Profile for S. Wilson > Reviews

Content by S. Wilson
Top Reviewer Ranking: 68

S. Wilson (UK)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hippychick Toddler Footmuff (Navy Blue)
Hippychick Toddler Footmuff (Navy Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Universal Multi Season Toddler Footmuff, 24 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm already very familiar with the Hippychick brand as I have bought quite a lot of their products in the past and especially their Bumpsters Assorted Cot Bar Bumpers (Large, Pack of 10, Pink), of which I have now bought 6 packs (4 in the large size and 2 in the small size) over the last few years. Just to explain you don't need that many packs for a cot and that the amount I bought was to cover both my sons cot when he was a baby in the blue design and then last year to cover my baby daughters cot in the pink (I have cots which have bars all of the way around and so I found I needed 2 large and 1 small pack per cot). Anyway sorry to digress and I'll get back onto the footmuff.

The footmuff is as to be expected from Hippychick of a great design and fantastic quality. Just to clarify in case there is any confusion from reading some of the other reviews, that you get two covers (a winter thick cover and a spring/autumn thinner cover) and that these attach to the back part of the footmuff independently of each other and do not attach to each other so that both covers are on the footmuff at the same time. The zippers do not allow the two covers to connect to each other and this was clearly not the intended design from Hippychick. The two covers are so that you can swap between them depending on how cold it is or use one whilst the other is being washed. The winter cover is generously padded for those cold winter days and the spring/autumn cover is still nicely padded but not as thickly as the winter cover for milder cold days. Both covers have been Teflon proofed and so provide windproof and waterproof cover for your little one. Both covers have a small pocket in the front for keeping little hands warm or storing small items or toys and both covers have poppers so that you can fold down the top portion if required. Both covers are lined with a soft cream fleece material for added cosyness.

The footmuff is universal and so should fit most pushchairs. I have tried it out on both my sons and daughters pushchairs and the footmuff fit them perfectly. The footmuff has an elasticated pocket at the back behind the head part to enable you to slip this over your pushchair's headrest and this is a brilliant design idea as it stops the footmuff slipping down the pushchair as other footmuff's I've used tend to do. The footmuff has six height slots (three height positions) for your pushchairs shoulder straps, two waist slots (one of either side) and two crotch slots for your five point safety harness in your pushchair which ensures your little one stays strapped in safely when using the footmuff.

There is a washing label inside the footmuff that advises that the footmuff can be hand/machine washed at 30degrees with non bio washing powder but that fabric softener must not be used on it and that contact with hair spray or insect repellent should be avoided. The footmuff should be line or hang dried and not tumble dried nor hung on a radiator or near a heater (obviously because of the teflon material). We haven't had to machine wash the footmuff as yet as with the days being warm we haven't had to really use it other than to test it but I thought it would be helpful to point out the washing and care instructions.

I'll be honest in that I struggled for a while to work out how to take off the cover that was attached to the main back part in order to swap the covers around as both sides have a double zipper and I couldn't work it out. To take the covers off you move both zippers on each side together towards the bottom of the footmuff and providing they are slotted together they allow the cover to be dis-attached from the back part. I wondered why Hippychick had put double zippers on each side for a little bit but then worked out that they have done this so you can open the zippers on either side if required for ventilation or even open the zippers at the bottom to let muddy shoes sit outside of the footmuff.

Inside the footmuff the bottom section where your little ones feet will go has been given a short part without the cream fleece so that if your little one does have muddy feet they can rest on this wipe clean part.

Hippychick have been very clever in that they have also made the piping around the footmuff (grey piping around zipper and front pocket) reflective so that if you are out on a dark winters day or after dark this will reflect in car headlights so a nice safety feature which I have tested out with my hubby holding the footmuff in front of my car's headlights and so this does actually work. Finally there is a little clip attached to the side of the main back part of the footmuff and this could be used for attaching one of your little ones toys when out and about.

Another quality product with lots of thought into how a parent would use the footmuff from Hippychick and I can't wait to use this properly when the days get colder again.

