Profile for Alex > Reviews

Content by Alex

Alex

Citizen Watch Perpetual Chrono A.T Men's Quartz Watch with Brown Dial Analogue Display and Brown Leather Strap AT4006-06X

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the watch and it worked fine until 9 months later when it just stopped working., 6 Mar. 2017

I bought the watch so I'd have a classic looking watch that I wouldn't need to worry about battery etc. and that would just work. It was fantastic and the time zones it has built in is great, although having 3 US time zones doesn't really apply to me since I live in Europe.
Sadly over the weekend it just stopped. None of the buttons work and there is nothing I can do to make it work again. The battery was roughly 80% and having been on a couple of sunny holidays was usually nearly fully charged. If it wasn't for that I'd rate the watch 5 stars without hesitation.

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Around-Ear Headphones for iOS - Black
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Around-Ear Headphones for iOS - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Damaged after less than a month use, otherwise good sound and fit, 4 Aug. 2016
Mostly good sound and fit, although the sound seem a little weaker on one side and the adjustment part on one side has come loose after less than a month of use.
If it wasn't for those two issues I'd give it 4 stars, but since I got a product that barely lasted I can't possibly rate it that high.

Updating review: after a year my replacement set broke as well. Same issue as before. Sound have been really good, but the build of these have not been very good considering a second set have broken the same way despite careful use.

Takenoko Board Game
Takenoko Board Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and cute game, well worth a go, 15 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Takenoko Board Game (Toy)
Took a few min to get into as most board games do for the first time, but after that we've had a lot of fun playing this.
We ended up altering some rules for the cards you can draw as one of your two actions to make sure the game would last longer and be more fun.
The game is easy to learn (we've had games with a lot more confusion) and a lot of fun with 2-4 people. The pieces and tiles are nicely made and we felt it was good value for money.

A New Introduction to Old Norse: I Grammar: 1
A New Introduction to Old Norse: I Grammar: 1
by Michael Barnes

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be improved, but not bad still, 11 Dec. 2012
Let me just start with the fact that I've not gone through the book fully yet. So don't rely fully on my review.

I am also from Norway so Fluent in Norwegian, (English) and have a good understanding of New Norse, Swedish and Danish.
The reason I want to learn Old Norse is because I found I could understand a decent amount of words when coming across some texts on the net and figured it would be good to learn the language my main language is built on and also understand a little of Faroese and Icelandic as well to cover the Nordic (minus Finnish) languages.
I'm going through the book and trying to learn on my own and in my spare time and whilst traveling to work.

In the beginning of the book they go through how certain letters are pronounced when next to certain letters and how they are pronounced when next to other letters (if that makes any sense). What I find unhelpful with it is that it uses sounds of French words. I don't speak French and have little idea of how the word examples are pronounced so I may very well be getting the wrong sounds. I decided on using a more Norwegian/New Norse sound to these letters or at least the closest to the letter they resemble in the Norwegian alphabet. If you are to speak the language you learn, being able to pronounce it is important, and especially when there are letters and sounds that can change a word that looks almost the same so much.

Other than that the book does well to describe how sentences are constructed, giving sentences in Old Norse, it's translation and the meaning of it in English. All in all it's a good book to learn the grammar of Old Norse and I would recommend it to anyone who'd like to learn.
However, like I said at the top, at the time of writing this I have not finished the book.

The Complete Far Side
The Complete Far Side
by Gary Larson

5.0 out of 5 stars Massive book of endless brilliance, 6 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Complete Far Side (Hardcover)
I'd first of all mention that this book is massive, I'm talking 3 stacked 15" laptops and weighs about 9,3 kilos. That is some info I couldn't find on the product page which would be very useful as I have packages delivered to an address which has a weight limit of 5 kilos. Luckily I managed to have it delivered after all.

Anyway, enough about that. The book or books rather as it is two big books divided into the years of each comic, one a day pretty much. At half price (50 pounds) I'd say this is my best purchase so far. The books come in a nice box (as illustrated on the top of the product page) and in a nice hardcover. I can't really say much more than, if you grew up with the Far Side or have just seen some of it and want to see more, this is the ultimate collection and very much worth the price. Larson is just brilliant, end of story.