Profile for Streetbard > Reviews

Content by Streetbard

Streetbard

Page: 1 | 2
Betron DNZ500 Earphones Headphones for iPhone, iPad, iPod(With Volume Control and Microphone)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Mar. 2017
These are really good quality and most importantly your music will sound great. They come in a case full of spare bits and bobs so you can get the right fit and look. Really good value

A Place of Greater Safety
A Place of Greater Safety
by Hilary Mantel

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern classic, 27 Dec. 2015
I was mildly reluctant to pick up such a long novel by a writer with whom I have had previous difficulties, and was therefore relieved to find that the novel did not feature many of the stylistic flourishes that, in my humble opinion, did more harm than good in Wolf Hall. I would go as far to say that this is beautifully written, and the almost 900 pages flew by, with very little drag.

Prior to reading this my knowledge of The French Revolution was limited to dates and some undergraduate drivel about the rise of Napoleon. I knew very little about the protagonists, their relationships or their politics.  Such is Mantel's mastery for storytelling that within 50 pages I was gripped by their lives and times... Within 100 I felt like we'd shared a womb.

Mantel's own sharp voice comes through in the narration, but she is sparing with this, and her real gift is undoubtedly for dialogue - so much of the action and the spirit of the time is revealed through people talking, and as a reader I felt that not a single note was misplaced. She is bold enough to have her characters contradict themselves in ways that only real people do, and whilst clearly based on meticulous research, her characters come across as living, organic creatures with whom one can empathise, disagree with and relate to - not mere academic biographies spouting revolutionary platitudes.

Camille Desmoulins is the standout for me - I'd love to know how much of this portrayal is drawn from the historical record and how much is Mantel's own creation - he is without doubt one of the most vividly drawn characters I have ever encountered. Relentlessly witty and acute, he is as much the narrator as Mantel.

I'm quite well read, and I cannot believe that this book is not talked about in more reverential tones. Perhaps classics take time to acquire such status.

You will finish this book and mourn for many reasons. It has gone straight into my top ten, and I know I will read it again; I highly recommend it to you.

Acme Designer Woolen Tablet Sleeve Pouch Skin Cover Protective Case Bag- iPad 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 1G 2G 3G 4G / Mini / Retina / Air - Upto 9.7

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and robust, 15 Oct. 2014
Looks great and is really well made with quality material. Robust enough to withstand the vagaries of British weather and the tube.

Ronhill Classic GT Trackster Running Pants - Large
Ronhill Classic GT Trackster Running Pants - Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Size guide, 22 Aug. 2014
I'm 6'2 and 35" waist. Went for large and they are ideal

The Pillars of the Earth
The Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

3.0 out of 5 stars No dragons, 21 Feb. 2014
This is a great example of historical fiction. It brings to life a time and place through vivid characters, a simple story, and architectural history (honestly). 12th century England was a time of great change as the legacy of the Norman conquest was consolidated and fought over. Much like the Civil War of the 17th Century, The Anarchy is often overlooked in favour of The Tudors and Victorians which is a shame in my opinion> This perhaps reflects our own society with its pre-occupation with celebrity and scandal, but is in no small part a function of the perceived remoteness of the individuals involved. This book provides a way into that world. Its quite a long book, but it was easy enough to read and I will probably read the sequel.

Towards The Light: The Story of the Struggles for Liberty and Rights that Made the Modern West
by A. C. Grayling

4.0 out of 5 stars All we have to see is that I don't belong to you and you don't belong to me (yeah yeah!), 21 Feb. 2014
This is a great book on a vital subject. Grayling brings to life the personal stories and sacrifices that have been made in the name of greater freedom, and in the process gives much-needed context to contemporary debates. Read this book in a weekend, and thank the accident of history that spared you the struggle for fundamental freedoms that too often we take for granted in the modern world

The Map That Changed the World: A Tale of Rocks, Ruin and Redemption
The Map That Changed the World: A Tale of Rocks, Ruin and Redemption
by Simon Winchester

4.0 out of 5 stars Geology is good... you might say it rocks, but that would be tedious, 21 Feb. 2014
This book mixes a fascinating biography with an introduction to fundamental geological concepts, and it does this successfully. I'm inclined to buy another book on the geology of the British Isles which you might argue renders Winchester's work both a success and a failure. I'm for the former.

Soul of the Age: The Life, Mind and World of William Shakespeare
Soul of the Age: The Life, Mind and World of William Shakespeare
by Jonathan Bate

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read, 21 Feb. 2014
Shakespeare's creative achievement has inspired, overwhelmed and stupified me since I first encountered him at school. This is the most ambitious attempt I've come across to define and understand his philosophy. His physical and rational worlds are explored in great depth as the author searches for clues as to what lay behind that great mind - as a collection of individual essays it is a stunning piece of detective work; taken in it's entirety, it is one of the best books I've ever read

Gravity's Rainbow (Vintage)
Gravity's Rainbow (Vintage)
by Thomas Pynchon

1.0 out of 5 stars The emperor has no clothes on (I think), 21 Feb. 2014
I am not proud of the fact that I have given one star to a piece of work that dominated one mans life for a decade, sitting as I am in my pants having achieved nothing myself of literary merit. But this is pony. Well the first seventy pages are. I couldn't go on after that. Faceless characters in cluttered paragraphs - or rather just one male character with different names during different digressions. Self indulgency can be interesting, but this has the feel of someone with too much time on their hands just writing sentence after sentence, and then too little time to edit. Read 'Slaughterhouse 5' instead. Or a leaflet on halitosis.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2016 5:20 AM GMT

The Crusades: The War for the Holy Land
The Crusades: The War for the Holy Land
by Thomas Asbridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 Mar. 2012
Thomas Asbridge has produced an incredible book which I have no doubt I will reference and re-read again and again. I read a lot of history books and this one is, in my opinion, the template for any work that seeks to appeal to both the serious academic and the lay reader. Too often, history books appeal to one and not the other and this needn't be the case. Here, each event and character is afforded a detailed and illuminating context, and not once throughout the nearly 700 pages did i feel that there was any repetition or over-analysis.

If you are hovering over the "Add to Basket" button, just hit the thing. You will not regret it.

Page: 1 | 2