Profile for T. Mcveigh > Reviews

Content by T. Mcveigh

T. Mcveigh (London United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Regatta Survivor II Rucksack - Black, 65 L
Regatta Survivor II Rucksack - Black, 65 L

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this budget rucksack for the price., 27 Feb. 2016
I was comparing it in Dublin shops with the 66L Trespass Trek (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trespass-Trek-Litre-Rucksack/dp/B003YHBVV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456615388&sr=8-1&keywords=66L+rucksack#customerReviews) which I found very uncomfortable on and the material and zips very stiff, and the more obscure "Highlander Trekker" 65L which had no rain cover or internal divider. What I liked about the Regatta Survivor: Raincover included, comfortable, drawstring divider above the lower zip to divide bag in two sections, a large "pocket" section at the back of the bag. What I didn't like: the side pockets (stiff, shallow, and a bizarre curved shape instead of rectangular), I thought the top "hood" section was a bit shallow and if the bag is fully stuffed, it then won't completely cover the bag, and I missed having a bottom-of-the-hood, hidden, zipped compartment for documents that I have in another rucksack. I would have preferred if the rain cover wasn't yellow but overall I am very happy with my choice of ruckack which served me well in Indonesia during rainy season.

COLOUR MAGNET - 2 IN 1 COLOUR RUN & EFFECTIVE STAIN REMOVER 10 SHEET BOX
COLOUR MAGNET - 2 IN 1 COLOUR RUN & EFFECTIVE STAIN REMOVER 10 SHEET BOX

1.0 out of 5 stars Seem to be colour REPELLENT!, 10 Feb. 2015
I suspected they didn't work when EVERYTHING in a wash came out bright green except for the two "colour magnet" sheets which were still glowing white after the wash. Then I did an experiment, put two sheets from a reputable seller (e.g, Dylon or Punch) in a red/pink wash along with one sheet of Colour Magnet, and low and behold, two pinky sheets at the end of that wash (the Dylon ones) and one still white sheet (the "Colour Magnet") one - see attached photo.. The "Colour Magnets" don't work - at all. I would never buy them again - at least I see they have changed the packaging from the red packaging that might mean you buy them thinking they are Punch or Dylon ones. Steer well clear is my advice.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Tumtum and Nutmeg: The Pirates' Treasure
Tumtum and Nutmeg: The Pirates' Treasure
by Emily Bearn

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming tale., 17 Feb. 2014
I got this book for my 8-year old nephew, as I was attracted by the cover and the many illustrations. This particular aunt reads children's books before handing them over, so I can comment on it.

It's the third in a series featuring the mice Tumtum and Nutmeg. It reads reasonably well as a stand-alone book. I was confused by Nutmeg's initial reference to the children but it turns out that these children are a human boy and girl that the mice keep an eye on, not mouselings! There are a few references back to previous adventures and the premise that the children think Nutmeg is a fairy they have never seen, who sometimes helps them out and writes letters to them. It IS an old-fashioned story (a bit Wind in the Willows meets Swallows and Amazons) but very enjoyable.

I have to say that when I gave it to my nephew as part of his birthday present, I pointed out to him that there's a mistake on page 49. Nutmeg asks the question "Another slither, anyone?" when offering more food and this, of course, should be "Another sliver, anyone?" Slither and sliver may sound alike to some, but they are completely different words. Sliver means a thin piece (apparently it's derived from the Old English verb sliven meaning to split or cleave) while slither describes the motion of snakes (apparently from the Old English verb slidrian meaning to slide). Perhaps this error could be corrected in future editions?

I would guess the series is aimed at children aged 6-8 and I will certainly keep an eye out for the first book.

Chester
Chester
by Mélanie Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and great fun! Love it!, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Chester (Paperback)
No-one in our family is sure who got this book for my little nephew, now 7, but I'm pretty jealous it wasn't me. The point is that the author is trying to tell a story about other things, including the dog, but the cat, Chester, keeps crossing things out with red pencil and making himself the focus of the story. My nephew thinks it's hilarious and so do I. Clever too. Highly recommended, especially for "cat people"!!

French & Saunders - At the Movies [DVD]
French & Saunders - At the Movies [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Saunders
Offered by musicMagpie

1.0 out of 5 stars What a swiz! Mostly non-movie sketches from the early 90s., 11 Nov. 2012
French and Saunders at the Movies. BBC copyright 2005. 100 minutes of material.

Sounds great if you love F&S's excellent parodies of films. Until you discover this DVD covers 5 films only (Misery, Silence of the Lambs, Aliens, Thelma & Louise, and, from the 1999 Christmas Special, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace). And great parodies they are too, even if they are split up into about 3 sections each. But the point is that the majority of the sketches on this DVD are NOT film-related.

