Profile for George C. Oommen > Reviews

Content by George C. Oommen

George C. Oommen (London, UK)

Hame by EasyAcc DREAMSOUND Wi-Fi Speaker Wireless Stereo Speaker System/300 Mbps Smart Router/Hi-Fi Soundbox for Audiophiles, Supports Airplay, DLNA
Offered by EasyAcc.U Store

4.0 out of 5 stars I think this is the best £99 I have ever spent on amazon, 18 Feb. 2015
***Edited review update: I change the way you from 5 stars to 3 stars because of the almost non-existent service.

good
-This is a beautifully designed piece of furniture. From curved wood to a magnetic speaker cover, it feels like a product costs £300.
-there is an ethernet port. It also works as a Wi-Fi repeater. The Amazon blurb description is good

Bad
-The customer support Were very polite but ignored *multiple* requests and questions, told me that DLNA was not supported, and further they do not have telephone support.
-I asked about company information multiple times and this was ignored. They are trying hard, and in truth they deserve a three or 4 star rating. The product itself is incredible. but I'm giving them a low rate so that they realise the importance of what needs to be done.
-The app is in Chinese English is a second thought
-even the voice over recording when the speaker starts has not been Proof read... It says "welcome to Hame dream sound ... a.P.P. " instead of saying the word 'app', so what's happened is that they've sent someone a script of what to say and not checked that this was accurate. The accent is also very Chinese and sound strange. I don't care about any of this as long as the product works, but the problem was because of the abysmal customer support and no phone number, I was unable to make it work despite being a computer engineer.

The design of the product is incredible. It makes me want to touch it every day :-) I really want this company to succeed, so that we have more products like this. But unfortunately they've done the most difficult part, designing a beautiful product that is a joy to use in touch, but they're missing the basics... To have basic customer support... As an app in language I can understand. They are missing basic quality control, not in the physical design but in the finishing software and testing of the product.
I think this is the best £99 I have ever spent on amazon. I'm writing this review because I didn't really know what I was purchasing, apart from the fact that this was the only speaker set that had airplay AND DLNA. The manufacturer hasn't done a great job of explaining what they're selling. But it's an incredible product. It's beautifully designed, and is almost a piece of art. It also works incredibly well. If this was £200 I would probably give it 2 stars but at £100 it's a bargain. The sound quality is good, and I listen to quite a few of these speakers in John Lewis including top-of-the-line £500 speakers of this size. It sounds good.

To the uninitiated, Airplay is wireless music from iPhones iPads and Macs, & DLNA is a completely separate service that allows the speaker on your network, so you can play it from the computer android etc. The advantage over Bluetooth is it drains less battery, clearer sound, less radiowave, as Bluetooth uses a different frequency and you don't need to keep switching on and off Bluetooth.

I already have an Apple airport express connected to a JVC hi-fi. However, you need to keep switching on and off your hi-fi set which is a bit of a hassle. And also there often a background hum to speakers that Are left on.

To let you know what you're getting, this device has to function. It works as a wireless speaker, but also extends the range of your Wi-Fi network like an Apple airport express. So you can put it at the edge of your Wi-Fi network, and it will create a new network "Hamezmusic" that will provide Internet access. Just make sure you put it somewhere where there is sufficient signal from your ORIGINAL wifi network to stream music effectively.

I almost want to knock off a star or two because they don't have a support number, only in email address, and I have no doubt that other people will get frustrated trying to set this up if they have complex networks in place. I emailed them and they respond the next day, but haven't responded to my further enquiry. But I'm going to hold out and wait to see how does.

Haig Club Scotch Whisky 70 cl
Haig Club Scotch Whisky 70 cl

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap, 29 Oct. 2014
Crap

Nokia Lumia 520 8GB SIM-Free Windows Smartphone - Black
Nokia Lumia 520 8GB SIM-Free Windows Smartphone - Black
Offered by TECH SENSE

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this review, 3 Oct. 2013
I wanted to hate this product. I really did.

I hate Microstoft with a passion, and hate Nokia ever since I spent £600 on an N97 in 2008.

However, my iPhone 4s screen broke for the past 2 years, and I bought this phone to last a week while my screen was being replaced.

I was expecting to tolerate this crap phone, and have to comprimise on buying a bottom of the barrel phone. Imagine my surprsie then, despite the learning curve, within a day I actually started preferring it to iphone! It just felt more....natural... Like moving from motoralla or old nokia to iphone.

This £100 phone is to Apple, what a £1000 iPhone was to Nokia in 2007.

