Profile for BCB & More > Reviews

Content by BCB & More
Top Reviewer Ranking: 281

BCB & More "Best Crime Books and More" (London, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Secret of Orchard Cottage
The Secret of Orchard Cottage
by Alexandra Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars AB is a GENIUS!, 23 Jun. 2016
Okay, where do I start? Alex Brown is a GENIUS people. I have read all of her books (with the exception of one) and they are just better and better with each book I read. When I read 'The Great Christmas Knit Off' and realised it was one book in a series all set within the village of Tindledale I fell in love. There was no warning, it just rushed up and smacked me in the face. I was drawn to not only this beautiful little village but all the people in it, and I really do mean ALL of them. The wonderful thing is that each book features the main characters but each villager plays their part, and before you know it you wonder which one of them will be featured in the next book. Following on from that first book AB released 'The Great Village Show' and then this month she has released this beauty.

April Wilson is the star of this latest release and as we see her trying to get over the loss of her husband Gray she decides to visit her older Aunt Edie who lives in Tindledale. More specifically she lives in a place called Orchard Cottage. Orchard Cottage and its magical feel translates across the pages as if you were standing right next to April. However, this latest Tindledale book is a slight departure from the other two in the sense that I feel like it was dealing with a couple of more serious and evocative issues. Thankfully, Alex Brown has sprinkled her Author Magic and made it a beautiful and wonderfully enjoyable book to read.

There are so many characters that are added into the Tindledale mix such as April's Stepdaughter Nancy, and we see the return of much loved characters and places that feature in the other 2 books. Edie's story is one that is a little sensitive as it deals with Edie's apparent decline into Dementia. This along with the continual mention of Edie's sister Winnie, April feels like she doesn't know what is fact or fiction. This element of the story and finding out what happened to Winnie was so lovely and I really loved the way it was done. In addition we see April trying to get over her grief and it almost feels like the magic of Orchard Cottage rubs off on her as we see her develop.

Once again I was blown away by how great Alex Browns books are. They are going from strength to strength and I feel like at the moment she can do no wrong. She creates characters you really feel for and love as well as creating a village in my head that I would LOVE to visit. Bravo Alex, I am will be waiting with baited breath for the next Tindledale installment.

Ultranatura Bali series Hammock with spreader bars incl. 2 pillows (27 x 16 in /70 x 40 cm), approx. 7.2 x 5.2 ft (220 x 160 cm), max. user weight 330 lbs (150 kg)

4.0 out of 5 stars The difference between this and other hammocks I have used is that this has wooden spacers which keep the hammock pretty flat so, 20 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review is for the hammock only and not the stand. The fabric is lovely and very summery. The difference between this and other hammocks I have used is that this has wooden spacers which keep the hammock pretty flat so you actually lay on top of it rather than the hammock bunching up around you keeping you cocooned, so to speak. It looks pretty and is ideal for two people, although the balancing act might be slightly trickier.

The Hope Family Calendar
The Hope Family Calendar
by Mike Gayle

3.0 out of 5 stars I like Mike Gayle books but have found some of them ..., 13 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like Mike Gayle books but have found some of them to be a little 'middle of the road'. Sadly for me this one fell into that category. We see the story told from two points of view. Tom and both his mother in law Linda are the story teller's POV and it makes for a more interesting read that's for sure. Tom is struggling since his wife's death but luckily for him his Mother-In-Law is there to help pick up the pieces. However, when Tom gets arrested Linda takes drastic action and jets off to the other side of the world to leave Tom to deal with his two daughters. I enjoyed the stroy and there was plenty to keep me interested, however I couldn't help feeling there was something missing as I didn't care too much about either of the main characters? Strange but sometimes books just leave you feeling like that. Overall a solid read, but one that left me indifferent!

How to Find Love in a Book Shop
How to Find Love in a Book Shop
by Veronica Henry

4.0 out of 5 stars ... read a lot of Veronica Henry's books am rarely disappointed. This latest release was no different featuring Emilia ..., 9 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have read a lot of Veronica Henry's books am rarely disappointed. This latest release was no different featuring Emilia the baby of Julius Nightingale who started his own bookshop in Peasebrook in the Cotswolds. When Julius passes away we meet the adult Emilia who is struggling to decide what to do with her Father's beloved bookshop. There is a whole host of characters that add value to this book and each one has an impact on Emilia and her time at the Bookshop. There are many people whose lives have been impacted by the bookshop and each one brings a layer to the story. An enjoyable read and one that would make a good holiday book!

