Profile for DebB > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Prestige Pressure Cooker Spares Stainless Steel Gasket
Prestige Pressure Cooker Spares Stainless Steel Gasket

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job just fine, 24 Mar. 2015
I really should replace these more often. I've been struggling for a couple of years, using oil on the old gasket, and leaning on the lid while it comes up to pressure, adding more water to compensate for all the lost steam.... One new gasket and all I do is put the lid on and leave it be. These aren't that cheap, and don't last that long, which is why I struggle on when they start to leak, but it's silly really. A new gasket does the job.

NETGEAR WN3000RP-200UKS 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender
NETGEAR WN3000RP-200UKS 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender

1.0 out of 5 stars Proved impossible to set up even with lots of Netgear help, 24 Mar. 2015
Hmmm, I bought this for the obvious reason - to extend my router range. My old router doesn't have WPS, but the instructions cover this, so I tried, oh how I tried, to do what the instructions say. Eventually I contacted the helpline, and had 90 minutes (NINETY MINUTES!) with a perfectly pleasant guy in the Philippines where it was midnight, who eventually admitted defeat and told me to send it back, saying it must be faulty.
He said the problem was that I needed to add the virtual MAC addresses of my various wireless devices to the access list for my router - virtual MAC addresses are slightly different to the physical MAC addresses apparently. However, we were unable to get the range extender to tell us what the virtual MAC addresses were... and his back-of-envelope calculation, "just add 2 to the first pair of numbers" didn't work when the first pair are A8 - you can't go to A10, so is it then A0, or A2 or Awhat? That was when he gave up. I'm not totally convinced and am reconsidering. Have to say, the helpline did try very hard to get this sorted, so that was positive, even if they failed!.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2015 3:41 AM GMT

NETGEAR WNR2000-200UKS N300 300 Mbps Wi-Fi Router
NETGEAR WNR2000-200UKS N300 300 Mbps Wi-Fi Router

3.0 out of 5 stars This is just a router - not a modem router, 24 Mar. 2015
Don't make the mistake I did, and think "I need a new router, so I'll order one." It wasn't until I sat down with the instruction book, and read the first step - "unplug your modem" that I realised what I need is a modem-router, and not what this is, a plain router. So it's gone back and I'm thinking again.
A silly mistake, but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking of my modem-router as a router...

Town & Country TGL 203 Ladies Triple Value Pack MEDIUM Gloves
Town & Country TGL 203 Ladies Triple Value Pack MEDIUM Gloves

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value cotton gloves that wear well, 19 Mar. 2015
For the price these are excellent value. They are surprisingly long lasting, suitable for work around the house and garage, and fit my 9cm diameter (stretched) palm hands just fine.

Rhinowares Hand Coffee Grinder
Rhinowares Hand Coffee Grinder

4.0 out of 5 stars An effective, quality coffee grinder that works well, 17 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Design:
The handle you turn to grind the coffee has to be removed before you can take the top off to put beans into the grinder, and isn't an integral part of the lid, which seemed odd to me. This means that if you pick or try to hold the whole thing up by the handle the the body drops off with something of a clatter - I did it twice in the first few minutes of using it! The grinder doesn't really want to stand up with its handle on, as the weight of the handle almost unbalances it. It falls over at the slightest provocation, so you'll probably end up keeping the handle and body separate when you're not using it.
The body comprises three "bits" - the lid for the bean hopper, the bean hopper and grinder, and the bottom pot that holds the ground coffee. These all push-fit together, and the fit is quite snug so if you had the slightest dent in the stainless, you'd probably find it wouldn't go together.

Coffee grinding:
Does an excellent job. It's easy to adjust the coarseness of the grind by turning a knurled knob on the base of the grinding mechanism clockwise, to increase fineness, or anticlockwise to increase coarseness. There aren't any markings, so if you change the setting to, say, grind some coarse coffee for a cafetiere, you might then struggle to rediscover that perfect setting you found last time that made the perfect expresso.
A full hopper of beans produces about 4 packed, rounded standard coffee scoops of filter fine coffee, but that takes quite a lot of grinding. You're holding the grinder in one hand, and winding away with the other, and while it's a perfectly competent and smooth process, I found my arms getting weary before the end.

I wouldn't use this to grind coffee and instantly make the drink - it takes too long for busy lives used to the convenience of pod machines or just scooping out of a pack of already ground. But at weekends when you have the time to indulge, this makes the kitchen smell wonderful, and freshly ground coffee makes a noticeably good cup of coffee.

Shame it doesn't come with any instructions - yes it's pretty obvious, but is it dishwasher safe for example? The box directs you to the company's website for use instructions and videos (not that I could find any videos when I went to look), but I'd have appreciated a basic guide in the box. One thing I have learnt from the website is that the ceramic grinders are fragile and will break if dropped, so be careful with them!

