Profile for DB100 > Reviews

Joby JB01257-BWW-NA Ultra Fit Camera Strap for Men - Black
Joby JB01257-BWW-NA Ultra Fit Camera Strap for Men - Black
Offered by MemoryC

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative Design, 19 April 2013
A well made strap, tad pricy. Pros and cons when compared to the Black Rapid are, on the upside, I think Joby's screw fitting to the camera is better designed and less likely to come loose, but on the down side its harder to check that it is still tight when you are out and about compared to the black rapid that is quite easy to check.
Quite a lot of plastic here, but it is of good quality and quite frankly I would have more faith in its strap-to-camera fitment than the Black Rapid Carabiner style fitting, which although well made is made of alloy and not steel. I don't know the nature of the alloy they use but it is strange that they did not make it out of stainless steel when the weight difference would be negligible. I would have had far more faith in a steel clip. I do still however have faith in the reinforced plastic on the Jobby fitment. This sort of plastic has proved its worth in unbreakable equipment cases that have virtually replaced their metal forerunners.
If I need to use a strap this is a good option, and better than the standard strap concept. I don't see any problem in using the tripod mount to connect the camera.The tripod mount is designed to hold the camera on a tripod with long lenses. My 300mm zoom lens will put more strain (and considerable leverage) on the camera tripod mount when used on a tripod than the mounting point would normally experience when just being carried on the strap. Occasionally people complain about the camera coming loose and falling off the strap. I am yet to be convinced this could happen if it is fitted properly. The part of the Jobby strap that screws into the tripod socket swivels on ball bearings so no matter how much it swings it should not loosen. I remember standing at Liverpool Street station many years ago when I saw someone's "conventional strap" give way dropping their camera onto the station. Basically, any strap can fail, wheels fall off cars and planes fall out of the sky. It happens unfortunately and I expect there will always be horror stories about strap failure.
Some people resent paying so much for a strap. I find the attitude strange when you consider that you are often dangling several thousand pounds of equipment from it. It is also a piece of equipment that can be used with virtually any camera, and won't become obsolete every time the pixel count goes up.

BlackRapid Wrist Strap for Camera with 5 Year Product Warranty
BlackRapid Wrist Strap for Camera with 5 Year Product Warranty

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product poor value, 15 April 2013
Good product but the price is way off. The strap doesn't even include the FastenR3 adapter without which you cannot attach it to the camera. . I was aware it did not include the R3 when I purchased it, but fortunately I knew I already had the neck strap complete with the R3. Others may not be so fortunate. You could make something like this for a fraction of the price. I have made a strap for my second camera using a strip of webbing and a key ring clip to attach it to the R3. Cost me about 99p and in some ways I find it better than the paid version, less noisy and more secure. So at a real price of near £30 (with R3)this strap is in my opinion way overpriced. If the price had included the R3 I would have said it was expensive but worth it. Excluding the R3Fastner it is coming close to deception, especially when they show it in the photographs of the product and even worse on the front of the packaging with a small note, in the instructions on the back, saying that it is "sold separately".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2014 10:00 PM GMT

Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera Body Only (12.3MP) 3 inch LCD
Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera Body Only (12.3MP) 3 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value Nikon, 3 Dec. 2012
I bought this camera as a second body to my D300s, as something that was lighter to carry when out and about, but still able to perform at a similar level to the D300s. I originally purchased a D7000 but it had serious AF issues and I was generally underwhelmed by the camera, especially after all the hype. The D90 in comparison was not only cheaper but felt more serious to me, and although light weight it feels solid and well built. Out of the box it produces images that are crisp and focused, and retains much of the functionality of the D300s.

The D90 comes from a long run of cameras, evolving from the D70 and D80. As such it may seem a little dated but it is a well tested design which over almost 9 years has been refined and developed into something which is reliable and bug free. The dual sd/ flash card facility on the D300s is something I have found useful but not essential, so I am happy with the single card facility on the D90.

I have worked in and taught in the photographic business for 35 years. I know that photographers come in all shapes and sizes, and are all placed somewhere between the artist at one end and the technical mechanic at the other. The point you are situated on that line will dictate what you look for in a camera, some people will find the D90 too complicated (many experienced photographers still only feel comfortable with film cameras) whereas others will find it lacks the settings and buttons they love to play with. The type of work you do also dictates what you look for in a camera, to a sports photographer 9fps may be a must whereas a studio photographer is unlikely to have any need for it.

If the D90 does not have the specs you require then it is unlikely you will be reading this, if you have a budget available that looks like a telephone number it is also unlikely you will be reading this. This camera is ideal for anyone who does not require specialist facilities on a camera, but wants something that can take photographs that, for all practical purposes, will be as good as those produced by any other camera. A camera with full manual override that allows the experienced photographer to use the skills he has to the full, and the beginner the opportunity to develop those skills when they are ready. It may be an older design at the end of its run, but it is still a very capable camera, it's much cheaper than the 7K, and the money saved can be put towards extra lenses which are always a good investment. Every digital camera eventually ends up as a paper weight, something I know only too well having spend out 5k on a D1 many years ago and even more on a Hasselblad and Mamiya kit before that, but at the sort of price you can pick a D90 up for at the moment you should get your money's worth out of it before it ends up on the shelf.

