Profile for Suze > Reviews

The Forgotten Garden
The Forgotten Garden
by Kate Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Magic, 25 July 2008
This review is from: The Forgotten Garden (Paperback)
While I greatly enjoyed The House at Riverton, I enjoyed this one even more.

There wasn't a dull moment and towards the end I just couldn't put it down. Kate Morton weaves a wonderful tale full of twists and turns. The story moves between the 1900s, 1975 and 2005 and tells the story of Eliza, Nell and Cassandra.

Beautiful and unputdownable, I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Rather than the span of years boring me, I found it added to the tension of the story and built up a detailed history of the main characters. For me, the best parts of the book, were the wonderfully created fairytales that were so skillfully brought to life.

Length has never really bothered me and it didn't here. Yes it's long to a degree, but it needs to be to really tell the story that spans three generations. Kate Morton doesn't skimp on detail, by the end you really have a sense and feel of her characters and the places she takes them.

The Reading Group
The Reading Group
by Elizabeth Noble

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice read, 26 Mar. 2008
This review is from: The Reading Group (Paperback)
I'm one of the ones who liked this book. I couldn't put it down and read well into the early hours of the morning to finish it. I laughed and cried with the characters. It was a nice, easy read and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Apple iPod 80GB Video/Black (5th Generation)
Apple iPod 80GB Video/Black (5th Generation)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 2 July 2007
I had an Ipod Nano (1st generation) 2gb before this for abou ttwo years. I have to say, I never once had a problem with it in all that time. My brother and sister-in-law also have Ipods, they've never had problems either. Sound quality is excellent, I ditched the Apple headphones in favour of a pair of Phillips bud earphones. I now have a JBL Radial to plug the Ipod in at home, and the sound quality is superb, it also charges my Ipod. I really like this Ipod, it's not too heavy, takes my entire song collection with room for more and movies too. Acutally, my only gripe with it lies in the fact that I don't seem to be able to buy movies on the UK Itunes Store, and it won't let me purchase from the US store. Ripping DVDs seems extremely complicated also. So, it is a little frustrating that the main feature I bought this for, I can't actually use at the moment. I am hoping, though, that either I've missed something somewhere, or the UK Itunes store will start selling movies soon. That's an Apple (or me) issue though. Otherwise, I have no complaints about this (or my 2gb Nano), and have had nothing but good performance out of my Ipods for the past two years.

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (2 Disc Edition) [DVD] [2005]
Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (2 Disc Edition) [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Timothy Spall
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 5 Jun. 2006
Although the third film still remains my favourite by far, this certainly delivered as far as I'm concerned. Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort was wonderfully scary, Brendan Gleeson was surprsingly funny as the paranoid Mad Eye Moody and put in a star performance. The Weasley twins are more refined, David Tennant was delightfully freaky as Barty Crouch and Miranda Richardson was well cast for Rita Skeeter as were Stanislav Ianevski as Krum, Pedja Bjelac as Karkaroff and Robert Pattinson as Diggory. The special effects were fantastic (to my untrained eye anyway) and although much of the story had to be cut out, I can't say that I particularly noticed or was too bothered by it, the story seemed to fit together just fine. The leads have certainly improved yet again and the older veteran actors; Michael Gambon, Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith put in great performances as usual with a welcome return to Jason Isaacs as the deliciously evil Lucius Malfoy. My only bone of contention (surprisingly) is the way they did Sirius' appearance in the fire and that his appearance was sadly brief. Admittedly, I wasn't sure how I felt about the film after the first viewing but a second and a third look have made sure that it has well and truly grown on me. Putting aside that much of the book has been cut, what you have been left with is still a very coherent mix of suspense, fear and humour that makes one thoroughly enjoyable film.

