Profile for Alastair > Reviews

Alastair

5L Pump Action Pressure Sprayer - use with water, fertilizer or pesticides
5L Pump Action Pressure Sprayer - use with water, fertilizer or pesticides

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sprayer, 6 Dec. 2013
This worked well with fence / shed preservative and for the money you couldn't find one better. The spray does splatter a bit but still works for fence preservative.

PU Leather Paw Studded Cat Collar & Matching Colour Bell (Safety Elastic) (Pink)
Offered by RS Pet Boutique Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality cat collar, 6 Dec. 2013
These are smart collars with an elastic section to stop the cat getting stuck on a branch. my only criticism is that they are pretty long, which is fine for our big fat cat, but for the our other smaller cat I had to make more holes and cut the collar shorter.

Self Adhesive Plate Hanger Mixed Pack Of 10 / Stick On Plate Hanging Discs
Self Adhesive Plate Hanger Mixed Pack Of 10 / Stick On Plate Hanging Discs
Offered by Cutlers Home Store

5.0 out of 5 stars plate hangers, 6 Dec. 2013
simple to use and reliable - just wet the circle and stick it to the back of the plate. this pack provides a full range of all the sizes you'd need and works out quite a bit cheaper than buying them separately.

Dell C1660W Wireless Colour Laser Printer (12ppm)
Dell C1660W Wireless Colour Laser Printer (12ppm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Colour wireless laser printer at a great price, 6 Dec. 2013
We had a big Epson colour laser for years and I was reluctant to change to an inkjet as I suspected the print speeds would be slower. When I saw this was the same price as an inkjet it was the obvious answer. the set up was fairly simple on our Mac, just using the CD included with the product, then adding it to the wireless network was very simple. It prints nice and fast as you would expect and the quality is surprisingly good - clearly photos can only be printed on plain paper but they still look pretty good - better than our old printer which was a lot bigger and more expensive.

The Draft
The Draft

5.0 out of 5 stars very moving, 15 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Draft (Kindle Edition)
A fantastic book which is particularly interesting for anyone with a young daughter. Very sad but also insightful and powerful.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great universal remote switch, 2 Feb. 2012
I bought this remote cable switch for my Canon 60D and it works perfectly. It has a two stage button, the same as the shutter button on the camera, so you depress it halfway to focus and then fully to take the picture. It works perfectly well and feels well made.

It also fits our Canon G11 and, therefore, I suspect it fits the rest of the Canon G series. I also tried it on my father's 600D and it worked on that so I expect it works on most of the Canon range with the standard socket for a cable release.

Overall a great addition for taking pictures with a tripod, or else rested on a stationary object.

Nighty Night - Series 1 [DVD]
Nighty Night - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julia Davis
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Good original comedy, 18 Jan. 2012
I was recommended to try this comedy series by a friend as we share a slightly dark sense of humour, and ordered both the first and second series. As I watched them both in fairly quick succession I am not going to differentiate - they were both quite funny and very original, with appropriate twists to keep the plot interesting. The characters are particularly strong, with a good cast and good building of the main characters as the series continues.

The subject matter is challenging in places and clearly not for the faint-hearted, but this is the basis of the jokes, so if you enjoy dark comedy then this will appeal to you. I think the highest commendation I can give is that once I started watching it I ended up watching the entire two series in one weekend.

Diesel Hushy K Slim And Skinny Girls Jeans Denim 2 Years
Diesel Hushy K Slim And Skinny Girls Jeans Denim 2 Years

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and well made jeans, 12 Jan. 2012
We bought these for our daughter, though she is neither slim nor skinny, and they fitted perfectly and looked great. They even have patches inside the jeans to stop her toes catching in the holes. Very happy, though the length may be slightly short for some tall two year olds.

Canon PowerShot G11 Digital Camera (High Sensitivity 10.0 MP, 5x Zoom, 2.8 Inch Vari-Angle LCD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Pictures but poor reliability, 12 Jan. 2012
I bought this camera about two years ago, mainly for taking pictures of our daughter. The pictures were great and I'm sure there are plenty of reviews here that will confirm the manual controls and options that it provides - it really got my wife and me into photography. My only criticism of the pictures is that it is difficult to get a shallow depth of field (though it can be done) and the view finder is not great - hence i suspect people rely on the screen view instead, though this slows down the picture speed.

However, the real issue is that after about 18 months of use and around 1,000 photographs the camera stopped working. We took it to a local camera shop as it was outside the 12 month warranty, but they advised it would have to go back to Canon. We contacted Canon and they collected the camera but they explained it needed a new processor and charged £130 for the repair. We paid as it is still a good camera but that is appalling reliability for an 18 month old camera which has not had heavy use.

I was interested to see if it was a single problem and noticed a study done by Square Trade, the company that provides Amazon's extended warranties. I haven't bought any of their warranties so I can't comment on the company but they had written a report on camera reliability which flagged Canon as being the least reliable camera manufactuer in the 'premium point and shoot $300 - $500' range, which would encompass the G11 - which suggests I am not alone in my experience. Here is the report:
[...]