Profile for Spanglish mum > Reviews

The Clear Skin Cookbook
The Clear Skin Cookbook
by Dale Pinnock

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite useful but a bit too all-encompassing, 21 July 2016
My initial reaction was disappointment when the book arrived. It just doesn't look like there's much to it. (I've read a lot about nutrition for skin and didn't think this added much new info.) But once I started reading it I decided it was actually better than I'd initially thought. The author explains the science behind skin-related issues quite well, although there is some repetition in the book. The recipes look nice and simple (not too many ingredients nor too daunting to attempt) and they're mostly a little unusual (good for trying new things, not the same as in other health & nutrition cookbooks). I look forward to giving them a go. I don't expect miracles but I reckon this book will be of some help in my long term improved-nutrition-for-better-skin plan. As this book covers lots of skin conditions (acne, psoriasis, eczema, etc), it feels like it's trying to be all-encompassing, and a lot of the info is irrelevant for me, because I'm trying to cure an acne problem. I would really benefit from a similar book specific to acne. Edit: I have upped my rating from 3 stars to 4 stars after trying some of the recipes.

Beautiful OOPS
Beautiful OOPS
by Barney Salzberg
Edition: Board book

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love this but..., 21 July 2016
This review is from: Beautiful OOPS (Board book)
I bought this on the basis of all the glowing reviews. My opinion: it's a nice idea and a wonderful philosophy for kids growing up, but it's (a) too old for my nearly two year old niece and (b) too young for my 7 year old son. It would be OK for kids between about 3 and 6, I reckon. With regards to the presentation of the book itself, it's nice but nothing amazing, and because it's a lift-the-flaps type book it would probably get ripped and battered if given to a 3-6 year old... I wanted to love this but it's just not doing it for me... There's not much "story" and I just don't feel it is very engaging. I recommend "Ish" and "The Dot" by Peter Reynolds for similar inspirational books with stories that are much more engaging.

Q & A a Day for Kids: A Three-Year Journal
Q & A a Day for Kids: A Three-Year Journal
by Betsy Franco
Edition: Diary

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice journal, 21 July 2016
Bought this for my 7 year old son, to encourage him to get writing. It looks great. I will update this when I have started using it with him. Am going to buy another for my 9 year old.

Look 15 Years Younger: The 15-Minute-a-Day Yoga Plan
Look 15 Years Younger: The 15-Minute-a-Day Yoga Plan
by Barbara Currie

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this book!, 21 July 2016
I LOVE this book. Babara's words are super encouraging and the short routines are easy to fit in, when I don't have time to do a proper work out. Great purchase!

Between Mom and Me: Mother son journal
Between Mom and Me: Mother son journal
by Katie Clemons
Edition: Diary

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed. Print-on-demand, and it shows., 21 July 2016
REALLY disappointed with this journal. I loved the idea, and was hoping to use it with my 9 year old son, but the journal is very overpriced (I paid nearly 10 GBP including postage) and it's very poorly thought out and presented. (I could have come up with something better than this, in an afternoon on the computer...) It would have been better if there were more lines to write on in the journal, instead of boxes. It's recommended for 9 years plus, I believe, but it doesn't encourage a lot of writing - many of the entries call for pictures/photos. Not impressed. I'm going to look into sending it back but it came from the US, and it's print-on-demand so I'm guessing it won't be possible. I like the "Q&A a day for kids" diary A LOT better (which I bought for my 7 year old, but would have been ideal for both ages). Really disappointed. Don't waste your money.

Jackdaws
Jackdaws
by Ken Follett

5.0 out of 5 stars Page-turner!, 19 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Jackdaws (Hardcover)
Read this because it was recommended reading for my book club. I don't normally read many bestsellers, but I really enjoyed this one.

Buddha's Book of Sleep: Sleep Better in Seven Weeks with Mindfulness Meditation
Buddha's Book of Sleep: Sleep Better in Seven Weeks with Mindfulness Meditation
by Joseph Emet

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm extremely disappointed. There's little new information if you have read ..., 30 July 2015
After all the positive reviews I read, I had high hopes for this book. Frankly, I'm extremely disappointed. There's little new information if you have read about mindfulness elsewhere and the whole book could do with a thorough proofreading. There are plenty of parts in the book that are poorly worded, and the worst is the exercises section. It starts off with "Week One - Calming the Mind" and then there's no mention of Weeks Two to Seven, or what they are aiming to do!! This is an unbelievable oversight that should have been picked up long before the book went to print. The whole of the exercises section seems vague and lacking direction. I am in two minds as to whether to send it back or persevere with the exercises.

Red Nose Readers Collection - 16 Books (Paperback)
Red Nose Readers Collection - 16 Books (Paperback)
by Allan Ahlberg

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor content, didn't capture the attention of my kids, 30 July 2015
Tiny, flimsy books. Poor content, didn't capture the attention of my kids. Disappointing.

Platypus - Soft Toy, 16" Long
Platypus - Soft Toy, 16" Long
Offered by Lincrafts

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 July 2015
My niece loved this platypus!!

Flow Yoga: Elements of Yoga: Air & Water with Tara Lee
Flow Yoga: Elements of Yoga: Air & Water with Tara Lee
Dvd ~ Tara Lee
Offered by New Shoot Pictures Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars I like this DVD but I must admit I feel a ..., 30 July 2015
I like this DVD but I must admit I feel a bit diddled because the bonus section is identical to the first DVD (and the third).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5