Profile for Wokingham Di > Reviews

The Dressmaker
The Dressmaker
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars A clever social commentary, 15 May 2016
This review is from: The Dressmaker (Amazon Video)
On a recent trip to Australia we heard a lot of positive comments about this movie & the book on which it is based. I can now understand why. We were completely absorbed from start to finish. Clever social commentary. Kate Winslet is brilliant in her role.

Sharp Objects
Sharp Objects

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Sharp Objects (Kindle Edition)
After reading "Gone Girl" I had high expectations of "Sharp Objects". Sadly I was very disappointed. The plot is quite thin and predictable and there is no building of tension. I could not engage with the characters - just too two dimensional.

Balancing Act
Balancing Act

4.0 out of 5 stars A really engaging read, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Balancing Act (Kindle Edition)
This is a good family saga. As enjoyable as "The Soldier's Wife". The characters are interesting and likeable and the plot develops at a good pace. A very satisfying read.

Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns
Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns

2.0 out of 5 stars No match for original, 1 Sept. 2013
I read "Devil Wears Prada" some years ago and enjoyed it. This sequel has a very thin, predictable storyline. I found myself skip-reading pages just to get to the end. Disappointing.

RoomMates Repositionable Childrens Wall Stickers - Dinosaurs
RoomMates Repositionable Childrens Wall Stickers - Dinosaurs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 1 Sept. 2013
These stickers are very well designed. Our seven year old grandson positioned them on his bedroom wall at our house. They look impressive and will peel off easily leaving no marks on the wall. Grandson and grandparents all delighted.

Dino Opoly Dinosaurs Game
Dino Opoly Dinosaurs Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Dino Opoly Dinosaurs Game (Toy)
This is the best adaptation of Monopoly that I have come across. Our dinosaur-obsessed grandson (aged 7) loves it. A great way to spend a wet afternoon. As well as being good fun, it encourages little ones to read, count and do simple sums while playing. A very good buy.

The Detective's Daughter
The Detective's Daughter

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 1 Sept. 2013
This is a very well crafted story. I found it totally absorbing from the outset. The characters are interesting and believable. The plot has twists, turns and layers with plenty of tension. I shall be reading more by Lesley Thomson in the future.

Viva Bandana
Viva Bandana

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable lyrics and melodies, 6 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Viva Bandana (Audio CD)
The lyrics of many of the songs are pure poetry. "This is Our Music", "Dancing in the Snow" and "Ten Years Ago" stand out for me. The songs stay with me all day and I love them. Anyone who has a social conscience and enjoys music will love this albumn.

A Place In My Country: In Search Of The Rural Dream
A Place In My Country: In Search Of The Rural Dream

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-crafted and absorbing story, 8 Nov. 2012
Earlier this year we stayed in a Montmarte apartment belonging to Ian Walthew and his wife. I found a copy of this book while browsing the well-stocked bookshelves and was intrigued. Having read the beginning while staying in Paris I was totally sucked in by Ian's wonderful writing and needed to read the book through to the end.Ian's story had me laughing out loud and also moved me to tears. It gives an honest portrayal of rural life in the Cotswolds. I recommend this book without reservation.

Peaches for Monsieur le Curé (Chocolat 3)
Peaches for Monsieur le Curé (Chocolat 3)
by Joanne Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy Di, 13 Aug. 2012
Though not quite as absorbing as "Lollipop Shoes" I did enjoy this book. It was good to catch up with the main characters again and find out what had become of them. If Joanne Harris ever writes "Chocolat 4" I shall feel compelled to read it.

Page: 1 | 2