Most of the rest of the material is so old, that without the DVD inlay, I would have had trouble figuring out what they were about. Bizarrely, the DVD even includes a sketch about gossipy women comparing Princess Diana to Fergie, (and later a completely unrelated one mentioning Dodi Fayed). Yes, that's right, sketches about people who were dead by late 1997, being released in 2005. There are sketches called "House of Idiot" parodying a TV series called "House of Elliot" which apparently ran from 1991-1994, and a music video sketch that was utterly lost on me until I finally figured out that the inlay title "Dickens Daughters" was a pun on Shakespears Sister - remember them?

There ARE a few sketches that don't only relate to "hot topics of the early 90s", like "The Elizabethans" "End of School" or the Fat Men sketches.

A little note on the back says "Previously available on BBCV5246" My online research shows this was the now-deleted VHS tape "French and Saunders Best of Series 4" released in 1994. From its cover photos, it certainly also included Thelma and Louise, Silence of the Lambs and Misery. It seems to me likely the Beeb has just transferred that ancient material directly to DVD without editing, thrown in the 1999 Christmas special, and re-marketed it in 2005 with the misleading DVD title, blurb, and photos about film parodies.

Caveat emptor. Read very carefully between the 2005 blurb lines "Over the past decade, Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders have hilariously parodied any Hollywood film worth its salt. Gloriously, some of these have been gathered together on one DVD with other hilarious sketches from the fourth television series...."
Shame on you, BBC!

Stripy 30cm Horse Soft Toy
Stripy 30cm Horse Soft Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely colourful soft toy for my 8-month old niece!, 4 Jun. 2012
I must first declare my loose affiliations. A friend of mine in the UK lives near the creators of Stripy Horse and told me about his presence on facebook, cbeebies and of course in books.

I haven't seen the books yet but I liked the look of the toy on Amazon and got one for my niece. The only worry I had was the 30cm measurement; as he's shown sitting down I got the idea he was 30cm from mane to rump, and I thought he might be a bit bigger than I'd have liked, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover he's actually 30cm from mane to back hoof, and only about 17-18 cm from mane to rump - just right!

I think the toy is great. I love the bright colours, the scrunchy beanbag hooves and there are no little detatchable bits to worry about making it unsuitable for a little one. I really can't understand why there is the occasional negative review on here. I was a bit tempted to keep Stripy Horse for myself. But I did the right thing and passed him on to my 8-month old niece, who likes him very much!

Learn-A-Craft Friendly Frog Stamped Cross Stitch Kit-3" Round
Learn-A-Craft Friendly Frog Stamped Cross Stitch Kit-3" Round
Offered by supermart USA

2.0 out of 5 stars The dangers of buying online.., 5 Feb. 2012
I wanted an easy starter cross-stitch as part of a birthday present for a 6-year old who expressed an interest. And bought this one (from another online site) because of its clear, simple, childish design, bright colours, "learn-a-craft" and "for kids!" tags but most of all, because it was a "stamped" cross stitch i.e., the design is on the cloth so no counting involved. It is made by Dimensions who are a well-known cross stitch manufacturer, with instructions in French and English.

I had misgivings as soon as it arrived, stamped "ages 8+". Oh, dear. And eventually I opened the pack to see what was inside.

The cons:
The only cross-stitch I've ever seen where the finished product is smaller than the design on the packet! The entire frog's head is 5.8 x 5 cm. Not good for little hands!

Instead of what you might expect for a child, 7-count or 11-count Aida fabric (the count number refers to how many stitches there are per inch - 14 is standard for grown ups) with holes for the needle to go through, the fabric is not aida but a plain closely-woven "sailcloth". The "x"s are stamped on the cloth and the child is supposed to stick the needle in not exactly over the "x"s but extending a little over the edges of the "x" to fill up the space - no holes to guide where the needle should go through. I would estimate there are about 10 stitches per inch.

Worst of all, the frog's head is not stamped in colour. So how does the child know which colour to use where? Yep, you guessed it: the instructions include a counted cross stitch-type diagram with differently-shaped black symbols for the green, yellow and black thread. Exactly what I was trying to avoid. In fairness, there are faint outlines on the cloth to delineate the eye-sockets and pupils.

The design includes "back stitch" for the outlining. That's common enough in cross stitch designs, but I was surprised that the tongue of the frog is to be completed entirely in "satin stitch", a new one on me.

It's "glow in the dark" apparently. I've taken it into a dark room; the area around the frog's head is very faintly luminous, the thread isn't luminous at all. Not a lot to get excited about.

