Profile for DB100 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith
Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 12 Jun. 2016
Good value collection. As previous reviewer said, and Steve Hackett himself has been quoted as saying, this is as close to a Genesis reunion as you are going to get. And with the clock ticking I think he is right. Genesis was always a sum of its parts and as certain parts left it became a different entity. Different people will prefer different periods in their history; it is all down to preference. For me like many, the Steve Hackett period is the part we grew up with.

THE VAULT OF HORROR - Blu-Ray (la boveda de los horrores) - Region B - PAL Daniel Massey, Anna Massey
Dvd ~ Daniel Massey
Offered by GREAT4DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Best version released to date, 24 Feb. 2016
An excellent Blu Ray version of the film. Restoration is first class and has avoided the all too often temptation to use a noise filter to reduce the grain. So many films are over processed in the restoration and instead of producing a “restored version” end up without the grain of the original but also lacking the fine detail, and the colour saturation turned up to the point where they look like a Disney cartoon. Perhaps this is what some people expect, but I prefer a film that has been restored to its original state as opposed to some pseudo version of itself.

Nothing has been cut, and having seen the film when it was first released (as a B movie supporting Legend of Hell House) I can say that the film is complete and unmolested. The ten second still frame one reviewer reported I am sure was always there, probably as a cheap link between scenes that was put in as an afterthought. Amicus films were budget affairs, and cut every corner they could to keep production costs down. The only thing that has been changed is that it has been cropped to widescreen; very few cinemas would have shown films in widescreen in the 70s. I have an original version of the movie and the top and bottom have clearly been cropped in the blu ray version, but having said that it fits modern widescreen TVs better and is therefore ultimately more enjoyable.

Everyone has their own favourite Amicus film. This is my favourite, but unfortunately many people only see the version that was cut to get a PG certificate, and as such gives a poor impression of the film. Content wise, it should be remembered that this is a comic horror film, and a child of its time, and the blu ray version is really aimed at Amicus film fans.

Nikon MB-D14 Multi-Power Battery Pack for Nikon D600/D610
Nikon MB-D14 Multi-Power Battery Pack for Nikon D600/D610

5.0 out of 5 stars Love and hate it at the same time., 12 Oct. 2014
Love the handling the grip imparts to the camera. Hate the fact that the camera needs it. Not a great fan of grips on camera bodies but found the D610 just that tad too small and cramped to handle well on its own. Equivalent Canon bodies are wider and handle well, but Nikon seem to be intent on making their bodies narrower these days. I expect this impression will not apply to everyone; it obviously depends on the size of your hands. However, for what it is, the grip is solid and well made. If you need it, I think it is best to bite the bullet and spend out on the official Nikon grip rather than spend good money on a "it may be ok" third party copy. Bumps up the cost of the camera though. Ouch!

Nikon LC-1424 Slip-on Front Lens Cap for AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
Nikon LC-1424 Slip-on Front Lens Cap for AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED

5.0 out of 5 stars Better value than you might think, 30 Jun. 2014
Whether you think this item is good value or overpriced will largely depend on when and who you buy it from, the price varies. Generally, for a specialist item that you are not going to find anyone other than Nikon making, I think its a fair price. Often spares like this are really exorbitant prices, and lets face it this is one lens cap you REALLY need on a lens with a front element that is so vulnerable. Considering the lens costs WELL over a thousand pounds, if you plan to use the lens a lot it's probably worth making sure you have one of these as a spare.

Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing, 13 May 2014
I still use Nikon cameras because of the sheer amount of glass I have for that system, but last year decided to give Canon a go. The D7 is and older model, but I feel more confident with older designs. They are well proven and normally have all their gremlins eliminated by now. Newer models often tend to suffer from the kind of problems that afflict most "Mark 1" releases of any kind, be it a car or a piece of software (The Nikon D600 saga is a recent example).

I wasn't sure about purchasing this camera because it seemed a lot of money for little spec compared to its Nikon counterparts. I have however been pleasantly surprised by the camera's abilities. Rather than give a rambling review of its features I thought I would simply give a summary of how I feel it compares to Nikon D300.

Build quality is as good. Output quality might differ slightly but is still as good. More mega pixels than the D300 or D7000 but close enough to the D7100 to make no real difference.

