Profile for S. Wilson > Reviews

Content by S. Wilson
Top Reviewer Ranking: 78

S. Wilson (UK)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Clockwork Dragon
The Clockwork Dragon
by Jonathan Emmett

5.0 out of 5 stars Roariffic!, 28 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Clockwork Dragon (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My son is obsessed with dinosaurs and dragons and anything that roars and he has absolutely loved this book and has asked for many repeat readings so far. The illustrations are beautifully done and the story is brilliant. The story tells of a little boy and girl who build a clockwork dragon to scare off the local real dragon Flamethrottle and who with a little bit of imagination and trickery manage to succeed and chase the real dragon away.
My son was pretty much "roaring" all of the way through and thought it was very funny when the real dragon was tricked. A lovely and beautifully written and illustrated soft back large childrens book and it looks set to become another bedtime favourite.

Monster High Frankie Doll
Monster High Frankie Doll

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster High Original Ghouls Collection - Frankie Stein, 28 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Monster High Frankie Doll (Toy)
Mattel have re-released some of the original dolls collection for Monster High which include; Monster High Draculaura Doll, Monster High Frankie Doll, Monster High Cleo Doll and Monster High Clawdeen Doll so far. The dolls come in their original outfits which they wear in the Monster High webisodes and also come with a doll stand but they do not come with a diary, handbag or their pet like with the original original dolls when they were first released.

The dolls are still beautifully made and it's nice to have a copy of them in their original outfits to match the webisodes and the attention to detailing is still wonderfully done.

The Frankie Stein doll is absolutely gorgeous and stands at her normal height of around 27cm tall (the average height for the girl dolls is normally around 27cm but there are a couple of shorter dolls such as Twyla and River Styxx) and as normal her arms, elbows, wrists, head and knees are jointed and so fully poseable. Frankie is wearing her normal check dress outfit with tie and stud detail belt/ Her check dress has a frilled hem on the skirt and mesh sleeves along with a skull tie pin. Frankie has her normal black and white court high heels on and blue skull and chain earrings like her webisode character. The Frankie doll has all of her normal stitching detail on her limbs along with bolts through her neck. Her hair is in her normal black and white style and is super soft. Her eyes are the normal different colours of blue and green. Frankie Stein is one of my favourite characters from Monster High and her doll has been beautifully made. My one disappointment is the lack of the original pet and diary but the doll herself is lovely. as the Frankie doll comes with a stand only.

Frankie is the daughter of Frankenstein but unlike him she has been created with an attractive body. Frankie is one of the main characters of Monster High and a really sweet girl. Her one flaw is that her stitches sometimes come undone and therefore her limbs will fall off at the most inopportune times! Frankie is best friends with Draculaura and Clawdeen although gets on with everyone and she has a pet dog called Watzit who was made out of several dogs for her by her father.

The Original Ghouls Collection Frankie Stein doll is beautifully made and my only disappointment is that this new range doesn't come with either diary's, pets or hairbrushes. It would have been really nice if Mattel had just brought out the original originals range again including their pets etc as these are really hard to get hold of nowadays but still this is a lovely doll and to have her look like her webisode character for my nieces when they visit to play with her is wonderful.

Panasonic ALL1 Network Audio Connector
Panasonic ALL1 Network Audio Connector

3.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic All1 Network Audio Connector, 27 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Right I'll be honest and say I have had issues getting this to work the way I want it to and so far that I am struggling to like the unit. The unit itself is small, light and can be positioned either vertically or horizontally but does seem a bit more complicated than a standard bluetooth speaker and I did initially think this would work differently when opting to test the connector.

The connector is not a speaker by itself and must be connected to your existing hifi which I did know but I did think this would connect all of the speakers we have and effectively link them all and play your music which the connector does not. The connector basically streams your music from for example your phone and links this to your hifi system and plays the music through there it doesn't link all your speakers nor play your hifi music through the other speakers. Maybe I read it all wrong to begin with but I am a little disappointed. I'm going to get my hubby to have a play with this over the weekend and hopefully will be able to sing it's praises more via my edit.