Blood Sister: A thrilling and gritty crime drama (Flesh and Blood series)
Blood Sister: A thrilling and gritty crime drama (Flesh and Blood series)
by Dreda Say Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome read, 9 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been reading DSM books for some time, especially the Gangster Girl series of books which I loved. When she released her book Vendetta featuring Rio Wray it seemed her writing had taken a slightly different turn but I still enjoyed the book. However, with this latest book it seems she has gone back to the gritty, London thrillers she used to write back when she was writing the Gangster Girl series. This is the start of a trilogy and frankly was an awesome read. Due to the release date being so far away I will amend this and create a full book review nearer release.

X-Doria Bump Gear Plus Protective Hard Shell Clip-On Case Cover Compatible With iPhone 6/iPhone 6S - Clear/Gold

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy to attach and reasonably robust case, 16 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An easy to attach and reasonably robust case. If you have the right front and back screen and case covers on then this little case will be ideal!

Summer at Rose Island: A perfect feel good summer romance (White Cliff Bay)
Summer at Rose Island: A perfect feel good summer romance (White Cliff Bay)

4.0 out of 5 stars it's lovely to have an insight into other people living in this beautiful town. Holly's last book Snowflakes on Silver Cove ..., 13 May 2016
So Holly Martin is back with another new book still set in the White Cliff Bay area. Her other two book sin this series feature other people living in the Bay area and although you can read each book as a stand alone, it's lovely to have an insight into other people living in this beautiful town. Holly's last book Snowflakes on Silver Cove featured Libby and George and this time around they focus on their new neighbour Darcy. Darcy is a newcomer to town and is trying to settle into her new life. Darcy has a couple of weeks to settle before she starts her new job so makes the most of it.

When Darcy takes her morning swim she comes across the lighthouse keeper Riley Eddison. Riley is a very secretive and private America living in the Rose Island lighthouse and renovating it after it has spent many years in his family. As a rather big fan of Holly Martin she does once again what she does best, which is to create characters you fall for. Darcy is a red-headed and strong spirited, albeit slightly geeky girl. Whilst Riley is a tough on the outside and soft as marshmallow on the inside. Instantly you see that these two characters are testing the waters with each other and wonder just how things will pan out.

Although you don't necessarily follow stories from one book to the other, the fact that so many familiar faces pop up makes you feel like you know half the town anyway. It's part of the charm of this series and I always look forward to new books about other characters living in White Cliff Bay. Now the other two books in this series I rated 5 stars, so why this one only 4? Well, for some reason things just happened and fell in to place far too quickly in this latest book for my liking. Normally there are more challenges and this book seemed a little too perfect (if you know what I mean). Aside from that this was still just as enjoyable as the others.

I will be waiting for the next book eagerly as I can't wait to see who we meet next. As always Holly Martin has produced a very charming, easy to read and feel good book that makes you smile. I am most certainly a fan now and think this is an ideal book for your holidays!

The Teashop on the Corner
The Teashop on the Corner

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn’t feel like you are reading about any one of them, 11 May 2016
Prior to starting this latest Milly Johnson I was in something of a ‘book funk’. Reading on average 3-4 books a week, I suddenly found everything I picked up didn’t hold my interest. I just couldn’t get in to anything and was wondering whether I should take a few days break. However, luckily for me I persevered. Well actually what that meant was closing my eyes and tapping a page on my Kindle for a ‘Lucky Dip’. That ‘Lucky Dip’ happened to be this one by Milly Johnson and what a treat it ended up being!

Carla Pride is in a position many women may empathise with. She has been married for ten years and her husband dutifully goes off to work, while she sits at home keeping the place spic and span whilst trying to find a new job. When her husband dies suddenly she becomes much more than just a grieving widow. Finding herself in a position where she needs to start afresh she is not only nervous but apprehensive about what is in store for her.

