Profile for DebB > Reviews

(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse for Windows and Mac
Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse for Windows and Mac

2.0 out of 5 stars Re-rated after a fortnight - lessons to be learnt!, 31 Mar. 2015
Written 18 days after original review below:
I run Mac OSX 10.9.5 on a less than one year old Mac Mini. When I first switched the mouse on my Bluetooth utility promptly found it, despite my operating system being "too old", and initially things seemed to work. But the connection kept dropping, the extra functions of the mouse weren't reliable, and the navigation was jumpy - so I did some online research and decided to use the supplied Unifying Receiver instead. This was where things really started to go downhill. The receiver connected once in about 20 attempts on one day, but after a sleep period when my machine was asleep, the extra functions disappeared and the navigation again became tediously jumpy. Then I couldn't get it to re-connect at all. I contacted Logitech support and after several exchanges (all very prompt and helpful) I was sent a new Unifying Receiver. However that proved as reluctant to connect as the original one. My desk is metal framed and glass, my Mac sits about 18" from my keyboard, but even with the mouse sitting directly in front of the receiver it couldn't connect. So I'm giving up, gone back to my Mighty Mouse, and cannot, in all honesty, now give this a positive review. It has soaked up far too much of my time and left me annoyed and frustrated. Not a good experience.
I've left my original review below, as it carries information about functionality and comfort of use.

===================================================
Original review
Inside the box are the mouse, a wireless receiver, a micro-USB cable for charging, and some VERY minimal documentation that directs you to the Logitech web site for a more detailed documentation. I wouldn't have got going without visiting the website, but it's very straightforward. It also comes with a small disc, carefully sellotaped into a specially molded section of the packaging, that looks like a small battery but has no markings on it at all - I have no idea what it is, and it doesn't seem to be necessary for anything!

Logitech says you need MaxOS X 10.10/Windows 8 or later to use the Bluetooth Smart connection, but I run Mac OS X 10.9.5 and it seems to work just fine (edit - see above). To use the USB-port receiver you need Mac OS X 10.8/Windows 7 or later. To check compatibility for Windows it says to start the Device Manager and if the description includes "Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator" the computer supports MX Master. They don't give any hints for Mac users...

So, to using the thing. Charge it, or connect via the micro-USB cable, switch it on, select a channel (it can be paired to three separate devices), press "connect", go to Buetooth in System Preferences (Mac) or Settings/PC and Devices (Windows), and select `MXMaster". And that's it, mouse working!

And what does it do?

The scroll wheel on the top can be used slowly, to precision click through something, or fast to whizz down through pages. You can install extra Logitech Options software to, as they say, "enhance your scrolling experience"! This includes adjusting the scrolling speed

The "unique thumb wheel" on the side next to your thumb allows you to scroll horizontally across a web page - this too has extra facilities you can install with the Options software, probably more useful ones than come for the vertical scroll wheel, including adjust volume, control screen brightness, zoom in and out, swipe between full-screen apps...

The "gesture button" is right under you resting thumb tip. This needs extra software installed to do anything as far as I can see. They say "Install Logitech Options software to enable gestures for managing media, panning, zoom, and rotation, plus custom tasks." As the mouse arrives, this button does nothing.

Easy access back/forward buttons - these are next to the unique thumb wheel, and are for navigating web or document pages. On a Mac you need to install Logitech Options software to enable these buttons, but what it does do on my Mac is make all your open windows visible, allow you to navigate to the one you want, and make it the top-most active, window. Like the squeeze facility on the Mac Mighty Mouse. What it does with a Windows machine I can't say, but the implication is that you don't need to install extra software to get the basic functions.

It charges through a cable plugged into its nose, has a battery status 3-light indicator, from 3 green - 100%, through to 1 green - 33%, with 1 red meaning charge me now. (With more software you can get low charge warnings and battery status notifications)

It's a good mouse to rest the hand on, far more comfortable than my old Mac Mighty Mouse, moves the cursor fairly smoothly, but it is a bit jumpy when your trying to fine click on something, say the middle of a word in a document, but it's probably something one accustoms to.

So - easy to set up and it works mostly as you expect. It's a shame you have to download more software to get at all the functions - I'll see how I go and maybe get the download if I find I'm missing functions my old mouse offered.

