Profile for Best Crime Books > Reviews

Content by Best Crime Books
Top Reviewer Ranking: 190

Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
A Place for Us
A Place for Us
by Harriet Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 8 April 2015
This review is from: A Place for Us (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a huge fan of Harriet Evans and was looking forward to reading this. The storyline jumps between timelines for various members of the Winterfold family. The first section of the book uncovers some major secrets and you are soon formulating lots of questions. However as each chapter is revealed we learn a little bit more about each character.

I read this in one sitting, however the book was also released earlier in parts and I am glad that I didn’t read it that way as I can imagine the wait would have seemed unbearable. There were plenty of characters to love and loads of things going on. This latest book was packed full of drama and was a very engrossing read. I especially liked reading about Cat who is living in Paris. There is plenty to draw you in and it was a thoroughly enjoyable read.

The Informant
The Informant
by Susan Wilkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the next one, 2 April 2015
This review is from: The Informant (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was looking forward to this and had seen some pretty good reviews for it. The synopsis sounded very readable and I was pleased that I finally got around to it. First off it’s very readable, now I know that sounds like a silly thing to say but you know what I mean. The writing flows well and the book can be picked up and read with no effort. Realising that Susan Wilkins has moved from the world of script writing is no surprise. Kaz is the main character followed by her brother Joey. It seems Joey has been running the business while Kaz has spent a good few years in prison, for a crime her brother committed.

Kaz and Joey are complete opposites and it was easy to like Kaz as you see her struggle to get to grips with life on the outside. What makes it worse is that she wants to go straight, and Joey seems set on becoming more dangerous than he already is. I liked the copper Nicci Armstrong and thought her and Mal Bradley worked well together. There were a few threads going on within the story but each one held my interest. There was quite a lot of action and the story flowed well, held my interest and kept me reading, which I think I did in just a few sittings, and in a day and a half.

It has been left in such a way that the follow up is something you want to read but I still felt it had been wrapped up well enough and there was no major cliff-hanger. I was very pleased to realise that the second book by Susan Wilkins is out in May 2015 entitled The Mourner. It’s one that I think will be making it to my Kindle sooner rather than later. Certainly a cracking debut and an author I will be looking out for in the future.

The Inheritance (Swell Valley 1)
The Inheritance (Swell Valley 1)
by Tilly Bagshawe

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her previous books, 2 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have loved some of Tilly’s books in the past and was looking forward to reading this latest one. Tatiana starts the story off in the prologue with quite an entrance. It certainly made me laugh and I thought it may well be a case of a love/hate thing with this character. The main crux of the story is that Tatiana’s father has left the family estate to distant cousins from Australia, namely Brett Cranley. With all the scandal and drama required from a Bagshawe book we see fireworks as Tatiana decides to get back what she thinks is rightfully hers.

Something odd happened to me when reading this novel though. I found I didn’t care either way what happened to any of them. The thing I will say is that this is meant to be scandalous, dramatic and full of larger than life characters that you love to loathe. It certainly meets that criteria but for some reason I just couldn’t get into it. The book is certainly not a short read at over 500 pages long, but normally that wouldn’t bother me. I just found myself feeling like the book was dragging a bit and that it should just hurry up and finish.

Not my normal response to a Bagshawe book, and subsequently I can’t help feeling like this was just an average run of the mill book and nowhere near as good as some of her previous ones. Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood for this sort of book and I should have just left it a while and gone back to it, who knows? I will continue to read her books and hope that the next one tickles my fancy a little bit more.

A Cold Killing (Rosie Gilmour)
A Cold Killing (Rosie Gilmour)
by Anna Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Rosie is like a cat with 9 lives!, 26 Mar. 2015
Rosie Gilmour is something of a compelling series. Maybe it’s because she isn’t a copper? Maybe it’s because she is just a darn interesting character, who knows the exact reasoning but whatever it is, it draws me back to each new book in the series. Rosie Gilmour is a journalist that takes far too many risks just to scoop the story. This is book 5 in the series and after Rosie’s last escapade I was expecting it to be quieter and for Rosie to take less risky escapades. Not sure why I thought that and as usual Rosie has only just got herself back on safe ground when a new story breaks that piques hers and her boss Micks interest.

The shooting of a University lecturer at point blank range is what gets Rosie’s knickers in a twist this time and the victim Tom Mahoney is a seemingly mild mannered retired lecturer. Rosie’s instincts know this isn’t straightforward. I was pleased to see that Rosie’s colleague Matt returns (albeit briefly) as well as Adrian to help her out and follow leads. As usual Rosie’s leads are always fraught with danger and you end up holding your breath when she gets herself cornered in certain situations. There is a change in tack with the type of story Rosie follows but it made the book no less thrilling.

