Profile for Wisemann > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
sourcingmap® Oval Shaped Flexible Hose Adjustable Shower Head Clear
sourcingmap® Oval Shaped Flexible Hose Adjustable Shower Head Clear

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Performer!, 22 April 2016
This seems to be a marvellous item. The stream of water which issues from the shower head is stronger than anything I have had before by something like a factor of 6, I suggest. My shower unit is old and low pressured and I have never had this sort of performance in the past at any time with different hozes and different shower heads! I have to propose that this 6x improvement must be down to the design of the product. I had to replace my previous shower head and hoze because the existing hoze was leaking. When your item arrived, I thought I would be making a routine replacement of my earlier hoze and shower head; never did I expect this 'turbo-charging' improvement in the released water stream. I count myself most fortunate to have made this purchase. Even in today's busy world, it appears that some surprises can be pleasant ones!

Berlitz: German Pocket Dictionary (Berlitz Pocket Dictionary)
Berlitz: German Pocket Dictionary (Berlitz Pocket Dictionary)
by Berlitz

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy to take with you., 29 Jan. 2015
This dictionary is really compact so it fits easily into you pocket or satchel. It is convenient for taking with you whenever you will be in the company of German speakers. The plastic cover will resist rain and moisture and is easy to wipe clean. The text entries are easy to read (with glasses if you normally wear them) even though they have to be in small print for this compact publication. Headwords and main associated words are printed boldly in blue - this definitely helps your searches.

At the front of the book there are 6 pages giving guidance on German pronunciation. However, within the body of the book there is no pronunciation guidance given in either the German or English section [hence 4 stars and not 5]. While never denying that German pronunciation is usually regular, this still feels like an omission. When you are studying on a language course, this would not be the best book to keep by your side for that reason. The absence of distributed pronunciation guidance probably means the book is less bulky, mind; that is a virtue in itself.

So, take this dictionary with you at all times when you are out and about but find a different one to support thorough studies.

Dixon High D Tuneable Whistle
Dixon High D Tuneable Whistle

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent whistle from Tony Dixon - Model DX004, 26 Sept. 2014
Please read the other helpful reviews on this page - I did.

I am a complete beginner on the Irish whistle. I wanted an instrument that would last me for years without the need of a replacement as I advanced. Because of that, I sense that I was correct when I chose the Tony Dixon Model DX004 Whistle in the Key of D.

The strong whistle is made entirely of high grade plastic and is in two parts. The assembled instrument can be lengthened or shortened to allow for tuning - that is important when playing with other musicians. The whistle is as light as a feather. The outside plastic appears to have been brushed lending the instrument the warm feel of wood. The instrument is, indeed, a joy to hold.

I am making comfortable progress and as best I can judge the whistle is supporting my efforts. I like the look of my whistle, the way it sounds when blown and the pleasure of handling it. So far I have no regrets.

Incidentally, should you wish, you can obtain a piccolo head (designated DX028H) which can be used interchangeably with your existing whistle head. This lets you play your instrument in the transverse flute position.

[ If you are an absolute beginner, I recommend that you complete your package by gaining 'The Tin Whistle Book' by Tom Maguire from Ossian Publications. Use this simple, thorough book as your main tutor book. The one book will teach you all you need and so is strictly sufficient. 'How to Play the Penny Whisle' by Gina Landor and Phil Cleaver from Wise Publications will give you useful reinforcement. Both books are inexpensive. The books will show you how to read music as well ]

Arcadia 15watt 450mm T8 Original Tropical FO15
Arcadia 15watt 450mm T8 Original Tropical FO15
Offered by aquacadabra

5.0 out of 5 stars Economical light tube which promotes plant growth., 6 July 2014
The tube is an excellent, value-for-money, reliable performer. My new tube is now working faultlessly over my fish tank. The tube is intended to promote and sustain strong plant growth and this it does easily. My previous experience of Arcadia light tubes over the years has been entirely satisfactory. So, if you want a secure workhorse tube that comes with an economical price tag, then do as I did and buy an Arcadia T8 Original Tropical Fluorescent Light Tube. There are different sizes to suit the measurements of each particular aquarium. I believe I am correct when I say that this lamp used to be called the Grolux Tube and in that guise it earned itself a steady good name - especially for enhancing plant growth.

JVC HA-EB75 In-Ear Sweat Resistant Sports Headphones with Adjustable Clip - Blue
Offered by Best-GIG

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, reliable, stay-in-place earphones., 15 Oct. 2013
I have not used my JVC HA-EB75-AE earphones when exercising. Instead I have used them with my laptop at unsocial hours or when travelling with my laptop or personal radio. Incidentally, a person sitting next to you is not troubled by sound leakage so long as you are listening at sensible volume settings.

Ordinary pop-in-the-ear earphones keep falling out of my ears (I have tried lots of models - without success). This has NEVER happened with these earphones. They are comfortable and the sound reproduction is good [both bass and treble, it seems to me]. I have had a pair for 2 years and they are working as well as when new. I am entirely satisfied. I have bought two more JVC HA-EB75-AE earphones so that I do not need to take the same pair to every place I go. The price is reasonable.