Potent Pleasures (Pleasures Trilogy Book 1)
Potent Pleasures (Pleasures Trilogy Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Abusive unpleasant hero and overforgiving heroine - not enjoyable, 16 Mar. 2015
SPOILERS THROUGHOUT THIS REVIEW

Not a nice book - hero seduces 17 year-old heroine, takes her virginity, then disappears. She decides he’s the only one for her, despie not having a clue who he is, and refuses to consider marrying anybody else. When he finally reappears, he denies all knowledge of ever meeting her, having, somewhat conveniently, an identical twin brother on whom he places the blame. When he discovers she’s not a virgin on their wedding night he calls her all manner of dreadful things and behaves in a totally appalling way. She’s banished to Scotland (or somewhere - can’t remember now), and is made to travel with the servants. When they arrive, waddya know? He turns on the charm and she falls back into his bed and forgives all.
He then goes off the France, or was it Italy, on some plot pretext, leaving her pregnant (and him not knowing). Twin brother turns up , heroine faints, brother is nice to her and society decides she’s having an affair with brother. She’s shunned by one and all (quite where her family are during this time I don't recall, but I dont remember her father the duke standing up for her). Hero returns, hears the scandal, reads the gossip and believes it all. He once again accuses her of being a whore, says he’ll divorce her, and generally behaves like an utter s**t. She bolts, he confronts his brother who tells him he’s being an ass, and natually he believes his brother where he didn’t believe his wife. He rushes off, saves the day by telling her how to give birth (what a man!!), and once again, she goes all gooey eyed and forgives him. The character destroying scandal is brushed aside and all is sweetness and light.
Nope - I do not enjoy reading about women tolerating abuse, always being the one to forgive and forget, always being the one to excuse the inexcusable...

Broken Soul: A Jane Yellowrock Novel
Broken Soul: A Jane Yellowrock Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, another fine installment, 16 Feb. 2015
Good - I galloped through this at breakneck speed, along with the plot that belts along at the same pace, so really need to take a breather and read it again with the care it deserves, in fact I'm wondering whether to treat myself to starting from the beginning with audio books - they make you focus on every word written, with no sneaky peaks ahead or skipping of bits - hmmm, I shall ponder.

This has some major revelations, something nasty in the woodshed (well cellar actually, but a quote's a quote), and more humour than some of the mid-series books. Beast continues to surprise, the Younger brothers do their stuff, there are some "What the...?" moments - there's one involving Jane, a shower and Leo that really surprised me, and some sufficiently powerful and unpleasant baddies to test even Leo and his crew. Soul's role in things increases, Brute (the werewolf from earlier books) turns up, there's time taken out for a little romance, and then there's much mayhem from which not everyone we have grown to know emerges unscathed. Handy to be a vampire who can recover from just about any amount of damage, or to be a non-vampire with access to a vampire who can heal just about any amount of damage (altho' not everything, it turns out).

Phew - and the Europeans still haven't arrived! Roll on the next. Anyone got any idea how long a series Ms Hunter intends here? This is, what, number 9, and the next is out in April (yay!).

Simple Solution Stain and Odour Remover for Hardfloors - 750 ml
Simple Solution Stain and Odour Remover for Hardfloors - 750 ml
Offered by Pink Jellyfish

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, as far as this human's nose can tell, and seems to have stopped the peeing on the floor, 16 Feb. 2015
This has worked fine (according to my dull human nose) on an old stone floor, and significantly reduced odour from an old wood floor, all without marking the surfaces in any way. My wood floor is cross laid over an even older wood floor, and there's clearly pee down in the older floor which I can't get at, but the smell is vastly improved. The spray itself has a sweet, slightly faux-floral scent which I don't particularly like, but it fades over a few days, and is waaay better that cat pee!
My cat has stopped peeing in the areas I've treated, and the treatment, plus a new litter tray, seems to have broken the cycle she'd got into of using the kitchen floor as a toilet . She got within a cat's whisker of having to go (cat pee and poo on the kitchen floor being an absolute no-no for me), but we've had no "accidents" for about 3 weeks now, so she's still here. Here's hoping!

Catit Style Hooded Cat Pan/ Litter Tray/ Litter Box Grey 57 x 46 x 39 cm
Catit Style Hooded Cat Pan/ Litter Tray/ Litter Box Grey 57 x 46 x 39 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, big tray that does the job, 16 Feb. 2015
Sturdy, the lid locks on so you can carry the whole thing by the carrying handle. My cat won't use it with the lid shut, and tends to stand inside, bum facing out and then jets pee with out of the opening, so I have another, big tray immediately outside to catch that. Ho hum, it works, my floors are no longer wet every day, and she at least only pees out in one direction now, as opposed to all directions before, so this has been a success. Who knew lady cats could jet out pee a distance of 40cm? Oh, and to get rid of cat pee smell - I found Simple Solution works okay, (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simple-Solution-Stain-Odour-Remover/dp/B004GBZ1TO/ref=pd_cp_petsupplies_3).
Update: After weeks of use with the flap up, one day I decided to leave it down, and see what happened... With nary a blink she transitioned to using it as it was intended, and over 90% of everything is now contained, so this is still proving a success.

The Visitors
The Visitors
by Rebecca Mascull

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing!, 24 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Visitors (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I struggled to get going with this - I found the premise of a child remembering her birth difficult - but I did get going eventually. The struggle Liza has to overcome her blindness and deafness is well written, as is her path from essentially a little animal to a woman who can function in society.

The patience it must take to get a deaf-blind-mute child to comprehend that shapes on her hand mean something, is phenomenal, and the author successfully gets across Liza’s desperate need to learn, to communicate, to understand, to be good for her beloved Father, to stop her ‘blindisms’…

Very good.