His Other Life
His Other Life
by Beth Thomas

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh! A silly book, with an dense heroine playing at being married, 29 Mar. 2015
This review is from: His Other Life (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really didn't rate this. Are there people as dense as our heroine out there? Heaven help them if there are. Married three years and she knows nothing about her husband - the husband who tells her what to wear, won't have sex with her, discourages her from seeing her family, manages all the finances so she knows nothing, doesn't even let her chose what take away to get? The same husband whose mobile phone she obsessively tries to get hold of so she can see who his texts are from? The husband she seems to see only as a trophy, 'see what I managed to snag, nya-nya-na-na-nah", to parade in front of her sister?
The replacement love interest is blindingly obvious from the first time he hits the page, the "other life" is trite, at no point is there ever anything from husband's point of view, and our heroine's blundering around gets boring pretty quickly.
Not for me, this was a silly book, with a childishly stupid heroine, and no attempt to delve deeper into the underlying reasons behind hubby, or his family's, behaviour.

Prestige Pressure Cooker Spares Stainless Steel Gasket
Prestige Pressure Cooker Spares Stainless Steel Gasket

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job just fine, 24 Mar. 2015
I really should replace these more often. I've been struggling for a couple of years, using oil on the old gasket, and leaning on the lid while it comes up to pressure, adding more water to compensate for all the lost steam.... One new gasket and all I do is put the lid on and leave it be. These aren't that cheap, and don't last that long, which is why I struggle on when they start to leak, but it's silly really. A new gasket does the job.

NETGEAR WN3000RP-200UKS 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender
NETGEAR WN3000RP-200UKS 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender

1.0 out of 5 stars Proved impossible to set up even with lots of Netgear help, 24 Mar. 2015
Hmmm, I bought this for the obvious reason - to extend my router range. My old router doesn't have WPS, but the instructions cover this, so I tried, oh how I tried, to do what the instructions say. Eventually I contacted the helpline, and had 90 minutes (NINETY MINUTES!) with a perfectly pleasant guy in the Philippines where it was midnight, who eventually admitted defeat and told me to send it back, saying it must be faulty.
He said the problem was that I needed to add the virtual MAC addresses of my various wireless devices to the access list for my router - virtual MAC addresses are slightly different to the physical MAC addresses apparently. However, we were unable to get the range extender to tell us what the virtual MAC addresses were... and his back-of-envelope calculation, "just add 2 to the first pair of numbers" didn't work when the first pair are A8 - you can't go to A10, so is it then A0, or A2 or Awhat? That was when he gave up. I'm not totally convinced and am reconsidering. Have to say, the helpline did try very hard to get this sorted, so that was positive, even if they failed!.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2015 3:41 AM GMT

NETGEAR WNR2000-200UKS N300 300 Mbps Wi-Fi Router
NETGEAR WNR2000-200UKS N300 300 Mbps Wi-Fi Router

3.0 out of 5 stars This is just a router - not a modem router, 24 Mar. 2015
Don't make the mistake I did, and think "I need a new router, so I'll order one." It wasn't until I sat down with the instruction book, and read the first step - "unplug your modem" that I realised what I need is a modem-router, and not what this is, a plain router. So it's gone back and I'm thinking again.
A silly mistake, but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking of my modem-router as a router...

Town & Country TGL 203 Ladies Triple Value Pack MEDIUM Gloves
Town & Country TGL 203 Ladies Triple Value Pack MEDIUM Gloves

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value cotton gloves that wear well, 19 Mar. 2015
For the price these are excellent value. They are surprisingly long lasting, suitable for work around the house and garage, and fit my 9cm diameter (stretched) palm hands just fine.

Rhinowares Hand Coffee Grinder
Rhinowares Hand Coffee Grinder

4.0 out of 5 stars An effective, quality coffee grinder that works well, 17 Mar. 2015
Design:
The handle you turn to grind the coffee has to be removed before you can take the top off to put beans into the grinder, and isn't an integral part of the lid, which seemed odd to me. This means that if you pick or try to hold the whole thing up by the handle the the body drops off with something of a clatter - I did it twice in the first few minutes of using it! The grinder doesn't really want to stand up with its handle on, as the weight of the handle almost unbalances it. It falls over at the slightest provocation, so you'll probably end up keeping the handle and body separate when you're not using it.
The body comprises three "bits" - the lid for the bean hopper, the bean hopper and grinder, and the bottom pot that holds the ground coffee. These all push-fit together, and the fit is quite snug so if you had the slightest dent in the stainless, you'd probably find it wouldn't go together.

Coffee grinding:
Does an excellent job. It's easy to adjust the coarseness of the grind by turning a knurled knob on the base of the grinding mechanism clockwise, to increase fineness, or anticlockwise to increase coarseness. There aren't any markings, so if you change the setting to, say, grind some coarse coffee for a cafetiere, you might then struggle to rediscover that perfect setting you found last time that made the perfect expresso.
A full hopper of beans produces about 4 packed, rounded standard coffee scoops of filter fine coffee, but that takes quite a lot of grinding. You're holding the grinder in one hand, and winding away with the other, and while it's a perfectly competent and smooth process, I found my arms getting weary before the end.

