Profile for O. C. Bryant > Reviews

Content by O. C. Bryant

O. C. Bryant

Page: 1 | 2
Lovarzi Women's Polka Dot Scarf Blue - Luxury Pashmina for Women - Gorgeous long spotty scarfs
Offered by LOVARZI

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this scarf, 6 Mar. 2015
I love this scarf. It is soft and thick enough to keep me warm. I wear it for everyday outfits, but it is also nice enough to wear for formal wear

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Tomfoolery, 12 Sept. 2013
Looked great in the picture.

The reality was it was a pain the ass to put up; every leaf has to be individually peeled which was a trial.

The colours of the tree, especially the trunk, are much more garish than those shown in the amazon image.

And worse of all, the bright green leaves are now starting to unstick.

Pretty poor overall. I wouldn't recommend it to a friend, but might to an enemy.

Grobag Woodland Tales 1.0 Tog Baby Sleep Bag (18-36 Months)
Grobag Woodland Tales 1.0 Tog Baby Sleep Bag (18-36 Months)
Offered by Peppermint London

4.0 out of 5 stars a great product, 6 Aug. 2013
soft, comfortable and easy to wash. My son loves it and it reassures me he isnt going to kick the covers off in the night

Universal 2 Bicycle Car Cycle Carrier
Universal 2 Bicycle Car Cycle Carrier
Offered by supply-4-all

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT UNIVERSAL- check before purchase, 6 Aug. 2013
Having just got back into riding my bike again and with a young son I decided to buy this rack so we could go a little further to explore. When it arrived I was utterly disappointed with product. The instructions were as much use as a chocolate fireguard and even the most discerning "fix-it guy" could not fathom them. Even finding the instructions online was difficult. We finally took it to a local fitters/garage where we were told it would not fit my car (a peugeout 206 station wagon) and probably wouldnt fit any kind of straighter-edged boot. bitterly disappointed

Fisher-Price Precious Planet Playtime Bouncer
Fisher-Price Precious Planet Playtime Bouncer

5.0 out of 5 stars Jungle Boogie, 17 Nov. 2012
This rocker is absolutely brilliant!

We bought this for our a son when he was less than a week old. He is now 6 months old and still uses it. He has grown with it being able to use the different functions as he has begun to recognise the world around him. The tunes are catchy and cheerful, and the calming vibrations mimic the movement of a car which often sends babies to sleep. This product is practical, lightweight and easy to assemble. The music bar is detachable as well as the covers which can be wiped clean or washed. We take this rocker everywhere with us if staying for any length of time as our son gets so much enjoyment from it. It is like his own comfy armchair.

For under £30 this is one of the best purchases we have made. We will be sad when he can no longer use it. It does have a maximum weight of 9KG so has a limited life-span. But looking forward to keeping it for any future children. (Its has not got any signs of wear and tear and is used EVERY day)

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance, 17 Nov. 2012
We bought this mobile for our young son (aprox 6-7 weeks at the time) and when it arrived I was very disappointed to find that it was not "mobile" at all, in fact there was no movement mechanism in it. For £20 I would have expected this. The cards are interchangeable which is a good idea, and the black and white contrast is very stimulating to babies. However we found the cards difficult to attach and change and it also didn't "sit straight" when assembled. Some of the cards actually tore when trying to assemble the product.
I returned my item

Enter The Dragon [Blu-ray] [1973] [Region Free]
Enter The Dragon [Blu-ray] [1973] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Bruce Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Ever Martial Arts Movie Just Got Better, 15 Feb. 2012
Enter The Dragon looks glorious in Blu Ray, much improved on my DVD copy.

As an avid fan of Bruce Lee this upgraded version of the film was an essential purchase and there is much to admire and enjoy. The clarity of the picture, the soundtrack, the extras, all are impressive for the age of production.

A must buy.

Artemis Fowl and the Atlantis Complex
Artemis Fowl and the Atlantis Complex
by Eoin Colfer

2.0 out of 5 stars Eion Colfer and the Comparison Complex, 28 Sept. 2010
The Artemis Fowl series rivals many of the great literary inventions of the last 50 years. This is due to inventive concepts, page turning suspense, delicious characters, devilishly humour and arguably, most important of all, consistent brilliance, book in, book out.

The thing with Fowl books are, you get the feeling, even a few pages in, that it is going to be a wild ride. However, 30-40 pages into Atlantis Complex I started to worry - where was excitement, invention and bubbly current of previous stories? 100 pages read and I was definitely concerned, this is an Artemis Fowl novel isn't it? And finally, the time came when I was closer to the end than the beginning, and I knew, this was going to be a turkey.