Lacks dual card sockets, really miss that. Dual card sockets are not only useful but can be used to guard against card corruption and lost images. Takes flash cards, no real difference in performance these days, more expensive, but at least they don't have that annoying write protect tab that can be accidentally switched over.

Relies more on buttons and menu control that Nikon which tends to have more external switches. Some people will see this as a good thing others will see it as a bad thing. I like it, there is less to accidentally knock or switch accidentally. I have had problems with switches in the past, like the time I grabbed my camera out of it bag to quickly grab a few shots and then afterwards found the AF switch had been knocked to manual.

Good ergonomics. Canon cameras may look like jelly moulds from the front but when held in the hand have a reassuring glove like fit. How much this affects or benefits you may depend on the size of your hands. You really need to hold the cameras to know if it is right for you or not.

I find the rear control wheel far better than Nikon. The thumb wheel at the back of the camera can be used on auto to adjust exposure compensation. Struggling with the Nikon to press the top button and rotate the control wheel at the same time is in my opinion not a good design. May not seem that hard but try doing it at night or in busy situations.

AF seems far better. This may not be true when comparing it to something like a D4, but I find it can lock onto small detail with a tenacity that is not matched by my Nikons. There are of course many aspects to AF performance depending on what type of photography you are undertaking, so don't take that as a definitive judgement.

In summary, a good camera but it is going to largely down to preference. There will always be the occasional lemon in a batch and you might be unlucky whichever camera you buy. (I once bought a Hasselblad that turned out to be the biggest lemon going.) I like it more that I thought I would, but many people will prefer their Nikon/Pentax whatever. If you are reading this because you have not committed to investing in Canon-Nikon or whatever your brand choice is, I would suggest you look at the lenses you might be wanting to buy first. Each brand offers a different range of lenses and that could be a major influence on your choice. Nikon offer a good dx fish eye for around £500. Canon do a zoom fisheye, but that is over 1K, with no cheaper option. Nikon make an excellent 14-24 2.8 lens but it is expensive. Canon make an excellent 17-40mm L lens at a very reasonable price but is only F4. Its swings and roundabouts with each manufacturer, but just how many swings are available will vary with the type of work you intend to do.

Canon EF 40 mm f/2.8 STM Lens - Black
Canon EF 40 mm f/2.8 STM Lens - Black
Offered by Well2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Dinky, 28 April 2014
Probably the best value Canon standard'ish lens at present, well built and nicely finished. Used on a D100 you get a very compact package. Used on a full frame camera you get a slightly wide view that many people will find ideal. Performance is very good, not sure about the STM focusing though. Its small size can be a little too small when changing lenses, I always have visions of it slipping out of my hand. Despite this, at the price it's a little star.

Heavy Duty Clothes Rail - 3ft Black
Heavy Duty Clothes Rail - 3ft Black
Offered by ShopfittingWarehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 28 April 2014
Decent solid little rack. Better than the cheaper items you find in the high street shops. Nice size. Easily assembled without needing any tools, just slots together. If you find the black finish a little too austere for your room you could always repaint it.

Nikon D7100 Digital SLR Camera Body (24.1 MP, 3.2 inch LCD)
Nikon D7100 Digital SLR Camera Body (24.1 MP, 3.2 inch LCD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value Nikon, 28 April 2014
I am not a Nikon fan boy. I use both Nikon and Canon cameras, so this review is not biased. Everyone buys cameras to do different things, and as such everyone has different requirements from a camera. As such, this is an opinion of this camera as it relates to how I use it.

The camera has good high ISO performance, but that was not my reason for buying it. The four main reasons why I bought it were, 1) I already have a lot of Nikon glass 2) I like to do a lot of work in photoshop and the 24mp images give me more scope for cropping and manipulating the image 3) Dual cards slots are very useful in a camera, if not essential to safeguard image corruption 4) this was a much as I wanted to spend on a new camera body at present.

Be aware that 24mp is really pushing the limits of your lenses. I own several gold ring lenses but only one of them really excels on the camera. You need the very best glass here.

If cost was not an issue I would have gone for the 610 or 800. In my opinion D7001 is probably not the best starter camera for a novice, a bit too complicated for starting out with, but it has a lot of flexibility for those who know how to use it. In my opinion, much better than the D7000, which I promptly returned to the shop for a refund two years ago because of focusing problems.
Nikon describe this as an enthusiast camera. I find their categorising of cameras in this way condescending. I have worked in photography long enough to know that I can produce the results I want with any half decent camera and don't need this sort of patronising attitude. Press and sport photographers may need the high ISO and high fps capabilities cameras like the D4 but there are many other types of photography where this camera will do the job just as well, and people need reminding from time to time that it is the photographer who makes the photo not the camera (of course once the machines takeover the world this may no longer be true).

