Profile for Jaysview > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
OurPets A-Peeling Cat Toy
OurPets A-Peeling Cat Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars The only one my cats really enjoy, 14 Feb. 2014
This review is from: OurPets A-Peeling Cat Toy (Misc.)
I have tried many catnips but most are just stuffed with a tiny bit of catnip and loads of cotton wool. These are solid catnip all through, stuff to the gills. Excellent standard. The toy is robust and large, about 6 inches long.

Worth the money as all 4 of my cats play with these for weeks and weeks.

They do other designs and colours but puzzlingly, all my cats are most interested in the yellow banana designs so I would strongly recommend this above the other options.

The Mentalist - Season 6 [DVD] [2014]
The Mentalist - Season 6 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Simon Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoying this season on TV, will get the DVD, 14 Feb. 2014
This season is as good as the show has always been. Really enjoying it on the TV, other than the very very unhelpful mid season break that Channel 5 has unhelpfully extended. I am hoping they carry on into season 7 or beyond.

Will be buying it as soon as it comes out on DVD as re-watching always brings out more details, drama, darkness and humour.

Thanks to all the cast for such great acting. I wish more TV was to this standard of writing and acting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2014 12:29 PM GMT

Polaroid Pro Studio 2.4 m Air-Cushioned Heavy Duty Light Stand
Polaroid Pro Studio 2.4 m Air-Cushioned Heavy Duty Light Stand
Offered by Smart Shop UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality stand, 2 Nov. 2013
I bought 1 of these light stands. It arrived promptly. I looked it over. Then I sent for 3 more...

Highlights:

- The fittings are all metal so will last well and should not split or crack as plastic collars can.

- The tubing is larger diamater and very solid.

- The stand is heavier than some stands I have used, it can carry 15 lbs in weight. I wanted a stand that could cope with larger softboxes and lighting units without causing me to worry about stability etc. The stands are still light enough to use on location though I would not wish to carry several of them long distances.

- They come with a reversible mounting stud, that can be released from the tripod.

- The design of the top of the tripod allows a lot of flexibility in placing you lights etc as the stud can be clamped into the stand in a vertical or horizontal position. Most light stands only seem to allow vertical mounting.

- I am going to use these stands as backdrop holders as well, because they are robust. The horizontal mounting option will help with this as for small widths could be set up by just threading a pole through the horizontal mounts instead of mounting it on the vertical stud.

- I also use them for off camera flashes and due to their heavier build have no worries about them tipping over if lightly brushed against, unlike some stands I have used.

- Its possible to buy wheels to match them, so you can wheel them about a studio.

- The air release cushioning is very helpful. The stand extends quickly but glides down into itself more slowly, protecting equipment from damage. With the off camera flashes at the end of a shoot I can just release the clamps and let the sections glide down while I attend to the next stand, which makes me feel I am saving time. The stands are not slow to pack though, its just I am impatient :-)

I really recommend these. I am so pleased with mine. I shopped around a lot and found these the best value I could get for a more solid stand of a good height. For them to be of such high quality was a real bonus.

The Complete Guide to Professional Wedding Photography: Creating a More Profitable and Fulfilling Business
by Damien Lovegrove

2.0 out of 5 stars Damian has retired from weddings. This book needs updating., 9 July 2013
Saw a really interesting talk given by Mr Lovegrove earlier this year (2013). He told the class that he no longer shoots any weddings and has moved on to other photography areas.

I have not read this book so I cannot comment on the text, but I did look through the images. You can see that Damian has not kept up to date with modern wedding photography, or at least the book needs serious revamping. The images look dated and suffer from the 'soft focus' look from years back. I have not seen this sort of style among modern photographers, its just not how things are shot these days. I am sure some of his techniques could be incorporated into more modern styles, especially his great awareness of how light falls, but to be honest you would be better off first getting a more recent book or one with a wider variety of more recent 'looks' - or just check out some of the internet wedding photographer forums to find out what is current. I just don't think the images as shown in the book would sell any more as time has moved on and so apparently has Mr Lovegrove, perhaps in part because chose not move with current photo trends. I think the publisher is as much to blame as they should either update the edition or pull this from the shelves.

However if you get a chance to see him give a talk, its well worth going along as he is an interesting speaker.

The Phantom of the Opera: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (2004)
The Phantom of the Opera: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (2004)
Offered by Hatherley's

5.0 out of 5 stars Gerard Butler and the Cast give it thier all, 14 Jun. 2013
Recording seems fine. Plenty of material included. Interesting to compare this cast with the Michael Crawford original cast version but hard to say which is best as its a close call.

Wacom Intuos5 Pen and Touch Small Graphics Tablet
Wacom Intuos5 Pen and Touch Small Graphics Tablet

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 14 Jun. 2013
Very pleased with mine.

Being able to adapt the tablet movements and commands to the individual program you are using at that moment and while you swap between programs is so very useful.