Yes, the bit with Butler and Juliet in Mexico was fun, but the story felt very estranged from itself. The parts didn't seem to fit and the magic fizzled out. This mostly stemmed from the fact that Artemis and his amazing genius plays very little part in the book. The narrative with the Irish teenager was either OCD driven or Orion dominated. We have come to expect the plots and plans of Master Fowl as the hallmarks and driving force of these stories, but The Atlantis Complex lost this drive and suffered as a result.

There was little character development, an uninspiring villain, and really, if you aren't committed to this series, you can miss this one out completely - I said so.

No.8 is rumoured to be the final outing for Artemis. Please Eoin, take your time with it. Don't listen to your publisher's deadline demands, as you obviously did with Atlantis. Find the core of these wonderful books again, that which is the wit and genius of Artemis Fowl and go out with a Neutrino's BANG!

Confessor (Sword of Truth 11)
Confessor (Sword of Truth 11)
by Terry Goodkind

1.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment - what happened to Terry Goodkind?, 28 Aug. 2008
My condolences to all readers of Confessor.

Firstly to those that actually finds this tripe digestible. I pity that you are able to enjoy the stale writings and musings of a totally self absorbed man. But I emphathise with your loyalties, it certainly has been a long journey to get to this finale; 12 years, 11 books and £100's spent.

But I must ridicule your critique (or lack of) for this truly awful book. How many times have we seen this in popular culture, where a legendary franchise has opted for the quick buck and mass exploitation of its fans over the protection and integrity of its art? AND STILL SOME OF YOU LAP IT UP! Perhaps, with such an insatiable public appetite for sub-mediocre fiction we should all start to release our own philosophies dressed up as unexciting, predictable stories?

Secondly to the readers of this fiction, akin to me, who have patiently stuck with it, in desperation rather than hope, to see a fulfilling end to a one-time compelling saga. Alas, our instincts were correct; Goodkind was never going to achieve redemption, the crimes of the previous 6 books (with the exception of Faith Of The Fallen) were too great and our better judgment lost out to curiosity and loyalty. I sympathise with you, I emphathise with you and in especial, I question with you; How could such inventive stories and vividly realised characters finally morph into Confessor? I would say laziness, arrogance and greed.

And lastly I would like to send my condolences to Voyager, the poor publishers who agreed to print these books. To those at Voyager, I pity your proof readers, the PR people, the printers and all the professionals that had to deal with Goodkind and his latter day SOT series.

I would not be surprised if this effort is Goodkind's last. He now seems devoid of any invention and enthusiasm for his work and probably grew to hate the SOT over the last few years; it would certainly explain his dire performances as an author. I can now put him on the `could-have-been-great-but-sacrificed-earlier-brilliance-for-immediate-exposure' pile along with the Wachowski brothers and countless others.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2009 12:07 PM GMT

Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel (Artemis Fowl Graphic Novels)
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel (Artemis Fowl Graphic Novels)
by Eoin Colfer

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not Emis, it's Art !!, 12 Nov. 2007
Having borrowed the first Artemis Fowl novel (from a friend who implored me to read it), I'd never actually owned a copy. It didn't seem right to adore a book so much and not actually own one, so I faithfully visited Amazon.co.uk to set this to rights. When I saw that a graphic novel had been just been released for AF1 there really was no decision to make; it was as good as mine.

And what a terrific job Colfer and Co have made of this electrifying story by putting it into a comic strip format. The original novel was extremely fast paced and had an action film feel to it, yet the graphic novel has taken this premise and run with, very quickly!

The visuals suit the story perfectly; sharp, modern, funky and perceptive. The varying size and the scope of these images really help to capture the drama of the narrative. Especially impressive is the use of light and dark and the way these two polar opposites are paralleled (good vs. evil / surface vs. subterranean).

On the negative side, the story does lose some of its depth (unfortunately, this is to be expected). The characters are not so vivid and realised in picturesque format and if I were reading this as a first time Fowl voyeur, I would not have such an appreciation for the amazing inventions of Colfer. Nor would I be as desperate to pursue a sequel.

Yet the differences between the written story and the comic ironically are the reasons why this HAS to be purchased by Fowl fanatics, or simply by anyone who enjoys terrific fast-paced fiction. Seeing Haven City and Holly Short for the first time was first class, and my first look at the Neutrino 2000.... well, it was riddled with jealously - why can't I have one?

Highly recommended.