Profile for Greybuff > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Complete Live At The Plugged Nickel - 1965
The Complete Live At The Plugged Nickel - 1965

4.0 out of 5 stars Downloading annoyance, 12 Mar. 2017
I love this music more than almost anything in jazz but there's a problem. Unable to afford the exorbitant prices now being asked for this set, I paid to download the lot, a modest £20.00. Fine - the music is great, the sound quality is good if a little bright at times, but strangely many of the tracks are brutally cut short as they near their end, I would guess sometimes by as much as 10 seconds. I won't say it ruins the listening experience, but it certainly takes the lustre off it and the club atmosphere is sorely diminished.

Have any other downloaders experienced this? Surely the original album didn't have these abrupt cut-offs. I don't know whether the engineers were just trying to edit out the applause for each number but if so they've made a bad misjudgement. Any comments welcomed.

Songmics 10 Tier Shoe Rack Cabinet for 27 pairs of shoes Standing Storage Organizer Light Brown 58 x 28 x 160 cm RXJ10K
Offered by Songmics

4.0 out of 5 stars Another broken zip, 12 Dec. 2016
I bought this product in August and whilst I'm generally delighted with it I now have the same problem as CN (see November 17th review) in that one of the zips has broken; in fact it was not smooth running from the outset. Like him/her I cannot see how to contact the manufacturer. Does anybody have any information please?

UPDATE 6.1.17

Songmics contacted me immediately after the above review and sent a replacement cover. Unfortunately that one was damaged in the post so they sent a second replacement which works perfectly. They were very diligent in addressing the problem so I've upgraded my review to
four stars; these thing happen.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2016 4:08 AM GMT

Panasonic TX-32A400B 32-inch HD Ready Slim LED TV with Freeview (New for 2014) (discontinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly lacking for music lovers, 4 Jun. 2015
I am surprised to see other buyers commending the sound quality on this model - I think it's feeble . If you're at all interested in watching musical performances (of any complexion) ) then this television is not at all impressive. Sound quality is sacrificed for design which is not surprising considering the impossibility of fitting decent loudspeakers in such a slimline cabinet.Certainly the major Japanese manufacturers seem to offer no other option. My wife and I were so fed up with the shallow, weedy sound which the TX-32A400B produces that on the advice of Panasonic themselves we have now invested in a SC-HTB88EB-K soundbar. But this brings its own problems. I reproduce part of my review here:

"Duly installed and it does what they say and gives you a fuller richer sound with some bass, just like the sound you used to get on the last generation of not-quite-so-slim televisions. So I now have a sleek skinny television with a fat long soundbar sitting in front of it talking up a lot of space which I can't really afford on my limited shelving.And it looks silly. Further, I have had to prop the television up on a one inch thick block of wood because the soundbar obscured the sensors on the bottom of the television, so that the remote wouldn't work - unless I stood up to operate it, which rather negates the point of having a remote. At least I no longer have to put with the shallow, weedy sound that my new TX-32A400B makes, but am I alone in wondering what the point of all this is? If ever there was a triumph of form over function this is it. TV manufacturers are now selling products which are deeply flawed; all that matters apparently is that they look pretty.Oh, and I now have another remote to play with because the volume is now controlled through the soundbar. So that's one for the TV, one for the soundbar and one for the DVD recorder. Daft.

Who knows, one day they may revert to making televisions that look good and sound good, all in one package! What a novelty.......

Panasonic SCHTB8EBK Black 3D Compatible 80W 2ch Soundbar with Bluetooth
Panasonic SCHTB8EBK Black 3D Compatible 80W 2ch Soundbar with Bluetooth
Offered by electronic empire

3.0 out of 5 stars PROGRESS?, 3 Jun. 2015
So duly installed and it does what they say and gives you a fuller richer sound with some bass, just like the sound you used to get on the last generation of not-quite-so-slim televisions. So I now have a sleek skinny television with a fat long soundbar sitting in front of it talking up a lot of space which I can't really afford on my limited shelving.And it looks silly. Further, I have had to prop the television up on a one inch thick block of wood because the soundbar obscured the sensors on the bottom of the television, so that the remote wouldn't work - unless I stood up to operate it, which rather negates the point of having a remote. At least I no longer have to put with the shallow, weedy sound that my new TX-32A400B television produces, but am I alone in wondering what the point of all this is? If ever there was a triumph of form over function this is it. TV manufacturers are now selling products which are deeply flawed; all that matters apparently is that they look pretty.Oh, and I now have another remote to play with because the volume is now controlled through the soundbar. So that's one for the TV, one for the soundbar and one for the DVD recorder. Daft.

Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2016 7:38 PM BST

D'indy/Piano Trio/String Qrt
D'indy/Piano Trio/String Qrt

3.0 out of 5 stars An uncharacteristically lazy effort from Naxos, 17 Jan. 2015
The good news is that the music is fascinating; I wasn't familiar with D'Indy's work and I just took a flyer on this on the basis of the Amazon sampling. It's fine, lyrical late 19th/early 20th century French chamber music in the style perhaps of Chausson and there's much to enjoy.

