Profile for Ionia Froment > Reviews

Content by Ionia Froment

Ionia Froment

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
It Was Always You: An uplifting page turner reminding you love can change everything

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful read, 17 Aug. 2017
This book will give you all the feels. I laughed and fell in love and cried and wished I could be seeing the sights that the main characters saw during her time in Italy. You want to eat before you read this because it will also make you hungry if you don't.

I liked the main character, Libby, from the beginning. She starts out the book mostly carefree as she takes a final trip for herself before embarking on a serious career. I liked the way the author used such beautiful descriptions to enhance the reader's experience and make it feel like you were right there alongside her characters. I also thought she did a stellar job of showing how we can get our hearts involved in a relationship without letting our brains control us, even when we should know better.

As the book progressed, I felt even closer to the main character as her future goals were basically the same as mine. I loved the emerging relationship that the author describes in the second half of the book and couldn't wait to see where things led. If you are looking for a novel that you can throw your heart into, this would be a good one to choose.

With many different themes in this no

Warren the Xiiith: The All Seeing Eye (Warren the 13th)
Warren the Xiiith: The All Seeing Eye (Warren the 13th)
by Tania Del Rio

4.0 out of 5 stars so much fun, 24 Nov. 2015
Warren, the under appreciated and often comical main character in Warren the 13th and the All-Seeing Eye, is sure to warm the hearts of adult and younger readers alike. This book is just so much fun to read.

If you enjoy sharing stories with your kids and are looking for a book that will keep their imaginations captive, may I recommend this one. Warren is the bellhop for the Warren hotel, which has fallen into repair after falling under the control of his clueless uncle and his nasty Aunt Anaconda. The adventures he has trying to solve the mystery of the hidden treasure in the hotel and save the place that he loves are so exciting and enjoyable that you won't want to stop reading until the very end.

This book is not tremendously long so would be ideal for children who are just beginning with chapter books. The characters are engaging, the story is unique and the ending is full of just the right amount of danger and happy ending.

I recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a good story for their kids, or even just for themselves.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the publisher and provided through Netgalley. All opinions are my own.

Live to Air: An Ethan Benson Thriller
Live to Air: An Ethan Benson Thriller

4.0 out of 5 stars fast paced and thrilling, 16 Nov. 2015
I loved a lot of this book. There is a lot to recommend it, but there were also some parts that I thought could have been better. Allow me to explain.

First of all, if you can keep up with the Russian names in this book, you will be doing okay. So many K names. You can do it--but don't attempt to read whilst you are distracted by other things or they will most likely all blend together.

I liked Ethan as a main character. His struggles with alcohol and trying to impress his boss made him seem more realistic than if he had been perfect from the start. I enjoyed the relationship with his son and wife and felt it made him seem more authentic. Overall, he was a character that I would like to see return again and again.

The problems I have with this book begin with the large focus on the mob connection. I thought those parts were interesting and well written, but then they just seemed to go poof and disappear. I am not completely clear on how so much of the book was devoted to explaining those activities, but then they were not integral to the plot at the end. I almost felt like I was reading two different books.

The ending of the book became a bit unbelievable, but I was still fascinated with the intricacies of the plot enough that it kept me reading until the very last page.

I would have liked to have seen what happened to some of the characters after the shocking revelations at the end, but that didn't happen. It is up to the reader to decide how they think things turned out for those characters.

There's enough action here to keep those who love a quick paced story going and for those who like the psychological aspects that is there too. It was a good book with a few quirks, but one that I still feel good about recommending.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Until We Break
Until We Break

4.0 out of 5 stars pleasantly surprised, 16 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Until We Break (Kindle Edition)
Usually I hate angst filled books with younger couples, but the writing in this one is too good to let it slip into that category. Jamie Howard gets it--she understands the complexities of relationships and that reflects in the behaviour of her characters.

Sloane immediately made me like her and the back story for her love interest drew me in as well. I liked the chemistry between them from a very early point in the story and waited with anticipation to see how things would work out for them. This is a book that will take the reader on an emotional ride, wanting things to work out and then cursing when they don't go the way you want them to.

More than just another silly romance, this novel is written with readers in mind. I won't soon forget it.

Give this one a chance, even if it isn't the kind of book you would normally read. It's worth the time.

The Circle (Commandant Martin Servaz)
The Circle (Commandant Martin Servaz)
by Bernard Minier

3.0 out of 5 stars unexpected, 16 Nov. 2015
Hmmm. There were parts of this book that made me want to immediately recommend it to others, and parts where I wondered if I had suddenly jumped to another book and left the one I was enjoying behind without realising it.

The crime in the beginning of the book is very interesting, but along about halfway through the book, I began to wish that things would speed up a bit and actually start happening in a way that made enough sense to put the pieces together.

The main character is entertaining, but largely for the other things going on in his life rather than the main case that the story is about. He makes you feel like you've known him forever, and every bit of his luck, both good and bad, is yours as well.

This is a twisty, impossible to solve book with a lot of complex story lines and rich characters. If you can deal with a slower story that eventually reveals itself in unexpected ways, this would be a good choice.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the publisher and was provided through Netgalley. All opinions are my own.

