Profile for DebB > Reviews

Content by DebB

DebB (Oxfordshire, England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Skechers Gowalk 2, Women Athletic Sandals, Black (Bbk), 7 UK (40 EU)
Skechers Gowalk 2, Women Athletic Sandals, Black (Bbk), 7 UK (40 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, brilliant, comfortable, light, washable..., 24 May 2015
These are, as everyone says, the most wonderfully comforable shoes around. These are unexciting enough to work with fairly formal wear and not be noticable (I have a pink pair for less formal events!). I have problems with tendonitis in one foot, and these don't aggravate in any way. Wonderful - but what do I wear when it rains, or when it's cold?

Captured: A Fallen Siren Prequel
Captured: A Fallen Siren Prequel

4.0 out of 5 stars Good set up for a series, good thriller, good character building - oh and lots of food!, 19 May 2015
My goodness, they eat well in this book. They take time for breakfast, they stop for lunch, they have evening meetings over dinner, he brings coffee and pastries… fascinating how some authors never mention people eating, while here we can have no worries that our heroine/hero are looking after themselves - they eat well and enjoy their food!

This is a straightforward thriller about a missing child, maybe linked to 2 other similar cases. Both main characters work for the FBI and are put to work together to solve, or not, the case before another child dies. That Zack is a werewolf is barely relevant - he can eat a lot(!) and at one point he uses his sense of smell to find someone. Similarly, Emma once uses her power to beguile to get important answers from someone, but the plot doesn’t rely on them having extra powers. The book would work as well without any supernatural elements - which is good I reckon. The underlying thriller works as a thriller, the supernatural elements are just extras.

I spotted the crucial whodunit link a bit early, but its difficult to bury your clues among red herrings, and it doesn’t shriek out of the page. I liked the restraint both showed over their attraction, they had important work to do and kept things professional - giving time for the simmer to get going towards a fast boil (as it were!)

A good set up for the full book 1 which I’m off to download right now.

I'm Travelling Alone
I'm Travelling Alone
by Samuel Bjork

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, intelligent, and extremely well constructed, 18 May 2015
This review is from: I'm Travelling Alone (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great book. An engrossing, intelligent, extremely well constructed whodunit up with the very best Skandi tradition. At the start, introduced as I was to a fairly large number of characters with unpronounceable names, whose connections to each other or the plot are at that stage unknown, I started to worry. Did I have to remember who was who? Where was where? But as the plot unfolds and the pace gathers, they all fall into place. Not always of course the place they actually belong – this is a thriller!
Although we do have a heroine cop (deeply troubled, with insights and analytical skills par excellence) she doesn’t hog the scene. There are interesting and capable colleagues, and the team dynamics are nicely done. There are some well observed children who come and go – but let’s not spoil!
There is an intrinsic problem with the genre, in terms of how many suspects to put up, how many red herrings, how many unlikely co-incidences… in my view the balance here is spot on – of course there must be some false leads, but here they are moderate and credible. No annoying co-incidences.

All in all a great book, with a pace that just gets faster and faster. It gets very edge of seat. I am delighted to see the film rights have been sold. I shall look out for it. Hear me, BBC4 controller?

Four Nights With the Duke
Four Nights With the Duke
by Eloisa James

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly readable, but the time line is a bit short, 21 April 2015
This is a perfectly readable bit of escapism, with the path of true love running pretty smoothly, with no heroic rescues called for... But I found it awfully hard to believe that everything, (proposal, marriage, those four nights, mystery solved, baddie routed, wrongs righted) all happens within about 10 days. I would have found this more plausible (I know, I know, the whole premise of regency romance isn't plausible, but within the genre, there are bits that should ring true) if the relationship, and marriage, had been given a bit more time.
I'm not one who harks back to Georgette Heyer and wanting total faith to the period, but Mia's declaration "And I want a divorce." as tho' you could pop along to the local court and get a quickie, no-fault divorce jarred a little.
However, Mia's floundering over how "decent" sexual desire was, and her lack of confidence in her body was well done, as were the reactions of most to physical disability. So as I said, this is fine, but it all happens too quickly for me.

Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse for Windows and Mac
Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse for Windows and Mac

2.0 out of 5 stars Re-rated after a fortnight - lessons to be learnt!, 31 Mar. 2015
Written 18 days after original review below:
I run Mac OSX 10.9.5 on a less than one year old Mac Mini; the box for this mouse says you need 10.8 or later so I thought all would be fine. When I first switched the mouse on my Bluetooth utility promptly found it, and initially things seemed to work. But the connection kept dropping, the extra functions of the mouse weren't reliable, and the navigation was jumpy - so I did some online research and discovered that to use the bluetooth connection you need Mac OS X 10.10 or later. So I switched to supplied Unifying Receiver. This was where things really started to go downhill. The receiver connected once in about 20 attempts on one day, but after a sleep period when my machine was asleep, the extra functions disappeared and the navigation again became tediously jumpy. Then I couldn't get it to re-connect at all. I contacted Logitech support and after several exchanges (all very prompt and helpful) I was sent a new Unifying Receiver. However that proved as reluctant to connect as the original one. My desk is metal framed and glass, my Mac sits about 18" from my keyboard, but even with the mouse sitting directly in front of the receiver it couldn't connect. So I'm giving up, gone back to my Mighty Mouse, and cannot, in all honesty, now give this a positive review. It has soaked up far too much of my time and left me annoyed and frustrated. Not a good experience.
I've left my original review below, as it carries information about functionality and comfort of use.

===================================================
Original review
Inside the box are the mouse, a wireless receiver, a micro-USB cable for charging, and some VERY minimal documentation that directs you to the Logitech web site for a more detailed documentation. I wouldn't have got going without visiting the website, but it's very straightforward. It also comes with a small disc, carefully sellotaped into a specially molded section of the packaging, that looks like a small battery but has no markings on it at all - I have no idea what it is, and it doesn't seem to be necessary for anything!

Logitech says you need MaxOS X 10.10/Windows 8 or later to use the Bluetooth Smart connection, but I run Mac OS X 10.9.5 and it seems to work just fine (edit - see above). To use the USB-port receiver you need Mac OS X 10.8/Windows 7 or later. To check compatibility for Windows it says to start the Device Manager and if the description includes "Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator" the computer supports MX Master. They don't give any hints for Mac users...

So, to using the thing. Charge it, or connect via the micro-USB cable, switch it on, select a channel (it can be paired to three separate devices), press "connect", go to Buetooth in System Preferences (Mac) or Settings/PC and Devices (Windows), and select `MXMaster". And that's it, mouse working!

And what does it do?

The scroll wheel on the top can be used slowly, to precision click through something, or fast to whizz down through pages. You can install extra Logitech Options software to, as they say, "enhance your scrolling experience"! This includes adjusting the scrolling speed

The "unique thumb wheel" on the side next to your thumb allows you to scroll horizontally across a web page - this too has extra facilities you can install with the Options software, probably more useful ones than come for the vertical scroll wheel, including adjust volume, control screen brightness, zoom in and out, swipe between full-screen apps...

The "gesture button" is right under you resting thumb tip. This needs extra software installed to do anything as far as I can see. They say "Install Logitech Options software to enable gestures for managing media, panning, zoom, and rotation, plus custom tasks." As the mouse arrives, this button does nothing.

Easy access back/forward buttons - these are next to the unique thumb wheel, and are for navigating web or document pages. On a Mac you need to install Logitech Options software to enable these buttons, but what it does do on my Mac is make all your open windows visible, allow you to navigate to the one you want, and make it the top-most active, window. Like the squeeze facility on the Mac Mighty Mouse. What it does with a Windows machine I can't say, but the implication is that you don't need to install extra software to get the basic functions.

It charges through a cable plugged into its nose, has a battery status 3-light indicator, from 3 green - 100%, through to 1 green - 33%, with 1 red meaning charge me now. (With more software you can get low charge warnings and battery status notifications)

It's a good mouse to rest the hand on, far more comfortable than my old Mac Mighty Mouse, moves the cursor fairly smoothly, but it is a bit jumpy when your trying to fine click on something, say the middle of a word in a document, but it's probably something one accustoms to.