The Astounding Broccoli Boy
The Astounding Broccoli Boy
by Frank Cottrell Boyce

5.0 out of 5 stars The Astounding Broccoli Boy, 27 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I haven't read any Frank Cottrell Boyce before but I can say both myself and my 9 year old nephew have really enjoyed this book. My nephew was giggling away in a corner and very shortly after he'd gone home from the weekend... so was I!
The book follows a boy called Rory Rooney who turns green after a boy called Kian pushes him into the river on a school field trip. Rory is a fan of a book called "Don't be scared be prepared" and so takes this as his sign that he is now a superhero as aren't some superheroes green?....
Really funny and also interesting to note about the authors own issues with a blood condition that causes him to change colour and how he originally heard of a sad story about two green children many years ago in England which other than his own condition is probably where he got some of the story idea and I had no idea this sort of blood condition colour changing happened. Very funny book and your little one will love it.

AmiGami Dog and Doghouse Set
AmiGami Dog and Doghouse Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Creative Fun, 27 Mar. 2015
This review is from: AmiGami Dog and Doghouse Set (Toy)
This is a brilliant innovative idea for those with creative children and although the Doghouse is pink (with a turquoise roof) and the majority of card and sticker colours for the dog are in purple and pink I wouldn't say this was just for girls as I am more than happy for my son to play with this set although I can see that it is probably primarily aimed at them. I note that the product description now says children rather than girls which is a nice step by Mattel to show that both girls and boys can play with these sets as originally the description specifically mentioned girls. My son likes making things although is a bit too young for this set and so I have had to help him a lot with it but he has really enjoyed making and playing with it.

The set is aimed for six years and older although I have two extremely creative nieces who are four and five and could very easily play with this with maybe a touch of help. I have actually just bought this Doghouse set as a get well present for one of my nieces and also bought one of each of the smaller AmiGami sets (Monkey, Giraffe, Cat and Bird) as alternatives to Easter Eggs for Easter for my two creative nieces after showing them the ones my son and I had made/decorated together. They LOVE creative sets and things to do and really liked the sets my son has and so I asked them did they want a couple of these sets rather than chocolate eggs for Easter (they get so many Easter Eggs from family anyway) and they both without any hesitation said yes. I shall update this review after Easter to confirm if I was indeed right in suspecting that both of them would have no problems with the sets.

This is a really good idea and not just a one off toy as the cardboard pieces and stickers can be re-used although I'm not sure how many uses you would actually get out the stickers but you can always replace the stickers of course with others.

The set comprises:-
1 x AmiGami Scottie Dog (this is in solid plastic)
1 x AmiGami Doghouse (this is in solid plastic)
1 x Curling Tool (this is in solid plastic)
12 x Jewel Pins and 12 Caps (these are in solid plastic and consist of 2 parts each (i.e. the pin and a cap)
65 x Stickers on a sheet of paper (various shapes and sizes)
1 x Instruction Leaflet
70 x Colourful Cardboard Shapes (these all press out and have holes in them so you can attach them using the jewel pins)

The colourful cardboard pieces are in all different ear and tail style shapes and sizes for the dog along with the Doghouse decoration pieces such as fire hydrant, plant pot, mailbox, sign and light etc. Included in the cardboard pieces are long pieces for curling with the curling tool. When I say colourful I mean very colourful and bright and in a range of very bright colours (pinks, purples, turquoises, yellows, greens and reds) with different patterns on too and so a really lovely burst of colour when your Dog and Doghouse are all 'dressed up'. There is an instruction leaflet which advises how to use the curling tool, pins and how to decorate the Dog and Doghouse. The Scottie Dogs head can be turned to put him into different poses but other than that he is all in one solid piece. The set comes in a lovely clear package and the fact that the pieces can be used over and over again means that this is not just a one off creative project and your little one can swap and change them around as much as they like and even between sets if you have more than one set.

