Profile for Film Buff > Reviews

Content by Film Buff

Film Buff (Nottingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
MR SLEEPS BEDS
MR SLEEPS BEDS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, 30 Mar. 2012
This review is from: MR SLEEPS BEDS
Very pleased with this...

The headboard looks more expensive than it really is & is quite stylish.

The faux leather is also very realistic (you can tell it's not the real thing if you stroke it, or put your nose right up against it & sniff, but from a few feet away, it looks like real leather)

One reviewer complained their headboard arrived without slats (and I believe them) But I can confirm that my headboard had both slats & screws.

The headboard does have a bit of a plastic smell when it is first unwrapped, but this fades after a few days (and to be fair, it is normal for this kind of product)

Delivery was also very prompt.

In summary, a good looking headboard, good value for money, no complaints at all
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2012 6:28 PM BST

SolarCentre Thea Solar Garden Spotlight
SolarCentre Thea Solar Garden Spotlight
Offered by SolarCentre®

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great in winter months, 30 Mar. 2012
I purchased this light because of the good reviews (but if you check the review dates you will see they were mostly written in June-early Sept)

When I first turned this light on, I was very disappointed by the amount of light it gave out (The LEDs were on, but the illumination was minimal, a bush approx 1-2 feet away was barely lit)

I then re-read the instructions & realised I was supposed to charge the light for 40 hours before use. So I moved the light to a spot in my garden that has more sunlight & left the light outside, but switched off for 7 days (it was late Oct/early Nov, so the days were getting short)

When I switched the light on again, after seven days charging, I saw a big improvement (The light was still nowhere near as bright as a mains powered security light, but maybe 10-20 times brighter than before)

However, the next day it was back to it's dim self. A week later, it was still no better (almost no illumination)

Since then there have been a few sunnier days when it's given off a reasonable light for between 4-6 hours. But a soft ambient light, rather than a bright light.

In conclusion, this light might be fine in sunny climates, or if you only need a light during UK summer evenings. But if you want a light that lasts all night, or works all through the winter then it is not up to the job.

HTC Desire Novoskins Black Executive Slider Case
HTC Desire Novoskins Black Executive Slider Case

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 29 Nov. 2010
Frankly, I'm very disappointed with this. On opening the box, my reaction was why did I pay £12 for this?

Despite the vendors description, in my opinion it looks cheap and makes the phone look cheap. It seems to be made from black, thin card, with a dimpled texture (I'm not saying, it is actually made from card, just that's how it looks) It looks more like something you would buy for £3-£4 from a market, than an "executive" case.

It's also a poor fit, there's a big gap at the top & some of the cut out sections don't properly overlap.

It offers minimal screen protection (it doesn't cover the screen at all) and it's actually hard to drag down the notification bar at the top of the HTC Desire's screen, because the case overlaps it.

Being positive, it does offer some protection from basic scratches & dirty finger marks (though I'm not convinced the case will take a lot of wear & tear) and it is easy to get the phone in & out of the case.

My advice is to shop around, I'm sure you can find something a lot cheaper, or much better quality, probably both.

Babylon A.D. (1-Disc Edition) [DVD] [2008]
Babylon A.D. (1-Disc Edition) [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Vin Diesel
Offered by Discs4all

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, but better than expected, 2 April 2010
I pretty much agree with the review by Amazon's Jon Foster.

I stayed away from this film because it had such a critical mauling, but finally watched it when it was on Sky Movies & was pleasantly surprised.

It really is a film of two parts. The first part (set in various areas of Eastern Europe) for me worked well. It was atmospheric & moody, with some good attention to detail. Some scenes definately reminded me a little of Children Of Men & I really started to think this was going to be a classic Sci Fi thriller.

But then the second part (USA based) begins. I don't know if this is true, but it really did feel like the writers had started with a good premise & a reasonable budget, but then just thrown together an ending as the money & time ran out. It was cliched, ridiculous & unconvincing.

I'd probably give the first part of the film four stars & the second part two stars, so I'm going to average that to three stars.

In summary, nowhere as awful as some people would have you believe (at least until the end) Definately, a mindless action flick, but with a certain amount of style & originality. Not a bad nights entertainment, but with more effort it could have been something great...

BLACK THERMAL FINGERLESS GLOVES
BLACK THERMAL FINGERLESS GLOVES
Offered by Earland Brothers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 20 Jan. 2010
From the photo these gloves appear to be just wool, but they are actually padded & quite thick. As a result they are very warm (I've worn them when it's -10C and fairly windy, but my hands were still nice & warm)

The glove fingers are surprisingly long (I have longish fingers & the gloves cover over 3/4 of my fingers) but still leave the finger tips uncovered, so it's easy to pick things up etc.