So - easy to set up and it works mostly as you expect. It's a shame you have to download more software to get at all the functions - I'll see how I go and maybe get the download if I find I'm missing functions my old mouse offered.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2015 5:15 PM BST

His Other Life
His Other Life
by Beth Thomas

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh! A silly book, with an dense heroine playing at being married, 29 Mar. 2015
This review is from: His Other Life (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really didn't rate this. Are there people as dense as our heroine out there? Heaven help them if there are. Married three years and she knows nothing about her husband - the husband who tells her what to wear, won't have sex with her, discourages her from seeing her family, manages all the finances so she knows nothing, doesn't even let her chose what take away to get? The same husband whose mobile phone she obsessively tries to get hold of so she can see who his texts are from? The husband she seems to see only as a trophy, 'see what I managed to snag, nya-nya-na-na-nah", to parade in front of her sister?
The replacement love interest is blindingly obvious from the first time he hits the page, the "other life" is trite, at no point is there ever anything from husband's point of view, and our heroine's blundering around gets boring pretty quickly.
Not for me, this was a silly book, with a childishly stupid heroine, and no attempt to delve deeper into the underlying reasons behind hubby, or his family's, behaviour.

Prestige Pressure Cooker Spares Stainless Steel Gasket
Prestige Pressure Cooker Spares Stainless Steel Gasket

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job just fine, 24 Mar. 2015
I really should replace these more often. I've been struggling for a couple of years, using oil on the old gasket, and leaning on the lid while it comes up to pressure, adding more water to compensate for all the lost steam.... One new gasket and all I do is put the lid on and leave it be. These aren't that cheap, and don't last that long, which is why I struggle on when they start to leak, but it's silly really. A new gasket does the job.

NETGEAR WN3000RP-200UKS 300 Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Wi-Fi Booster)
NETGEAR WN3000RP-200UKS 300 Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Wi-Fi Booster)

1.0 out of 5 stars Proved impossible to set up even with lots of Netgear help, 24 Mar. 2015
Hmmm, I bought this for the obvious reason - to extend my router range. My old router doesn't have WPS, but the instructions cover this, so I tried, oh how I tried, to do what the instructions say. Eventually I contacted the helpline, and had 90 minutes (NINETY MINUTES!) with a perfectly pleasant guy in the Philippines where it was midnight, who eventually admitted defeat and told me to send it back, saying it must be faulty.
He said the problem was that I needed to add the virtual MAC addresses of my various wireless devices to the access list for my router - virtual MAC addresses are slightly different to the physical MAC addresses apparently. However, we were unable to get the range extender to tell us what the virtual MAC addresses were... and his back-of-envelope calculation, "just add 2 to the first pair of numbers" didn't work when the first pair are A8 - you can't go to A10, so is it then A0, or A2 or Awhat? That was when he gave up. I'm not totally convinced and am reconsidering. Have to say, the helpline did try very hard to get this sorted, so that was positive, even if they failed!.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2015 5:06 PM BST

NETGEAR WNR2000-200UKS N300 300 Mbps Wi-Fi Router
NETGEAR WNR2000-200UKS N300 300 Mbps Wi-Fi Router

3.0 out of 5 stars This is just a router - not a modem router, 24 Mar. 2015
Don't make the mistake I did, and think "I need a new router, so I'll order one." It wasn't until I sat down with the instruction book, and read the first step - "unplug your modem" that I realised what I need is a modem-router, and not what this is, a plain router. So it's gone back and I'm thinking again.
A silly mistake, but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking of my modem-router as a router...

Town & Country TGL 203 Ladies Triple Value Pack MEDIUM Gloves
Town & Country TGL 203 Ladies Triple Value Pack MEDIUM Gloves

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value cotton gloves that wear well, 19 Mar. 2015
For the price these are excellent value. They are surprisingly long lasting, suitable for work around the house and garage, and fit my 9cm diameter (stretched) palm hands just fine.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20