Profile for apricot > Reviews

Content by apricot

apricot

Thursday's Child: A Frieda Klein Novel (4) (Frieda Klein Series)
Thursday's Child: A Frieda Klein Novel (4) (Frieda Klein Series)

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't wait to finish it!, 31 Aug. 2015
I really did struggle with this one... Towards the end I was bored with all the characters in Braxton and couldn't wait to finish it.. Have just discovered that 'Friday' is out...and I actually groaned... Feel a sense of obligation to read that one, as i've read all of her novels, but I won't rush out to buy it..

The Illustrated Garden Book
The Illustrated Garden Book
by Robin Lane Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars a delight, 4 May 2015
I'm reading my Mother's copy and I'm borrowing it! A delight to read and very informative

Kitchen Craft Stainless Steel Egg Topper
Kitchen Craft Stainless Steel Egg Topper

3.0 out of 5 stars Romantic, 27 Dec. 2012
This was given to me by my bf on Christmas day. I've read how it works better on small eggs which is a pity as I always buy eggs in Large.. Anyhow, I expect you'd agree that it is a very romantic present.. I also received a duster from him....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2015 3:40 PM GMT

Lighthouse, The (SALT MODERN FICTION)
Lighthouse, The (SALT MODERN FICTION)
by Alison Moore

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably dull, 11 Nov. 2012
Why this book made the Booker short list is beyond me. Unbelievably dull and boring. I didn't finish it and was told by someone who had, that nothing happened.

Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Novel (2) (Frieda Klein Series)
Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Novel (2) (Frieda Klein Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Half way through and it's very good....., 15 Aug. 2012
I have read all Nicci French's books and am enjoying the latest theme. Blue Monday was excellent. I am half way through Tuesday's Gone and I'm wondering what the titles will be for Wednesday? Wednesday's Woe? and Thursday's Child and Forbidden Friday perhaps?..I can see this as a TV drama shown over a week or maybe once a week on a different day to coincide with the titles. You would make a cosy beef caserole and then curl up on the sofa watching this with a glass of wine. Of course it would have to be shown in the Autumn or winter months. I have a feeling that Frieda will hook up with the sexy emotionally damaged cop. I have some actors in mind for their parts. Buy this book!

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey
by E. L. James

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly bad & cringeworthy, 27 April 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (Paperback)
I bought this book because of all the hype (Radio 4 Woman's hour, Time Magazine, BBC Newsnight, national newspapers etc. First question: Who does her PR? Well done that PR person. You must be rubbing your hands with glee, together with the writer.

I'm angry with myself for having been drawn in to all the hype and wasted my money on such utter rubbish. Right from the start, the book irritated me. Ana is an English student who meets an incredibly rich and powerful man and they shag and use bondage stuff (not sexy, sorry). Then there was the constant references to her "inner bloody goddess" After reading that about 108 times I hurled the book across the floor; the same went for "Oh my" over and over and over again. The Americanisms drove me mad, the plot was thin, totally unrealistic, and the characters were unlikeable. I find it hard to believe that Ana, a student, didn't have a laptop in 2012 and rarely used her mobile. E L James - Get real! Plus the editor did a bad job as it had plenty of spelling mistakes.

I haven't bothered to finish this awful awful book. (Think I'll bury it in the garden, rather than hand it in to my local charity shop for someone else to buy it) I find it unbelievable that it was published in the first place and hear it's going to be made into a film!!! Good God - Do not waste your time or money. Literature, it ain't.

Tideline
Tideline

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Tideline (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book after listening to Penny Hancock on Radio 2 and was intrigued. Being a Londoner myself and growing up on the River Thames in Kew, I could relate to the descriptions of the river, set in Greenwich, in the book. Apart from that I became bored with the story and the implausibility of it. To me, it just wasn't convincing at all. The real depth of character of Sonia was not fully explored. Jez (the name irritated me, for some reason?)was a difficult to read character too. I also read snippets which I'd heard recently on Radio 4 "my Mother smelled of gin and Chanel". A good plot, but no real depth.....
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2012 5:27 PM BST

Absent Friends
Absent Friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Different and wonderful, 15 July 2004
This review is from: Absent Friends (Audio CD)
i have just bought this cd from amazon after listening to it on radio 2 and then on jonathan woss show last friday. i have to say i think it's unique and a great cd. i've never heard any of his stuff before until recently. all the tracks are original and i love the instrumentals. my favourite track is "mutual friend" and my least favourite is the one about the beautiful shipwreck (can't remember the title) which sounds out of tune. i think neil looks very interesting and i'd like to find out more about him. well done!!!

Essays in Love
Essays in Love
by Alain De Botton

4.0 out of 5 stars truthful, 27 Mar. 2002
This review is from: Essays in Love (Paperback)
i ordered this book thru amazon, as the title intrigued me. At first, i was irritated by his style, but soon got quite immersed in the 'diary' and finished it in a day. It's very insightful and sad and funny, and hope for us all at the end!

Nigella Bites
Nigella Bites
by Nigella Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars Another successful book, 18 Jan. 2002
This review is from: Nigella Bites (Hardcover)
I was given this book for Christmas (I already own her two previous titles) I made the chocolate fudge cake for my 8 year old's birthday party. I have to say it rose when sandwiched together about 10 inches! It tasted fab too. One of my son's friends complained that it was too rich.... but no one else did!! The turkish delight syllabub is apprently good too - a friend of mine made it. Well done Nigella!