost up to the last page – I loved it.

Color Icon Bronzer SPF 15, Ticket to Brazil
Color Icon Bronzer SPF 15, Ticket to Brazil

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive budget bronzer, 22 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not a big user of bronzer or fake tan products, but I have pale skin and occasionally like to use something to give my face a hint of colour.

For the price I'm very impressed with this bronzer which gives a lovely light golden sheen to the skin without looking cakey or too orange. I used a large blusher brush to just whisk a few light strokes over my cheekbones and forehead and was very pleased with the results. This was a very good introduction to this budget make-up brand.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20