The Teashop on The Corner is owned by Leni Merryman and soon becomes the centre stage for this story. This book doesn’t just follow one lead character but a few and its done magnificently! Will Linton has lost everything and is starting again, Molly Jones has to deal with the re-appearance of an ex-husband and all together the Teashop becomes their sanctuary. In addition characters pop up such as Sean , Ryan and Mr Singh. It doesn’t feel like you are reading about any one of them, but all of them as a whole.

I fell in love with the teashop as well as the characters in the book. Milly Johnson has always been a fantastic author who I have loved reading but I must say this book had that extra something and I couldn’t even tell you what that ‘something’ was…it was just there! Read in one day, this book not only got me out of my book funk, but transported me to a town I actually wanted to be a part of. BY the end of this book I wanted to know what happened to them after that, a girl can hope right? A truly magical read which had me smiling, crying and laughing. A highly recommended read!

Little Boy Blue: DI Helen Grace 5 (A DI Helen Grace Thriller)
Little Boy Blue: DI Helen Grace 5 (A DI Helen Grace Thriller)

5.0 out of 5 stars it is made so much better by the fact that I have been following the ..., 11 May 2016
I have been reading the Helen Grace Series from the beginning and was so looking forward to the next instalment. As soon as I started I was straight back into Helen’s world and was absorbed within a matter of a few chapters. One thing I will point out is that although you may well be able to read this as a standalone book, it is made so much better by the fact that I have been following the series. You have a real sense of the characters and their history and how each path has been crossed with other people. Helen is an outstanding character and as many readers will know she has her own secrets which will put her firmly in the firing line in this latest book.

A body is found to start us off, only this time it’s found at a Southampton nightclub which was hosting a fetish ball and as soon as Helen arrives she realises that she has her own personal connection to the murder. This alone makes for an outstanding read, but add in all the other factors such as the return of favourite characters and I knew this would be a full5 star read and I wasn’t even halfway.

Helen’s superior Gardam made for such a good thread to the story I had no idea where the story would go with it until it smacked me around the face (I didn’t see that coming). We also see Helen’s juniors Sanderson and Brooks fighting for their position as Helen’s right hand woman. The murders continue to increase and every plot thread added to the tension and ratcheted up the nerve endings. By the time the last quarter of the book was upon me, all thoughts of dinner, washing and anything else remotely house related went straight out the window. The real kicker was the ending. It was a real OMG moment and I was FURIOUS that Arlidge has left us hanging. It was so good it was bad (if you know what I mean). All I can say is I am literally on tenterhooks waiting for the next book which is due for release on 8 September 2016. An absolutely brilliant book which I think is Arlidge’s best yet and I cannot recommend this series highly enough.

The Birds and the Bees
The Birds and the Bees

5.0 out of 5 stars When I realised that I still had a couple of books of hers I hadn't read I was so pleased that I immediately bumped it up my to, 11 May 2016
Oh my. Milly Johnson recently got me out of a little reading funk with her release The Teashop On The Corner. When I realised that I still had a couple of books of hers I hadn't read I was so pleased that I immediately bumped it up my to be read list, and thank goodness I did. Stevie Honeywell is an adorable character that you cannot help from the outset. She is a writer who is just weeks away from her wedding to fiance Matthew. However, she certainly wasn't expecting Matthew to run off with the much skinnier and more glamorous Jo Maclean.

Her friend Catherine along with her husband Eddie and their brood of children make for excellent secondary characters and we see them chivvy Stevie along so that she can move on from Matthew. However, that was before Stevie met Adam Mac Lean, Jo's ex-partner. Adam is a really funny character to read about, with his gruff Scottish drawl and brittle exterior,, he really is a lovable bloke. With Stevie experiencing so many setbacks, her and Adam are hellbent on showing they don't need their exes, with the sole purpose of attracting them back.

As with any Milly Johnson book it takes little to settle in and the characters you instantly like and want to know more about. Every time I read a Milly Johnson book it cheers me up and I just want to keep reading. I find myself in that horrible position of only having one of her books left to read so shall save that for my next book funk moment. This is a warm-hearted and wonderful read that will cheer you up no end.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20