Mickey Mouse Play Around Clubhouse
Mickey Mouse Play Around Clubhouse

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but not the best Playset we have had, 23 May 2015
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
My son absolutely loves Mickey Mouse/Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and I bought this for my sons birthday at only slightly under the recommended retail price for it and I really wish I had managed to get it when it was at half price as it is at the time of me writing this review. The set is okay but once the initial excitement over the set wore off my son now rarely plays with this and prefers to play with the Firehouse, Mouska Medics Van or Fire Truck that he has also.

The problems with the set are the same as other reviewers have mentioned in that the slide continually comes off and that the plane doesn't spin smoothly enough around without whichever figure is sitting inside falling out. For the full price I don't think the set is really good value for money but at half the price as it is now then I think it's not a bad set.

The set comes with the following:
Play Around Clubhouse
Slide
Plane and cloud line attachment
Telescope for on the trap door lever
Mickey Figurine
Minnie Figurine
Table and 2 Chairs
Purple See-Saw

The set measures approx 38cm wide including the slide, approx 38cm high to the top of the handle and approx 18cm deep at the deepest point so it is a really good size and the carry handle is a really good feature.

My baby daughter is under the recommended 2 years and older age for the set but she actually plays with this more than my son does along with the rest of their Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Minnie Boutique toys and so if your little one isn't prone to trying to eat things then I would say they should be able to play with this set under the recommended age.

The main feature of the clubhouse apart from the slide is the 'secret' trapdoor and your little one activates this by placing one of the figures on top of the red heart underneath the carry handle and then pressing down on the purple lever with the mickey mouse head outline on (and where the telescope fits). The figure then drops into the trapdoor and the chute door opens with the Toodles face on above the slide and the figure then drops and slides down the slide. There are a couple of fixed blue seats inside the clubhouse but the set comes with a yellow movable table and chairs and the door in the boot also opens. There is a purple see-saw which the figures can be put in and rocked and the plane also has space for a figure although as mentioned above the figures always seem to fall out when my son pushes the plane around the clubhouse.

A nice toy and if you have other characters and play sets from the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Minnie's Bowtique range then there is a lot more play with it for your little one than on it's own but I do feel the full price is a bit overpriced for what it is and the current half price or even two thirds of the full price is a lot more reasonable mainly because the slide seems to continually come off.

Melissa & Doug Vanity Set - Decorate-Your-Own
Melissa & Doug Vanity Set - Decorate-Your-Own

5.0 out of 5 stars Another High Quality Melissa & Doug Product, 23 May 2015
This is yet another high quality Melissa and Doug product that I have purchased and they are fast becoming (if not already) a very firm household and now friends and family favourite of ours (my nieces love these little sets and my Mummy friends have been getting them for their little ones too after seeing mine). I was only introduced to Melissa and Doug late last year and since then I have amassed quite a collection of their products as the quality of them is always superb. They also make beautiful gifts and stocking fillers and I bought a few of these Vanity Sets and the matching Melissa & Doug : Decorate Your Own Jewellery Box as Christmas stocking fillers for my nieces last year. I love Melissa and Doug products as they are primarily made from wood and often hand painted too and this Vanity Set is made from solid wood and is beautifully painted as a base ready for your little one to add their own creative touches and finish to it.

You get the vanity set, 2 combs, glue, pink glitter glue, purple glitter glue, silver glitter glue, gems and sparkly stickers with the set and it also has a pull out drawer for storing trinkets. The set is quite small but a perfect size for little ones and the fact they get to decorate the set and combs in their own personal style and the creative time this takes is really part of the value of the set. The set is absolutely gorgeous and would make a lovely little stocking filler or gift.

I may sound like a bit of a fan of M&D products and to some extent I am as when I purchase these products I know from past experience I will not be let down and so far I haven't. I can honestly not recommend Melissa & Doug products enough from their wooden toys and creative sets right up to their dress up outfits. I think if you haven't discovered Melissa and Doug products already then you will be very pleasantly surprised when and if you get your first M&D piece and as I have said above I honestly can't recommend their products enough.