I wouldn't use this to grind coffee and instantly make the drink - it takes too long for busy lives used to the convenience of pod machines or just scooping out of a pack of already ground. But at weekends when you have the time to indulge, this makes the kitchen smell wonderful, and freshly ground coffee makes a noticeably good cup of coffee.

Shame it doesn't come with any instructions - yes it's pretty obvious, but is it dishwasher safe for example? The box directs you to the company's website for use instructions and videos (not that I could find any videos when I went to look), but I'd have appreciated a basic guide in the box. One thing I have learnt from the website is that the ceramic grinders are fragile and will break if dropped, so be careful with them!

Potent Pleasures (Pleasures Trilogy Book 1)
Potent Pleasures (Pleasures Trilogy Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Abusive unpleasant hero and overforgiving heroine - not enjoyable, 16 Mar. 2015
SPOILERS THROUGHOUT THIS REVIEW

Not a nice book - hero seduces 17 year-old heroine, takes her virginity, then disappears. She decides he’s the only one for her, despie not having a clue who he is, and refuses to consider marrying anybody else. When he finally reappears, he denies all knowledge of ever meeting her, having, somewhat conveniently, an identical twin brother on whom he places the blame. When he discovers she’s not a virgin on their wedding night he calls her all manner of dreadful things and behaves in a totally appalling way. She’s banished to Scotland (or somewhere - can’t remember now), and is made to travel with the servants. When they arrive, waddya know? He turns on the charm and she falls back into his bed and forgives all.
He then goes off the France, or was it Italy, on some plot pretext, leaving her pregnant (and him not knowing). Twin brother turns up , heroine faints, brother is nice to her and society decides she’s having an affair with brother. She’s shunned by one and all (quite where her family are during this time I don't recall, but I dont remember her father the duke standing up for her). Hero returns, hears the scandal, reads the gossip and believes it all. He once again accuses her of being a whore, says he’ll divorce her, and generally behaves like an utter s**t. She bolts, he confronts his brother who tells him he’s being an ass, and natually he believes his brother where he didn’t believe his wife. He rushes off, saves the day by telling her how to give birth (what a man!!), and once again, she goes all gooey eyed and forgives him. The character destroying scandal is brushed aside and all is sweetness and light.
Nope - I do not enjoy reading about women tolerating abuse, always being the one to forgive and forget, always being the one to excuse the inexcusable...

Broken Soul: A Jane Yellowrock Novel
Broken Soul: A Jane Yellowrock Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, another fine installment, 16 Feb. 2015
Good - I galloped through this at breakneck speed, along with the plot that belts along at the same pace, so really need to take a breather and read it again with the care it deserves, in fact I'm wondering whether to treat myself to starting from the beginning with audio books - they make you focus on every word written, with no sneaky peaks ahead or skipping of bits - hmmm, I shall ponder.

This has some major revelations, something nasty in the woodshed (well cellar actually, but a quote's a quote), and more humour than some of the mid-series books. Beast continues to surprise, the Younger brothers do their stuff, there are some "What the...?" moments - there's one involving Jane, a shower and Leo that really surprised me, and some sufficiently powerful and unpleasant baddies to test even Leo and his crew. Soul's role in things increases, Brute (the werewolf from earlier books) turns up, there's time taken out for a little romance, and then there's much mayhem from which not everyone we have grown to know emerges unscathed. Handy to be a vampire who can recover from just about any amount of damage, or to be a non-vampire with access to a vampire who can heal just about any amount of damage (altho' not everything, it turns out).

Phew - and the Europeans still haven't arrived! Roll on the next. Anyone got any idea how long a series Ms Hunter intends here? This is, what, number 9, and the next is out in April (yay!).

Simple Solution Stain and Odour Remover for Hardfloors - 750 ml
Simple Solution Stain and Odour Remover for Hardfloors - 750 ml
Offered by Cambridge Pet Store

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, as far as this human's nose can tell, and seems to have stopped the peeing on the floor, 16 Feb. 2015
This has worked fine (according to my dull human nose) on an old stone floor, and significantly reduced odour from an old wood floor, all without marking the surfaces in any way. My wood floor is cross laid over an even older wood floor, and there's clearly pee down in the older floor which I can't get at, but the smell is vastly improved. The spray itself has a sweet, slightly faux-floral scent which I don't particularly like, but it fades over a few days, and is waaay better that cat pee!
My cat has stopped peeing in the areas I've treated, and the treatment, plus a new litter tray, seems to have broken the cycle she'd got into of using the kitchen floor as a toilet . She got within a cat's whisker of having to go (cat pee and poo on the kitchen floor being an absolute no-no for me), but we've had no "accidents" for about 3 weeks now, so she's still here. Here's hoping!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20