Profile for DL Productions UK > Reviews

Content by DL Productions UK

DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
VIBE Slick Zip Headphones - Red
VIBE Slick Zip Headphones - Red
Offered by RadioWorld

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for their price range, 23 Nov. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never heard of Vibe before this, but apparently they make audio products. I really liked the idea of a zip to keep my headphones together, because when you're taking out your headphones from your pocket, it's usually all tangled up, and you can easily spend 5 minutes sorting them out.

The packaging is the usual plastic box, nothing fancy, and wasn't easy to open. I did manage by tearing the cardboard. Thinking this would be the end of it, I got the headphones out to discover to my horror that there's a sheet of plastic moulded for the plugs themselves. You either have to push them through and hope no damage takes places to the fittings, or cut carefully. I chose the first and have to say I managed it; though I think Vibe could do better in this department.

One thing I found annoying about these headphones is the plug, it's got an annoyingly large L shaped jack. This is fine if you don't have a case, but with some it means it has to stay in one place rather than move around. This can be annoying with the iPod Touch as I have to have the screen facing away from me, making changing tracks annoying. The zip feature itself is good, but it does not cover the entire cable, and you still have around 30cm which can get tangled, so it doesn't completely solve the issue. At least they tried I guess.

Sound wise these are OK for their price range, good levels of bass and treble. The high range is quite punchy on these which is good. I tested it on a few different types of music and I think they work better on bass heavy music rather than mid ranged stuff. These probably won't interest classical music fans anyway, but they're probably not what they're looking for.

Altogether this was a great idea by Vibe, who were trying to meet a problem head on with a zip, and in some ways, kudos to them for making it possible, just think it could have been done better, and a better jack should be on the cards for their next editions.

Update: 27th March 2013: sadly the left ear piece has nearly died, the sound has gone all tinny and funny, so it looks all they'll be used for is to listen to audiobooks - wonderful!

Lonely Planet Pocket Paris (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Pocket Paris (Travel Guide)
by Catherine Le Nevez

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for short stays, 21 Nov. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you are planning a break to Paris (and why not, as a native I'd recommend it!) this isn't a bad buy. It is reasonably priced, small enough to fit in a jacket pocket, and has a neat map inside which you can fold out. My only gripe with it was how difficult it was to get that map out in the first place.

This book covers every touristy thing you'd want to do in Paris, especially the Eiffel Tower, Centre Pompidou (god knows why though!) and Notre Damme (you should visit that!). There are very good guides on getting there and using our Metro, including the Paris Visite card you can get for a weekend away. The guide is clearly written and does not have any awkward backgrounds to read from, so you can peruse this in the Metro while travelling. The pictures are glorious and show off the city very nicely.

So what sections can you expect from this? Well there's Eiffel Tower and Les Invalides, Arc De Triomphe et Champs Elysée, Louvre, Tuileries and Opéra, Sacre Coeur and Montmartre, Centre Pompidou and Le Marais, Notre Damme and the isles, Latin quarter and Musée D'Orsay and St Germain Des Pres. These all have plenty of ideas for eating, visiting museums and shopping, puts extra goodies you might want to see.

Altogether this is well thought out, but I think for me it is missing parts of the city, like Les Buttes Chaumont in the 19th, Canal St Martin in the 10th, and Belleville in the east of the city, nevermind Bercy and Parc André Citroen - which to me are all worth seeing. For those of you who want to see how the rich get buried you might want to see Cimetière Père-Lachaise (Gambetta - 20th) which is insightful.

Good guide, could have been a bit more in-depth and left field, what Lonely Planet used to be back in the day.

Chris Benoit [Explicit]
Chris Benoit [Explicit]

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting track by the ICP, 26 Oct. 2012
It's been a while since I've listened to the Posse, but this is a good track, which expands hip hop into another venue. It's lyrics are raw and uncompromising which is usually good if done well, and the instrumental has this bizarre carnival feel, but fans of ICP will be at home with this. Definitely worth a look at the album too.

The Terminal [DVD] (2004)
The Terminal [DVD] (2004)
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Walk Out Of The Terminal?, 26 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Terminal [DVD] (2004) (DVD)
It's a bit unusual for Stephen Spielberg to make a movie like this, he usually likes Sci-fi movies where you see aliens get killed, but here he's gone for a more subtle, thought provoking movie about where do we come from, and why we can't change the rules to suit ourselves.

Vicktor finds out he can't go to the US, not because he's poor, but because his home nation is at war, so at the moment the US do not accept his country. Which means his Visa and Passport are worthless to him. So what does the security at JFK do? That's right - leave him in the terminal until either he sneaks out, or the war sorts itself out.

