Profile for Will J Bailey > Reviews

Content by Will J Bailey

Will J Bailey (London)

uni-ball Kuru Toga High Grade Premium Edition Mechanical Pencil with Silver Barrel

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan, 1 April 2016
Well, I thought I'd give it go. The turning mechanism doesn't seem to work at all unless I press unnaturally hard, and even then the line doesn't stay sharp, so it appears to just be gimmick.

The grip is too fat for me, and the grooved metal is slightly annoying. The end rubber's a bit hard, though I could live with that.

Also not that it really matters but the pen is quite ugly, with its metal/plastic/thick/thin style, particularly with the holder clip removed (which is a must if you need to manually rotate the pencil in your hand to keep the line sharp).

On the plus side I like the way the lead doesn't fall out too easily.

No, I afraid I'm going to stick with my trusty Pentel P205 / P203. Cheaper, lighter and comfier.

Maxtor OneTouch III USB 2.0 - Hard drive - 750 GB - external - 3.5" - Hi-Speed USB - 7200 rpm - buffer: 16 MB

1.0 out of 5 stars Same as above. Lost everything., 16 July 2009
DO NOT buy this hard drive. I have lost everything.

So upsetting words don't quite do it justice.

I will never buy anything from Seagate/Maxtor ever again.

Cumbia Cumbia
Cumbia Cumbia
Offered by playanywhere

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, but don't be ripped off, 2 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Cumbia Cumbia (Audio CD)
This is a great album of classic cumbia - raw, earthy, steamy dance music from north columbia.

However I notice that the seller is asking 22 quid for it. I bought it for 10 quid from a second hand record shop, so the seller is definitely asking too much.

Also note it's available on Itunes Plus for 13 quid. I'd also recommend Realeza de la Cumbia Sonidera, also on Itunes Plus - it's just as good and under a tenner.

A Tale of the Future: 2 (Phoenix (Viz))
A Tale of the Future: 2 (Phoenix (Viz))
by Osamu Tezuka

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece from the Godfather of Manga, 5 Sept. 2008
If you are a manga or comics fan, this is a must.

This is Tezuka at his very best - a true masterpiece.

Funk Spectrum
Funk Spectrum
Offered by JJmusikman

3.0 out of 5 stars Where are the Band Names?!, 5 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Funk Spectrum (Audio CD)
A decent enough collection of funk - some great, some average.

There is one overwhelmingly irritating issue with release however - there are no band names!

Come on guys. Yes, you deserve credit for finding these tracks and putting them out there, but to not include the names of the people who actually wrote and produced the music whilst your names are plastered all over the record is self-indulgent and disrespectful.

I've got loads of collections like this and almost all of them have a section explaining the curator's choices, putting them in historical and geographical context, then a short blurb on each band and the track.

This collection has nothing like that, and the whole release suffers as a result.

Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels
Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels
by Scott McCloud

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 13 May 2008
Back in the 90s Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics became a seminal text in the field of comics theory, and he has repeated his achievement for comics practice in the noughties with this excellent book.

It is in a different league from all the other 'how to make comics' texts out there, which are usually really just 'how to draw in a manga/superhero/my style'.

Instead he merges theory with practice in a very accessible and engaging way, covering panels, text/image, facial expression, body language, environment, process, technique, genre and style, with a very useful bibliography.

If this book had existed when I was at art college I would have saved myself literally months of time figuring all of this out for myself, but even now I found it incredibly informative and useful.

An absolute must for all aspiring comics artists.