The Doghouse stands at approx 14cm high at it's highest point and is approx 6.5cm deep by approx 18cm long. The Scottie Dog is just under 7cm tall.

I'm really impressed with the set and was originally only going to give it 4 stars because of the limited use of the stickers but the main plastic Dog and Doghouse along with the quality of the cardboard pieces (which are in a type of laminated covering for extra durability) has made me change my mind and give it the full 5 stars as we have already had some great fun out of the set and it looks like we will have quite a bit more. I've managed to test most of the other sets now and they are equally as good but I like that this set has the extra house which can be played with with the other AmiGami animals too. A definite thumbs up from my son and I and I have to say that as we have played with most of the AmiGami sets now (and I have bought a few) that these really are brilliant creative fun.

Monster High Draculaura Doll
Monster High Draculaura Doll

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster High Original Ghouls Collection - Draculaura, 27 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Monster High Draculaura Doll (Toy)

The Draculaura doll is absolutely gorgeous and stands at her normal height of around 27cm tall (the average height for the girl dolls is normally around 27cm but there are a couple of shorter dolls such as Twyla and River Styxx) and as normal her arms, elbows, wrists, head and knees are jointed and so fully poseable. Draculaura is wearing her normal waistcoat over blouse with ruffles around the neck, skirt, boots and tights. Her blouse has fishnet style sleeves which have ruffles around the wrists and a ruffle detail on the neck and the attached waistcoat has stitch detailing. She has safety pin earrings and a pink flower necklace and her boots are pink with black wrap, lace and heart detail on them. Her Skirt is a white satin style with pink edging and her fishnet tights stop at the top of the boot just like the first dolls did. Her hair is gorgeously soft in the normal black bunches with pink highlights style and her fringe has been set with some sort of hair spray to keep it in it's stiff fringe form like her character but her hair can be washed and re-styled if wished. Her makeup has been beautifully done and the extra touch of the glitter around her eyes and her signature heart shaped beauty mark that her webisode character has near her left eye has even been done. Draculaura comes with a pink coloured doll stand but no hair brush or diary as usual with the dolls.

Draculaura is the 1600 year old daughter of Count Dracula. Draculaura is a vegan vampire and doesn't like blood or even saying the word blood. Her best friends are Clawdeen Wolf and Frankie Stein and she is dating Clawd Wolf. She is also friends with Lagoona Blue, Ghoulia Yelps and Cleo de Nile. Draculaura is a a lovely character and is always nice and friendly to everyone but she does get upset the easiest. As Draculaura can't see her reflection she often doesn't know if her makeup, hair and clothes look okay but she has gotten used to doing things without a mirror. Draculaura is part of the Fearleading squad and has a pet bat called Count Fabulous.

The Original Ghouls Collection Draculaura doll is beautifully made and my only disappointment is that this new range doesn't come with either diary's, pets or hairbrushes. It would have been really nice if Mattel had just brought out the original originals range again including their pets etc as these are really hard to get hold of nowadays but still this is a lovely doll and to have her look like her webisode character for my nieces when they visit to play with her is wonderful.

LEGO Elves 41074: Azari and the Magical Bakery
LEGO Elves 41074: Azari and the Magical Bakery

5.0 out of 5 stars Lego Elves Azari and the Magical Bakery, 23 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely new range from Lego and I suspect aimed more at girls than boys but there is a boy Elf and my son has loved playing with this today after I built it with him. The set is aimed for 7 years and older and I do think that this would probably be about right unless your little one is really good with building Lego. The bakery took me just over 2 hours to build but I did have a little helper and I wasn't racing to build it.