All in all, this is much too small, fiddly and complicated for a starter cross stitch kit for a child in my opinion, while I think that, by the time a child is old enough and competent enough to tackle it, they would no longer be interested in such a babyish design. It just strikes me as having been designed by people who don't know very much about children.
Btw, it is the hoop, which is also meant to be what the finished sewing is "framed" in, that is the 3" or 8cm across as noted for the "finished size" in the "technical details" for this product.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars The dangers of buying online..., 5 Feb. 2012

I had misgivings as soon as it arrived stamped "ages 8+" in small type. Oh, dear. And eventually I ripped opened the pack to see what was inside...

The cons:

This is the only cross-stitch I've ever seen where the finished product is smaller than the picture on the packet! The entire frog's head is 5.8 x 5 cm. Not good for little hands!

Instead of what you might expect for a child, 7-count or 11-count Aida fabric (the count number refers to how many stitches there are per inch - 14 count is standard for grown ups) with holes for the needle to go through, the fabric is not aida fabric at all but a plain closely-woven "sailcloth". The "x"s are stamped on the cloth and the child is supposed to stick the needle in, not exactly over the "x"s but extending a little over the edges of the "x" to fill up the space - so there are no holes to guide where the needle should go through. I would estimate there are about 10 stitches per inch.

Worst of all, the frog's head is not stamped in colour. So how does the child know which colour to use where? Yep, you guessed it: the instructions include a counted cross stitch-type diagram with differently-shaped black symbols for the green, yellow and black thread. Exactly what I was trying to avoid. However, there *are* faint outlines on the cloth to delineate the eye-sockets and pupils.

All in all, this is much too small, fiddly and complicated for a starter cross stitch kit for a child in my opinion, while I think that, by the time a child is old enough and competent enough to tackle it, they would no longer be interested in such a babyish design. It just strikes me as having been designed by people who don't know very much about children!

Btw, it is the included sewing hoop, which is also meant to be what the finished sewing is "framed" in, that is the 3" or 8 cm across noted for the "finished size" in the "technical details" for this product.

Looney Tunes: All Stars Collection 1 [DVD] [2004]
Looney Tunes: All Stars Collection 1 [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Looney Tunes
Offered by The_Entertainment _Store

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Golden Collection volume 1 instead., 5 Feb. 2012
I picked this Looney Tunes All Stars vol.1 up in Sainsburys for 3 quid with a dim memory that I had bought my nephew volume 2 already, and he loved it. I was wrong - it was the 4-disc volume 2 of the Golden Collection I had already got him - I didn't know these 1-disc "all-stars" Looney Tunes existed.
So I am agreeing with reviewer R. A. Caton here, that it is much better value to spend 6 quid on the Golden Collection vol. 1, available in Region 2 through Amazon, as it seems from Caton's review, that the third disc in that collection is pretty much identical to this Looney Tunes all-stars volume 1. The list of cartoons from the Golden Collection disc 3 is given below from another Amazon reviewer. The "All-star" disc doesn't list all the cartoons but mentions Hair-Raising Hare, Feed the Kitty, and Fast and Furry-ous in the blurb on the back and certainly the "ToonHeads", Behind-the-Tunes, and "all-time favourite soundtracks", with "many more vewwy impwessive features" would indicate that the extras are similar if not identical. I wish I'd bought the Golden Collection vol. 1 instead. Note there are the usual annoyances with unselectable menu but it's a great excuse for the little one to insist he has to watch the whole 98 minutes on the trot!

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 1 [DVD]

Feed the Kitty
Don't Give Up The Sheep
Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid
Tortoise Wins By A Hare

Extras: Documentary "Toon Heads: The Lost Cartoons." New Behind-the-Tunes Featurettes: "Too Fast, Too Furry-ous," "Merrie Melodies: Carl Stalling and Cartoon Music," "Blanc Expressions." From the Vaults: "Hair-Raising Hare Schematics," "The Hypo-Chondri-Cat Schematics." Still gallery