I would far rather use this than a mouse even for everyday computing generally as I find it more accurate, easier to use and no repetitive strain issues as you can get with a mouse. It even works as a giant touchpad itself, but I prefer to use the pen. I also use it for Photoshop etc.

Quite expensive to buy, but this is my 3rd Wacom tablet - the other 2 have lasted over 10 years I think. One of them has finally worn out, so replacement in my experience has been very infrequent, which makes it a 'cheap' purchase when viewed over time.

I would not consider computing now without a graphics tablet - its so much more convenient in so many ways.

White Palace [DVD] [1991]
White Palace [DVD] [1991]
Dvd ~ Susan Sarandon

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent acting, good story, 14 Jun. 2013
This review is from: White Palace [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
Bought this copy as a gift for a friend as I really enjoyed my own copy. Good acting. Lots of questions about what people want from life and how much immediate society influences the choices and assumptions made by people.

Its a really nice love story.

The Mentalist - Season 4 [DVD] [2012]
The Mentalist - Season 4 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Simon Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Series is maturing very well, 14 Jun. 2013
One of those TV programs that started well right from the first season and has got even better.

Lots of depth in Season 4, more complexity, lots of character development. We see the hero getting bogged down in the complexities of his own making while trying to protect the innocent. The first and last episodes of this season try to pack a lot in, constrained by the running length of the program itself I guess and I wish they had a bit more time to manoeuvre with those to fill out the plot further, but thats a small quibble.

All the many episodes in between are excellent and I would be happy to recommend them to anyone who likes quirky, fun puzzles and who has a sense of playfulness.

The whole cast are excellent. I would recommend starting with series 1 and working through the whole set, but if you decide to start with this season I think you will still find it very engaging entertainment.

Whoever is doing the lighting effects on this series is having a lot of fun with the interplay of light and dark against the characters - look out for it.

Can't wait for the next season and will feel sad when the program eventually ends - heres hoping thats not for some while yet.

I Give It a Year [DVD] [2013]
I Give It a Year [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Rose Byrne

1.0 out of 5 stars Simon Bakers skills deserved a better film script, 14 Jun. 2013
I can only assume Simon Baker saw an initial script that changed a lot after signing his contract or that he kindly became involved in this film as a favour for a friend. I cannot imagine why else such a talented man would end up in this disappointing waste of time.

The other actors also act well but they are bogged down with dire characters and crass lines based on the premise that the more you swear or try to shock the less you need a decent punch line or indeed any decent line at all - a technique thats a resort of unimaginative and presumably desperate writers and directors. So much of this film is tedious and boring due to the weak script. I cant believe they so readily wasted their cast or indeed they wasted a plot which could have been so much more, had it been handled with any grace or skill at all by the writers/director.

5/5 for Baker for trying to do a good job in a bad place.

Leaves of Grass [DVD]
Leaves of Grass [DVD]

1.0 out of 5 stars Great cast trapped in a very poor film, 7 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Leaves of Grass [DVD]
Great cast, good acting. Edward Norton handles the twin brother roles very convincingly.

And now the plot :-(

Well I think they were aiming for the sort of film Fargo was (Desperate and not very bright people descend into disaster unexpectedly through foolish choices). Leaves of Grass however comes across as... well lets face it they lost the plot. They tried for half hearted comedy/romance then skewed off abruptly into trying to shock the audience with unexpected graphic violence. Unlike Fargo though, there is no audience belief in the desperation or foolishness of the characters - the motivation for what occurs in Fargo. Leaves of Grass characters are in fact promoted as being ultra intelligent and pretty laid back. A brutal murder is unexpectedly revealed to some of the innocent bystander characters and its met with the same indifference as being told tea will be 5 minutes late, even though the knowledge immediately implicates all of them in a murder in a death penalty state. Its just not convincing, nor is it successful as comedy in any form. Edward Nortons character keeps saying things like 'this is not real' which is what I as the audience was also thinking, but for far different reasons.

The plot has no inherent tension, so instead of laughing at comedy attempts or being shocked by sudden violence you just end up wondering at the incompetence of the directing/plot while the story unfolds and flaps weakly about in front of you. They tried for a romance that had no tension either so there was not even that subplot to fall back on. I am sure it all looked better on the screenwriters first draft, I certainly hope so or whoever bought it was nuts.

I started to watch this film, got bored after 25 minutes or so and decided to finish it the next night. The next night I had another try and eventually got so bored so stopped the machine so I never saw the very end which is not like me at all. I am actually going to put this film in the rubbish bin as it feels like ripping someone off if I give it to a charity shop to resell.

Yes, it was that bad.

What a waste of an excellent cast.

I bought it from SourceMediaUK via Amazon and it arrived with 'Rental copy' all across the cover, so just as well it was not bought to be a gift, what with the packaging and the plot!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7