Profile for A. J. Trickett > Reviews

Content by A. J. Trickett

A. J. Trickett "ajt" (Hampshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Logitech Trackman Wheel
Logitech Trackman Wheel

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay until the button failed, 29 Mar. 2013
I've had this trackball "mouse" for 3 years and 2 months. Recently the main (left-click) button has started to fail. Even though the rest of the mouse is fine it makes it pretty much useless. I've had mice on computers and never had one with a button fail before which is even more annoying on this a premium device.

Other than the fact it has basically died just after the end of the warranty it was a pretty good device once you get use to it.

first4magnets 4.3 kg Pull N42 Strong Neodymium Block Magnets for Arts and Crafts - (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of pull, 12 Feb. 2013
Bought a pack to hang a steel calendar on the side of the fridge when magnetic tape wasn't strong enough.

They arrived in a plastic container, well packaged in a cardboard box and a very serious warning leaflet. Considering how much effort they took to get apart I can see why they say they are not toys.

I put six of the magnets on the calendar and attached it to the side of the fridge. Both the fridge and the calendar are made of thin mild-steel and the fridge has a high gloss coating on top. So far the calendar hasn't moved and seems quite attached. I've not had to glue the magnets to the back of the calendar.

1x8 Sanyo Eneloop Mignon AA 1900 mAh (discontinued by manufacturer)
1x8 Sanyo Eneloop Mignon AA 1900 mAh (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does What It Says On The Tin, 17 Dec. 2012
NiMH rechargeable batteries are great but their self-discharge means you can't leave them for a long time and still expect them to work. The Sanyo low self-discharge eneloop batteries behave much more like ordinary alkaline batteries and can be used in the same way, except that they are still rechargeable.

These third generation eneloops now hold 1.9 Ah of charge and have a duty cycle of 1800 recharges, slightly more charge and recycles than the previous generation, and enough for most use patterns.

PCTV Systems DVB-T2 292e nanoStick HD TV Tuner - Watch, Pause & Record Digital Freeview Hi Definition and Standard Definition TV on your PC.  Stream LIVE TV to your iPad, iPhone, PC.
PCTV Systems DVB-T2 292e nanoStick HD TV Tuner - Watch, Pause & Record Digital Freeview Hi Definition and Standard Definition TV on your PC. Stream LIVE TV to your iPad, iPhone, PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug it in an watch TV - does what it says on the tin, 20 Nov. 2012
Even though there is no mention of Linux anywhere on the package I did know that this device would work out of the box, hence why I bought it. Inside the box there is a really tiny USB tuner - hardly larger than a USB memory key, a USB extension cable, a remote control, a adapter for a standard UHF cable and a small indoor aerial. The instructions are pretty minimal and there are some Windows drivers things that I ignored.

I plugged the USB tuner in - it needed a good push to seat properly - and a little blue light came on. My Linux 3.2.0 kernel detected it and loaded the drivers without a problem. Kaffeine comes with it's own tuning tools, so no additional software is required. For VLC you need to install a DVB apps package to provide the tuning. In either case it helps to know the name of your local DVB transmitter - otherwise you need to look it up on the web.

With either package I was able to watch & record Freeview channels without any problem on my desktop PC. My system is quite old and the internal aerial is behind three heavy masonry walls and there was some picture breakup but overall for what I paid it works very well. Our house is on a hill and we have a direct view of our local transmitter so we are in a good location to get good signal.

I may fit a proper roof/loft aerial and run a cable to it for better reception in the future but based on the internal aerial it's perfectly usable as is. I've not tried DVB-T2/HD yet as my current PC is a bit old and not up to it.

Fellowes Keyboard Wrist Rest Gel Non-skid Black Starburst Ref 90056
Fellowes Keyboard Wrist Rest Gel Non-skid Black Starburst Ref 90056

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good until it burst, 15 Aug. 2012
I've had one of these for many years and I have been very happy with it. However it burst recently and sticky silicone goo came out and made a sticky mess on the desk. While it has dies, it lasted longer than other keyboard rests I've had in the past.

Canon Battery Grip BG-E9 for Canon EOS 60D
Canon Battery Grip BG-E9 for Canon EOS 60D

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 15 Aug. 2012
Adding an extra grip and weight to the bottom of your camera can be a good thing I think. I think it improves the ergonomics of the camera and you get twice the battery power and the option to use AA batteries if needs be.

