Profile for C. Chonka > Reviews

Content by C. Chonka

C. Chonka (Wales)

In House
In House

5.0 out of 5 stars ... I have to say that he is an absolutely amazing guitarist who is comfortable in any genre from jazz ..., 1 Feb. 2016
This review is from: In House (Audio CD)
I have seen John Etheridge with Soft Machine Legacy and his Blue Spirit group and also with a backing band and I have to say that he is an absolutely amazing guitarist who is comfortable in any genre from jazz to rock to funk, you name it and he can do it! He is without a doubt one of the best guitarists around and this recording showcases his skill and technical ability with superb acompaniment by a great jazz drummer and a superb double bass player. All three musicians shine in this live recording. The interplay and quality of this recording are excellent! JE has his own style and yet he name checks all the great guitarists from Hendrix to Pat Metheny to Frank Zappa to Wes Montgomery. This is without a doubt five star material for anyone who likes any of the guitarists mentioned previously. Catch him live if you can and you won't be disappointed!

Other Folks' Music
Other Folks' Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Another jazz giant who swings with the best of them!, 22 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Other Folks' Music (Audio CD)
If you like Coltrane, Miles, and the other jazz Giants you will enjoy Rahshaan Roland Kirk! What I superbly talented musician and this recording not only showcases his talent but that of his fellow musicians! THe mix is very eclectic but that only adds to the enjoyment. I am beginning to really get into his music and this is a good place to start! It is without a doubt a five star recording from a real jazz giant!

Philly Joe's Beat/Philly Joe & Elvin Jones Together!
Philly Joe's Beat/Philly Joe & Elvin Jones Together!
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A feast of superb drumming in the classic jazz ensemble vein!, 15 Nov. 2015
If you enjoy some good drumming and some good jazz ensemble playing this recording is for you! Whether Philly Joe or Elvin is the best does not matter a bit. They were both tremendously talented and have played with all the great jazz luminaries. I am more familiar with Elvin because of my interest in Coltrane but Philly Joe was certainly very popular as well. Their drumming styles are quite similar but that does not detract from this recording. I only wish that the Philly Joe and Elvin Together was longer! The other musicians on this recording are some of the best around as well! The mix for this recording is good and the liner notes are helpful. I will certainly listen to this on regular basis and I don't say that often about any recording!

The Dave Weckl Band - Live (And Very Plugged In) by Dave Weckl (2003-10-07)
The Dave Weckl Band - Live (And Very Plugged In) by Dave Weckl (2003-10-07)
Offered by FHL Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing drummer and a superb band!, 29 Aug. 2015
I first heard of Dave Weckl when he was playing with the Chick Corea Electric Band back in the 90's so I bought this recording a few years ago. I only listened to it once not really concentrating on the music. I liked it! I have revisited this and I have to say that this 5 star material! What a superb band! Each player is at the top of their game and if you like Return to Forever and jazz fusion in general this recording will knock your socks off! Dave Weckl is an absolutely amazing drummer who understands the dynamics of good drumming whether jazz, Latin whatever. Tom Kennedy, the bass player, deserves mention; he is as good as Jaco if not better! Get this CD and be prepared to be blown away!

The New York Times Essential Library: Jazz: A Critic's Guide to the 100 Most Important Recordings
by Ben Ratliff

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating historical guide to jazz, 11 Aug. 2013
His style of writing can be perverse at times but it is always interesting and as a jazz aficionado I love this book. I was also glad to be able to get this. It is a bit dated but that is because of when it was written. Well worth the effort to obtain it.

We Want Miles
We Want Miles

4.0 out of 5 stars Always worth a listen!, 11 Aug. 2013
This review is from: We Want Miles (Audio CD)
Quirky but interesting as Miles always is. I am sure it will grow on me once I have listened to it several times. His later recordings are not among my favourites but he is always worth a listen!

Electric
Electric

4.0 out of 5 stars It will take a couple of listens!, 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Electric (Audio CD)
Quirky but good, these three have among themselves the best of credentials and they still can crank it out. I was not that impressed initially but with another listen I have come to really like this offering. I would love to see them live! Their treatment of some classic rock and jazz may not be everyone's cup of tea but give it a go. I think it will grow on you!

Vienna Nights: Live at Joe Zawinul's Birdland
Vienna Nights: Live at Joe Zawinul's Birdland
Offered by RareGroove

4.0 out of 5 stars A good intro to a very talented band, 18 Nov. 2012
What can you say about Joe Zawinul other than a superb musician, composer and bandleader? I am a great fan of Weather Report and in some ways this is a logical extension of that band. It is like Weather Report has morphed into a more diverse world music band without Wayne Shorter and with a particular African flavour. I saw this band live in 2005 and I was so impressed that I bought this. My only real criticism is, that unlike the live performance I saw, Joe Zawinul tends to dominate this performance a bit too much. The other band members are so talented and they do not get the chance to shine quite as much as they did when I saw the band.