The wrists are also a good length (so you avoid that draughty feeling between where the glove ends & your coat sleeve begins)

The material has a slightly elastic quality which means they provide a snug fit, but are not too tight (or too loose)

The only fault I can find with these gloves, is being made from a wool like material they are a little prone to snagging & becoming bobbly (but at such a low price, it's no big deal to replace them every 1-2 years)

All in all, these are good quality, warm gloves, at a superb low price. I can recommend them without hesitation.

Logitech Squeezebox Boom
Logitech Squeezebox Boom

5.0 out of 5 stars Gadget heaven, 29 Jun. 2009
The squeezebox's black design may not be to everyone's taste, but it does go well alongside any other black kit you may have (and it doesn't look as cheap in real life, as in the photo)

As soon as you pull this out of the box, you realise it's no cheap radio/alarm (it weighs about the same as house brick)

I've seen some reviewers complain setup is bad, because the menus are slow, but I'm guessing this is caused by early versions of firmware, or their WiFi connection, because I've found the menus appear almost instantly.

How easy it is to setup will depend on which of the squeezebox's facilities you want to use & how the security on your router & firewall is configured...

If you're lucky, you could be listening to internet radio within a couple of minutes, or you may spend a couple of hours scratching your head, only to realise you need to untick a box on the router setup screen. Eitherway, it's well worth the effort.

The sound will only be as good as the radio station you listen to. But with the right station and for a device of this size/price the sound is impressive, the bass has real punch, but doesn't muffle the treble. OK, it's not going to match a £1000 set of speakers, but there is some warmth & detail too (even What HiFi magazine gave it a good write up)

There are two ways to use the squeezebox:
1) SqueezeNetwork
This is a web site, it allows you access hundreds/thousands of web radio stations, which can be browsed by country, genre etc (either MP3, WMA or Ogg, but not Real format stations. Which means you can access national BBC stations, but not local BBC stations)

You can also access numerous music services. Though some of them aren't available outside the states (E.g. Pandora & Rhapsody) and others charge a fee, but that still leaves the likes of Last FM, MP3Locker & Deezer, which are all free.

Integration with Last FM works really well, you can add items to your library & even play the "similar artist" radio stations

While Deezer offers yet more radio stations & a free online locker for your MP3s.

Podcasts can also be played & RSS feeds can be displayed. The display is (in my opinion) too small for RSS news headlines, but it's OK for viewing details of the latest BBC pod casts.

You can also create a "Favorites" list of radio stations, podcasts & RSS feeds.

2) Squeezeconnect
Is an alternative to using Squeezenetwork. It uses software running on your PC. It can do everything that squeezenetwork can do, plus you can stream your music collection to the squeezebox (providing the PC is switched on)

It also recognises/imports your iTunes playlists (note, it can only stream MP3 & iTunes Plus tracks, not DRM protected tracks. But I guess you could work around this, by just connecting your ipod directly to the squeezebox)

It also supports plugins, so you can play Real format radio stations and (in theory) any other format that comes along in the future.

The clock/alarm facility also works well. The clock face is big & bright enough to be easily seen. The snooze button is fairly big & positioned on top of the box, so it's easy to push.

The alarm itself can also be configured to come on just on certain days, activate snooze after various periods of time, fade music in/out etc etc.

In fact, just about everything the squeezebox is highly customisable & you could probably spend a day just experimenting with all the options.

Finally, there's connectivity. The box has an ethernet port, Line In (which means you can connect an iPod, but note the top of the squeezebox slopes, so your iPod dock will have to go by the side or front) and Line Out (so you can connect to an Amp/speakers)

Is there anything wrong with this device?

Well the power plug is rather fat, so may take up two power sockets & it's slightly annoying you have to use squeezeconnect to access Real format radio stations, otherwise, I am totally happy with this gadget.

Remember how your Sky+ changed the way you watched TV & the ipod changed how you bought/listened to music, well this will do the same for radio (in fact, you may find even your ipod becomes neglected)

In summary, a flexible/highly customisable radio, alarm, music streaming device, that's easy to use, with good sound. I am very happy with my purchase & can thoroughly recommend this!

Canon Digital IXUS 100 IS Digital Camera - Black (12.1 MP, 3.0x Optical Zoom) 2.5 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good compact camera, 12 Jun. 2009
I already own a Nikon DSLR, which is a fine camera, but it can be a bit heavy to carry for long distances (plus I sometimes feel a bit nervous carrying it around my neck in inner city areas)

I decided to buy something small & light, but that also took reasonably good photos, for a budget of approx £200. After reading various reviews, I opted for the IXUS 100.

With it's matt black case & rounded corners, it looks very smart. But that thing that really strikes you, is how tiny it is!!!

