Profile for Alice > Reviews

Content by Alice

Alice (Wales)

Complete Icelandic: Teach Yourself (Book/CD Pack)
Complete Icelandic: Teach Yourself (Book/CD Pack)
by Hildur Jonsdottir

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners!, 26 May 2014
I bought this because I eventually want to do a university course in Icelandic, and I'd love to learn a little beforehand. I'm only about halfway through the book, but I can already say it's fantastic! As well as giving you vocabulary for a variety of common situations (if you were on a short trip to Iceland) there are also lots of grammar "lessons" which are in-depth enough to give you the materials to learn to construct your own sentences, but simply written enough so that anybody can understand and make use of them.
The audio CD is also very useful for pronunciation, and although it's helpful the speakers talk slowly and clearly this particular aspect isn't very "realistic".
Overall, a fantastic product that serves as a great introduction to Icelandic. I haven't even finished it and yet I feel relatively confident with what I've learned and it's only reinforced my want to pursue the language further.. 5/5