Nikon D7000 Digital SLR Camera Body Only (16.2MP) 3 inch LCD - (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss, 21 Nov. 2012
I bought this as a second camera body to my D300s. First impressions were that it was definitely no D300, and felt lightly built and plastic in comparison. However, I was prepared to accept this, its light weight could also be an advantage, but after initial test the focussing was so poor with some of my lenses (even with back focus adjusted) that I returned it for a refund. During the time I had to use it it was evident that although it produced better quality images than the D300 it was only a marginal difference (in raw) and most people would never have noticed it in real world situations. Most people, however, would have noticed the images that were out of focus, demonstrating that in my opinion reliability is more important than quality, especially when the gain is only marginal.

My conclusion of this experience is that if you are going to pay this much for a camera perhaps it's better to pay the extra for a professional build quality model, or go for cheaper models like the D3100 that, despite being less than half the price can take excellent photos. I am sure there are some excellent versions of this model out there, but there are obviously quite a few bad ones as well. I am sure there are also people out there who think they have a good one, but may not (yet) have used it with a lens that miss-focuses (people have indicated fast wide angles as being the most likely to cause problems). I accept cameras can break down or stop working, it happens, but cameras that have intermittent faults are really of no use to anyone. I can correct exposure or colour in Photoshop, I can retouch dust, but I cannot refocus an image that is badly focussed. There are plenty of people who have reported this problem and it has now been in production long enough for Nikon to have eradicated it. AF in modern day cameras should now be consistent and accurate considering how long the technology has been in use.

Ultimately I have decided to pass on this model. Even if I find one that appears to be working fine I will always be wondering if the AF problem will resurface at some time. I have given this model only one star because I believe although it can be a great camera but the possibility of having this sort of problem with a camera in this price band is unacceptable. I find Amazon reviews an excellent gauge for camera quality, and you will definitely see different trends for different camera models.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2015 10:14 AM GMT

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive Glass, 14 Aug. 2012
Short review, to the point. The lens is basically exactly what you would expect from a lens that cost this amount (although possibly slightly less). People rave about the lens but it is very expensive and doesn't offer much more than its cheaper cousin the Nikon 24-85 2.8-f4, which only cost half as much. In fact the latter offers less distortion and longer range. The 24-70 may produce a little more quality, but if you are working professionally, I doubt your clients would notice. In the end, you make your choice and you pay your money. A lot of lens but also a lot of money.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2014 12:49 AM GMT

Nikon 18-135MM F3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX
Nikon 18-135MM F3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and lightweight, 21 July 2012
This lens, sadly discontinued now, was in my opinion one of the best budget lenses Nikon made. Although lacking VR its makes up for it with its lightweight and compact size. I have lenses costing ten times the price of this yet in real world photography this lens can hold its own against them all. Fit it on something like a lightweight D3100 or D3200 and you have something that is small and light but can pack a real punch. When I use a lens like this I really question why I have spent out so much on more expensive versions, and tell myself that I should spend less time worrying about things like edge performance on lenses and more time taking photographs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2013 9:08 AM GMT

Adobe Photoshop CS6, Upgrade Version from Photoshop CS5 and Photoshop Extended CS5 (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars End of an era?, 26 Jun. 2012
As with many of Adobes recent upgrades I think this is little more that a cosmetic makeover and addition of a few tweaks here and there. Some may be useful to some people, but most people will not find it a life changing experience. Some of the features that people are promoting as new, such as crop outside the frame, have actually been possible in photoshop for years but are perhaps not so obvious. Auto save is of little use to serious users who are used to hitting ctrl s when they want to save rather than waiting for the computer to do the job for them. Adaptive wide angle could be useful if you shoot a lot of extreme wide angle, but the existing lens controls are more than enough for most people.

What is more important about this upgrade is that it is in effect obligatory if you wish to stay with the program. From now on if you fail to take the upgrade the next upgrade will not be available to you. Ultimately this means that when you eventually change your computer/operating system you may need to repurchase the full program, or if things go the way Adobe plan, a subscription. Registration is now obligatory for the program to run in addition to activation. That means little privacy as Adobe harvest details about your computer, ip address, and programs installed and whatever else they feel appropriate. It also makes the program virtual impossible to resell should you want to at a later date. The cost of upgrading an existing program on a 12 or 24 month cycle is now approaching the equivalent of around £10 a month, a continual ongoing cost for each Adobe program, and that is on top of the original purchase price. It would seem that this upgrade marks the end of an era for Adobe users, with "more stick than carrot" and a move away from selling the program purely on merit. It's a far cry from the days when photoshop upgrades used to come with major improvements, a fully bound hard copy of the manual, a second cd with extra material and training tutorials, all fully boxed.