The only problem I have - and this applies to most camera grips - is that it makes the camera taller and then they don't fit in many camera bags any more. It's the same issue I had with the grip I added to my old EOS50E.

PANASONIC Breadmaker kneading paddle For: SD200, SD206, SD251, SD252, SD253, SD254, SD255
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

5.0 out of 5 stars Works wonders, 15 Aug. 2012
Panasonic bread machines are the bee's knees but as they are so good they get heavily used - ours is used every day. Eventually the non-stick coating wears off the paddle and the pan. Once they pan and paddle get damaged bread starts to stick. A new machine is £120, a new pan and paddle is £60 and a paddle alone is £12. Some people suggested that it's the paddle that is more important the pan so I bought just the paddle and now my bread is popping out quite easily again even though the pan is a bit damaged and worn.

If your bread machine is still working fine but the bread is sticking in the pan a little too often, then check your paddle it may be all you need is to replace it!

Lowepro 9 x 9cm Lens Case - Black
Lowepro 9 x 9cm Lens Case - Black
Offered by OptixMania

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly serviceable, 27 Jun. 2012
I've bought Lowepro lens cases in the past and while there is nothing wrong with this one, I do prefer the older models though. There is a nice think foam base, which is good, the side walls are stiff so not so squidgy like the older models. There are no stitched in hoops but the Velcro flap to the rear has a double catch so it should stay put. There is a little net pocket in the lid.

The internal dimensions are: 10 cm (w) x 7.5 cm (d) x 10 cm (h), the quoted size is 9x9 cm. It is a bit "D" shaped so there is some slip for the lens (my older ones are more cylindrical). Before buying if you can try you lens for fit - to make sure you get the right one.

Overall the quality of the stitching is good, the zip is smooth and work well and it seem fit for purpose. I shall see how it lasts.

Only 3* because it's okay, it does what is says, but it's not brilliant or exciting in anyway.

AURAGLOW 6w LED GU10 Light Bulb, Warm White, 50w Equivalent
AURAGLOW 6w LED GU10 Light Bulb, Warm White, 50w Equivalent

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but creates a lot of RFI, 6 Dec. 2011
I replaced a wider angle 50W halogen with one of these. The angle is a little narrower, so the light spread isn't quiet as good and the colour of the warm white is a lot whiter than the halogen it replaced. Though it is a whiter, it's not annoyingly so, and the beam focus is okay too. In brightness terms it is on par if not brighter than the halogen it replaced - though it is a narrower beam which makes it a imperfect comparison.

In use it is a lot cooler than the halogen it replaced but not cold, they still generate a lot of excess heat.

The only annoying issue is that they give out a shed load of RFI, the FM radio in the kitchen at about 2.5 m from the LED lamp is almost unusable with the lights on. Having said that, FM reception where we live is terrible to start with and I know that there are lots of other things that throw out RF interference, so this LED light isn't the only culprit.

They are acceptable, use a lot less electricity and do run cooler than halogens. The RFI is annoying and they are more expensive to buy than halogens but on balance I think I will buy more of them to gradually replace all the remaining non-dimmer switched halogens.

EDIT: The RFI they give out is enough to prevent HomePlug networking over mains systems from working. I'm going to investigate if a simple Ferrite core on the cable to the lights is enough to reduce the interference.

Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (discontinued by manufacturer)
Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 16 Oct. 2011
I've been a user of Canon EOS/EF kit for over a decade but have held off buying a digital SLR body until the features stabilised. This summer I decided to take the plunge and looked at the 600D and the 60D. Having tried them both out in a shop, it is obvious that the 60D is ergonomically a far better camera - though I admit that technically the sensor is the same in both of them.

I took the camera with me and a couple of lenses on a donkey trekking holiday in Haute Loir in France. 500 photos later I'm a very happy.

I would say that the jpegs the camera produces can be pants and you are often much better off with the RAW images and starting from them rather than the jpegs. But if you are buying a camera like this, then you know to use the raw images anyway.

I did not buy my camera from Amazon as I wanted to touch it before I bought it and John Lewis had it in stock locally for less than Jessops or Amazon, so I bought it there. Since then the price has changed and I believe that the Amazon price is now the better - but as always do check!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7