Profile for J. Giddings > Reviews

J. Giddings

Marius' Mules V: Hades' Gate
Marius' Mules V: Hades' Gate

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Enthralling!, 4 Jun. 2013
Well where do I begin? I was a little bit sceptical about this book in the series largely due to the fact that it was based heavily in Rome. I find myself to enjoy more of a military side of Rome. Despite my reservations Simon has done absolutely fantastically to make it an utter page turner! There is a fair few new introductions in this book and also a fair few deaths, naming no names! The way he has managed to bring Rome to life is nothing short of brilliant, I have found some of the historical fiction I read that are based in Rome are a little bit of the same, but he has gone for the more darker side of it (especially so the scene in the Carcer!), which is the way Fronto would want it! Which brings me onto Fronto, he is the same old pessimistic, whiney guy we all love! Some of the things he says in not the most appropriate of situations had me laughing out loud to myself despite some odd looks from family members! The book is also set in Gaul and Britannia with Priscus who is as ever run completely of his feet. In this addition to the series with Fronto in Rome, Priscus has taken over as Caesars councillor, not quite as forward with him but not far off!

All in all a brilliant addition to the series, which you will love if you have read the others and also have you sitting on the edge of your seat! I am glad we are getting back to the military side of things in the upcoming books; the politics of Rome just doesn't suit Fronto!

Oh and by the way Simon you have hit the top of my favourite authors list, thank you!

Jake.

BenQ G922HDL 18.5-inch Wide LCD LED DVI Monitor - Black
BenQ G922HDL 18.5-inch Wide LCD LED DVI Monitor - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars One Word - Brilliant!, 5 Feb. 2012
Had this screen for over a year now and can safely say it is the best screen i have ever used. It has a clear crisp view, also it is perfect size as it does not take up to much room.
Would totally recomend this to anyone. The other reviewer of this obviously had a faulty one and should have sent it back to the manufacturer before giving it a poor review.

Could not be more pleased with this.