I really enjoyed this, Tom Hanks gives the performance of his career here and does this great Eastern European accent - he must have studied them coming to America, because he's very good at their mannerisms too. I on the other hand, did not enjoy Catherine Zeta-Jones' portrayal of a air stewardess, it was just too wooden, and boring, plus she was acting how people typically see air stewardesses, which was a bit condescending really.

Overall a great film, with a nice new twist from Spielberg.

2 Days in New York [DVD]
2 Days in New York [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julie Delpy

2.0 out of 5 stars Can I Have My 90 Minutes Back?, 21 Oct. 2012
This review is from: 2 Days in New York [DVD] (DVD)
Julie Delpy - lets face it, she's a control freak. She just seems to totally take over most projects she does, and from what I have seen so far, not done that well. OK, 2 Days in Paris was good, but mainly because Paris is so beautiful you can put up with banal conversation and pointless arguments with her boyfriend next to the Seine - but really this sequel is just pants.

I did like the puppet show she did for her child in this, it was nice, but really once that was all done, and we met her father in this (Albert) and her sister (Alexia Landeau) and her boyfriend Manu (Alexandre Nahon) I pretty much wanted out of this. Even Chris Rock, who's been fantastic in his own show Everybody Hates Chris, and of course The Chris Rock Show, just wasn't on par. Yes, he was funny, but that's as far as it went.

It was just too quirky, it didn't seem realistic, and at times it just dragged. I started clock watching and hoping this would end sooner than later, and this isn't my way, usually I watch a movie giving it 100% of my attention, but this really didn't have that pulling power. You can see through my past reviews that I know Delpy from her other films, and as a French cinema buff, she was right up my street, but I think she just went too far, tried to go all "rom-com-au-Francophonie" which doesn't work (just look at L'Arnacoeur) and it just seems embarrassingly boring.

I didn't bother with anything else off this DVD as it was just too much. I ended up selling it, and again it's not like me to do that, I usually give it another go. If it wasn't for the fact this had funny moments which worked well, I'd have given this only one star.

Not worth a look.

Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap [DVD]
Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap [DVD]
Dvd ~ Afrika Bambaataa
Offered by babsbargains *** WORLDWIDE SHIPPING ***

5.0 out of 5 stars Ice T Takes You On A Journey Through Rap, 21 Oct. 2012
Ice T has done a lot in his life, from being in the army, to being a hustler, to starring in Law and Order SVU, and now he's a director. This is his début, and what a great subject he chose for his first film, all about the masters of rap and hip hop, so don't expect any fake rappers here, just the cream of the crop.

There are a lot of interviews here, and you'll find them insightful, including Dr Dre, Nas, KRS-One and Snoop even gets to say a few words here. It's all very well done too, and Ice seems to get an unrestricted view of their lives, and brings it to the big screen.

For anyone who likes the genre this is a must - specially if they liked the original masters like Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel, KRS and so on. Ice T doesn't just look at the music, but the beats, it's history and the graffiti scene, though he doesn't really delve that far into it.

This is a good documentary that doesn't judge, we're not left in that old "who killed Biggie and 2Pac" like some documentaries do; it's an open mic for rappers to discus what they've done and how they did it. Even a bit of lyric dissection comes into play, usually followed by Ice saying "that's just sick" - as a front-man for his film he does a nice job.

Another thing I liked is that he didn't get into all that East-Coast-West-Coast stuff, and he has respect for the whole scene. One thing I did find strange he didn't mention how it got exported to other parts of the world, might have been cool if he'd talked to Akhenaton (he's bilingual) or even Rockin' Squat from Assassain. Still, this perfectly represents the USA.

I'd recommend this to anyone who likes rap, or even wants to know more, as it's a good documentary by someone who obviously has a lot of love and respect for the scene - he's lived hip hop, and it shows.

WD My Passport Edge 500GB Portable Hard Drive for Mac  USB 3.0 - Black
WD My Passport Edge 500GB Portable Hard Drive for Mac USB 3.0 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Piece Of Kit Not Just For Mac Users, 21 Oct. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't really understand why this is being marketed towards the Mac crowd, as it is using a USB (*Universal* serial bus) interface. The product will simply work with a PC once you have mounted it, assigned it a drive letter, and formatted. So why are they trying to say this is only good for Mac users? Hopefully those savy amongst you will not be fooled by this.

Anyway, this is a good build, nice and slim, and all aluminium, which should mean it is going to be good at keeping cool. I have been using it for a few hours now and yes it does get warm, but it is not as bad as it was with their last Passport I had which was all plastic. I prefer this new design, it's more robust and makes you feel more confident about the quality of the product.

This does come with USB 3.0, sadly I don't have USB 3.0 but using it on a USB 2 machine with plenty of memory (4GB) I found the transfer rates very good, well in the 50MB/s mark. This is decent enough for a lot of uses, not just for backup. You can easily play HD movies off this, and high end audio.