This attitude does not seem to be so prevalent in the USA, where the D7001 can be listed as the second camera on your equipment list on application to the NPS, and it is not referred to as a amateur or enthusiasts camera.

Personally I would like to see a tad more weight to the camera, but many will prefer its lightweight body. All digi cameras are largely plastic now, they just wrap a metal shell around the more expensive models to give it a more rugged feel (and then photographers go and put them in a plastic peli case for protection, which I think is a little ironic). The D7100 is a sort of half metal shelled unit, implying it's a sort of half pro body I suppose. Its internal body and chassis is plastic. However, the camera feels quite solid and well built.

There are many features and improvements on this camera, and I would urge anyone to read one of the many full reviews on it. I could not possibly start to list them here. I think this is now the best value Nikon (if you are going to use all the features) and if like me you already own Nikon glass it's a logical choice. Top features from my point of view are the 24mp sensor and the dual memory card slots. If however you have not invested heavily in Nikon lenses, the Canon D70 also has a lot to offer. The touch screen may not sound like a deal breaker, but once you have used it you really miss it on the Nikon. You may also find its ergonomics better deciding on the size of your hands.

Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4.0 L USM Ultra-Wide Angle Canon EF Zoom Lens - Black
Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4.0 L USM Ultra-Wide Angle Canon EF Zoom Lens - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for an L class lens, 5 Mar. 2014
Like many people I purchased this lens as an upgrade to the kit lens. On a value comparison to the kit lens I would have only given this lens a 2 star rating, it is a lot more expensive and is not going to provide an earth shattering experience or turn you into a pro photographer. However, I am rating this in comparison to similar alternatives in its class, and as such it provides good image and build quality for less money than many other lenses of similar pedigrees. It's build quality is as good as it gets, and it has less weight and bulk than its f2.8 equivalents, particularly important as this is likely to be a lens that gets carried around a lot as opposed to something that gets used in the studio most of the time. It does not have IS, but for me this is not overly important in a wide angle. I think people rely on IS too much. It can be useful, but if you are photographing anything that moves you need a reasonably fast shutter speed anyway. If you are shooting subjects that don't move (still life, landscapes etc) then you should really be using a tripod. 40 years in professional photography have taught me that much.
In conclusion, good lens at a reasonable price in its class. Won't turn you into a pro photographer, but might make you look more like one (definite “cool” factor when fitted to any Canon body). However, if you really feel the need for larger apertures or IS, then you should look at other alternatives.

Canon EF-S Zoom Lens 18 mm - 55 mm - f/3.5-5.6 IS MK II
Canon EF-S Zoom Lens 18 mm - 55 mm - f/3.5-5.6 IS MK II
Offered by Medialand4you

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but very cheeful, 28 Feb. 2014
It was actually my purchase of a replacement L lens for this lens that prompted my to write a review, especially as many people reading this will be considering whether to buy this lens, or one of its more expensive siblings.
I would never get rid of this lens. Despite its modest price and appearance compared to its L red banded big brothers and sisters, it still has some distinct advantages. It's lighter. It's smaller. And despite being cheaper smaller and lighter its performance is often more than adequate. It's IS system is as good as any I have used. Its relatively low price means that if when it eventually goes wrong (and they all do eventually under the law of what moves a lot must wear out) you can afford to bin it and replace it with a newer version. Even if I didn't use it very often now, it would still be taken along as a lightweight backup.
Its not financial good sense for the camera industry to promote its cheaper lenses. The last thing they want is for a well known professional photographer to be seen using a kit lens. And despite Bert Hardy going out of his way to prove that the best photos can be taken with the cheapest equipment with his iconic Blackpool Railings photo, many amateurs still crave exotic lenses. Some people may criticise its distortion performance or edge definition, but quite frankly if I was doing work where these things were that important I would use a fixed focal length lens.
So, in short, don't underestimate this lens, and I speak as someone who has used and worked with some very expensive cameras and lenses in my time. It may look and feel like a cheap toy, but its performance is far from poor.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3