I had iphone 4 before that, an iPad, and a Mac enjoying the benefits of facetime, I thought I was an APple convert.

Im a techhie so it was easy to setup multiple inboxes, configure my start screen, sync all my google contacts within minutes. It can take a few days to get used to (tips back moves back, even between apps. Hold down back to switch apps, hold down an app to bring up a menu, move it around pin to taskbar etc, hold down the windows button for voice recognition).

Within minutes I downloaded gmaps (google maps), Spotify, Skype, viber, amazon, ebay, trainline, whats app etc. A couple of ommissions included citymapper, but that will come in time. It also doesnt have a front camera, as I can tell. But its lighter than an iphone 4 and faster than an iphone 5.

For an early implementation, this is incredible.

-Apple were the underdog in 2007. Today, thats Nokia.
-Apple had a limited market share and platform in 2007 Today, thats Nokia.
-In 2007 APples phones cost 3x the most expensive Nokias.

2 major advantages over iOS.
1. Office document editing
2. Free global maps, every state and country in the world,
3. In my personal opinion voice and data call qauality is miles ahead of the iphone 4s or 5s, but thats subjective.

Now, in the UK this phone costs £100, compared with £570 for an iPhone. Thats almost 6 times the price.

Putting a 64gb microsd card (£25) results in 68GB, more than a £750 iPhone.

For a phone that costs 1/5th the price to beat an iphone is pretty insane. Well done Nokia!
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2014 4:43 PM BST

Examkrackers Complete MCAT Study Pkg: 5 Book Package
Examkrackers Complete MCAT Study Pkg: 5 Book Package
by Jonathan Orsay

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., 9 Jun. 2013
Perfect. Perfect. Top Score for me thanks to these books. I liked the fact that everything is neatly packaged and perfect as study materials.

Asus 1015PEM-BLK047S 10.1 inch Netbook (Intel Atom N550 1.5 GHz, RAM 1GB, HDD 250GB, Windows 7 Starter)

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely laptop, 7 Jun. 2013
One of my fave laptops of all time; slim, light 10 hours battery life, well worth the £400 I paid. Sadly have purchased a MacBook Air and migrating all formats to Mac so selling this baby!

Samsung UE32EH5300 Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV with Wi-Fi functionality (Old model)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible. Misselling,misinformed., 25 May 2012
Neveragain. No wifi, no iplayer, contact Trading Standards and ASA. Report to EU and small claims court. Think I should throw this TV away.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2012 2:26 AM BST

Koolertron Thinnest Aluminum Alloys Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Case As 11mm For iPad2 iPad3 And The New iPad

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product worth twice the money, 13 Oct. 2011
The best ipad keyboard I have used hands down, adds barly half a centimetere to the ipad, and functions as a screen protector so you dont need another case. backside looks exactly like ipad people are amazed!

Navman Mio C220 SatNav - UK & Ireland
Navman Mio C220 SatNav - UK & Ireland

5.0 out of 5 stars I have no words!, 25 Aug. 2007
Absolute brilliance. I saw 1 bad review, and vaguely suspect that's Garmin's notorious PR people...

Here's the skinny...this is my THIRD GPS system, by a slight margin the cheapest, and invariably the best.
1. The first was TomTom mobile on a Nokia 6680 (all in 250 quid-ish) which was reasonable, but no touch-screen and a small screen.... but still does the job.
2. Finally bit the bullet and bought a Garmin. Read a lot of positive's about Garmin and decided to buy a Nuvi, that set me back about 400 quid. I was pleasantly surprised, as it had a nice touch screen and performed the job, A to B.
3. My Garmin got nicked, so I bought a Mio C220....no mp3/handsfree bells and whistles, gps pure and simple...it cost about a quarter of the Garmin, so wasn't expecting much.... Was I blown away!!

The interface is two generations ahead of TomTom and three generations ahead of Garmin. The mapping is flawless. They have East European maps, so you can drive to croatia with these things, maps being teleatlas and cheaper than iether TomTom's or Garmin's. I thought it was a 'budget buy', but it beat Garmin and TomTom hands down, in terms of usability, portability, screen brightness, GPS reception, speech synthesis, POI's and more. Honestly, I can't think of a single positive of Garmin or TomTom compared to Mio within this price range (except the tomtom 720 has speech recognition, admittedly with faults). This obscure little Belgian company has just thrashed the big boys...

You might be satisfied with a Garmin, but after you use a Mio for a week you can never go back to Garmin...and before you ask...no, I'm in no way affiliated to Mio! :-)