This camera is the same width/height as a credit card & approx the same thickness as a small matchbox. It will easily fit in your shirt pocket, or back jeans pocket.

But is it too small? No, it's fine. I have largish hands & have had no real problems (the buttons are small, but no too small & they are well spaced out, so you don't accidentally click the wrong one)

The image quality is also very good (clear, sharp, with rich colours & very little noise)

I was worried that the flash looked puny. But I took a test shot, just before dusk, with the curtains drawn & no lights on. I could barely see the subject through the view finder, but the final photograph was fine (it had a slight yellow hue, which is common for flash photos, but no discernable noise, with all the detail very clear, even though I was 7-8 feet from the subject)

The view finder is very tiny (you have to move you eye right up to the camera & squint) But at least it has a view finder (a lot of compacts don't)

As with all compacts the view finder doesn't give an exact likeness of your photo (you need an SLR for that) But the final photo has slightly more content around the side (which I prefer to framing a subject in my view finder, only to find it's been cropped off in the final photo)

The camera comes with a wrist strap, battery, charger, manuals & software, but does NOT include a memory card (though I have seen other reviewers saying they did get a memory card, so perhaps only later editions have it missing) OK, these are cheap, but it does mean you can't use the camera "straight out of the box".

A 2Gb card will probably be sufficient, I have an 8Gb and it will hold 2471 photos.

Battery life is quoted as just over 200 photos (with the LCD screen on) but if you use flash, take videos etc then I suspect you will get nearer 150 shots (and therefore may want to buy a second battery, if you're planning a long photo session)

The LCD screen is also reasonably large (given the size of the camera) and with brightness set at 40%, I could just about see it on a very sunny day.

The image stabilisation also seems to work well, & I've yet to take a blurry photo, even when taking photos in low light.

In summary, this is a tiny, lightweight camera, that takes good photos (probably as good as can be expected for a camera of this cost/type) Only, a couple of very minor niggles, prevent me from giving it five stars.

Dead Man [DVD]
Dead Man [DVD]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by Unity Goods

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but interesting, 17 April 2009
This review is from: Dead Man [DVD] (DVD)
I have to say that Dead Man isn't a total success and won't appeal to everyone.

It's a quirky mix of art house, black comedy, gothic horror and sometimes even manages to be a western.

If it had stuck to just 2 of these genres it might have been a masterpiece, but because it jumps from genre to genre, it is a little uneven.

The story is also rather slight (most of the film consists of Depp wondering along gut shot, looking dazed, or people sitting around having bizarre conversations)

The performances are also variable. Gabriel Byrne & Alfred Molina are great, but both have only cameo roles that don't last more than a couple of minutes.

Johnny Depp seems less comfortable in the early scenes, but improves later on. Whilst Gary Farmer never really convinced me as the spiritual Native American (though I'm sure others will find him hilarious)

But despite this, the film is far from a disaster.

At times it's genuinely atmospheric or funny.

As for the DVD itself, The black & white (with a slight green hue)photography is often georgeous. It is very sharp, with good black levels & no grain or dirt.

Neil Young's haunting guitar soundtrack is just great (probably the best thing about the film) It is only stereo (and I can't help thinking it would have been even better in 5:1) But there's plenty of action between left/right speakers with no noticed hiss or crackling.

In summary, I've no doubt that some people will find this film too quirky and/or too boring. But if you enjoy unusual film making, or perhaps enjoyed Ghost Dog then I would strongly recommend checking this out.

Contracted To The Devil
Contracted To The Devil
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music, mediocre sound, 14 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Contracted To The Devil (Audio CD)
Robert Johnson is a Blues legend and many of his best tracks are here (though you can get a compilation with all his recordings for only £1-£2 more)

The music itself is great, but recording quality is not so great (there are some crackles & background hiss on numerous tracks and some tracks sound rather flat)

To be fair, many of these tracks were recorded as long ago as the 1930s, so the quality is never going to be up to the standard as a modern recording. But still, it did spoil my enjoyment and consequently, I don't listen to this CD as often as others in my collection.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2012 9:34 AM BST

Flex L941 Mains Desk Lamp - Brushed Chrome Finish
Flex L941 Mains Desk Lamp - Brushed Chrome Finish

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy customer, 11 Mar. 2009
I'm very pleased with this lamp (in fact, I've now bought 3 of them)

It looks modern & stylish and goes well in almost any room/decor.

It also has a small footprint, can be adjusted to almost any angle and (unlike a lot of lamps) has an on/off switch on the base (making it ideal for a bedside lamp)

My only complaint is that it doesn't come with a bulb (though to be fair, this is clearly stated in the specifications)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4