Salvage
Salvage
by Duncan Ralston

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifying and Exciting, 10 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Salvage (Paperback)
This author knows how to write a truly terrifying story. I like that in a person.

I enjoyed this book for a number of reasons. It was mysterious and I was immediately drawn to the main character. The author did an excellent job of creating a solid back story for his characters and he revealed it a little at a time with no major information dumps ruining the rest of the book.

This novel has many of the traditional creepy aspects of a good horror story, but also combines those with a mystery that you can't solve until the very last page.

I liked the Hellfire and brimstone feel of this book and thought the paranormal aspects were handled well, not coming off as ridiculous or inappropriate to the scenes where they appeared.

The idea of the chapel in the lake was original, and frightening. Good descriptions of the town and the people in it also added to the scary atmosphere of this book.

Overall, this was a really entertaining and well-written book, and I look forward to reading more from this author.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the publisher, provided through Netgalley. All opinions are my own.

Derek Takes Action
Derek Takes Action
by Mac Black

5.0 out of 5 stars the sendoff was bittersweet, 10 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Derek Takes Action (Paperback)
I've grown rather fond of poor, bumbling Derek over the years, and it saddens me a bit to see him go in this final sendoff, but what a sendoff it was.

Once more, he finds himself in the worst sort of trouble from the very beginning of this book, but manages to save face in time for the ending, becoming the local hero that all his readers knew he could be--albeit, with a bit of drama along the way. I still feel for Sally.

This book had Mac Black's unique humour spread evenly through it, and is full of moments that make you glad you are not the main character in one of his novels. Derek is as witty and enjoyable as ever in this story, and after finishing it, I think it is a tie for me over which is my favourite--this one or the first.

I liked the new characters in this book and felt like this story did a good job of tying everything before it together.

If you haven't read this series yet and you enjoy humour and unlikely heroes, you should pick up a copy of the first book and get started. I'll miss Derek, but I understand that everyone has limits, and he has already used more than his share of 9 lives.

Read it, have a giggle.

This review is based on a complimentary copy in exchange for an unbiased review. All opinions are my own.

Until We Meet Again
Until We Meet Again
by Renee Collins

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual in a good way, 5 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Until We Meet Again (Hardcover)
**This author owes me a full box of Kleenex.**

At least.

This book is crazy, delightful, impossible, improbable, joyful, hopeful, terrifying, sweet, charming and bittersweet all at the same time. Truly--You would have to read it to understand the wide range of emotions it will cause in you as a reader.

This is the kind of love story that you want to root for, but are afraid to, for fear of what may happen to the characters that you have quickly grown to love.

I really enjoyed the concept of this book, and thought the author did a good job of fulfilling the promises the description made. The characters were likable right away, and the promise of something happening between them was there early on, keeping me intrigued.

The end of this book made me bawl like a baby, which, doesn't happen often for this reader. I found the dialogue to be really well written, especially in the ending scenes and loved the way the author chose to go when wrapping up the book--even though it HUUUUURRRRRT.

You've been warned. This book is addictive.

Get it.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the publisher, provided by Netgalley. All opinions are my own.

The Lost Journals of Sylvia Plath: A Novel
The Lost Journals of Sylvia Plath: A Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful piece of writing, 5 Nov. 2015
This can be a difficult book to read at times, since you know from the beginning that everything is not going to come up roses, but it is also unique, moving, funny and heartfelt.

I love books that can mirror real life so accurately that you feel like the author really poured their heart and soul into them. You definitely feel that when you read "The Lost Journals of Sylvia Plath."

Kimberly Knutsen writes with a passion and it is felt through each of her carefully worded passages. I enjoyed reading this and found myself nodding my head in agreement with many of the characters thoughts and much of the dialogue. This author is able to put into words what many people must think but not be able to voice.

The characters are strong and believable and the emotional link between them is apparent from the beginning. These are not one-dimensional characters and it is obvious that the author put a lot of work into each of them.

If you enjoy realistic dramas, and books that can make you forget about your own worries and become involved with the characters, this one is likely something you will enjoy.

This review is based on a complimentary copy. All opinions are my own.

Convalescence
Convalescence

4.0 out of 5 stars chilling, 5 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Convalescence (Kindle Edition)
This book follows the old style of terror, where things are slowly revealed, allowing the reader to wait in suspense for what is going to happen next. From the beginning it is hinted that there is something strange going on in the large house where the main character has been sent to recover from an illness, but it is not said exactly what.

For the most part, I thought this was a really interesting book with just enough suspense and unusual qualities to keep me excited about turning the pages. It isn't a terribly long book, but that serves it well. The reader has enough of a chance to get to know the characters, without the length seeming oppressive.

The one thing that bothered me about this book, is that I felt like due to the repeated use of the word "almost," that things were only kind of happening or about to happen, rather than actually happening. Some examples are "almost palpable," and "almost tangible." I like it when my characters just go ahead and do things, rather than when they almost do.

Otherwise, I thought this was a good read and that it was worth the time to check out. Recommended for those who like mysterious, spooky tales.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20