Chicco 123 Activity Centre Baby Walker - Green
Chicco 123 Activity Centre Baby Walker - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Grows with your Little One, 21 May 2015
Length:: 1:56 Mins

I have two little ones and both of them are absolutely thrilled with this walker/scooter from Chicco. Not only is it a standard sit in walker but it also converts to a push along walker when your little one is ready and then finally into a sit on scooter. It really is a fantastic little invention and the fact that it is 3 products in 1 means that it is not only a space saver but also a pennies/ pounds saver too.

We have had both a Chicco Band Walker and Vtech 1st Steps push along walker in the past which we bought when our son was little and so we are already familiar with both the sit in style walker and push along while standing walker and so to have both styles of walker in one product with a 'bonus' scooter is brilliant in my opinion. I've often had new parent friends asking me which style walker we went with and when I've told them both they've often asked which style was better as they only wish to buy one version and so this product deals with that issue very nicely.

The walker is height adjustable and has two height settings which are easy to adjust. The walker also has the required six safety stoppers underneath which came into effect a few years ago and I believe are now mandatory in sit in walkers. These completely stop the Walker should your little one step over a step going down as it brings the Walker down onto these stoppers and is a really good and now mandatory safety feature in these style walkers. The seat stores away inside the front column of the walker when it is not in scooter mode which I thought was a handy little storage solution although when the walker mode is finished with you will need to find somewhere to store the walker seat and back bar part and so I'd recommend keeping the box for this if possible.

The three different modes are really easy to swap between and especially when you've done them once or twice already. The handle bars are height adjustable and have two height settings as with the walker when in sit in walker mode. The play panel is removable if required and so can also be played with by your little one even before they start to use the walker. The play panel has an off switch setting, nature switch setting and I think the third setting is sill sounds as it has a picture of a silly face next to it but I'm not entirely sure. The panel is brilliant and one of the best walker panels I've seen over the years especially with the different colours for the lights which light on and off in time to the sounds and music. The addition of the leaf mirror and clacking flower also add some extra interaction for your little one. The phone starts to get annoying after a while as it seems to be my baby daughters favourite part on the panel and seems to be constantly ringing!

The walker also comes with a sticker sheet which after visiting the Chicco website you can print with your little one's name on to add to the walker and personalise it. There are 3 different print style options to choose from too and I think a nice little extra for you to personalise the walker for your little one.

I was initially going to just add some photos of the walker but I've added a video instead as I'm so impressed with the walker I wanted to show anyone considering it how good it actually is and hopefully help them make an informed choice about it and so I hope the video is useful to someone.

A brilliant invention that grows with your child and a big thumbs up from my children, hubby and I.

Vanish Gold Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.4 kg
Vanish Gold Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.4 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Stain Removing, 21 May 2015
I bought a couple of these tubs recently on subscribe and save and as I don't use a scoop in every wash I still haven't worked through my first tub yet - the tub size is extremely generous. With two little ones who seem to gravitate towards food, muck and generally anything that will stain their clothes I can say I am seriously impressed with the stain removing power from this powder. I was a bit dubious at first as I have had to try everything in the past to remove stains including buying another well known brand's small containers that are stain specific and yet those tough baby food and chocolate stains never seemed to come completely out and especially with their nursery clothes as the nursery doesn't seem to even try to avoid stains on their clothes.

I normally put just one scoop in any wash that I am doing which has my little ones clothes in it and where they have spilled food, paint, felt tip, pen, mud, muck etc on their clothes and other than anything I don't wash within sort of 24 hours the stains do actually come out. For the more stubborn stains I pre-treat the actual stain but you can also soak clothes too is you wish. I tend to avoid this as with the powder removing stains so well I worry that it will also remove the colour in their clothes if I soak them and so far I haven't actually needed to do this anyway.

A really brilliant stain remover and the tub size is very generous. The price on subscribe and save is generally cheaper than the local supermarket but as yet I still haven't had to re-order from my first order. I would definitely recommend this powder for both new and slightly older stains. I can't confirm the stain removing power for older stains as I haven't had to try to remove any yet as I try to tackle them as quickly as possible but I'm sure it will probably fare very well against those too.

