Profile for SusieSioux > Reviews

SusieSioux

Cake Angels: Gluten, Wheat & Dairy Free Cakes
Cake Angels: Gluten, Wheat & Dairy Free Cakes
by Julia Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book with delicious results every time!, 18 Feb. 2012
My 2 1/2 y/o daughter is a coeliac and I have struggled to find a good gluten free alternative for baked goods like muffins and cakes. This book has changed that and my 2 girls now spend ages leafing through this well illustrated book choosing what recipe they would like to try out next.
About a third of the recipes use a 12 hole muffin tin, (one of the few pieces of bakeware I own!) and an electric hand mixer, as well as having many ingredients in common, which really helps when you are making them regularly, you don't have to buy too many 'extras'.
We have tried 4 recipes so far and each one has worked beautifully and we have all loved each one. My favourite was the banana, pecan & golden syrup loaf, the kid's was chocolate muffins & coconut cupcakes with white chocolate ganache, (also yum!)
As an aside, we are not dairy free, and although the recipes are DF, I use normal dairy with very good results.
I can see this book will mean my daughter can now enjoy special occasion cakes that previously I thought I would have to always buy in the supermarket and aren't nearly as nice, or as much fun to make together!
I am very grateful to Julia Thomas for this lovely and inspirational book.
I wish her well with her business and her future health.

KitchenCraft MasterClass Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Kitchen Tongs with Soft Grip, Silver, 23 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value tongs, easy to use., 29 Dec. 2011
These tongs are great and look much nicer than they do in the supplied picture. They are dishwasher safe, (yay!) and will lock shut for easy storage.

I dithered about my need for them and the price, but they are so useful I wish I had bought them sooner!

8 Assorted Foam Animal Masks
8 Assorted Foam Animal Masks
Offered by Goods Online 24/7 (UK SELLER)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely colourful & varied masks., 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: 8 Assorted Foam Animal Masks (Toy)
I bought these as party bag fillers for my daughter's 5th birthday.

She and her 2 1/2 year old sister saw them in advance, begged me to let them have theirs early and spent days/hours playing wonderful imaginary games with them. My 5 yr old enjoyed deciding which child would get which animal based on their personalities, (John is a bit cheeky so he can have the monkey in his bag!) and they have withstood plenty of hours playtime so far, I would highly recommend them.

Joseph Joseph Uni-tool 5-in-1 Kitchen Utensil - Red
Joseph Joseph Uni-tool 5-in-1 Kitchen Utensil - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know how I lived without it!, 8 July 2011
My daughter is a Coeliac and I bought this to replace my wooden spoons, which apparently can lead to gluten cross contamination.
I couldn't live without it now. I use it daily and always wash it up by hand so it is not sat dirty in the dishwasher when I need it again. It's a well thought out multi tool.
Yesterday I made Frittata and I could ease the edges up from the pan, cut it into wedges with the serrated edge and scoop & serve it up all with this tool. My (very) slight niggle is that as a right handed person it would make more sense to me to have the furthest edge sliding to a point the other way, but it's no biggie.
A really useful tool that I have used far more than I though I would and takes up a lot less space than my old wooden spoon collection!

Disney Club Penguin - Puffle Series 5 Purple
Disney Club Penguin - Puffle Series 5 Purple
Offered by Webkinz Wizard

4.0 out of 5 stars No idea why, but my kids love this..., 18 Mar. 2011
My 4 yr old occasionally plays Club Penguin, so I bought her and my 20 month old a Pink & Purple Puffle for Christmas. Although they don't play with them every day, I am pleasantly surprised by just how much fun they have with them and how they seem to enjoy having one each.
Not educational, but gets whoops of delight from my girls every time they get them out, (even though I don't understand why!)

BRITA Wottle Reusable Water Bottle
BRITA Wottle Reusable Water Bottle

3.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, good size but not ideal for car cup holders., 18 Mar. 2011
I love Orla Kiely designs, always need water with me when I am out and about and am morally opposed buying bottled water, so bought this as a perfect solution!
It is a good size and easy to drink from the wide top. But the drawback I have learnt since owning it is that the oval shape of the bottle means it won't fit into my car's cup holder, quite a drawback for me. Arguably my fault for not realising this before I bought it, but still a shame!