The downside is that this Marco Polo recording, issued under the Naxos label, has for some odd reason the most pitiful documentation. The front cover inner sleeve is just that, with no programme notes whatsoever, just a double-page spread inside promoting a few other Naxos recordings. It's a good job that the Amazon listing tells you that the musicians are The New Budapest Quartet because neither the sleeve nor the disc mentions the fact. Ilona Prunyi is mentioned on the back cover and on the disc, but once again it's only the Amazon listing that mentions that she is the pianist. If you didn't know that, they're not telling you.

The back cover of the sleeve lists the individual tracks BUT there are no track timings nor recording date details nor personnel listings, all of which are very annoying omissions.

I know that CD releases are in their winter years, but nonetheless this is altogether a very slack production by Naxos and I hope that it's not the shape of things to come.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2015 1:35 PM GMT

Tokina AT-X Pro DX Macro Lens with BH 77B Hood for Nikon Camera
Tokina AT-X Pro DX Macro Lens with BH 77B Hood for Nikon Camera

5.0 out of 5 stars What chromatic aberration?, 3 Mar. 2014
I can only assume that Mr. Borzani has been extremely unlucky with his lens sample because I can't find a sniff of CA on my images. I bought the lens two weeks ago and being newly retired have had the opportunity to take more than 1,000 images with it on my Nikon D90 in that time. For the life of me I cannot detect any colour fringing on trees or anything else - red, purple or otherwise. Nor have I suffered any problems with flare except where I've misjudged the angle of the sun. Nor is my manual focus switch difficult to operate and nor is the AF motor noisy. So I'm baffled by his review - he really must have bought a dog which surprises me as Tokina lenses are normally very reliable; I also had an 80-400 which was faultless. And no, I don't have any connection with Tokina!

It's a cracking lens, very sharp from front to back (only my Nikon primes are fractionally sharper), with minimal distortion and excellent colour rendition.The only problem I've had has been with vignetting at 12mm where I've used two screw-in filters. No great surprise there and simply eradicated by pulling back to 13 or 14mm. In just two weeks I've taken some of the best images of my photographic life and I am delighted with the lens. The other bonus is of course the range; in old money I'm shooting at 18-42mm, which means I seldom have to take it off the camera, which is always a good thing.

Like other reviewers I researched superwides long and hard before deciding on this lens. The other two Tokinas, the two Nikons, the Tamron and the Sigma all have something to commend them, but I'm so glad that I chose this. I wanted a great optical performer which was solidly built and would give me a useful range and this ticks all the boxes . It's great fun to use and exceptional value for money.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2014 11:37 AM GMT

Full House
Full House
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have paid more attention........., 26 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Full House (Audio CD)
For the second time (the other was Herbie Hancock's Takin Off) I should have noted that this version is on the Hallmark label, so no track timings, no personnel listing, no recording dates, no nothin'. I don't know whether Hallmark have copyright problems with that kind of information or whether they're just too lazy or mean to include it, but either way for the serious jazz fan it's a nuisance. But the record is cheap and the sound quality is acceptable.

Takin' Off
Takin' Off

3.0 out of 5 stars Careful, this isn't Blue Note!, 3 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Takin' Off (Audio CD)
I should have paid more attention - whilst this is nice and cheap and the sound quality is OK, it's a cheapo from Hallmark, not the original from Blue Note. So you don't get any liner notes and more importantly, you don't get track timings, which I personally find invaluable.

PIGEON HOLE - CD Media Storage Shelves - Mahogany
PIGEON HOLE - CD Media Storage Shelves - Mahogany

3.0 out of 5 stars Good service, but a flawed design, 26 Mar. 2012
Generally, I found this unit to be reasonable value for money. It's not the smartest furniture on close examination, but what do you expect for £75 - Chippendale?
Due to space considerations I needed to use the unit on its side, so required a slightly non-standard package and Watsons were very helpful and could not have tried harder to accommodate me. But yes, I too had to ask them for extra glue!

My one real gripe is that the CD pigeonholes are only 13cm square and I wish I'd noted that before ordering as it's just too small. What it means is that you only have 5mm average free space above the CDs, which is not enough room to put your finger in to hook one out if you've got a full pigeonhole. Consequently you tend to put only about ten discs in each compartment maximum which is wasted space. Even worse, most box sets (and I have a fair few) are over 13cm high, so they have to be stored separately.

Clearly, the designer of this unit has not thought the practical uses of the product through which is irritating - it's not rocket science after all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2012 9:46 PM BST

Mark Rothko
Mark Rothko
by Mark Rothko

5.0 out of 5 stars Confusion over two different books?, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Mark Rothko (Hardcover)
This 204 page book by Marjorie B. Cohn and published by Hatje Cantz in 2005 is as illustrated at the top of the page. However if you highlight the softback options you will see that a different book is shown - a 376 page work by Jeffrey Weiss for Yale University Press, which seems first to have been published in 1998 - check the full softback entry for this at no.5 on the Mark Rothko listings.

The reader's reviews on both books are virtually identical and since they date back to 1998/1999, it seems a fair assumption that they refer to the Weiss book and should not therefore be confused with this later work.

Certainly having just taken delivery of the Cohn book, I would strongly disagree with anyone who criticised the quality of the colour reproductions as they are quite superb. Overall it's a very fine book with a generous helping of Rothko's pictures in colour and some useful commentary.The large format is especially welcome as with Rothko, obviously it's a case of the bigger the better. Excellent value for money.

Page: 1 | 2