Profile for DebB > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Skylight
Skylight
by Kelly Simmons

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written, holds the interest, but I wanted to know more, 9 July 2016
This review is from: Skylight (Paperback)
As the blurb says, Claire has a past - a past the reader slowly learns about as the book progresses, a past that may be the cause of all her problems… or not!

The book is entirely from Claire’s perspective, so if she has no idea what’s going on, neither do you. You do, though, get all her internal musings and panics, and you see the other characters through her eyes and opinions: her husband, her girls, and her kidnapper being the main players. Something from her husband’s viewpoint would have added depth and understanding.

What I didn’t get was what was achieved by the kidnapping, and by who? What was the fall out? The book ends with a series of one page chapters,and I kept turning, hoping for a bit more insight. Maybe I didn’t read with enough care, but the end left me feeling slightly disappointed.

However, I read this easily and with interest, it doesn’t flag, Claire is a flawed but understandable heroine. The locations are well visualised, the characters well drawn, but I ended knowing essentially nothing more about anyone othr than Claire than I did at the start

SILVER FOLDING CAR SUN WINDSCREEN SHADE REFLECTOR
SILVER FOLDING CAR SUN WINDSCREEN SHADE REFLECTOR
Offered by Extreme Auto Accessories

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job just fine, 5 July 2016
Does the job, doens't need the suction cups to stay up on my old Terrano, just tucks behind the sun visors.

Nevernight
Nevernight
by Jay Kristoff

4.0 out of 5 stars Gutsy heroine, but violent with lots of death, 5 July 2016
This review is from: Nevernight (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a violent book with a horribly high body count. It starts with a hanging, proceeds swiftly to the intended murder of a child, and ends, many pages and deaths later, with the slaughter the caveat emptor, or prologue, telegraphs. In between is a mix of horror and Hogwarts, complete with various masters and students, although here the masters teach their students how to murder, with death or mutilation being the punishment for failure. The students are in a terrible competition with each other - only four will achieve the coveted status of Blade, so friendships are mostly conditional.
I found the footnotes (that vanish in the final quarter) annoying. I'm a fast reader, so usually miss the number that denotes what the footnote's referring to, so when I get to the end of a page and see the footnote I have to interrupt my reading flow to search back for the damned number... Some of the footnotes were too long, some aimed for a Terry Pratchett deadpan humour (and sometimes succeeded), but they spoilt the flow for me and I started to ignore them. There are also an awful lot of them at the beginning, in a small font my aging eyes strugggled with. If it needs saying, get it into the main text I say...
I liked Mia's skill, liked Mister Kindly - a sad naming that reflected the life of the child when he was named, and liked that not every thing is explained or resolved at the end. The blood pool was a neat idea, and fairly horrible in prospect,.
Be aware that this is a trilogy, but with no cliff hanging ending to enrage the reader. It's told in retrospect, with some time flips at the beginning to allow the main story and back story to progress together, with text in italics and plain type to separate. But, this is engaging, Mia is a tough cookie with a very determined focus, but she also cares for her fellow students and mostly has a strong sense of what's right. That said, she is also responsible for a vast number of deaths, so she isn't THAT nice! It rattles along at a fair pace that rarely lets up, manages to hide the baddie (from me at least) and ends with things well set for a continuation. But it does, I said at the outset, have a horribly high, and fairly graphic, body count.

Bootea Little Oats
Bootea Little Oats

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh!, 12 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Bootea Little Oats (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very underwhelming! Oats, milk powder and sweetener make up 94% of the ingredients, whey protein another 3%, and the remaining super-bits vanish into nothingness. This makes a bland, sweet, too-smooth porridge. My husband's only comment was "baby food".
I can see nothing to recommend this over ordinary oats other than maybe the speed of making - although it doesn't takes much longer to make ordinary porridge in the microwave. I've never tried Ready Brek, but I imagine this is pretty similar...

Magic Shifts: A Kate Daniels Novel
Magic Shifts: A Kate Daniels Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fine installment - well worth the (now reduced) pennies, 31 May 2016
I held off buying this until the price came down - a struggle I'll admit, but over £9 for an e-book? So finally I have it, and it's excellent as ever. Kate isn't alone anymore - she's got an ever increasing group around her who are there for her. The realtionship between her and Curran is lovely without descending into trite lovums, and the Pack dynamics are well presented. There's a good story line that seriously held my attention, Daddy continues with his meddling - altho now I think about it was there an untied end there? Why was he so anti Kate doing a particulat thing - was that ever resolved? I'll have to read it again - no hardship!

There's maybe the odd few pages of info dump, but when you've done the amount of research Andrews clearly has, you must want to use as much as you can get away with.

This series is still strong, still engaging, still developing - all good.