Usborne Internet-Linked French for Beginners with CD
Usborne Internet-Linked French for Beginners with CD
by Angela Wilkes
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Usborne Internet-Linked French fo Beginners with CD, 16 Dec. 2012
The award of 5 stars is because the book achieves all it sets out to do: to be a really simple, clear introduction to the French language. The book and CD will be a help to children and adult beginners equally. There is nothing in this book that you will need to un-learn once you move on to advanced books.

In the early days of using advanced books, you can refer back to the Usborne book when needing practice material. That way the Usborne book gets a second outing. Once you are sure that the Usborne book has served all your needs, you can let it go to any child, who is learning French.

The drawings are clear and helpful. A lot of thought has gone into producing the book. To use simple words, it is a nice little book.

Embrace - A Glorious Day Live in Leeds [DVD] [2005]
Embrace - A Glorious Day Live in Leeds [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Embrace
Offered by edinburgh_buy_and_sell

5.0 out of 5 stars Embrace - A Glorious Day Live in Leeds - DVD, 16 Dec. 2012
These 5 lads deserve 5 stars for their unfailing modesty alone. Because of their level-headed humility in the presence of their undoubted, steady talent, these lads could go far in the next 10 years and beyond. I wish them every success for the future.

The open air concert is well photographed and well recorded. The stunning outcome has merits for archival purposes whereby it marks their musical development during the 2004/2005 period. Danny's rapport with his enthusiastic audience is very pleasing and shows he is learning his craft to be a presenter as well as a singer.

There is a sensible interview before the show. The interview gives each band member a chance to say his piece so we hear what the band has been doing in the recent years and we hear what future plans may be. The interview is definitely a valuable bonus.

The DVD will suit established fans; it will suit anyone who appreciates modern band music also.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2013 6:43 PM BST

Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010]
Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Nia Vardalos
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars A charming, worthwhile, comedy film, 16 Dec. 2012
This is innocent fun for all the family. Nia Vardalos really has a unique screen presence. She has her own ways of making humour and appears to be copying no-one else. She is a hard working actress, who deserves the success she gains. Expect a pleasing film whenever Nia is involved.

Nia Vardalos plays Georgia who is an American graduate working as a tour guide/courier for Pangloss Tours in Greece until a better job comes along. The company arranges motor coach tours lasting several days while visiting Greece's historical sites.

Poor Georgia has been having a hard time in this job so far. Her latest assignment brings no improvement when she is given a group of holiday-makers from all around the world. It does not matter how she tries, she cannot please her party. Day by day matters go downhill more and more. Surely it can not get any worse? Surely not?!!

For me the charm of this film lies in the fact that there is nothing silly-stupid in it. Instead it is a wry look at life and the way we all behave from time to time. I feel that the film-makers have achieved their objectives so I complement them for a successful, well balanced film! This is a film that many of us will be able to watch more than once.

The Musician's Guide to Reading and Writing Music
The Musician's Guide to Reading and Writing Music
by Dave Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cheerful, Effective Way to Learn Music Theory, 13 May 2012
I agree with other reviewers on this page: this excellent book is filled with warmth and humour. It is the only music theory book that has ever made me laugh out loud - and lots of times. I hope this book stays in print for many years to come.

Even though the book is an easy read, the author keeps to the task of teaching us the ins and outs of musical notation. The book is reliable on that score. The majority of musical theory books teach us to read the printed music which we find in textbooks or as sheet music. Dave Stewart has higher aims for his readers because he wants his readers to write music for themselves. He deals with this on every front: how to overcome worries about neatness; how to set about one's first efforts; how to develop a personal style; etc., etc.

Today you may remember your latest composition. What about in 6 month's time? No problems if you were able to write it down.

Dave Stewart is giving you the secure, practical skills which you will need as a musician. You will finish up reading and WRITING music. Very few people will regret buying this book. It is nearly as good as being in the same room as a cheerful and competent teacher.

We should keep in mind a sensible point: it is probably impossible to write a theory book with absolutely everything in it. All we can do is to look for a book which does its best and which is a pleasure to read at the same time. Let Dave Stewart's book step up to the stage! His book has many virtues and only a few shortcomings.

The Mighty Accordion
The Mighty Accordion
by David Digiuseppe
Edition: Perfect Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Player's Friend - Master the Bass Buttons!, 25 Oct. 2011
This is a really excellent book. Every player should have a copy. The book starts with the basics and then moves steadily forward through to advanced techniques. The 3 main sections - basics, intermediate and advanced - have each been given the same thorough treatment. This book will definitely bring you the skills you need for playing the bass buttons with your left hand.

This is not a dry reference book. Instead it is a structured learning course, which welcomes you to participate. Everything is there in generous supply.

The book can be used by players of every level including complete beginners. Each player can take what he needs at the time. Those who play for fun and everyday pleasure will probably find all they need in the first 2 sections of the book. Those wishing to play to a professional standard will be rewarded with the gems of teaching to be found in the advanced section.

As would be expected, the book presents the topic by means of a set of lessons. All the lessons have lots of practice pieces and the appropriate theory is stated clearly. The practice pieces have the best fingerings indicated. The theory discussions are a strong feature of the book. Chord structure and chord nomenclature are dealt with fully. The brain is trained as well as the fingers.

What is outstanding is the book's easy readability and so is the thorough treatment given to the subject on every page. Hats off to David diGuiseppe for his care and commitment! Hats off to Mel Bay, his publishers, for supporting him! Highly Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2