Profile for Stan Marut > Reviews

The Hall in the Garden: The Story of Freemasons Hall
The Hall in the Garden: The Story of Freemasons Hall
by Library and Museum of Freemasonry

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superstructure - Honorable to the Builder, 5 Mar. 2015
As I was doing research on one of the particular architects of the 1860s Freemasons Hall, this was particularly useful as not only did it give an extensive overall view, it also gave me particular information on my subject and led me to find other resources to complement those cited in the book. An interesting book for lovers of architecture and also for Freemasons.

A4 (210 x 297mm) Parchment Paper Natural 120gsm, Pack of 50 Sheets.
A4 (210 x 297mm) Parchment Paper Natural 120gsm, Pack of 50 Sheets.
Offered by AONESTATIONERY

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality and Fit For Purpose, 4 Jan. 2015
I wanted to produce a A4 folded A5 booklet in Parchment but in good quality. Previously I had to go to a Printers who would charge between £50 and £60 plus delivery and then postage to about 30 recipients. I was able to format that which I wanted to print into A4 and print it at home thus saving bundles of money. I am extremely pleased withe results and have actually ordered a second packet.

MegaGear "Ever Ready" Protective Dark Brown Leather Camera Case , Bag for Fujifilm X-A3, X-A2, X-A1, X-M1 with 16-50mm Lens
Offered by MEGA WEST

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 20 Oct. 2014
Just what was needed to give the necessary protection. It looks good and is extremely good value for money. You might pay more for something more snazzy, but this is quite adequate for the use I shall make of both the camera and the case.

I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly recommended, 10 Oct. 2014
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Kindle Edition)
This was recommended to me by someone who said it was the best book they had ever read. I have to agree to an extent that this is certainly a very good and very well written adventure/thriller. It grips you from the beginning to the end and as someone who shys away from fiction normally this made a change to my reading habits. Throughly enjoyed and recommended.

R. Strauss: Guntram
R. Strauss: Guntram

5.0 out of 5 stars Queler excels for me., 5 Sept. 2014
This review is from: R. Strauss: Guntram (Audio CD)
This was a wonderful opportunity to listen again to the first recording I purchased of this fine Opera with all its lush "Straussian" motifs. I originally had the Vynil when first released and as I no longer have a Record player I wasn't able to enjoy it. I bought the Gustav Kuhn CD subsequently and although it too is a wondeful recording, it doesn't quite match up to Eve Queler. Firstly, Reiner Goldberg has a wondeful tone which just gets ahead of Alan Woodrow on the Kuhn recording for my ear. Ilona Tokody on this recording is superb. I absolutely love the music and although I have seen reviews that state the plot is banal. Well, so what. The Queler recording is like the return of an old friend and I have been playing it on a loop, almost. I do not tire of it. As I write this review I am listening to the Kuhn and this justifies my feelings. Of the two I would have no hesistation in recommending the Queler. As for Kuhn's Orchestra Filharmonika Marchigiana and the Queler Hungarian State Orchestra, there is little to choose. Both give a fine rendition.

Georgie Does His Thing With Strings
Georgie Does His Thing With Strings

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice ballads from Georgie, 26 May 2014
I remember when about 16 years old I would see Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames at various venues in London even before he became well known. His type of music and especially the Hammond Organ was right up my street. Growing older and moving away from the heady days of R & B in the UK, I was on vacation in Poland (around the mid 70s) and on visiting the local bookstore/ record shop I found this album in vynil. I bought it, of course, and was surprised at its content. This was nothing like the Georgie Fame that I knew. Nevertheless, it has a great appeal and the arrangements of the songs are excellent. The album is now collecting dust in the loft and although I had searched for a CD version from time to time on Amazon, I was pleased to get the MP3 download and start listening again. I love the tracks - What's New and Guess who I saw today my Dear? - which are almost tear jerkers for me as I read into the lyrics my own personal disappointments and losses. Good nostalgia album for those who like these ballads sung in a slightly different style given Georgies' vocal attributes. You always know it's Georgie Fame singing.