Henry Hugglemonster Henry 15 cm Soft Toy
Henry Hugglemonster Henry 15 cm Soft Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Roarsomely Huggerific!, 21 May 2015
My son is Henry Hugglemonster mad and we have bought the Henry Hugglemonster Summer 15 cm Soft Toy for his little baby sister to stop her swiping his Henry Roar Back, Talking Summer and Talking Henry soft toys so when I spotted the same size Henry soft toy I knew I had to get it for her so that she had her own 'full set' of Henry and Summer. She loves both the Henry and Summer small 15cm toys and sleeps with them in her cot each night and they come on car journeys with us too.

The toy itself is lovely and soft and despite the conflicting age recommendations in the product description (in the main description it says from birth and in the technical details it says from 3 years) I think it is probably suitable from birth rather than 3 years as I can't see any small parts that could come off and be a danger to a baby as the eyes etc are all stitching as opposed to buttons/beads although there is no age confirmation on the label attached to the toy. The label does however state that the toy can be machine washed at 40degrees which we haven't had to do yet but I'm sure once it's been chewed a bit more by my baby daughter that we will need to test this out. I have measured Henry and can confirm he is 15cm tall from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet.

This is a gorgeous little soft and cuddly toy which is perfect for little/baby hands and is a big hit with both of my children. I am hoping they bring out soft toys of the rest of the Hugglemonster family and friends both in the larger 23cm and smaller 15cm sizes so that we can have the whole family and I notice and Ivor soft toy has just been released.

Fisher-Price Minnie Mouse Sweet Friends
Fisher-Price Minnie Mouse Sweet Friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Sisters, 20 May 2015
My son absolutely loves Mickey Mouse/Mickey Mouse Clubhouse/Minnie's BowToons on Disney Junior and his baby sister loves it too so when I spotted this little set at a bargain price I knew I had to get it for them. I mainly bought it for my baby daughter (but my son has been playing with it too with the rest of his Clubhouse toys) as she loves watching the shows with her big brother and trying to swipe her brothers Mickey Mouse Clubhouse toys! I thought even though she is under the recommended age for the set that this would be perfect for her own little set and stop any disagreements over the other Clubhouse toys.

My daughter absolutely loves this little set and spends ages putting the two sisters in and out of the swing and swinging the swing with them in it, along with putting the other Clubhouse figurines we have in the swing too when my son doesn't notice! There are no really small pieces in the set and the smallest pieces are the figures themselves and so I think providing your little one doesn't try to put everything in their mouths/eat everything that this set is probably safe for under 2's and my daughter is well under 2 and plays very happily with the set.

The set comes with the swing which is already built and comes with the two figures, Millie and Melody Mouse who bend at the waist to enable them to sit on the swing. Both figures fit on the swing seat (and so do the other Clubhouse figures from the other sets) and the swing can either be pushed by the seat part or your little one can use the bow at the top to swing them.

The swing measures approx 16cm high to the top of the bow, 5cm deep at the deepest point and 13.5cm wide at the widest point and so is a nice size especially alongside other Minnie and Mickey Clubhouse/Bowtique toys. Millie and Melody stand at approx 6.5cm each when standing.

The swing has lots of Minnie Mouse touches including a picture of Minnie at the middle of the swing arch inside a heart, little spot designs on the bow and swing seat along with little hearts and roof tiles on the arch. The figures aren't as well done as the product pictures as for example the green colour on Melody's feet is a different green shade to the rest of her (not terrible but if I was picking for faults then this is one of them) and both of their paintwork and skin tone isn't done as well but they do still resemble Millie and Melody and both of my children love the set.

Millie and Melody are Minnie Mouse's nieces and feature in her spin off show from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse; Minnie's BowToons. The sisters are in a couple of episodes; Flower Fix and Trouble Times Two.

A nice toy and if you have other characters and play sets from the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Minnie's Bowtique range then there is a lot more play with it for your little one than on it's own.

