Profile for Mr. David Mcwhinney > Reviews

Content by Mr. David Mcwh...

Mr. David Mcwhinney "Baldygitt" (Ireland)

Nikon D60 Digital SLR Camera - Black (AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent value for money, 8 Jan. 2009
After several months of research I bit the bullet and bought the D60 due mainly to the build quality and reputation of Nikon. This camera just seems so "right" when you pick it up. The main contenders on my short list were the Nikon d60, Canon 1000d and Sony a200 as they were closest match in my budget. I could possibly have been seduced by a Canon 450d but in the end it was over £100 more than the other three at best. The Sony came in about £40 less but was always a distant third choice anyway. It's just not a Nikon or Canon. Both the 1000d and a200 I'm sure would be excelent choices but image quality of the Nikon when coupled with the 18-55 vr kit lens wins by a whisker. Canon's Live View may be a plus for some but it is poorly implemented and in my opinion not needed on a dslr. I honestly feel that if live view is the most important factor you should be buying a point and shoot. For me the downside of the other two cameras was their plasticky feel and in the Sony's case more so and slower autofucusing. I realise the Sony has a built in focus motor but since I don't have a collection of Nikon lenses this won't bother me. The lesser three point autofucus is made up for on the nikon by it's perfect metering which gets it right every time. The 18-55mm kit lens is great for walkabout but maybe a little short for portrait work. Results are superbly sharp though and it works well in low light. The built in flash is much better than I expected. Red eye reduction really works too. The menus are simple to navigate and generally the camera is very user friendly. This may be an entry level dslr but it certainly packs plenty of bangs for bucks. If you are looking for your first dslr save yourself the time researching and get this one. You won't be dissapointed.

Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360)
Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocky start but it gets much better, 11 May 2008
I was expecting big things from this game and it doesn't dissapoint. When I first started playing I thought it had lost something in the gameplay, but how wrong I was. The more you progress through the game the more you realise just how many side missions there are. It seems at first to be quite linear but after a while when you have met various people and they appear in your phone memory you work out that all the side missions are accessed from your phone and not little icons on the map like previous versions of the game. A nice touch is the internet cafe where you can check emails, browse a make belief web (well funny), date girls (and men!!!), Buy cars from an autotrader type site among other things. This is where you find the equivelant of the old import export missions too.
The detail of the vehicles and the whole city is amazing, however the actual graphics resolution is not quite as good as some other recent games. Dont let this put you off though as they are still very good indeed, even if you can only display 720p/1080i as is the case with older consoles.
The vehicles handle differently than previous versions but not worse. They seem more realistic than before and won't screech round hairpin bends at breakneck speeds anymore, but with a little prectise you will get the hang of slowing down for corners. I really like the new driving physics a lot. Just jump in a Dodge Charger, sorry, I mean a "Dukes" and hammer the throttle into a bend and watch it drift leaving black rubber marks and tyre smoke while the body rolls around like an old yank should. Or you could try a top heavy Escalade and watch it lean over while the front end looses traction on the tight turns.
The main character Niko really comes to life and has more depth and personality than any gta character before him.
Any gta fan giving this one a negative review surely has not given the game a chance or played long enough to give an informed review. Nothing has changed except maybe the exclusion of planes (I loved the dodo which CAN be flown indefinately). The game just got better and will live for a very long time before we see anything better.