101 Irish Hits
101 Irish Hits

3.0 out of 5 stars The track listing, 11 Jan. 2012
This review is from: 101 Irish Hits (Audio CD)
I took a punt on buying this from a marketplace seller for a couple of quid, having found the track listing for the Disc1 online somewhere. The quality of choices drops off after a couple of CDs and I'll be making a compilation to edit Linda Martin, Chris de Burgh and the likes out, but for the price I paid - no complaints. Here is the full listing:
Disc1.
1 Van Morrison-Brown-Eyed-Girl. 2. The Dubliners-Dirty Old Town (live) 3. Horslips-Trouble with a capital T. 4. Phil Lynott-Old Town. 5. Virgin Prunes-Pagan Love Song. 6. Those Nervous Animals-The Business Enterprise. 7. Microdisney-Town To Town. 8. Aslan-This Is. 9. The Blades-Downmarket. 10. Cry Before Dawn-Gone Forever. 11. In Tua Nua-Seven Into The Sea. 12. The Adventures-Broken Land. 13. The Hothouse Flowers-Don't Go. 14. The 4 of Us-Mary 15. The Fat Lady Sings-Arclight. 16. An Emotional Fish-Celebrate. 17. Stump-Charlton Heston. 18. Fatima Mansions-Only Losers Take the Bus. 19. Power of Dreams-100 Ways to Kill a Love 20. Sinead O'Connor-Nothing Compares 2 U.
Disc2.
Something Happens-Parachute. 2. The Stunning-Half Past 2. 3. That Petrol Emotion-Hey Venus 4. The Frank & Waters-This is Not A Song. 5. A House-Here Come The Good Times. 6. Blink-It's Not My Fault. 7. The Saw Doctors-To Win Just Once 8. Sultans of Ping FC-Where's Me Jumper? 9. Kerbdog-Sally. 10. Whipping Boy-We Don't Need Nobody Else. 11. The Devlins-Waiting 12. The Cranberries-Linger 13. Therapy?-Going Nowhere 14. Ash-Shining Light. 15. The Corrs-Runaway. 16. Gary Moore-Parisienne Walkways 17. Taste-Blister on the Moon. 18. The Lookalikes-Can I Take You Home Tonight. 19. The Radiators-Song of the Faithful Departed. 20. David McWilliams-The Days of Pearly Spencer.
Disc3.
1. Mundy-July. 2. Miv Christopher-Heyday. 3. Cathy Davey-Moving. 4. Republic of Loose-Comeback Girl. 5. The Blizzards-Fantasy. 6. The Delorentos-Stop. 7. Ham Sandwich-Click...Click...BOOM! 8. Declan O'Rourke-Galileo. 9. Stellasound ft. Miss Paula Flynn-Let's Dance. 10. Mick Flannery-Tomorrow's Papers 13. The Stars of Heaven-All About You. 12. Juliet Turner-Take the Money and Run. 13. Aslan-Jealous Little Thing 14. Gavin Glass and the Holy Shakers-Ragdoll. 15. John Spillane-There Was a Man. 16. David Kitt-Song From Hope Street. 17. The Divine Comedy-Lady of a Certain Age. 18. Gemma Hayes-Undercover 19. The Radio - Whatever gets you through today. 20. The Thrills-One Horse Town.
Disc4. 1. Paul Harrington & Charlie McGettigan-Rock n Roll Kids. 2. Johnny Logan-Hold Me Now 3. The Royal Showband-The Hucklebuck. 4. Joe Dolan-Good Looking Woman. 5. Niamh Kavanagh-In Your Eyes. 6. Chris de Burgh-Lady in Red. 7. Boyzone-No Matter What. 8. OTT-All Out of Love. 9. Linda Martin-Why Me? 10. Brian Kennedy-Captured. 11. The Carter Twins-The Twelth of Never. 12. Richie Kavanagh-Aon Focal Eile. 13. B*witched-C'est la vie. 14. The Nolan Sisters-I'm In the Mood for Dancing. 15. Samantha Mumba-Body to Body. 16. Kerri-Ann-Irreplacable 17. Relish-Rainbow Zephyr. 18. Tim O'Riordain and Natural Gas-The Langer. 19. Luan Parle-Ghost. 20. Dana-All Kinds of Everything. 21. Sinead O'Connor-Mandinka
Disc5.
1. The Walls-To The Bright and Shining Sun. 2. The Divine Comedy-Absent Friends. 3. Paul Brady-Crazy Dreams. 4. Feargal Sharkey-A Good Heart. 5. Joe Dolon-The Universal. 6. Paddy Casey-Saints and Sinners. 7. David Holmes-Gritty Shaker. 8. Director-Reconnect 9. Revelino-Don't Lead Me Down. 10. Cathy Davey-Come Over. 11. Thin Lizzy-Running Back. 12. The Committments-Mustang Sally. 13. Christy Moore-Ride On. 14. D:REAM-Things Can Only Get Better. 15. Mark McCabe-Maniac 2000. 16. Strictly Fish-To Whom It Concerns. 17. John Spillane-The Dunnes Stores Girl. 18. The Waterboys-The Whole of the Moon. 19. Planxty-3 Drunken Maidens. 20. The Thrills-Whatever Happened to Corey Haim.

Page: 1 | 2