The Heir (The Selection, Book 4) (The Selection Stories)
The Heir (The Selection, Book 4) (The Selection Stories)
by Kiera Cass

4.0 out of 5 stars There Can Be Only One (No Spoilers), 20 May 2015
I'd like to firstly explain that I was only going to score this book three stars with the main reason being that I simply can't stand the main character in this book Eadlyn and have made absolutely no emotional attachment to her character as I would normally do with main character's when reading a series. I have also struggled to make any emotional attachment with any of the other main characters too and to be honest I have even struggled with past characters from the first three books that I absolutely loved as they all seem pale shadows of themselves. I have decided to give the book and the characters the benefit of the doubt and trust that some emotional feeling will develop for me in the next book in the series, as in my mind a good book is one that has you engrossed, hooked and 'in the books world' within the first few pages or at least the first couple of chapters and unfortunately this book did none of those for me. I absolutely loved the first three books and read them just under three months ago and all within a few days of each other and so I was hoping for the same magic with this book. I have therefore chosen to award four stars as despite my lack of feeling for any of the main characters I do like the series' premise and the first three books were so good that I am hoping this book is building to a fantastic final fifth book. If you are thinking of reading this book and haven't read the first three then I would urge you to read them first as otherwise you may not appreciate the storyline or world if reading this one first - sorry Kiera Cass.

The Selection series is set in a dystopian future after World War 4 and following America being taken over at one point by China a man called Gregory Illea manages to help the country regain independence. As a result he becomes King and renames the country Illea. However that is not the only thing he re-organises and he re-organises the country into Castes which number from One to Eight. If you are a One you are a member of the Royal Household and if you are an Eight you are essentially a beggar on the streets.
This fourth book follows on after America Singer (a Five) has won The Selection (A competition where 35 girls from across the country compete for the Prince's hand in marriage) and married Prince Maxon who is now King Maxon and her his Queen. America and Maxon have had their own children they have their own children and are very happily married. They have not only changed how Illea works and dissolved the Castes so that everyone is now equal but they have also changed tradition and ensured that their first born (twins) despite being a girl is also Heir to the throne rather than their son who despite being second born would have been named Heir just because he was a man.

Their daughter Princess Eadlyn is gently coerced into having her own Selection with 35 eligible men from across Illea in order to distract the country from the civil unrest that has been happening as some people don't agree with the Castes being dissolved. Eadlyn goes into the Selection with a plan in mind to simply go through the motions and not get emotionally involved with everyone however despite her cold, snooty exterior it would appear that she is not the Ice Princess she tries to be...............

I'm hoping the next as yet untitled installment will scoop this back for me as this book left me feeling a little disappointed to be honest as Eadlyn is just such a cold hearted, bratty and snootish girl who certainly doesn't deserve to be Heir with her attitude. I was poised to try to purchase the two books that hold the four novellas; The Prince, The Guard, The Queen and The Favourite but I have just discovered that a new book is to be released in October containing all four novellas with bonus material called Happily Ever After and so I have now placed a pre-order for that instead. I'm very excited to see that Celeste will have a short part from her point of view as she was one of my favourite characters from the first three books.

The books so far are as follows in case this is of any help to someone:

1. The Selection (The Selection, Book 1) (The Selection Stories)
2. The Elite (The Selection, Book 2) (The Selection Stories)
3. The One (The Selection, Book 3) (The Selection Stories)
4. The Heir
5. As Yet Untitled

Novella Book - Happily Ever After (The Selection series) this contains the following ebooks but all together
The Prince (The Selection Novellas, Book 1) (The Selection Series)
The Guard (The Selection Novellas, Book 2) (The Selection Series)
The Queen (The Selection) (The Selection series)
The Favorite (The Selection) (The Selection series)

Philips GC4521/87 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 200g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt
Philips GC4521/87 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 200g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Non Steam Generator Iron, 19 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have a steam generator iron which we use for bulk ironing but when you have maybe one or two items that you want to iron quickly before going out for example it can be a bit of a pain to get it out and set it up. This is by far the best 'normal' steam iron I have used and the steam boost trigger under the handle is brilliant for when you want to try to iron deeper creases.