I swear to God I spend half the time when reading a Rosie book waiting for her to get killed, and the other half trying to work out how on earth she will get the answers she is looking for. We see all sorts of murky secrets uncovered and towards the end I still wasn’t sure whether the good guys were actually bad guys or what! Another great read which will have you turning the pages late into the night. I think maybe the reason this series is so popular is down to the tough character of Rosie, combined with varying themes that she works on. I guess Anna’s real life journalist experience helps her keep her books feeling very different without losing the main threads of the characters. Highly recommended!

The Third Wife
The Third Wife

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost seemed like it was from another author, 24 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Third Wife (Kindle Edition)
I have to say before I start to write my review I am a Lisa Jewell fan. But, and yes sadly there is a but! BY the time I finished this book I was confused as it felt like it had been almost written by a different author. The storyline seems to be somewhat different from her normal type of book and seems more like an insight into the characters themselves. Adrian is an architect who is waiting for his wife Maya to return home. When the knock at the door comes to say she has been involved in an accident and has died I really got the feeling that this would be a book that would have me up all night.

Unfortunately, that was where the drama ended for me. Adrian has been married twice before and had numerous children with his two previous wives. This story follows Adrian as he grieves for his wife whilst surrounded by his family. As is with most people Maya was hiding secrets and it seems the story’s intention is to reveal the murky skeletons in the closet layer by layer.

For me though, the characters just didn’t grip me enough and I was a little bit disappointed how little I cared. It felt like the story never went anywhere and all we were doing was analysing every member of the family as to how they felt about Maya. I liked the fact that we flip back in time and see what Maya was doing and going through while she was still alive. Sadly though, this wasn’t enough to garner much more that a fleeting interest.

I hate to be so negative about a book, especially as I am a Jewell fan, but for me this book just didn’t cut the mustard. I also felt like the ending was a little bit too neatly wrapped up with a bow! I am hoping that Lisa’s next book will see her return to her normal cracking form!

Budapest/48: A Ryan Lock Story
Budapest/48: A Ryan Lock Story

4.0 out of 5 stars Kept me going until the next one:-), 16 Mar. 2015
Some of you may know I am a huge Lock fan and although this isn’t a full book, it’s certainly better than a short story. It’s about a third of the length of a normal Lock novel, which is enough to whet the appetite. Meeting up with Ryan and Ty is like seeing old friends and I feel like I read about them only yesterday. This time they are on their way to do a job extracting a guy in a straightforward kidnap for ransom case.

As ever with these two, nothing is that straightforward. Typically the case has its own issued and Ryan and TY find themselves at one point in a rather precarious position. I wasn’t that amused to see a potential love interest for Ryan, especially as her name was not Kat! The story, although not full length, had the exact same style and flair that has made me a fan of this series in the first place. The only downside is that there just wasn’t enough. I could read about these two endlessly.

With two fantastic characters in Ty and Lock, along with some black humour they are the perfect combination for me and I have yet to be let down by a Lock book. Another great read by Mr Black, and as always I will be waiting with baited breath for the next instalment.

Vax Dual Power Max Carpet Cleaner
Vax Dual Power Max Carpet Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars Great job!, 16 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Carpet Cleaners are pricey and can be pretty large and cumbersome. Having said that, the Vax seems to have the best reputation for a carpet cleaner. When I got this out the box, I realised that even without the instructions it would be very easy to assemble (which it was). I decided to double check the instructions though and clicked everything into place in a matter of minutes. The added bonus is you also get a bag to put all the extras in such as the hose and extra parts.

Using the machine is easy and as soon as I started I knew that to press the button and then release was straightforward enough even for me:-) I was worried that the carpets would be soaking wet, but was surprised that they weren't as bad as I first thought. What was bad, was the state of my carpets! As soon as I had 'tried' this out I realised I would need to do my whole house! I have cream carpets so it made a huge difference. I liked the fact that I could do a fair area before I had to empty the tank.

I was sensible enough to do this late Sunday afternoon, and by the Monday morning they were practically dry. Overall I think this has done a terrific job and would recommend.

Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10)
Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10)

4.0 out of 5 stars WHAT is going on!??, 12 Mar. 2015
What is going on with this series? I need to clarify that I have read every one of the Roy Grace series and have loved them all (Dead Simple book 1 being my all time favourite). However a few things have been going on that have narked me, one of them being the ongoing saga of Roy Grace’s missing/presumed dead wife Sandy. More of that later, but in the meantime I was brimming with excitement at having this latest release nearly 2 months early. I immediately got stuck in and as usual the story took me away to that dark and murky corner of my mind which enjoys reading about other people’s misery. For those of you that maybe haven’t read any of these books I suggest you stop reading my review as it will inevitably contain spoilers if you are not up to date with the series. We are up to book 10 in the series and Roy Grace is on the verge of getting married to Cleo and they have a young baby son. In addition to Roy we see the other characters that us readers have grown to love such as Glenn Branson and Norman Potting return.

