Profile for SJC no 1 fan > Reviews

Content by SJC no 1 fan

SJC no 1 fan "SJC no 1 fan" (Berkshire England)

Page: 1 | 2
I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim
by Terry Hayes

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this. A little too 'wordy' in places where ..., 11 Jan. 2016
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this. A little too 'wordy' in places where maybe 3 sentences may have sufficed instead of 7, but a fabulous story, very clever in places with good character descriptions and well paced. I have read the screen rights have been sold, I hope they cast this properly and don't just give to stars too old to play the two main parts.

Roma Buzz Away Fly Mask With Fleece - Black/Silver: Warmblood
Roma Buzz Away Fly Mask With Fleece - Black/Silver: Warmblood
Offered by Just Horse Riders

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 15 Aug. 2015
Too small for my TB 16.1 mare even though I ordered Full. Will be returning for a refund.

Lamentation (The Shardlake Series)
Lamentation (The Shardlake Series)
by C. J. Sansom

5.0 out of 5 stars Shardlake rules, 5 July 2015
I have to admit to being a Shardlake addict and couldn't wait for this to come out.
I would say in all honesty that the premise of the plot I thought a little weak, but once you get over that, the story is woven again with all the skill and majesty of a brilliant story teller. The characters seem so real one can picture a tv/film version of who might play them. The main hero continues to be a complex man, brave and yet thinks himself a coward, caring but can be ruthless when called upon.
Love these books. Hoping I don't have to wait too long for the next one.

The King's Sister
The King's Sister
by Anne O'Brien

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it in the end, 5 July 2015
This review is from: The King's Sister (Hardcover)
Takes a while to get going and must admit I was struggling to stick with it at first, but well worth it once I got past that feeling, and glad I stuck with it.

Winter Siege
Winter Siege
by Ariana Franklin

4.0 out of 5 stars I was initially really disappointed that this wasn't a continuation of the Adelisa stories ..., 24 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Winter Siege (Hardcover)
I was initially really disappointed that this wasn't a continuation of the Adelisa stories and therefore struggled a little early on in the book because of this. However I am glad I stuck with it. Wonderfully atmospheric of the times, and lead characters one grew to care about. Matilda has a little of her son in her from the earlier books( obviously set later as in Henry's reign), but this only made my admiration for the actual Matilda grow. A very strong woman in a time where it was almost impossible to be a strong woman. The ending is a little disappointing but this is a minor point.
I have read that Samantha Norman is writing another in the Adelisa series, and I can't wait, I would plea that if you are reading this Ms Norman, please, please let Rowley survive. Thank you. :)

The Religion
The Religion
by Tim Willocks

4.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Religion (Paperback)
Found this purely by chance never having heard of the author(any apologies offered) and a little reluctant as knowing nothing about the events in history described, but really enjoyed this book very much. The main male character reminds me a lot of Rowley, Bishop of St Albans from the Ariana Franklin books; a true knight of his time in all respects despite his upbringing and troubled beliefs.
The scenes of violence are very graphic as our some of the sexual encounters, but the characters are rich and well drawn, the battle tactics are explained in a clear way so that one can draw a picture in one's mind about what was happening and how. The ending is a tear jerker in regards to events to certain characters and I couldn't wait to see what happened at the end. Wishing there was more to come from Matthias, and rewarded with The Twelve Children of Paris found at the weekend and already finding it hard to put down.

Dominion
Dominion
by C. J. Sansom

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Shardlake but very clever, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Dominion (Paperback)
I was a bit hesitant about this as I was not keen on his other non Shardlake novel, but maybe my view is a little tainted as I love the Shardlake books so much. This takes a while to get going, and the characters don't immediately pull you in. In spite of this , it is extremely well written and you can well imagine the world painted in a post appeasement Britain basically run by Nazis and their stooges. Once it does pick up though, it's hard to put down to the point that when I had finished I hope he writes a sequel. There are lovely quirks to how history may have been if things had been different in 1940, and some lovely small incidents -such as the Queen not married at this stage - which make you stop and think, 'oh yes of course, she wouldn't have met Philip if.....'.
Overall not fantastic, but still a good read. I hope he is over his illness as given in the back of the book and hoping there will be much more to come from Mr Sansom. Especially concerning the genius that is Shardlake.

Life After Life
Life After Life
by Kate Atkinson

2.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointing, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to this, having read some of her other books, and having read some reviews had the anticipation of a 'Sliding Doors' type story. However, it is not. The first few chapters are very short which doesn't actually help as the incidences come too quickly. Half way through I became very bored as I really didn't care about the main characters but there were too many different versions of their lives and just as one 'thread' became interesting, it finished. I made myself finish it, partly as I hate abandoning books, partly because I was really hoping there would be an actual satisfactory conclusion and definitive point, but there was not, and sadly it was a slog to get through it when normally the longer the book the better I find, but not in this case.

Apple Tree Yard
Apple Tree Yard
by Louise Doughty

5.0 out of 5 stars So insightful it hurts, 16 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Apple Tree Yard (Hardcover)
I bought this book after hearing Ian Rankin recommmend it on Radio 2's show from the Edinburgh Festival. I would never have come across it otherwise, so thank you Mr Rankin and Radio 2.
This is a wonderful book, so insightful into a woman's feelings in the situation Yvonne finds herself in with her mystery man, and for her feelings for her immediate family, which I am certain will resonate with many if they were to be honest. Her feelings for him in particular are beautifully told. The story unwinds in such a way that you have to keep turning the page.
This is a book for all women who have loved, lost and mourn for something that actually was never there ( been there, done that, t-shirt etc) and all men who love and love and don't think of the consequences, if even as not as dramatic as in this case.
Highly recommended.

The Daughters of Mars
The Daughters of Mars
by Thomas Keneally

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't quite do it for me, 14 July 2013
This review is from: The Daughters of Mars (Paperback)
I was hoping to like this as very interested in WW1 and have read all of Vera Brittain's experiences, but this was so disappointing. Despite the travels and the things that happened to them, I strugled to engage with the characters, other than Mitchie, and got more annoyed as the book went on that despite the War itself and all the deprivation that would have entailed, the main characters seemed to spend as much if not more time on jaunts, leave, visits to here there and everywhere, and often leave seemingly granted as a minute's notice.
There is a very bad proof reading/author error in the last but one chapter when the two sisters are monetarily mixed up but it made me have to turn the page back to re read to make sure I had read it correctly.
I agree with another reviewer that the last chapter was rushed and disappointing.
I did however after a couple of chapters came to like the style of writing.

Page: 1 | 2