Again this unit is self powered. This means there are no cumbersome mains plugs to carry which take up a lot of space. This will fit in a shirt pocket happily with the small cable behind it no problem.

The cable, for me, is slight too short. Why not have a meter cable like most HDDs have? I guess if you have a tower you can put it on top of that, or right by the side of your laptop, otherwise it's a bit of a pain.

This unit will work with most things, as long as they're powered USB sockets. I didn't try this with the PlayStation 3 as their last offering did not work. I suspect this will be the same, I know my Denon HIFI does not see it, even if formatted in FAT32 with FAT32 Format. It's a shame, but still, it's going to have other uses.

I'd highly recommend this for travellers, with the hard aluminium case it should be stronger than the plastic cases you have on HDDs. I'd recommend getting a good pouch for it, it would be a shame to scratch it's sleek case - as it is visually stunning. Don't be put off PC users, this will work on a PC, it is doing so right now in Windows 7.

Roi Sans Carrosse
Roi Sans Carrosse

4.0 out of 5 stars King Without His Chariot, 21 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Roi Sans Carrosse (Audio CD)
Oxmo has seen some changes in his style lately, he started out as this tough MC, talking about violence (Pucco'Fiction) right through to being a lonely child being picked on by other kids. Now Oxmo's gone very poetic, using verbs like coccyx and describing sex without even being explicit (La Danse Couchée) right through to describing spiced sugar (Le Sucre Pimenté). This has been a big change from the freestyles he threw out there - I always remember his freestyle with Time Bomb: "you'll be sweating so much they'll call you shower".

This album is much more laid back than any of his so far, even L Arme de Paix [Livre-CD], which was brilliant (especially Partie Cinq Minutes); Oxmo seems to be going down the route of "Slam" where it's like he is reciting poetry rather than rapping, which Grand Corps Malade does (not my favourite by the way) but, Oxmo does it better. He's always had a great voice with not too much authority, but enough to make you listen to what he has to say.

The best track on this has to be his featuring with singer Mai Lan (La Danse Couchée) because of the funky synth line playing along, plus it has great lyrics and good use of French. I also enjoyed Le Sucre Pimenté, though the freestyle remix with Dabaaz, 20Syl and so on is much better. Otherwise the rest of the album is very good, laid back and funky. I really do hope Oxmo does another album with The Jazzbastards as they were great too, really funky and of course, well composed lyrics.

This is taking French rap to another level, and well done by Mr Puccino, who has been at the forefront for a good 15 years now. He's always been stylish, and this just takes it to the next level.

Looking forward to his next project, and hopefully seeing him in Bobigny!

The World Is Yours (Explicit Album Version)
The World Is Yours (Explicit Album Version)

4.0 out of 5 stars Who's World Is This?, 21 Oct. 2012
I've always loved this track, but hearing it while Nas talks about his rap career in Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap [DVD] reminded me what a great instrumental it has. That piano is just so good, then add Nas' lyrics with their punchy vibe and street slang, it just makes a great combination. I think this track will always be part of my top ten of all time Rap/Hip Hop, as it's classic, and at a time before hip hop took itself too seriously and got saturated with bad MCs who didn't really have much to say. I like conscience rap, that makes you think about what is being said, and Nas brings it here. You need to add this to your iPod, it's a classic.

Monsieur Lazhar [DVD] [2011]
Monsieur Lazhar [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Mohamed Fellag

3.0 out of 5 stars C'est Compliqué Pour Lui, 18 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Monsieur Lazhar [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Monsieur Lazhar (Mohamed Fellag - better known for his theatre work) is an Algerian immigrant trying to rebuild his life after he had something traumatic happen there. The kids at the Montréal school where he gets a job are in a similar boat, losing a teacher to suicide has taken a lot out of them. Bachir has to help them get back to work, realise what has happened and hopefully guide them to better times.

This was a pretty good film, but very slow at times. Mohamed was very good as Lazhar and gave that very sincere performance he is known for. I found the rest of the cast a bit inhibited at times and it made it feel unreal; plus I felt the story went far too slowly to feel anything for what was going on, sure the suicide was unpleasant and I felt for the kid who discovered her, otherwise I just didn't feel for the movie.

The DVD is pretty good with a decent picture and sound, and has a 5.1 and 2.0 mix. As I was watching it on a 2.0 system I didn't bother with the full mix. One problem I did have was with the mixing, sometimes the dialogue was very quiet so difficult to hear, but usually it was good. You have the choice of turning off the subtitles which is very welcomed.

Not a bad movie, but I wouldn't say it was worthy of awards, I think emotions were ruling the judges there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20