The iron has a sleek look in black and grey with red and yellow highlights on the buttons. The iron is a nice weight without being too heavy and has a sort of soft grip in grey on the underside of the handle which does add comfort when holding the iron. The iron has the usual heat settings of synthetics, silk, cotton and linen and the steam setting automatically comes into effect when at a temperature of higher than silk. The temperature is set via a dial under the handle like with other steam irons. The water tank is filled by tilting the iron slightly under running water and to access the tank you simply open the little door above the spray button near the top of the handle and this clicks shut easily too. In addition to the steam boost trigger there is a slide near the spray button which you can use to select dry steam setting, eco setting or auto steam setting. The iron has a temperature light that goes on to indicate the iron is heating up and turns off when the selected temperature has been reached. The steam boost trigger button (under the handle so you can squeeze it when holding the iron) can be used to iron hanging garments and items such as curtains and this is a really handy function.

The iron has two really clever features in addition to the other features/functions and they are the safety auto off and the quick calc release. The safety auto off function automatically switches off the iron if it has not been used for 30 seconds resting on it's plate or 8 minutes resting standing up and I think this feature is brilliant for if you get called away by a little one for example. The quick calc clean is another brilliant function and this is a yellow container under the iron which collects the calc deposits from the water. To empty this you simply move the release switch next to it to the unlocked padlock sign, pull out the calc tray, tip the contents of the calc tray away, replace the calc tray and then finally lock the switch into the padlock locked position again. It's recommended this is done once a month or more regularly if you live in a hard water area. There is also a calc clean function which again Philips recommend is done monthly or again more regularly if you live in a hard water area.

The Azur Performer comes with a 2 year guarantee and also a free cord guide which clips onto the edge of your ironing board and helps keep the cord tidy whilst ironing. The cord length is okay and about average for a steam iron I think however as with all of our other irons we have always had to use an extension lead when ironing due to our old Victorian house having the sockets near the floor rather than halfway up the wall in newer build homes and so the cord length is not really an issue for us as it seems to have been with other reviewers as we have to use an extension lead anyway. The soleplate is wonderful and just glides over your ironing and the tip is nicely pointed to get into tight spots. The iron heats up quickly and with the extra features and the steam boost is the next best thing in my opinion to a steam generator iron.

Sylvanian Families Nursery Double Decker Bus
Sylvanian Families Nursery Double Decker Bus

4.0 out of 5 stars Sylvanian Families Nursery Double Decker Bus, 15 May 2015
This is a really nice addition to the Sylvanian Families world and especially the Nursery which I bought recently for one of my niece's birthdays. The Bus measures approx 11cm wide by approx 12.5cm high by approx 21cm long and is a pale yellow colour with silver bumpers and grills and the internal seats are a very pinky beige colour.

In the box you'll find:-
The Nursery Double Decker Bus
A Slide
A Ladder
Stickers for your to add yourself
A Reversible Cardboard piece for the bottom of the top row of seats
The Top Row of Seats for the Bus

Unfortunately the bus does not come with the driver which although I knew this before ordering this for my niece is still a bit disappointing as I've yet to find where to buy the driver and for that matter the nursery students although she is currently playing with her Sylvanian babies she has with the nursery and bus.

The reversible cardboard piece fits on the bottom of the top row of bus seats which then makes the top of the bus into either a play area with paddling pool or grassy play area for the little figures. I can't see this cardboard piece lasting a long time with use and that's the reason I've deducted a star from my marking and that I think the bus driver should be included. The ladder and slide are nice additions to the bus and turn it into a play area for the nursery children instead of just a bus and my niece loves playing with this alongside the nursery. The bus of course moves and the stickers brighten it up as without them the bus would look a bit bland. A really nice set that my niece has added to her Sylvanian Families range and very reminiscent for me as I used to have Sylvanian Families toys when I was growing up. I managed to get this when it was on offer and so very happy with it apart from the cardboard piece and lack of bus driver.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20