Xootz Girl's Quad Adjustable and Padded Roller Skates - Pink/Purple, Size 13 - 3
Offered by It's All Fun & Games

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - adjustable sizing, so great for siblings to share, 31 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These roller boots are fantastic. My daughters love them! We were given a free pair of these boots in return for an honest review and my daughters were so excited about receiving them. When they arrived they were over the moon and couldn't wait to get them on!
My daughters are 5 and 7 years old and because the boots are adjustable between sizes 13 and 3, they fit them both and can be 'shared'.... Great but the only down side were the arguments about who would wear them 1st and who had them on for the longest! Typical!!
The boots themselves are attractive and well made, they seem solid and I think will last a long time, standing up to lots of rough and tumble. The boots are easy to adjust in size and easy to get on and off. They appear nice and safe, strapping on tightly and security around the foot and ankle. I would recommend safety wear.... Hat, knee pads etc! The girls have been practising on the lawn but are all over the place and constantly picking themselves up off the floor.
Bottom line I would highly recommend these roller boots to anyone wishing to buy a young girl their 1st pair of roller boots.... Hours of fun and lots of giggles will follow!

Post-it Designer Combi Dispenser With 12 Pads Pop-up Notes  76x76mm & 1x25mm Index Sample Pack
Post-it Designer Combi Dispenser With 12 Pads Pop-up Notes 76x76mm & 1x25mm Index Sample Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, easily dispensed, good range of colours, 20 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A clever dispensing system means you can easily slide off just one of either the purple, green, yellow, blue or red coloured arrows, or one of the highlighter-fluorescent yellow, pink, green or orange tabs. Comes with a 15cm ruler (no imperial inches I’m afraid), and hole punched for a time manager. Enough to keep me going to a fair while, so a useful bit of kit to have around the desk.

Skechers Go Walk Americana, Womens Trainers, Natural/Navy, 7 UK / 40 EU
Skechers Go Walk Americana, Womens Trainers, Natural/Navy, 7 UK / 40 EU
Offered by Charles Clinkard

5.0 out of 5 stars Look lovely, but all the reviews are right - they are large for their quoted size, 17 May 2016
I love the material of these - Sketchers colours are a bit bland, so these stripes loook good. However, even though I have two other pairs of Sketchers and thought I had their sizing sussed, these were too big - I need a half size down which they don't do. A shame.

No Accounting for Magic
No Accounting for Magic

4.0 out of 5 stars Two well written, readable stories..., 8 May 2016
This is two stories, one on the short side, one longer. Both are easy to read and engaging, the first somewhat predicable from its synopsis, but the path from start to end was well done. The second is more involving, with an interesting concept underlying it. I liked that the attraction wasn’t of the instant ‘wham-bam’ nature, but was given a (short!) time to settle in. I had to stop reading the second story half way through, and was keen to get back to see what was what, and how matters resolved, altho’ again, the romantic element is a given.

This is a sexy book, with explicit, straight, hetero sex that’s well written, with none of the clichés that can crop up in such scenes. There is some non-consensual stuff in the second story, the synopsis is clear that this is a sexual haunting, so there’s the clue… It’s not unpleasant, not nasty, its recipients rather enjoy themselves, but it’s there.

A grand cover by the way - he’s a depiction of Samir from the first story, and clearly drawn by someone who’s actually read the story.

Shadowed Blade (Colbana Files Series)
Shadowed Blade (Colbana Files Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - overall storyline progresses well, and Kit's back to her totally capable self, 28 April 2016
This starts with a death, a gentle death surprisingly for these books, and not of anyone we know, just someone who gets to deliver the warning…

Then it’s straight into a tie in to the recent novella Misery’s Way, with a brief meet with Frankie and her here nameless sidekick (assistant, helper, minder?? I’ve no idea what he is really) - reading the novella will certainly help with understanding this bit of the book.

Then the book takes off. Kit is working - altho’ doing what isn’t really clear, looking for something or someone on searches that really don’t go well. For quite a while it’s not at all clear what specifically is happening, and things seem a bit disjointed - but on reflection what’s happening is disjointed and initially unconnected. Justin has an overall bad time of everything, Damon and co are major players, together with someone I think is a newcomer, don't remember his name from earlier books, who has some seriously spooky abilities; luckily he’s on Kit’s side. The baddie, when he finally emerges, is a major heavyweight - nasty!

There’s a very unexpected blast from Kit’s past that seriously opens up some new potential directions for the plot lines, with a surprising revelation of two.

What’s nice is that Kit is back to strength, capable, in charge, and secure in her position with Damon. Not many authors have the courage to put their heroines through what Kit’s been through, but it’s good she’s emerged from all the earlier nastiness.

This is good, it’s a big book, took me longer than I expected to read, and moves Kit and co nicely along, with lots to come. Recommended, but you really need to have read the others in the series (and they’re good) - I don’t think this would work as a standalone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20