Profile for J. Gill > Reviews

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, 1 Nov. 2006
This album is fantastic. They have a really new sound - despite whatever people say about comparisons to various bands, their sound is their own - and the songs are catchy, musically intelligent and have great lyrics. It's very different from a lot of the overly commercialised stuff around at the moment - don't get me wrong, some of that is great but this is a breath of fresh air. I suppose generally they could be classed as indie - they're more mellow than you might expect from hearing that, but at the same time this is great to dance to and is really uplifting. Tracks like Over and Over Again (Lost & Found) and The Skin of my Yellow Country Teeth are simply beautiful and this album stands being played over and over again itself. This band has great potential and this is a stunning debut.

Girl With a Pearl Earring
Girl With a Pearl Earring
by Tracy Chevalier

5.0 out of 5 stars This is definitely one of the best books I have ever read., 1 Feb. 2004
This book is about a servant girl, Griet, who sometimes seems much older than her 16 years, and who goes to work as a maid in the house of Vermeer, a painter in Holland in the 16th century. She gradually throws the house into more and more turmoil, and Vermeer's mother-in-law regularly comments how they have 'never had so much trouble from a maid'.
The tension evoked between Vermeer and Griet is portrayed with such emotion that it is impossible to put this book down - I read it in a single sitting. This book is for everyone, and I strongly advise you to read it. The descriptions and dialogue are sheer genius, and it is one of those rare books that after reading, you feel as if you have really learnt something important. This is a must have for everyone's bookshelf.

Life for Rent
Life for Rent
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 8 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Life for Rent (Audio CD)
This CD is one of the best I own. With 12 (there is a hidden bonus song on the last track) songs, it is not very many, but they are so good it makes up for it. There is not a song on here I dislike, although my least favourites are Who Makes You Feel and Do You Have A Little Time. My favourites are Don't Leave Home, Sand In My Shoes and See The Sun (including the extra song on the end).
My advice - buy it. You will not be disappointed.

The Bar Sinister: Pride and Prejudice Continues...
The Bar Sinister: Pride and Prejudice Continues...
by Linda Berdoll

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bar Sinister, 8 Jan. 2004
Before reading this book, I had read countless reviews of it, which all seemed to contradict each other, and even after reading the book several times (though I confess, not always in chronological order) I cannot quite decide what I think. The plot is undoubtably excellent, with various storylines all weaving into each other, some continuing from the original P+P, and some Linda Berdoll created herself. The number of twists and turns quite exceeded my expectations, even though I had already picked up hints about the plot from reviews.... I will try not to give any away in this!
Yes, the spelling of Elizabeth with an 's' was annoying, and I can't for the life of me think what possessed her to do it (Thaddeus Collins, another unexplained mystery, and also Pemberley without the last 'e' - grrrrr). However, as I got into the book, I got used to it, and as everyone calls her Lizzy or Mrs Darcy, it doesnt matter.
There are new characters introduced in this, although I confess I did find myself skipping parts involving these, so I could find out about the Darcys - however, I strongly advise you not to do this. Later in the book I had to flip back so I could understand what was going on as these new characters' storylines become involved in the old ones'.
Some of this I did find a little ridiculous, but there were also funny, sad and extremely emotional moments which brought this book up in my esteem. There must have been an enormous amount of planning for this book, and I was quite impressed by the way she used major parts of the original to create new events.
Maybe I am just a hopless romantic, but the Darcys' love for each other did repeatedly bring a smile to my face. The book follows them through times of difficulty and grief as well as the happy times, but their love prevails. I think this book is definitely worth a read - Berdoll has certainly done her research, and if nothing else, this book will bring you an interesting view of 19th century life, in both upper and lower classes.
I really wanted to give this 4 1/2 stars, but sadly yopu cannot do that, so I decided to be positive about it.