The Mod Years 1965-1969
The Mod Years 1965-1969

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 26 May 2014
This review is from: The Mod Years 1965-1969 (Audio CD)
I remember the Brian Auger Trinity before his link up with Julie Driscoll and the other vocalists. I particularly enjoyed his Hammond Organ style. I have had a vynil album for many years which I am unable to play and the purchase of this CD was an opportunity to listen again to many of the tracks from that album. However, it is Brian on his own that holds the nostalgia for me. Music of it's time and although musical taste never stays the same, I never tire of "Fool KIller", the Mose Allsion number which Brian puts his own stamp on. Good nostalgic stuff for an old Mod.

Black 2 Parts Hard PU Leather Case for Fuji Fujifilm X-Pro1 Camera (18mm / F2 R Lens / 35mm / F1.4 R Lens / 60mm / F2.4 R Lens) & Hood Pouch

4.0 out of 5 stars Adequate Equipment, 26 May 2014
Very useful and adequate piece of equipment. For those on a budget this is all you need to keep your X PRO 1 safe. Whilst one would have liked the higher quality (I would imagine), Fuji prices are a bit high and although I wouldn't call it second best it provides the utility and does the same job. Nothing worse than a scuffed and scraped camera which isn't exactly cheap.

Shostakovich: Symphony No.14 [Vasily Petrenko/ LPO] [Naxos: 8.573132]
Shostakovich: Symphony No.14 [Vasily Petrenko/ LPO] [Naxos: 8.573132]

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - Treat Yourself, 17 April 2014
My original experience of this Symphony was the Barshai/Moscow Chamber Orchestra on vynil going back to the 1970s. The Soprano was Margarita Miroshnikova. This was the yardstick by which I came to judge subsequent renditions of this particular piece of music. Seemingly no longer available even as a CD (who has the Melodya catalogue these days?), I sought alternative recordings which regrettably never quite did it. The soprano was either too harsh or sang flat in places. This must be an extraordinarily difficult piece to pitch with the voice. These included the Neeme Järvi, Ladislav Slovak (appalling), Barshai but with the WDR Symphonie. It was the final movement by which I judged my satisfaction - Conclusion - where the two voices combine in (sorry anglicized as per the libretto) "V mig visshey zhizni ona nas strazhdet..." etc. On this Petrenko recording with Gal James and Alexander Vinogrodov I have found that which had eluded me for so long. There is such a perfect blend of voices in this last movement which I personally found profoundly moving given the context of the whole symphony. For me James, Vinogrodov and Petrenko have produced an immensely satisfying interpretation which the others have come nowhere near. All this at a budget price. I have several of the other Petrenko recordings and as they all seem to be so crisp and sharp in rendition I wondered at the timings of each movement compared to others. For instance in concert Sanderling would conduct Shostakovich Symphonies like he had a train to catch especially No 5 which does well at a quick tempo even so. However, with Petrenko we get the measure plus the lyricism without being rushed but also without becoming a dirge like the Slovak Naxos recordings which will now be placed in the reserve collection. Petrenko will now grace my CD Library pride of place. Even if you have other interpretations of Symphony 14, this is something special.

Steve Conway HiFi Hits
Steve Conway HiFi Hits

5.0 out of 5 stars Memory Lane, 4 Mar. 2014
Steve Conway died when I was about three or four years old. My mother had a vynil extended play recording which had four of the tracks that are on this album. There was always music at home and I was weened on this crooning style of music. My mother died in 1991 and I still have the EP. No longer having a turntable I wanted to go down memory lane, so to speak and "re-live" some of this stuff. This MP3 download was a wonderful opportunity to hear again and imagine being a kid at home with Mum. Burning the CD now lets me be able to play on the regular CD player. Perhaps in todays pop music environment this music might be considered naive, but it speaks of its time and has a certain eloquence. The tragedy is that Steve Conway died when he was thirty one years old. Yet his music still lives on if not for his his original aficionados then for those that are old enough to remember him from their childhood.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10