Pride & Prejudice - 2005 [DVD]
Pride & Prejudice - 2005 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a bit rushed, 5 Jun. 2006
This film on its own is beautiful, poigniant even and can probably not go far wrong for anyone who wants to watch a period romance. However, it is when the film is compared to the book that it does begin to fall down. The film feels rather rushed, there is not a lot of time to get to know the main characters, the language has been somewhat modernised which does detract from the feel of the film. The scandal of Wickam and Lydia's marriage is downplayed by the fact that you never really see Wickam for very long and are not given time to appreciate how involved Lizzy becomes with him. Bingley, for some unfathomable reason, is portrayed as being a bit of an idiot instead of just amiable which does make you wonder what the intelligent and beautiful Jane sees in him. All this can be overcome, however, with the excellent portrayal of Darcy and Lizzy by Keira Knightly and Matthew Macfadyen. Although Colin Firth managed to make the pride in Darcy's character more marked, both performances are equally good in their own. Dame Judi Dench is, of course, outstanding and true to character and form as Lady Catherine DeBourgh. If you're looking for something true to the book, the BBC series will probably satisfy more but if you're looking for a period romance with more modern overtones which will make you cry then this, I'm sure, will do just fine.

The Wizard of Oz (2 Disc Special Edition) [1939] [DVD]
The Wizard of Oz (2 Disc Special Edition) [1939] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Judy Garland
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, great clean up, great extras!, 4 Dec. 2005
This is one of those amazing films that doesn't fail to enchant through to adulthood. I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting Dorothy's journey through Oz, being scared by the Wicked Witch of the West and being charmed by Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion. This is definitely one for adults and children alike. The musical numbers are also just as entertaining this time around. They have done a fantastic job cleaning up the picture, the quality is topnotch, the transition from black and white to colour is even more startling. There is a second disc with some fab extras, including deleted scenes, the story of other actors who were almost cast and several behind the scenes documentaries, including interviews with the Munchkins! A great classic to add to your DVD collection.

Five Children And It [DVD] [2004]
Five Children And It [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Kenneth Branagh

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not particularly faithful., 3 Dec. 2005
On its own this was a good film. The basic premise is there, five children, an it and some wishes which fade at sunset. This was a fun, funny movie with the appropriate lump in your throat moments. I enjoyed it but wasn't so keen on how estranged Robert seemed to be from his brothers and sisters. Kenneth Brannagh and Zoe Wannamaker were topnotch of course and Eddie Izzard provides much amusement as It. This film isn't particularly faithful to the book by E. Nesbit, only a few basic points correspond at all and if you're looking for something that will compliment the book then you might be better off going for the BBC mini series. If, however you're looking for a fun movie to watch with the kids then I would definitely recommend this one.

Welcome to the Wasteland
Welcome to the Wasteland

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent second album from a great new band., 1 Dec. 2005
Welcome to the Wasteland is the definitive second album from unsigned Glasgow band Logan. Entirely self funded this album, clearly influenced by Nickelback and Creed, does not fail to impress.
With pounding drums, strong vocals and guitar solos abound, Logan put themselves forward with a heavy rock album filled with melodic overtones that doesn’t worry about holding back.
The album drifts into the anthemic From the Moment I Wake before pounding into a strong rocky chorus reminiscent of Creed. The superb Gone bounds to life with a succession of heavy, clashing guitars before giving way to the moody and lyrical Time Has Gone with it soaring and powerful middle sections.
Something Else is a melodic and passionate rock song which bursts into heavy Alter Bridge style guitar riffs before dipping back to Nickelback-esque choruses. The melancholy Show Me The Way gently coasts into soaring guitar solos and strong vocals.
Like a Rain swaggers into life as a growling and colourful rock song with frenzied guitars, rhythmic drums and gutsy vocals.
Their slowest song Hey Mary begins with a haunting piano intro and harmonies before dissolving into strong bluesy rock and wailing guitars. The final song Feel Me is a dramatic heavy metal number which draws the album to its close leaving you wishing for more.
There is not a duff song on this album and the quality is astonishing considering it is self produced, you wouldn’t guess that this is an unsigned band. I was very impressed and loved the combination of heavy rock and melody. One to buy if you love rock and bands like Creed, Nickelback and Alter Bridge.

Shadowmancer
Shadowmancer
by G. P. Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great, 30 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Shadowmancer (Paperback)
I have to say when I picked this book up I was really anticipating a great read. Unfortunatly, for me it didn't deliver. I found it difficult to get into, it just didn't grip me as I'd expected it to. Having said that it was an interesting story and I have no doubt there are plenty of people out there who would really enjoy it. For me it was just average and I probably won't read it again. I've noticed it has been compared to Harry Potter but I can't really say that it was anything like HP apart from the bare bones of the story, the fight against good and evil. Give it a try by all means but I don't think this is one that'll keep you up all night until you get to the end.