I have always used Adobe programs and upgraded them on a regular basis, but have always felt it important that this was by choice and I had the option to defer. The upgrade seems to me to be more of a major step towards an Orwellian future wrapped up in the guise of creative freedom. As such there has probably never been a better time to start looking at alternatives. However, in the meantime it may be worth purchasing this upgrade before it goes up in price, other Adobe programs upgrades are already ominously around £30 more than this one at present. For the corporate user who gets use of the program every day the cost involved is negligible, but for the average user the cost represents a far higher percentage of their income and they need a more certain future for that investment. I have used this program professionally for 18 years and always recommended it to people in the past, but would now be dubious about paying for the full program with such an uncertain future ahead of it. A real shame for such a potentially excellent and well loved piece of software, and that is why I think this is a 1 star upgrade for a 5 star program.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2014 8:18 PM BST

Nikon 24-85MM F2.8-4D AF ZOOM NIKKOR
Nikon 24-85MM F2.8-4D AF ZOOM NIKKOR

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 19 May 2012
The bottom line with this lens is that it is less than half the price of the 24-70mm f/2.8G, which is hard to justify unless it is a lens you are using every day all day. My main reason for buying this lens was that it has a large 2.8 aperture but a much cheaper price than the 24-70. This reduces to f4 at its longest end, but in practice in normal use this means if you work in 24-55 range most of the time you are only losing half a stop. It doesn't have vr but vr is not really such an issue in shorter focal lengths and the subject matter often dictates the need for a faster shutter speed anyway. Build quality is certainly good enough.

My personal experience with this lens is that it seemed optimised more for mid distance range subjects and the results on landscape type shots has been rather disappointing. This may be just a batch variation, but given that the lens has a macro focus setting it is quite possible that this is how it was designed.
In summary, I think this is a good lens for people/portrait type work on an FX camera and general all rounder on a FX. If the 24-70mm f/2.8G plummeted in price I would buy that, but I don't think that will happen. For landscape or architectural work I would opt of a cheaper small aperture zoom or fixed lens and spend the money saved on a good tripod.

Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit (14.2MP) 3 inch LCD
Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit (14.2MP) 3 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality and good value, 31 Mar. 2012
I have been in photography for many years and worked with a large range of cameras. Usually I use a D300s most of the time, but I bought a D3100 for casual photography and for those times when I didn't really feel like carry something that felt like a brick on a rope.

I love the size and shape of this camera, it reminds me of the old Olympus OM1 series. Not only is it easier to carry but it is much less visually intimidating than the larger models and allows you to be less conspicuous it you are photographing in public places. Its image quality far surpasses what most people will ever need unless you regularly print your work out billboard size. I think if people realised the full potential of this camera Nikon would not sell nearly as many of its more up market models. If it is not producing the results you require then the problem is more likely to be with the user than the camera. Unless you require special features like a high speed motor drive it is hard to see why this camera would not deliver what you need. Its viewfinder is not as big as its more expensive siblings, but unless you are using manual focus lenses I don't see why this should be an issue. If you have a basic grasp of digital cameras then you should find this refreshingly intuitive.

I have have been using it for a week and have not yet felt the need to take the instruction manual out of its wrapper yet. OK, it may not be my first choice for press or studio work, but the fact remains that for most of the people most of the time this is as much, if not more, than you are likely to need. In summary, in my opinion this camera more than makes up for any short comings it may have in performance by its light weight, price, and excellent handling. There is little reason why you cannot produce photographs with it that are as good as any camera could take.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2012 10:33 PM BST

Hoodman H-LPP3 HoodLoupe 3.0 Professional 3-Inch Screen Loupe [Camera]
Hoodman H-LPP3 HoodLoupe 3.0 Professional 3-Inch Screen Loupe [Camera]

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, like all good equipment, 7 Jan. 2012
Those who feel this item is too expensive need to take into account the extra cost of imported American goods together with the fact that professional photographic equipment is, and never has been, cheap. As such (and as is typical with camera equipment) it may appear to be a lot of money for what it is, but you are unlikely to find a cheaper alternative that's as good. It may not have quite the top quality optics it claims but this must be viewed in context of something that costs nearly a quarter of the price of a Hasselblad magnifying hood or around a fifth of the price of a Cambo SLR Viewing Loupe.

Basically you get what you pay for, and in the context of professional photographic equipment the Hoodman viewing loupe is a fair price (at least in the context of expensive photographic equipment). I have not been able to use it enough to know just how useful it will eventually be, but its rubberised exterior gives it a good "easy to hold" feel. Only gripe so far is that the black shiny interior of the loupe is very reflective, and a little matting would have improved the clarity of the image.

One of the great benefits of digital imaging is the ability to see the image immediately and have the opportunity to correct the exposure or settings and retake it. This item allows you to make best use of that advantage.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3