The set comes very nicely packaged and unlike when I had Lego when I was younger the instruction book is a lot easier to follow and the Lego is split into three numbered bags (1, 2 and 3) to make building the set easier. The instruction book prompts you when to open each bag and the Lego required for that particular section is held within. The set comes with a girl Elf called Azari Firedancer, Flamy the Fox and a boy Elf called Johnny Baker and the set is based on the new Lego Elves mini movies which can be viewed online or via the free app that you can download from Google play or the Apple store. The app also has a game you can play and I really liked this little free extra that Lego have provided. The basic premise is that Emily Jones gets whisked through a portal to the Elves homeland and the four Elves help her find the keys that will send her home.

The Bakery stands at approx 13.5cm high at it's highest point (the roof with the window between) and the base measures 17.5cm by 12.7cm.

The Bakery is brilliant once built and has a bread oven which you can move the bread stick in and out from, mini bakery items such as jars and cookies and cupcakes along with a rolling pin that the roller actually works on. The door opens and the lava oven has a secret mechanism that when pushed opens up to reveal the Fire Key needed to help send Emily home. I shall attach pictures of the finished build hopefully later today or tomorrow and so there will be some pictures of the finished Bakery to view. The attention to detail from Lego really is brilliant and if your little one likes Lego and/or Elves then they will honestly love this set which both my son and I think is absolutely brilliant and we love the Elves theme and mini movies too.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Early Rider Spherovelo Red
Early Rider Spherovelo Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Ride on and Balance Bike in one, 20 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an absolutely brilliant design which my daughter absolutely loves and my son much to his best efforts has been trying to use, although is now a bit too big for it. As I write this my daughter is sat on the Spherovelo with her bottle of milk in her mouth and pushing herself along one handed so effectively baby-drink-driving! My son has just got his first balance bike and my daughter has been desperately trying to sit on it but she is too small for his bike as yet and so the Spherovelo is absolutely perfect. A brilliant design that looks a little like a small caterpillar and has the bonus of starting as a ride on and then progressing to a balance bike when you take the stabilisers off.

We have the red one and it looks a much nicer shade in person than the product pictures show as is more of a darker red than the very bright red in the pictures. I shall be adding pictures to my review hopefully over the weekend and so can hopefully show the red shade and size against another toy for comparison. The front wheel underneath only goes forward and back but the back wheel moves 360degrees so this is where the turning and steering comes into play. The Spherovelo is packaged completely built and so no messing around with assembly as it is able to be played with straight out of the box. I honestly wish I had known about this design sooner as I would have bought one for my son rather than waiting till he was bigger for a 'proper' balance bike as I think my daughter will be running rings around him by the time she progresses to a bigger balance bike. A brilliant design and I think as my daughter was cruising at 7 months that she probably could have used this as a ride on then but obviously this depends on your little one as my son wasn't even crawling at 7 months. A big thumbs up from my daughter and me and I shall add those photos shortly.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Hama Diary Case for Apple iPhone 5C - Pink
Hama Diary Case for Apple iPhone 5C - Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice shade case, 20 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The pink shade for this case is a really nice deep pink so like a raspberry shade. The case is has a magnetic closure and fits the phone okay and seems snug. The inside is a nice soft suede feel lining to protect your phone and also has a couple of card slots and a hidden sort of wallet section although I'd still use my purse separately but this may be fine for the odd card or note if wanting to travel light. A really nice case and it has a real leather look rather than a shiny plastic look like some other cases.

Hama Vertical Window Case for Apple iPhone 5C - Pink
Hama Vertical Window Case for Apple iPhone 5C - Pink

3.0 out of 5 stars Different Colour to one ordered, 20 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The case I received is a totally different colour to the one shown in the product pictures. I ordered what looked like a rose pink but instead have received a coral pink or sort of fluorescent coloured pink case. I think there has been some mislabeling as although the sticker from Amazon says pink the actual envelope it arrived in from Hama states Coral-pink. The case is fine other than the colour and fits the phone okay and seems snug. The inside is a nice soft lining to protect your phone and if I could get over the colour then I'd really like the case. The case closes with a sort of magnetic closure and the phone seems secure inside. I'd just double check the colours when ordering.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20