Profile for Dolly Mixture > Reviews

The 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart
The 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart
by Dr Neal Barnard

5.0 out of 5 stars Best "diet" I have ever done, 28 Mar. 2014
I have done many diets over the years and always slipped back into bad habits. Most recently I have been juicing which has been great during a 5 or 7 day juice diet but what to eat the rest of the time? This book explains why a low-fat vegan diet is best for your health, it helps you to loose weight, is good for your heart and may help to prevent cancer and alzheimers. If there is a problem with the book, it is that the recipes have an American slant and I confess I have not made many of them. What I did was to scour my existing cookery books and the internet to find low-fat vegan recipes that I thought sounded tasty. There are many out there and I have found that my husband enjoys the meals too. I have not been hungry on this diet and the weight came off easily. I do still eat meat occasionally - when eating out - and I have the odd slice of cake. But, and here's the thing, when I do go off the diet, I can't wait to get back on it! This has never happened with any other diet I have done! I feel better and lighter somehow when eating this way. This is the first review I have completed for any book on Amazon because it has totally changed my life!

The End Of The Affair (Vintage Classics)
The End Of The Affair (Vintage Classics)
by Graham Greene

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring!, 2 Aug. 2011
I felt I had to review this book as it has so many 5 star reviews! I read it for my bookgroup and out of 10 people only one liked it! It is very introspective and I did not like the main character Bendrix. I could not understand why his affair with Sarah had started (what did she see in him - and he in her?) and the reason why she ended it so suddenly was odd. I felt the author was exploring his own ideas about why a relationship had broken down and how jealousy can drive people apart. The religious aspect was also odd. The only interesting comment I found was when Sarah said to the character who was trying to convince her that God does not exist - she said that if going to church and listening to religious ideas made him not believe then his trying to convince her not to believe was having the opposite effect on her. If you like reading what goes on in someone's head when they are jealous read on. If you like good characters and story don't bother.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2015 10:51 PM GMT