We meet the lead in this current story Red Westwood (GREAT character name dontcha’ think) as she is recovering from her past disastrous relationship. Bryce Laurent is the man responsible for ruining her life a year earlier and she had no idea that in the short space of time she knew him he would turn out to be so toxic. In the present time Red is living under police protection and trying to move on without him in her life. I liked Red instantly, but on the down side by a quarter of the way through I was beginning to wonder whether I was actually reading a Peter James book. We don’t even see Roy Grace appear until that point and it was only then that I felt myself feeling much more settled. When a body turns up that is linked to Red Westwood the police aren’t altogether convinced that its anything more than coincidence. However, before too long things continue to get more and more nasty for Red and Roy soon realises that Bryce is a major issue.

Alongside the main storyline (which isn’t necessarily PJs strongest I must say) we see Roy try and prepare for his wedding to Cleo. One of the major pulls with the series in the ongoing drama with his long missing wife (now presumed dead). I was under the impression that this element of the story would be completed by now and was hoping that this book would bring closure to that element as I am tiring of wondering. However, once again we only see the briefest glimpses of what happens, and I was absolutely gutted at how this has once again been left open ended, and maybe open to interpretation by the reader. Although it may seem like it’s all negatives I’m spouting off it really isn’t like that at all. I guess with Peter James you expect perfection every time (so no pressure there Peter), and I tend to be a lot more critical with longer established writers.

Even though there were certain things I didn’t like about this story, there were also some major OMG moments too, and all I can say is “Peter James, how could you have done that”. Major story shocker for one character involved and I thought it was so sad I could have cried (I didn’t though I assure you). Overall the writing style is pure Peter James and flows smoothly, with enough pace to keep you hooked. There were some magical jaw dropping moments proving that Peter James is the King of the Castle when it comes to this genre. I managed to read it in two sittings and although not one of my favourites still a great read.

The Treatment: Jack Caffery series 2
The Treatment: Jack Caffery series 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Gruesome, dark and scray...but compulsive reading!, 12 Mar. 2015
I have literally <insert shocked expression here, I know> started reading Mo Hayder. Why? Hell, I have no idea! As soon as I had finished book 1 I just knew I had to go on to book 2. There is however, something I feel I should point out about this book. It is DARK, and I mean dark. It covers subjects (such as child abuse and paedophilia) so if you haven’t the stomach for that sort of story please don’t read it, as it will no doubt disappoint and upset. Although the subject matter is awful, Hayder has a certain flair for making you, frankly scared witless! She has a rather dark manner about her books but they also show huge flair and skill which makes for a shockingly gripping book.

Jack Caffrey as the lead is a great character, but I tend to swing between loving him, and wanting to smack the s*** out of him! Following on from book 1, I wanted to know more about his dark past and his gripping addiction with finding out what happened to his brother many years before. Thankfully this part of the storyline is dealt with and makes for a huge chunk in working out just how screwed up Jack has become. That aside, the book starts us off with a shocking and disturbing scene in South London. It’s always a bonus when a book is set in an area you know as you find yourself naturally gravitating there in your imagination. Jack and his colleague Danni (who I really liked) investigate a missing child. His parents are found bound and beaten in their own home with no sign of their young son.

What follows is a disturbing but weaving and layered plot that will keep you guessing about who is involved and why. This was another Mo Hayder book that I really didn’t want to put down. She has a very descriptive way about scenes which can have you coming out in goose bumps, to the point where I wondered how far over the line this had to go to become a horror! I found myself turning the pages with rapid speed and as dinner went unchecked, and the bath left on I continued right to the end. When I had finished I realised although I loved it, the first book slightly edges over the second, but all the same I HAD to have book 3 ready. Luckliy I have the rest of the series ready to catch up on, which I fully intend to do ASAP!

Forgive Me
Forgive Me
by Lesley Pearse

5.0 out of 5 stars HOW have I never read this author before!!!, 12 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Forgive Me (Paperback)
: I have never read a Lesley Pearce which I now realise was a huge mistake on my part. However, this gave me the added advantage of having no expectations when I started reading. The main character Eva Patterson is the lead character and the opening chapters put you firmly into the horrifying discovery Eva makes as she finds her mother following her suicide. It is this event that starts a chain reaction that is horrifying and I certainly didn’t expect from a book with some an endearingly beautiful cover.

Aside from her Mothers suicide it’s hard to mention anything else within the story for fear of spoiling it for others. As a reader you literally follow Eva throughout her life and as each new trauma unfolds you feel yourself willing her on and hoping that things turn out okay for her. It’s an extremely gripping book and I can honestly say buy the end of it I was certain that I needed to stock up on Lesley Pearse’s back catalogue.

From start to finish I was taken on an emotional rollercoaster and found myself utterly enthralled by this book. The cover (although beautiful) didn’t even give me the slightest hint that this book would be so full of drama and tension. I would truly recommend this book and am thrilled that I have discovered just how great an author she is. I am now eagerly looking forward to reading her other books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20